http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wal-Mart to stop selling UMD movies  (Read 1041 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:00:12 PM »

According to Next Generation.

Retail reports are suggesting that Wal-Mart may be about to quit the UMD movie market, following a downward trend in sales. Hollywood studios are abandoning the format.

This would be a huge blow to Sony I would think.  Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer in the US and I believe they are the biggest movie seller as well.  To lose them would really doom UMD I would think.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »

well.....ha...charge more than DVDs(at least they do here),and they dont have extras...bloody Sony...maybe with them trying to kill off dvds this way,and as it looks failing,it will make them even more nervous about the upcoming blu-ray,which is already having problems

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »

Mroe bad news...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002274591

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has completely stopped producing UMD movies, according to executives who asked not to be identified by name. Said one high-ranking exec: "It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-ray."

Yikes.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Mroe bad news...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002274591

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has completely stopped producing UMD movies, according to executives who asked not to be identified by name. Said one high-ranking exec: "It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-ray."

Yikes.

So Blu-ray is a bomb even though it's not out yet?  Hmmm.  Of course that statement by an anonymous "high-ranking exec" at Universal might have something to do with the fact that Universal is backing HD-DVD which is the format competing against Blu-ray.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »

It would be hard to count either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray out until they actually come out. smile

UMD on the other hand I think we can say is going to die.  

There is still no way other than the PSP to play UMD movies so if you are not into gaming you probably would never buy one.  They are expensive and, they often don't have as many extras.   I see that as pretty much the recipe for doom.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »

I knew the UMD movie setup was doomed from the beginning, and I still say Sony should've come up with an encoding/encrypting/magical program that transferred DVDs into a PSP-specific file to watch from a memory card. Have the software create files that can only be played on one unique PSP for the sake of preventing downloading - or, I dunno, something - and watch memory stick sales skyrocket.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:55:49 PM »

I'm guessing once UMD dies a deserving death, Sony will find a way to push downloading of movies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »

I would have rather  bought UMDs that are included with regular DVDs at a slightly higher price.  But of course, I don't think that would have flown with the movie companies.  I mean, why should a consumer get TWO copies of the same movie in one purchase.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 04:40:32 PM »

Pretty much. When it comes to a choice between getting an UMD and a DVD, I always spring for the latter. If they had packaged it with DVDs for, I don't know, $5 more, I'd be buying those instead.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »

I wonder if that means UMD clearance sales are coming.  I'm not buying them at the current prices, but I might pick up a few if they were less than $10.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »

Retail reports are suggesting that Wal-Mart may be about to quit the UMD movie market, following a downward trend in sales. Hollywood studios are abandoning the format.

The word suggesting used on the internet basically means: maybe, possibly, were not really sure, etc.

biggrin

Whatever I dont own a PSP no big deal for me.

I think Sony should just offer Movie/Music downloads right on the PSP.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 09:29:12 PM »

Who didn't see this coming?  When the first pic of the UMD was revealed to look alot like the notorious flop that was MiniDiscs, the format's fate was sealed...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »

These things should never have been more than $9.99 to begin with.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 02:22:44 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm guessing once UMD dies a deserving death, Sony will find a way to push downloading of movies.

They already are- they announced a few months ago that they would be offering a content download service for PSP that would IIRC include movie titles.  And with the recent announcement of downloadable games, I could easily see a PSP V2.0 without UMD.  Saves on space, battery life, and should improve load times dramatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: