http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:25:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command  (Read 3896 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »

Worthplaying has the announcement here about this game for the DS and PSP.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »

There are never enough TBS games!

Though Age of Empires was too slow for my on the DS.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »

Oh hells yes.

I was waiting for a western/euro style TBS game to come out for the PSP.  By that I mean a game that doesn't use the japanese style of turn based strategy found in games like Disgaea, something more X-Com like in combat, rather than quirky gameplay mechanics.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:29:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 20, 2007, 01:08:09 AM

Oh hells yes.

I was waiting for a western/euro style TBS game to come out for the PSP.  By that I mean a game that doesn't use the japanese style of turn based strategy found in games like Disgaea, something more X-Com like in combat, rather than quirky gameplay mechanics.
Hrmm decision to buy PSP this week getting stronger.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:44:23 AM »

Bah, as much as I like the system, I'd say you should wait until after E3.  It's likely Sony will announce the PSP slim at the E3 event, which will probably mean another price drop for the PSP1.  Or if not a price drop, at least you'll know for sure if they have any bigger plans for the PSP, as well as upcoming games for 2008.  Then with all that info you can decide whether to get one now.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:03:59 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 20, 2007, 03:44:23 AM

Bah, as much as I like the system, I'd say you should wait until after E3.  It's likely Sony will announce the PSP slim at the E3 event, which will probably mean another price drop for the PSP1.  Or if not a price drop, at least you'll know for sure if they have any bigger plans for the PSP, as well as upcoming games for 2008.  Then with all that info you can decide whether to get one now.

Are they really planning on calling it the PSP Slim? I mean it's already thin...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:07:09 AM »

PSP slim is what the community is currently calling it, we really have no idea what it'll be named.  It won't be PSP2 since that means an entirely new handheld.  They can't call it PSP Lite for obvious reasons, so Slim fits the bill.

Back to the topic at hand, anyone else remember that tactical turn based game set in the 40k universe?  Chaos Gate or something?  I only played the demo to that game and liked it, hopefully this game will deliver a similar vibe.

However I notice from screenshots that this is more a single squad thing, since the interface seems to have about 6 spaces for units.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »

Also heard that it only has 13 missions for singleplayer.  Barring some sort of skirmish mode, or a 19.99 price tag, I don't think I'm interested in this title anymore.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:21:37 AM »

From the wording of the press release, it's pretty clear that the game includes infrastructure online play.  Which means regardless of whether there's AI skirmish, there's online play so that's a lot of replayability.

Also don't forget that a lot of games have a small number of missions, but with multiple levels per mission.  Whether not this game goes that route remains to be seen.

My main problem with the game is that it's only space marines.  I would have loved to some of the other races in the game.  From one screenshot it looks like there's an imperial guard comissar or maybe inquisitor's corpse, but nothing else.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:24:28 AM by Turtle » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:30:38 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 20, 2007, 07:21:37 AM

Which means regardless of whether there's AI skirmish, there's online play so that's a lot of replayability.

If you like online play. I don't. Give a good SP campaign any day.

Anyway, I loved Chaos Gate, one of my all time favorites, if it's anything like it, it will be a day one purchase.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »

Yeah... the multi-part missions could be a possibility.  As far as MP goes, that's why I have a 360.  I've never done any online with the PSP.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »

I'm a sucker for 40K, so I'll probably buy this one. I'll wait for a review or two though. The 13 mission thing kind of has me concerned.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 20, 2007, 03:44:23 AM

Homebrew, PSX emulation. Only models up to 3.1 can do it, and its considerably more difficult after 2.8 and with the new revision motherboards. 3.3 and beyond and considered completely shored up right now for the homebrew, and what I have read indicates it will likely remain that way-there is almost no chance of Sony letting this happen again with the Slim. As you can probably already tell on trading sights, PSPs with firmware/mobo revisions that can be downgraded are slowly getting more rare, and are fairly valuable as trade bait. I see virtually no danger in picking up on now (I found one w/2.7) playing my PS1 rpgs and some PSP games, then selling it for only a minor loss (if that) to those still in search of emulation in 3-6 months when the Slim comes out and I can use it purely as a PSP/media system. It's a very low risk proposition right now. That said, I still am tempted to just wait-but playing my PS1 rpgs on-the-go? Thats exactly the kick in the pants I need to actually play and finish those games.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:13:24 PM »

You can now see a video of the PSP version over here at VE, and check out some screenshots at the official THQ site.  I think it looks pretty sweet if you're a fan of the genre or Warhammer 40k.  Of course the PSP version looks better graphically, but the DS one looks pretty cool, too. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 28, 2007, 04:13:24 PM

You can now see a video of the PSP version over here at VE, and check out some screenshots at the official THQ site.  I think it looks pretty sweet if you're a fan of the genre or Warhammer 40k.  Of course the PSP version looks better graphically, but the DS one looks pretty cool, too. 

If the gameplay/content is identical, it's going to be a very tough choice for me between the PSP widescreen/graphics and the DS interface.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 06:04:48 PM »

A handheld Chaos Gate like game with a nice graphics update. Im in for sure on this one.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:16 PM »

I was just coming to post that video. looks great. But in the video it says turn based then a moment later says real time destruction. smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:21 PM »

That looks awesome! I can't see any good reason to pick it up for the DS though.  Unless there are some significant control advantages anyways.  Being able to click on a unit with your stylus is not enough to top the sweet, sweet graphics of the PSP.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 04:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 28, 2007, 11:22:21 PM

That looks awesome! I can't see any good reason to pick it up for the DS though.  Unless there are some significant control advantages anyways.  Being able to click on a unit with your stylus is not enough to top the sweet, sweet graphics of the PSP.

I like the DS dual screen, not just the stylus. It's nice being able to see a map or unit info on the top screen. Judging by screenshots the top screen just shows a map though, so if that's all they use it for I will be getting the PSP version I think.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »

Well to help your choice, the PSP has wifi support and it's online systems are much better developed than the DS.  I've played Killzone Liberation online quite a bit with no problems.  It was really odd playing online with a handheld, but fun.  No friend codes to hassle with.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 08:40:46 PM »

Gamespy got some hands-on time with both versions (DS, PSP) [preview covers both]:
http://ds.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/warhammer-40000-squad-command/828169p1.html
By most accounts it'll look and sound better on PSP. Having the map in the DS top screen might be helpful in some situations. The fully destructible environments should be a hoot.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 11:33:27 PM »

Quote from: Gamespy
The PSP version of the game understandably looks a lot better than the DS version. The character models are better-defined, the environments look cleaner, and the smoke effect and the larger widescreen allows you to see more of the battlefield at a time than on the DS' cramped screen. You also miss out on the attractive, yet brief, movies that set the scene in the PSP version, replaced by stills on the DS. There is an advantage to playing on the DS, however, as you can see both the battle view and the tactical map at the same time on the system's dual screens

PSP it is then.  I'm sorry but being able to look at a map in a different screen does not sell me on that version. DS FTL
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 18, 2007, 11:33:27 PM

Quote from: Gamespy
The PSP version of the game understandably looks a lot better than the DS version. The character models are better-defined, the environments look cleaner, and the smoke effect and the larger widescreen allows you to see more of the battlefield at a time than on the DS' cramped screen. You also miss out on the attractive, yet brief, movies that set the scene in the PSP version, replaced by stills on the DS. There is an advantage to playing on the DS, however, as you can see both the battle view and the tactical map at the same time on the system's dual screens

PSP it is then.  I'm sorry but being able to look at a map in a different screen does not sell me on that version. DS FTL

Yep, that seals the deal for me, PSP it is. I haven't been this excited about a game in awhile. Please don't suck.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 01:37:36 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 19, 2007, 12:13:25 AM

Yep, that seals the deal for me, PSP it is. I haven't been this excited about a game in awhile. Please don't suck.

Agreed. The previews I have seen within the last month have convinced me that the PSP version would be the one I'd purchase.

--Devil
KC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:49 AM »

There is a demo of this here http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/10/24/warhammer-40-000-squad-command-downloadable-demo/
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 01:39:16 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 26, 2007, 01:22:49 AM

It's also on the home PSP page too, not under new demos though, you have to look under "w".
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 03:08:01 AM »

haH! finally a decent demo for the PSP! Trying it out now.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 03:11:14 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 26, 2007, 03:08:01 AM

haH! finally a decent demo for the PSP! Trying it out now.

gah
i have to update to 3.71 first
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 03:51:19 AM »

Initial impressions-the game is quite fun. The camera is quite crap.  I really love being able to rotate the camera 360 degrees and this game doesnt seem to allow me to do that.  Destructive terrain is awesome.  So is opportunity fire.  There is no grid.  If you have enough points to squeeze out moving a little closer to that wall then you can do that.  Actually I'm not a big fan of that system-I love the grid system.  With no grid there's no cursor either so you just have to use the left and right shoulder buttons to select your other characters.  Everybody seems to have two weapons. A normal weapon that has unlimited ammo (or is melee) and a bigger weapon that has limited ammo.  The maps are pretty huge so you pretty much need to look at the map screen to see what the enemy is doing because the game doesn't automatically centre on a moving unit.  That might be one bonus for the DS version.  But I cant imagine playing a game like this on the DS.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 05:20:29 AM »

Played through part of the first mission (don't know if there are more actually). I was dying, so I quit, not that it was hard, but I just trying to figure it out.

I hope the full game has more of an RPG element. In the demo the marines don't have names (they are called Space Marine), ranks, and there wasn't any stats to look at. You couldn't change your main weapon, a pistol, and for secondary you can pick a sword or a grenade launcher (the more ammo you give your grenade launcher the less action points you get).

I couldn't figure out how to change facing without moving and it's very import because the marines have a very small field of view (it shows a green cone for your field of view and red for the enemies). Cultists were popping up all over the place and I never saw them coming. If you save AP you can fire during the enemies turn.

During the enemy turn it's extremely hard to figure out what is going on. The best way is to hit "select" to bring up an overview map. It will show you damage being taken and the enemies moving. It's still not easy figuring out what is going on because everything happens really quickly.

I could see enemies all over the place and I am not sure how I was seeing them. It appears there were some windows in the walls, but it was hard to see where the windows were. If you see an enemy on the other side of a wall just blow the wall away with a grenade launcher and you will usually kill anything that is close to it.

Big complaint is the camera, You can rotate it by pushing the stick, but you are severely limited to how far you can rotate it (you can't rotate 360 degrees). It also pops back to default as soon as you let go of the stick. I had an enemy standing right next to me but I could not see him at all because there was a wall blocking my view of him, I could see him on the map, but you cant attack from the map. I finally found him with the cursor so I could fire at him by just moving the cursor around until it changed into the attack icon. Major drawback.

Graphics and sound are great.

I am less excited about this game after playing the demo. The camera sucks, and I hope there are some RPG elements to the game, I want to be able to move my guys up through the ranks. I will not being buying it based on what I saw in the demo, but I don't know how limited the demo is. I would assume your marines have names and ranks and you have lots of weapons to chose from in the full game, if not, I am out.

I really want to play the DS version now because I think it would be easier to see what's going on with less detailed graphics (like where the heck the windows are).
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 07:08:49 AM »

Regarding the camera, you can easily see what the enemy is doing by cycling through your soldiers during the computer's turn using the shoulder buttons. The camera will shift to each unit very quickly, giving you some fairly solid situational awareness. You can also hit the "select" button and watch a satellite view of all known enemy movement.

Regarding how to set your soldier's facing:  Simply press and hold the O button over your selected unit. Move the d-pad in the direction you wish them to face while holding the O button. The soldier will rotate his facing accordingly without moving. Once you are happy with his cone of view, tap the O button to confirm.

I loved the demo, but it locked up on my PSP once. First time every for a PSP game. Considering this is a demo and not the actual UMD I'll give them a pass. This is now a first day purchase for me, but with only 15 SP missions I'm wondering how long the fun will last.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 26, 2007, 07:08:49 AM

Regarding the camera, you can easily see what the enemy is doing by cycling through your soldiers during the computer's turn using the shoulder buttons. The camera will shift to each unit very quickly, giving you some fairly solid situational awareness. You can also hit the "select" button and watch a satellite view of all known enemy movement.

Yeah I was using the map. Switching between soldiers with L/R is not acceptable in my opinion, way too much is going on. You hear gun fire, by the time you are viewing the soldier who got hit, it's too late and you are hearing gun fire someplace else and trying to switch views to find out who and where. If your guys are all close together I guess it would be fine, but my guys were spread out all over the place

Regarding how to set your soldier's facing:  Simply press and hold the O button over your selected unit. Move the d-pad in the direction you wish them to face while holding the O button. The soldier will rotate his facing accordingly without moving. Once you are happy with his cone of view, tap the O button to confirm.

Ah cool, thanks.

I loved the demo, but it locked up on my PSP once. First time every for a PSP game. Considering this is a demo and not the actual UMD I'll give them a pass. This is now a first day purchase for me, but with only 15 SP missions I'm wondering how long the fun will last.

No problems there, worked fine. To be fair, I did enjoy the game and I have a feeling the demo is just a quick tutorial battle missing the RPG elements (please let that be it). I can live with using the overhead map to track the enemies turns, even though an automatic jump to action option would make a lot more sense. The lack of a fully rotatable camera is unexcusable though.

I want Chaos Gate on the PSP damnit.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »

fwiw, the THQ official PSP demo linky page:
http://www.thq-games.com/uk/game/demos/2297/1?keyw=squad&per_page=

It seems to say you need at least system update 3.52.

Very cool what I played so far.  icon_cool Graphics remind me a bit of Killzone: Liberation in a good way, but much, much more colorful.

As far as I know, this is not a deep-RPG type game (action points are determined by equipped weapons, and by ammo types, not by an RPG-style character stat, according to previews) so you might be disappointed if you're expecting something like FF Tactics or X-COM from this. If that sounds "shallower," it might make it more appealing as a "pick up and play" game. You don't have to fiddle with it or sweat attribute points, you just start blowing stuff up. smile

There are about 20 different weapons, and 9 multiplayer-only missions -- the official site says "global" as well as "local" games are supported (probably the turn-based aspect makes Infrastructure play doable) for the latter, so I might have another reason to try to get my WiFi working again. smile I think I might've liked a "skirmish" mode with some sort of random map generator, as far as having some more long term play appeal.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:16:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »

I was very pleased with this demo and enjoyed it more than expected. I'm impressed with the PSP visual details for this game though the camera leaves a tad to be desired (not a show stopper though). I found the controls to be easy to pick up and was able to start playing right away. The game is still a rent-first to me though due to the surprisingly small number of missions (9?)/replay value listed in the closing screen at the end of the demo (unless I hear otherwise from reviews). I'm still looking forward to it's release though.

--Devil
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »

No squad development means no sale for me.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 07:23:47 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 26, 2007, 07:07:15 PM

No squad development means no sale for me.

That will be the case for me too if that information holds. Developing and modding equipment that carried over between missions (just guessing here) would be a big stretch. These unknowns are part of why it's still just a rental for me.

--Devil
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 08:27:25 PM »

I'll play it and probably enjoy it, but I really miss Chaos Gate!  Thanks for bringing it up! Tongue
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:53 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 26, 2007, 08:27:25 PM

I'll play it and probably enjoy it, but I really miss Chaos Gate!  Thanks for bringing it up! Tongue

It really was a great game wasn't it? Leading your group up though the ranks with an X-Com feel to it. I would kill CK for a modern remark with a campaign for the Marines and the Orcs.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »

The demo gets a lot tougher later on. I had a lot of fun with it. I think beer-n-pretzel fans (me, I've been seeking something TBS that wasn't cumbersome to play) will find it more to their liking. smile It's very snappy, and it almost doesn't feel like a turn-based game. The animations and explosions are top notch.

btw, for those not liking the L-R to change units, you can center the cursor on a unit and tap X to control it. You can also move more than one unit together if you want (somewhat handy early on if they're far from the combat zones).

Some of the weapons in the demo seem way overpowered, lot of one-salvo kills both ways. I kicked arse most of the demo and then *poof* I lost half my units in 2 turns. Sometimes even parts of the environment that don't look like they're totally destructible are (some parts take a few more tries).

For me the demo has already proven 10 times more fun than SWAT: Target Liberty. Maybe I'll trade in the latter when it's time to pick this up.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2007, 03:53:52 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 26, 2007, 09:14:53 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on October 26, 2007, 08:27:25 PM

It really was a great game wasn't it? Leading your group up though the ranks with an X-Com feel to it. I would kill CK for a modern remark with a campaign for the Marines and the Orcs.
You'd kill CK for a candy-corn, though.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: