http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command  (Read 4134 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 06:29:52 AM »

Does anybody else ever have problems with their PSP not getting recognized when you hook it up via USB?  I've tried hooking it up before powering on and after and nothing ever pops up now.  This happened when I first got my PSP and had a cheap USB data/power splitter cable so I replaced that and it worked fine, but now my regular USB cable is giving me the same results.  Is there a way to force Windows to poll for USB devices?  (maybe I should start my own thread...)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »

EngineNo9, just to make sure, but you're going into USB mode on the PSP after you connect the USB cable right?  It's under the system menu I think, at the very top.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »

Yes simply powering on the PSP does not connect it to Windows.  You actually have to go into your PSP menu and select USB mode-this sounds like it might be your problem.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »

D'oh!  You guys are totally right.  I can't believe I forgot that.  Now I feel like a moron.   disgust

In my defense, I did have a lot of trouble getting my system to detect it and keep a connection with that first cable I had, so when this happened I just assumed there was something goofy. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »

I finally got to try the demo and that was pretty damn fun!  I love the destruction and I think this could only get better once you can do more weapon and squad customization.  I think 15 missions of that length (or a little longer) wouldn't be bad at all and this has shot up my list of games to buy. 

My main issues were the same that everyone else had: namely that the enemy's turn has all their units acting at once and the camera does not move to the action on the battlefield.  That helps to keep the pace up, but it would be nice to have the option for the enemy to take it's turns one at a time. 

I also had several turns where there were no visible enemies and none moving on the tactical map.  I basically had to walk around and destroy the outer walls to get them to appear and start moving towards the wall.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

This has begun shipping on PSP for now (DS shipping later, or maybe just getting its own press release later, apparently):
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071113/20071113005661.html

Though I realistically wouldn't expect to see it in Gamestops (they usually get stuff earliest) until maybe this Thursday.

I agree there was some weirdness going on in the demo, and just hope that maybe it was early code or something.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:11:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »

Look at the article. DS version is NOT shipping yet.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »

Mine showed up today in the mail.  On the third mission so far.  It's been so easy a 5 year old could win without losses.  Hoping it gets challenging.  It makes the demo level look like Diablo in Hell slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2007, 11:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2007, 06:19:29 PM

Look at the article. DS version is NOT shipping yet.
Man, I can't get away from copyeditors even at a gaming forum.  icon_lol OK I changed my post.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 13, 2007, 06:28:15 PM

Mine showed up today in the mail.  On the third mission so far.  It's been so easy a 5 year old could win without losses.  Hoping it gets challenging.  It makes the demo level look like Diablo in Hell slywink

Any RPG elements at all? Anything? Please?

Camera fixed so you can rotate more than a few degrees?

Jump to action option for the enemies turn?

(In other words tell me the demo is not a good representation of the full game.)
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 13, 2007, 06:28:15 PM

I hope that changes. There are only 15 levels. Is there a difficulty selection when you start the game, or do you need to unlock hard mode?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »

I saw no difficulty options.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2007, 02:34:36 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 14, 2007, 01:23:18 PM

I saw no difficulty options.

Whoa there. Only 15 levels, flat easy so far, and no difficulty settings? That's a huge warning sign for me. I hate for you to have to be the guinea pig on this one, Hark, but thank you for the impressions.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »

So did there ever end up to be more customization options or any rpg-lite elements? 

nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2007, 07:31:11 AM »

Anyone see any reviews for this yet, really am tempted to pick it up since the demo was fun and I love the 40k setting, but I don't want something thats going to be easy and short.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2007, 09:11:20 AM »

I've seen no options other than which weapon you want.  It seems to be exactly like the demo, only easier.  I'm sure the demo level is probably coming up in the game.  Hopefully soon and then the ones after are harder.

The demo pretty much IS what the game is.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »

This is looking more like a rent-first type game to me.  icon_neutral Fwiw, Gamestop's schedule has the DS version down for a Dec. 17 release.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »

Any more verdicts on this as you get further in the campaign? I noticed someone already putting up for trade, not a good sign.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2007, 10:17:16 PM

Any more verdicts on this as you get further in the campaign? I noticed someone already putting up for trade, not a good sign.  icon_confused

For me, the difficulty ramped up around mission 8 or 9.  I just finished misison 10, it took me two tries to get through and I just barely squeaked by the second time.   

So far, I'd say it's a passable tbs that does destructable terrain really well.   It's a nice change of pace from all the fantasy, grid based tbs games out there, but there's lots of things that could have been improved on.  More squad customization options, a more fleshed out story and a true rotatable camera could've made this game great.  As it stands, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, and that probably has something to do with me being a big 40K nerd.  You could probably nock off half a point or so if you could care less about the license.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »

Warhammer fans might be interested in this THQ/Relic competition to win professionally Warhammer-skinned consoles.
To celebrate the launch of Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command tomorrow, we're giving away an exclusive Limited Edition PSP console, as well as copies of the game and Squad Command T-shirts!

THQ, in conjunction with Games Workshop and a team of professional modelers has created a limited set of twelve exclusive Squad Command themed games consoles - and one of each is bound for the UK. Right now, the PSP is up for grabs - to be in with a chance of winning this awe-inspiring bit of kit, head over to our competitions page and answer the fiendishly difficult question.
So far I've only seen the UK competition page:
http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/2998

And you can glimpse the PSP and DS versions (that competition's later when the DS version releases, presumably) at their small Flickr photo album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thq-games/sets/72157603267557457/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:23 AM »

Well according to the IGN review, the PSP version was total shiite and the DS version was (as I predicted) even worse.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/836/836158p1.html
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »

I've only played the first mission on DS, but rather liked it.
I thought the presentation was pretty good. The controls are workable.
The biggest flaw, I'd say (as pointed out in reviews) is inability to rotate the battlefield.
This makes it tough to see what's going on at times. Combined with the fact that the
walls don't always go transparent when they probably should is annoying.

Having said that, I'm definitely looking forward to playing it more.
I love the way it draws line of sight. I like how the action points work
(you can use more AP to increase chance to hit, for instance).

It could be more problems pop up later, but I've got a couple games
which have gotten lousy reviews that we are enjoying (another being
Godzilla on the Wii).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: