http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 07:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War, Inc. Battlezone - F2P 3rd person shooter on Steam  (Read 838 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »

Available from Steam here, currently in Beta.

Third person Free to Play online shooter.  I've played it a couple nights.  You've got your loadouts, your different weapons, uniforms, items with actual stat increases, and perks.  Going from memory, you unlock certain stuff per level, much like every other shooter, but there's other stuff you purchase, and there are purchase levels of one day, one week, one month, or permanent.  In most cases, the permanent and higher durations carry a "freemium" gold cost in addition to the in-game currency.

Play before July 24th and receive free Weapons and Equipment including:

5,000 Gold dollars
2X XP ( experience ) Boost for 14 days
14 days rental on awesome Night Stalker FSCAR Assault Rifle
14 days rental on PSG-1 sniper Rifle
14 days rental of Night Stalker Character ( body + head )
14 days rental of Night Stalker Tactical Armor
14 days rental of M9 Night vision goggles Helmet

Main game website is here.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »

I tried it out a little a night or two ago. The upgrade system is a bit complicated because there's 2 different kinds of currency that are similarly named - like gold dollars and game points which they then shorten to like GD and GP and then start mixing them up by mistake in the instructions. Game seemed OK, but I was struggling a bit with the controls. Graphics look pretty dated.

Screenshots on Steam look a lot better than what I was seeing, maybe I had the settings too low. There is also a screenshot that shows FPS view, so that's confusing.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

No interest in competitive games that let people buy better stuff. Also just essentailly "renting" things like weapons sucks. I stopped playing the Battlefield Heroes because of that. This is the F2P style I don't like.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »

This is the kind of F2P I DO like, because there isn't anything you can't get from playing.  There are things you can get more quickly or permanently by paying, but everything is accessible by just playing.

Looks good so far, I played a lot.  It IS sniper heavy at the moment (in part due to the maps and in part due to the power of sniper rifles)

Latest patch made headshots do 3x damage and changed gameplay in a way I'm not favorable of but enough people complained they may straighten it out before it's too late.

Game has a lot of potential, hope they dont' screw it up.  I was a bit upset to see the really good special steam deals for paying for stuff were only available if you bought them before you could play the game.  That's just awful.  No I dont' want to pay you $50 sight unseen for stuff that I have no idea what it does....  Then I log in and play, now I understand what was in that package and would like it, but can't get it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 22, 2011, 04:07:06 PM

I tried it out a little a night or two ago. The upgrade system is a bit complicated because there's 2 different kinds of currency that are similarly named - like gold dollars and game points which they then shorten to like GD and GP and then start mixing them up by mistake in the instructions. Game seemed OK, but I was struggling a bit with the controls. Graphics look pretty dated.

Screenshots on Steam look a lot better than what I was seeing, maybe I had the settings too low. There is also a screenshot that shows FPS view, so that's confusing.

there is a first person view in the works to be released eventually.  Graphics look pretty good if you turn things all the way up and have a good card.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »

I think it defaulted to medium and I didn't bother trying to turn them, I was just curious what the gameplay was like.

I did notice that LMGs seem to be for suppression in this game (although there is no suppression feature). Very inaccurate unless you are up close. In fact, I think they express the accuracy bar as being empty when you compare guns.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »

I got the feeling LMG's simply are crap so far in the game slywink

You are better off picking up one of the assault rifles with the 100 round drum.  All the benefits, none of the penalties.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 22, 2011, 08:47:09 PM

I got the feeling LMG's simply are crap so far in the game slywink

You are better off picking up one of the assault rifles with the 100 round drum.  All the benefits, none of the penalties.

The PKM with the red dot scope is not bad at all but yea the rifles are much better.  Game is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:31:04 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »

You guys playing this? I saw it today on Steam, and was kinda interested in something to carry me over till BC3 arrives...

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 22, 2011, 09:29:09 PM

You guys playing this? I saw it today on Steam, and was kinda interested in something to carry me over till BC3 arrives...

Come on in, no tanks so you have a chance!   icon_lol

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

Quote from: morlac on July 22, 2011, 09:31:42 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 22, 2011, 09:29:09 PM

Come on in, no tanks so you have a chance!   icon_lol

no tanks, YET!  They are adding vehicles eventually.

it's far from a perfect (or even great) game, but it's fun and has potential.  I spent many hours playing and didn't regret it.  If you wanted to set yourself up with gear permanently it would only run $15 or so from my calculations at this point.  you seem to earn money quickly enough that you probably won't have to spend anythign ever though.  You get both kinds of currency for just playing.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »

Mikagami and I played a bit more of this today.  It's growing on me.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 23, 2011, 06:16:57 PM

Mikagami and I played a bit more of this today.  It's growing on me.

Yep played for a couple hours last night. The auto grenade launcher is a hoot....when I am not blowing myself up with it.  It's aim is a bit erratic lets say but I am getting better with it.

How are you guys using your skills pints?  All in one tree or spread around?  Also, how do you heal teammates?  Just hit 'e' on them?

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »

If you have the medic ability you just stand near people and they heal

I put my skill points in Tactician because I hate being surprised.  It allows you to see everyone within X meters on the minimap.  Small radius, but it's enough when upgraded to show people sneaking up around you.

I also like Spec Ops, more movement speed is good.

For the most part all of the skills are pretty good if you play to their strengths (for example don't take combat for armor boost then not use armor)

They are planning to eventually add abilities based on your skills (predator cloak for sniping, portable cover for combat, automated turret for tactician, etc).

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »

I tried this today and didn't like it - I know its a F2p game, but still. The controls felt off to me, and the gameplay didn't appeal to me. They do have a nice selection of stuff though that I *did* like.

I'll be waiting for BF3 I think :-)

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 25, 2011, 08:39:05 PM

I tried this today and didn't like it - I know its a F2p game, but still. The controls felt off to me, and the gameplay didn't appeal to me. They do have a nice selection of stuff though that I *did* like.

I'll be waiting for BF3 I think :-)

Hell i am too but BF3 is a ways away and I am not convinced my PC will run it adequately so i am dabbling in this smile.  I did not like it at first either but i found the skills and unlocking equipment appealing and it just grew on me.  Hit box detection is my biggest issue and the rubberbanding but it's still in beta after all.

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »

no rubberbanding at all, check the connection slywink

They are putting me off a bit by constantly and drastically changing things though.  I understand those things happen in a beta, but personally I think once you are accepting real money for anything you have to limit the scope of changes.  For example one skill line became vastly less useful, yet I put all my points in it when it was useful.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 01:00:24 AM »

You were right, it was on my end. 

I can't ever see not carrying claymores, they are awesome.  I am averaging about 4-6 kills a game just with those.  I was called evil today by the opposition, I made them go boom 11 times! smile.  Apparently I place them in good spots (hint: I have been known to hide them in walls  ninja). The last one was the best as some poor guy I had blown up about 4 times already finally found out where I was camping out and tried to creep on me but right as he was about to jump on my rock... boom goes the dynamite. Equipment choices really open up at level 10, I am having a hard time deciding on what to use.  I have been renting guns on one day trials with in game currency to test as many as I can.    Hark, you playing on the official servers or found any good dedicated ones?  I like this more every time I play it, it's not great by any means but it just does something right.

morlac00 on PSN
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 01:15:22 AM »

Just using quick match most of the time.  All day today claymores and mines were doing nothing, was quite annoying.  They fixed it though, and now they cause half the people to crash when it goes off.  *sigh*
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 02:36:52 AM »

Yeah, the claymore crash is quite annoying.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: