http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 06:24:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viva Pinata?  (Read 20501 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2006, 04:25:34 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 17, 2006, 04:19:16 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 17, 2006, 04:06:05 PM

Quote from: Misguided on November 17, 2006, 03:45:17 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 16, 2006, 02:46:13 PM

Nope, no need to water.  6/12 is average.  I can usually get 10/12 now.  The key is to dig a seed hole, use fertilizer (red) and keep it watered.  Don't leave the tree unless you absolutely have to.  Stay with it, keep it exactly at 50% watered (look at the bars and keep it even) until it is full grown. 

When do you use the fertilizer? On the hole? While the tree is growing?

Once the tree starts growing, same with flowers and shrubs.  There is a sound effect, one is sort of a higher pitched beep if you use the right fertilizer.  Usually use them in a batch of three, when you use the fertilizer a 4th time the tone will change to a lower pitched tone.  This tone can help you identify what color fertilizer to use as well.

Thanks..ok...follow up question. So you use them in batches of three... while the tree is growing it goes through obvious stages where leaves fall off and stuff...does that signal that you should use the fertilizer or do you do it all at the start? If you have to keep switching back and forth between watering and fertilizer, it would be a royal pain.

I have only ever added it in the first stage.  I have gotten an achievement for full growth of multiple plants so I am guessing just the start.  Could experiement with that to be sure.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2006, 07:42:50 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 17, 2006, 02:50:40 PM

I did the same thing with my watchling as well; never was any use to me. My sprinkling and gatherling have been really handy though.
Maybe I'll sell off my watchling then.  I think I saw it scare off one sourbat, but I'm the one usually smacking the bad ones.

I may have to hire another gatherling.  She became stuck around a gooseberry bush, so I whacked her with a shovel hoping it would free her (didn't work).  She began spouting out chocolate coins, so I whacked her some more.  Then she started crying and left the garden with one of the sour characters.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »

Nthy Power, puddin' & pie,
hits the girls and makes them cry!

crybaby

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 17, 2006, 07:48:30 PM

crybaby

lol
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 17, 2006, 07:42:50 PM

I did the same thing with my watchling as well; never was any use to me. My sprinkling and gatherling have been really handy though.
Maybe I'll sell off my watchling then.  I think I saw it scare off one sourbat, but I'm the one usually smacking the bad ones.

I may have to hire another gatherling.  She became stuck around a gooseberry bush, so I whacked her with a shovel hoping it would free her (didn't work).  She began spouting out chocolate coins, so I whacked her some more.  Then she started crying and left the garden with one of the sour characters.  icon_frown

It took me a while to save up the money after hiring the two watchlings; but I bought parts of the totum pole which really does well at keeping some of those sour characters out !

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2006, 04:07:00 AM »

Quote from: JLu on November 17, 2006, 08:16:04 PM

It took me a while to save up the money after hiring the two watchlings; but I bought parts of the totum pole which really does well at keeping some of those sour characters out !

You get those totem pole pieces by taming the sours, without spending the cash, and it isn't usually too hard to do. The first is an apple seed. The second is a jack-o-lantern. Third needs a bottle of medicine and something else.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2006, 04:21:38 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 17, 2006, 07:48:30 PM

crybaby
I'm only laughing on the outside.  icon_biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 18, 2006, 04:07:00 AM

Quote from: JLu on November 17, 2006, 08:16:04 PM

You get those totem pole pieces by taming the sours, without spending the cash, and it isn't usually too hard to do. The first is an apple seed. The second is a jack-o-lantern. Third needs a bottle of medicine and something else.

They start getting much much much more difficult to tame.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2006, 02:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 18, 2006, 12:58:03 PM

I know you guys said there's one you have to be a master romancer for 5 species, so I figured as much.
When you start a new garden, do you get the tower pieces?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 18, 2006, 02:38:51 PM

I know you guys said there's one you have to be a master romancer for 5 species, so I figured as much.

not 100% sure on that one, will have to start a 2nd garden and see.  As far as I can tell, they should carry over tho.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 18, 2006, 04:12:10 PM

not 100% sure on that one, will have to start a 2nd garden and see.  As far as I can tell, they should carry over tho.

Woohoo! I just made a 12 point apple tree for my daughter!
Arkon, I added a dose of fertilizer at the start and another dose the first two times leaves fell.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2006, 08:12:42 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 15, 2006, 06:26:09 AM

Hmm Ceekay,  I think you need a moriarty in there somewhere... something... agressive.

I do have a Shellybean with a mean streak, but man, warning is aggressive.  He took out poor Destructor (who was the #1 stud for the Whirlms).  I guess he was pissed I sold Lee off.

I just saw this as I was looking for tips. You bastard!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 18, 2006, 04:15:35 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 18, 2006, 04:12:10 PM

Woohoo! I just made a 12 point apple tree for my daughter!
Arkon, I added a dose of fertilizer at the start and another dose the first two times leaves fell.

Nice!  Ok so the timing does make a difference, good to know!  Add it to the tips thread!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

The wife bought this game on Saturday for me and my son and we absolutely love it.  Played it for a few hours Saturday, but Sunday was Wii day, so haven't gone back.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2006, 01:45:40 PM »

I hate the Professor -- came in and killed one of my Horstacios and a Doenut (searched online so I know how to get rid of him the next time he shows up).  Lost a monkey-guy since I didn't know he was sick and my other Horstacio to saddness...  I need to start paying more attention  smile

My wife started playing Friday night -- she's almost gotten ten hours in on her own garden!! 

I don't know how much replayability this will have once we are 'done' with our gardens, but so far it's been a really great pickup.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:57 PM »

Replayability - Depends on if you have multiple gardens already.  I can see myself doing 3-4 gardens before being "done".
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »

Picked this up on Saturday.  Only planned on playing for an hour or two.  Next thing I know, I've got the 10 hours played achievement.  Then I put in another 3.   Now I'm at work wondering where my weekend went. eek

Great game.  I love it when some poor pinata bites it and all his friends rush over to consume his sweet, sweet innards.  And having to defend the garden against sours and such adds an element that was missing from the other games I've played in this genre (Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing). 

I've got too many species running around my garden right now, but I think I'm gong to trim it down to sheep, bees, crows and bats when I get home.  And one monkey.  He amuses me, so he gets to stay. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »

I like my pet cat.  Haven't played for a bit.  Got distracted with another run through the gears campaign and then FFXII.

I'll put some more time in soon.  Of course Rainbow6 hits tomorrow....

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on November 20, 2006, 02:47:07 PM

Picked this up on Saturday.  Only planned on playing for an hour or two.  Next thing I know, I've got the 10 hours played achievement.  Then I put in another 3.   Now I'm at work wondering where my weekend went. eek

Great game.  I love it when some poor pinata bites it and all his friends rush over to consume his sweet, sweet innards.  And having to defend the garden against sours and such adds an element that was missing from the other games I've played in this genre (Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing). 

I've got too many species running around my garden right now, but I think I'm gong to trim it down to sheep, bees, crows and bats when I get home.  And one monkey.  He amuses me, so he gets to stay. 

Does your monkey sleep a lot?  I swear my monkey sleeps 20 hours a day.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 03:44:55 PM

Quote from: kadnod on November 20, 2006, 02:47:07 PM

Does your monkey sleep a lot?  I swear my monkey sleeps 20 hours a day.

He seems to sleep at random times, but not too frequently.  The sheep seem to constantly be snoozing, though.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2006, 04:47:19 PM »

My monkey and chameleons sleep all the time.  My bees seem to never sleep nor do my flutterscotches.  Course the flutterscotchs probably don't sleep due to lack of housing space heh.  I have 2 of every color flutterscotch, house only holds I think 6.
BoredInAZ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2006, 08:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 15, 2006, 09:47:11 PM

This is the coolest press goodie I've gotten in a long, long time.  Viva Pinata indeed!

Let it be known to all, that I have Pinata envy frown
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »

Welcome to the boards Desmond.  Stick around, I'm sure you'll like it.. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2006, 09:46:39 PM »

Who wants to help me with my garden? Tag=MetalDiaper  icon_frown

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »

This game is pleasantly addictive, and has that 'fun factor' going for it.

Right now my garden is over-populated, and it's basically a free-for-all. I've been reduced to being a peace administrator, sometimes stopping about 2-3 fights in succession. It's time for re-structuring, and also to sell off some of the less valued possessions. icon_biggrin
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2006, 11:03:25 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on November 20, 2006, 09:46:39 PM

Who wants to help me with my garden? Tag=MetalDiaper  icon_frown
What do you need help with?  I have pinatas I could send you if that's what you mean.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »

I grew my first gem tree last night!  Maybe it was the cold medication but that excited me more than it should have...

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »

I'm going stronger with this than I think I should be at this point...  Has anyone else gotten a Pigxie?  I was surprised that mine seemed, well, a little off...

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 27, 2006, 06:40:17 PM

I'm going stronger with this than I think I should be at this point...  Has anyone else gotten a Pigxie?  I was surprised that mine seemed, well, a little off...

Not yet, I need one tho.  That said I took the weekend off from gaming, and with my HD TV coming on Saturday I may just hold off.  Besides I also just got into the LOTRO Beta.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2006, 06:58:17 PM »

Yep, I got one.  I was thinking they were going to be these cute, little fluttery things.  Guess I got what I deserved for breeding a swan with a pig.  icon_wink

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on November 27, 2006, 06:58:17 PM

Yep, I got one.  I was thinking they were going to be these cute, little fluttery things.  Guess I got what I deserved for breeding a swan with a pig.  icon_wink

Swan with a pig???  Ok I need to know how to get a pigxie heh.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 27, 2006, 07:00:35 PM

Swan and pig both ready for romance, plus have the builder make a 'mystery house' with a picture of something that mostly looks like a pig.

I found that my swans and pigxies fought like mad, and that the swans would not breed with each other while the pigxie house was in my garden.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 27, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 27, 2006, 07:04:01 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 27, 2006, 07:00:35 PM

Swan and pig both ready for romance, plus have the builder make a 'mystery house' with a picture of something that mostly looks like a pig.

I found that my swans and pigxies fought like mad, and that the swans would not breed with each other while the pigxie house was in my garden.

Yeah, I think both my swans and pigs were constantly trying to kill off their unholy offspring.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »

Questions:

Helpers (as in the sprinkler): Is it a one time fee or do you have to pay them every so often. The sprinkler is almost useless. And what does the weeder do? Is there a way to make them more efficient?

Birdbath: Is there a way to get water in it? It's empty and my birds won't go near it.

Happiness: What does it matter if my pinatas are happy or not?

Blackberry bush: None of the fertilizers work, how am I supposed to get it higher than a 6/12?

Thanks.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2006, 01:39:32 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 28, 2006, 01:12:17 AM

Questions:

Helpers (as in the sprinkler): Is it a one time fee or do you have to pay them every so often. The sprinkler is almost useless. And what does the weeder do? Is there a way to make them more efficient?
I ended up getting rid of all my helpers.  They were pretty much next to useless, especially the sprinkler and the watchers.

Happiness: What does it matter if my pinatas are happy or not?

I'm not sure if there's any other effects, but if it gets really low, the pinata will leave.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2006, 06:28:51 AM »

Well I rented it knowing that I usually don't like these games and expecting to not like this one-I am not even sure why I did rent it. After giving it like 5 hours, I decided that its a cute, clever, neat game that I have absolutely zero interest in. So I hope you all have a lot of fun with it!!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 28, 2006, 06:28:51 AM

Well I rented it knowing that I usually don't like these games and expecting to not like this one-I am not even sure why I did rent it. After giving it like 5 hours, I decided that its a cute, clever, neat game that I have absolutely zero interest in. So I hope you all have a lot of fun with it!!

I agree with you, but then again I don't. I like the game, I think. Last night I had a lot of fun with the game, thought about it all day at work even. Got home and played it and I was just really sick of doing the little mazes. Sick of trying to figure out what would eat what, sick of the annoying workers who are barely adequate, if that. Sick of trying to attract a Doenut, and sick of all the pinatas I had already. Yet it's strangely addicting. I really don't know how I feel about the game.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 28, 2006, 01:12:17 AM

Questions:
Birdbath: Is there a way to get water in it? It's empty and my birds won't go near it.

I think the only purpose of the birdbath is to attract the crow pinata.  It starts out a baddie, but is pretty easy to convert.  I was never able to get water in the birdbath.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »

I figured out how to make fertilizer from the Nightshade berry but I dont know what to use that fertilizer on.

Also, I can now by special mix fertilizer from the homeless turned seller guy. Does this fertilizer replace all others (which it seems to). If so, does that include the nightshade fertilizer?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »

What use is fertlizer?  I haven't used any fertilizer yet and all my plants are growing just fine.

On another note:  how the heck do you get a Jack-O-Lantern?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: