http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 09:49:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want a Graphically Updated X-Com for Free? (UFO-AI)  (Read 977 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:14:41 PM »

I was reading through some old Games for Windows magazines I got for free and found a quick blurb on UFO: Alien Invasion. It's an open source game based on X-Com. The site is here: http://www.ufoai.net/

I've put in 5-10 hours with it and it's pretty good. Somewhere on the site, they mentioned wanting to improve X-Com not just remake it with nice graphics. So far, that doesn't really seem to be the case. As far as I can tell it's just a redone X-Com with some different aliens, weapons, interface etc. It's somewhat hard to figure out how to do certain things or what things mean, and the manual that comes with the game fails to help much and seems to be made for an older version. Overall, it lacks the polish you would expect (but not always get) from a professional company. Still, if you liked the old X-Com you should have little trouble just jumping in and killing aliens. It's a fun homage to the original and you can't beat the price.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »

Oooh, it runs under Linux.  biggrin

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »

Is it finally all done?

Ye Olde Farte
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:43:15 PM »

I don't believe so.  It's on version 2.1.1 whatever that means.  For instance, someone mentioned interceptors on their forums.  Apparently you don't encounter flying UFO's until several months in and the intercept mechanic has yet to be implemented.  Instead all the encounters are already on the ground.  There's also a weird thing with personnel that I'm not sure is intentional or not.  You get 19 slots for soldiers, scientists, workers, etc.  And you can't purchase them, countries will give you more at the end of a month along with money.  But apparently 19 is the max you can have for each class total for all bases.  Not that you really need more than one base anyway or so it seems to me so far.  I'm about 3 months in (gametime) and most of the stuff from X-Com is implemented, and what is included is quite complete.  I'd maybe consider it an advanced beta.  It clocks in at around 250mB so as long as you don't have dialup, it's worth it to check it out for yourself and see if you like it.

My vision is augmented.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:31 AM »

I was playing this fairly recently and had a mixed experience.  I couldn't figure out how to turn one of my guys around without him moving, nor how to use a medpack. terrian wasn't deformable and never, ever found an alien UFO to shoot down.

On the plus side, it was entertaining and there was a lot of X-Com goodness in it.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:37:48 AM »

This is a perfect examply of why open source is ultimately disappointing.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 03:40:01 AM »

You can turn using ctrl + click in direction you want.

My vision is augmented.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »

You can also turn by aiming in the direction and pressing down on the Mouse Scroll button.  I played this way back in 2004 for like 2 minutes and deleted it.  However I downloaded the latest version a few weeks ago and I must say for a free game it is awesome.  Me and two of my friends were playing an Aliens vs Humans game the other day in a mansion level and we had an absolute blast.  I probably sunk about 10 hours into the single player before I got some save corrupt bug.  I highly recommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: