http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:02:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vlad & Niko on Saturday Night Live  (Read 3015 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »

the level of comic genius from years 1, 2 and 3 are so far above what's been seen in the last 10 years of SNL that it's not even a contest, old boy.  sorry.

year 1 may have had its share of bad sketches...but it was SNL's first year of existence, for cryin' out loud.  they were inventing the formula that would later be butchered by people like kattan and fallon.  even then i'd still stack the unfunny ones up against anything the current regime is doing.

...the GTA sketch, for example.   slywink

as i said, there are exceptions to the rule (will ferrell), but every year i try to watch a few episodes to see how it's going and every year I say to myself, "I wonder what's on the paid commercial channel right now?".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:59:45 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 03:52:19 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 02:56:31 AM

the level of comic genius from years 1, 2 and 3 are so far above what's been seen in the last 10 years of SNL that it's not even a contest, old boy.  sorry.

year 1 may have had its share of bad sketches...but it was SNL's first year of existence, for cryin' out loud.  they were inventing the formula that would later be butchered by people like kattan and fallon.  even then i'd still stack the unfunny ones up against anything the current regime is doing.

...the GTA sketch, for example.   slywink

as i said, there are exceptions to the rule (will ferrell), but every year i try to watch a few episodes to see how it's going and every year I say to myself, "I wonder what's on the paid commercial channel right now?".

Stack that GTA sketch up against the "classic" scotch tape store sketch and see how it holds up.  Or any of the muppets scenes which were in every single first season episode.  Or the entire Louise Lasser episode. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 04:07:11 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 03:52:19 AM

Stack that GTA sketch up against the "classic" scotch tape store sketch and see how it holds up.  Or any of the muppets scenes which were in every single first season episode.  Or the entire Louise Lasser episode. 

okay....

....yep, 1st year SNL still funnier.   when scotch tape on its own garners a bigger laugh, you know it's time for new writers.  icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 07:51:38 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 04:07:11 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 03:52:19 AM

okay....

....yep, 1st year SNL still funnier.   when scotch tape on its own garners a bigger laugh, you know it's time for new writers.  icon_biggrin

hell, watching Hillary Clinton having a case of diarrhea on top of Bill's head is still funnier than their current stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »

well, all teasing aside, i do want to say that there is actually no right or wrong in this discussion.  what people find funny is purely up to them and my opinion that the older stuff is funnier is just that:  an opinion.  if you find the newer stuff to be better, than that's yours...and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.   icon_biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 12:03:46 PM

well, all teasing aside, i do want to say that there is actually no right or wrong in this discussion.  what people find funny is purely up to them and my opinion that the older stuff is funnier is just that:  an opinion.  if you find the newer stuff to be better, than that's yours...and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.   icon_biggrin

It's not that the newer stuff is better, though, it's just sad to see so many people fall into the cycle of dumping on SNL because it's become common to do so.  Dismissing every single thing they do with lines like, hmm, let me see if I can find something...oh, here:

Quote from: CeeKay on May 14, 2008, 07:51:38 AM

hell, watching Hillary Clinton having a case of diarrhea on top of Bill's head is still funnier than their current stuff.

Add to that the magic paint brush of memory that gives a lot of the awful stuff from the "good" years a pass, and it gets even more frustrating.

I'm not saying the new stuff is better.  I'm not saying the original cast isn't the best at this.  They were the first, after all.  I'm not saying that the Hartman, Carvey, Hooks years weren't another pinacle that will be hard to top.  All I'm saying is that the current cast frequently tries to do new things.  They've had bad sketches, even bad episodes, but they've also had some incredibly clever, funny and fresh things put out there.  It's too bad that the good work not only doesn't get recognized, it gets dismissed and dumped on by people who watched the cold open and part of a monologue one time in the last year and feel they have sufficient evidence to say that SNL should have died before Denny Dillon came on.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 05:20:16 PM

It's not that the newer stuff is better, though, it's just sad to see so many people fall into the cycle of dumping on SNL because it's become common to do so. 

please realize that some of us formed this opinion outside of any social gestalt.  we honestly think the new SNL has sucked for years.  If everyone were to suddenly start thinking it was brilliant, those of us who truly dislike the show would most likely seek asylum in countries that currently do not have electricity.   icon_wink

p.s. of course i'm just teasing (for the most part).  however, i can't help but see the horrid Jimmy Fallon, those annoying cheerleader skits with the misused Will Ferrell, and the numerous attempts at trying to coin a catchphrase that overpowers everything else when i mull over SNL's recent history (recent being 10 years or less, to me).

...then again, we always should remember that the impetus behind many of my posts can be directly traced back to my childhood love of lead based paints.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:12:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2008, 01:51:13 AM

It's easy to look at the past with rose-colored glasses. While it's true the early days of SNL were edgier, and spawned a lot of classic comedy stars, it is true that they had just as many crappy sketches as they had good ones. A friend bought me the Season One DVD set of SNL, and there are some *painfully* unfunny sketches sprinkled throughout. We tend to look at the early days of SNL as this treasure trove of great material because that's what they show on all the "SNL Anniversary" clip shows - the good stuff. They don't show the terrible sketches, so they fade from memory and we pretend to believe they just never existed.

I remember a time when Will Ferrell, et al, joined the cast (that was when they basically rebooted the cast all at once), and people thought it was the worst cast ever. Now with this generation, people look fondly back on the Will Ferrell days, and call THIS the worst cast ever. Guess what? This cycle has been going on since the very beginning of the show.

Personally, even though the material may not always be up to par, I think this cast has some absolutely brilliant comedic talent. Amy Poehler, Kristin Wiig, Fred Armisen, Will Forte, and Bill Hader are all utterly fantastic. The only real weak cast members on the show right now are Kenan Thompson and that new girl (who I think just hasn't been given a chance to do anything other than be a stand-in background prop).   

/rant off - back to the thread, I thought the Niko and Vlad thing was a huge missed opportunity. I was waiting for it to get funny (after I got over the brief chuckle regarding their body movements), but it never happened.

+1

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 05:56:52 PM

It's not that the newer stuff is better, though, it's just sad to see so many people fall into the cycle of dumping on SNL because it's become common to do so. 

please realize that some of us formed this opinion outside of any social gestalt.  we honestly think the new SNL has sucked for years.  If everyone were to suddenly start thinking it was brilliant, those of us who truly dislike the show would most likely seek asylum in countries that currently do not have electricity.   icon_wink

p.s. of course i'm just teasing (for the most part).  however, i can't help but see the horrid Jimmy Fallon, those annoying cheerleader skits with the misused Will Ferrell, and the numerous attempts at trying to coin a catchphrase that overpowers everything else when i mull over SNL's recent history (recent being 10 years or less, to me).

...then again, we always should remember that the impetus behind many of my posts can be directly traced back to my childhood love of lead based paints.

But it does seem you're basing your opinions on sketches and actors that haven't been on the show in nearly 10 years.  Again, dismissing it without any current viewings to back it up.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 06:30:01 PM

But it does seem you're basing your opinions on sketches and actors that haven't been on the show in nearly 10 years.  Again, dismissing it without any current viewings to back it up.

Then, in the interest of fairness, I promise to watch it this weekend. 

But I swear to God, if there's even ONE skit based around awkward teenagers running their own private video/radio/internet show out of their basement, i'm coming for you...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 06:34:50 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 06:30:01 PM

Then, in the interest of fairness, I promise to watch it this weekend. 

But I swear to God, if there's even ONE skit based around awkward teenagers running their own private video/radio/internet show out of their basement, i'm coming for you...

I have no doubt, then, that this will be the single worst episode of SNL in its 30+ year history.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »

so the ARE recycling the "awkward teenager's running a video/radio/internet show out of their basement" bits again?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »

I don't remember seeing anything like that, but it's just luck and averages that'll be sure to have more crap than good on after this lengthy discussion.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the cast/writing of the past couple of seasons may have caught the mainstream public off guard simply because it's a bit *too* "out there" and intellectual.

Contrast something like Fred Armisen's "bad comedian" bits on Weekend Update - the guy who reads from the headlines, the blind comedian, the Native American comedian, etc. to something like Adam Sandler's crazy costume man or Opera Guy. Don't get me wrong, I find them all funny, but it takes a little more thought to "get" the portrayals Fred Armisen's trying to convey versus watching Adam Sandler hold a pickle in his sleeve.

This post-Ferrell cast is devoid of pratfalls and slapstick. Gone are the days of Chris Farley breaking tables or Ferrell garnering laughs just from dropping his pants.

I'm not saying one is better than the other; I enjoy both styles of comedy, but I'm sure there are some who prefer the physical stuff versus the intellectual stuff. But I definitely see a difference between this "era" of SNL and what came before it. And maybe that partially fuels the debate.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 08:01:43 PM

I don't remember seeing anything like that, but it's just luck and averages that'll be sure to have more crap than good on after this lengthy discussion.

icon_lol

well, just remember that this is just some good natured back and forth, so even if it does have the aforementioned skit i'll just laugh along WITH you instead of rubbing your nose in it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »

Don't worry, Bullwinkle.  If anyone can help you win hepcat over this Saturday it's Steve Carell.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 14, 2008, 08:49:50 PM

Don't worry, Bullwinkle.  If anyone can help you win hepcat over this Saturday it's Steve Carell.

oooh, he's the guest host?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2008, 08:30:11 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the cast/writing of the past couple of seasons may have caught the mainstream public off guard simply because it's a bit *too* "out there" and intellectual.

Contrast something like Fred Armisen's "bad comedian" bits on Weekend Update - the guy who reads from the headlines, the blind comedian, the Native American comedian, etc. to something like Adam Sandler's crazy costume man or Opera Guy. Don't get me wrong, I find them all funny, but it takes a little more thought to "get" the portrayals Fred Armisen's trying to convey versus watching Adam Sandler hold a pickle in his sleeve.

This post-Ferrell cast is devoid of pratfalls and slapstick. Gone are the days of Chris Farley breaking tables or Ferrell garnering laughs just from dropping his pants.

I'm not saying one is better than the other; I enjoy both styles of comedy, but I'm sure there are some who prefer the physical stuff versus the intellectual stuff. But I definitely see a difference between this "era" of SNL and what came before it. And maybe that partially fuels the debate.

You know, I was going to mention Armisen's stand-up guys earlier, but I wasn't sure anyone would necessarily get it just through description.  It's not the kind of thing that's water-cooler funny, but it's pretty damned clever.  And the fact that he's found this very weird niche and has tapped into so successfully in varied ways is impressive.  Also, watching him go off on Amy as the headline reading guy, interrupting himself as he derails his own train of thought continually is great.*

Quote from: hepcat on May 14, 2008, 08:47:08 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2008, 08:01:43 PM

icon_lol

well, just remember that this is just some good natured back and forth, so even if it does have the aforementioned skit i'll just laugh along WITH you instead of rubbing your nose in it.

Thanks for that.

*EDIT TO ADD: Found a clip.  http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/play.shtml?mea=229107

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »

I think SNL has gotten a LOT better in the last few years. I stopped watching when Jimmy Fallon was on, which I happily consider the worst SNL there was. It's recovered quite a bit. The sketches are shorter, and that helps a lot. A shitty sketch isn't as painful when you know it's about to end.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: