http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viva Pinata?  (Read 19712 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3044


View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2006, 05:15:54 PM »

Gamertag is Jarrodhk.
Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4001



View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2006, 05:17:03 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 15, 2006, 05:09:33 PM

I'm up for trading Pinatas biggrin. I've got a good number of Buzzlegums, the squirrel things, Fudgehogs, newts, and badgers.

Badgers?! I don't need no stinking badgers!
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2006, 05:18:07 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 15, 2006, 05:09:33 PM

I'm up for trading Pinatas biggrin. I've got a good number of Buzzlegums, the squirrel things, Fudgehogs, newts, and badgers.

Gamertag is godhugh.

Also, if you don't want a particular species in your garden (like the raisants), let them come in and become a resident, then sell them. The raisants sell for 1000 I believe.

Make your badger go for a swim...interesting results.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »

Ok, gang...still trying to make honey.
I need to get a beekeeper hat for the gatherer, yes? I know how to get that for a piņata, but not for a helper.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1097



View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2006, 07:26:36 PM »

What I've read (I haven't done it) is that the hat goes on the buzzlegum.

Strange that it'd be that way, but that's what's being posted around the 'net.
Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1097



View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »

This is a decent wiki.  There are a lot of gaps, but there seems to be a decent amount of good info in there.

This is the buzzlegum page:  http://pinataisland.info/index.php?title=Buzzlegum
Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 15, 2006, 07:26:36 PM

What I've read (I haven't done it) is that the hat goes on the buzzlegum.

Strange that it'd be that way, but that's what's being posted around the 'net.


Hmm..will more buzzlegums with hats yield more honey?
I stillw ant to know what this item is that's produced when they romance...it sells to the shop for 500, but it isn't honey. I tried getting a buzzlegum to eat it, but no go. I'm betting it can be eaten by at least one other species, though.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1097



View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2006, 08:29:52 PM »

I've been away from it for a day, and likely won't get any play time in until tomorrow, but I'll take a look if no one else figures it out before then.
Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 15, 2006, 07:33:07 PM

Quote from: DonD on November 15, 2006, 07:26:36 PM

What I've read (I haven't done it) is that the hat goes on the buzzlegum.

Strange that it'd be that way, but that's what's being posted around the 'net.


Hmm..will more buzzlegums with hats yield more honey?
I stillw ant to know what this item is that's produced when they romance...it sells to the shop for 500, but it isn't honey. I tried getting a buzzlegum to eat it, but no go. I'm betting it can be eaten by at least one other species, though.

The buzzlegums will not produce honey unless they're wearing the hat. Put it on one and after a little bit they will be listed as "ready to produce". Then, just direct them to the honey hive and boom, you have honey.

I don't think they produce anything other then an egg when they mate. At least, that's all I've ever seen when I've mated mine (and I've got the master romancer award for them).
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13907

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2006, 06:19:07 AM

So, I picked this up today.  So far it's pretty interesting.  I started naming my pinata's after forum members.  My first Whirlm became Arkon, and the next became Destructor, then the two begat Calvin.  A sparrowmint named Warning arrived, followed by another named ATB.  Soon enough, Warning devoured Arkon while ATB launched an assault on Calvin.  Having fed upon the delicious candy innards of the two late Whirlms they soon made sweet, sweet love, and Lee was born......
TELL ME I SURVIVED!!!?
Logged
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2261


View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2006, 08:46:39 PM »

This stupid %$^&%#  games is like electronic  $#%%$#  crack. I'm not getting anything   @#$%$#  done anymore.  %$!@#!@


BTW, I had an amazingly difficult time getting my quackberries to mate. Both were happy, all the requirements were met, there was space in the garden, but they would fly next to each other and then promptly fly away.  I chased those stupid birds down for about twenty minutes, and it wasn't until I got both of them to meet in the pond that they successfully romanced. Do they always need to be in a pond to initiate the romance, or was I just unlucky?
Logged
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2006, 08:52:55 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 15, 2006, 01:05:18 PM

Is there a way to keep your pinatas happier aside from buying happy candy (I was smashing up a Bunnycomb to see if the other pinatas eating pinata candy would make them happier, when my wife looked up and gave me a sad face for attacking the bunny with a shovel which stopped me in my tracks, so I'll try again when she isn't watching...)
Accessories on the pinata will also make them happy.  I gave a pinata a hat, shoes and yokel teeth and it went from  icon_neutral to  icon_biggrin

It's weird hearing about how ill-tempered Raisants are.  I haven't had any problems with them so far and they're one of the older species in my garden.  They only fights I've had are when they've gotten zapped with a thistle.  I've mainly been farming them and Fudgehogs to make some good $$.

Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 15, 2006, 08:52:55 PM

Quote from: JLu on November 15, 2006, 01:05:18 PM

Is there a way to keep your pinatas happier aside from buying happy candy (I was smashing up a Bunnycomb to see if the other pinatas eating pinata candy would make them happier, when my wife looked up and gave me a sad face for attacking the bunny with a shovel which stopped me in my tracks, so I'll try again when she isn't watching...)
Accessories on the pinata will also make them happy.  I gave a pinata a hat, shoes and yokel teeth and it went from  icon_neutral to  icon_biggrin

It's weird hearing about how ill-tempered Raisants are.  I haven't had any problems with them so far and they're one of the older species in my garden.  They only fights I've had are when they've gotten zapped with a thistle.  I've mainly been farming them and Fudgehogs to make some good $$.



If you don't have a lot of Buzzlegums, they do alright. It's when I mixed those two, and thistle, that World War 3 broke out in my garden. I swear, I think I had 4 seperate fights between Buzzlegums and Raisants all going at the same time. I was smacking a lot of Pinatas right then slywink.
Logged
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2006, 09:02:20 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 15, 2006, 08:56:16 PM


If you don't have a lot of Buzzlegums, they do alright. It's when I mixed those two, and thistle, that World War 3 broke out in my garden. I swear, I think I had 4 seperate fights between Buzzlegums and Raisants all going at the same time. I was smacking a lot of Pinatas right then slywink.
Ah, that would explain it then.  My garden is Buzzlegum free.  :smile:
Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:00 PM »

This game is so fun, anyone looking for anything in particular?  I have a metric ton of flutterscotches, all colors I believe.  I could use a newtgat or two.
Logged
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2006, 09:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 09:08:00 PM

This game is so fun, anyone looking for anything in particular?  I have a metric ton of flutterscotches, all colors I believe.  I could use a newtgat or two.

I actually need some flutterscotches. I want to breed my Lickatoad's, but don't want to invest in attracting the flutterscotches to my garden. I should have some extra newtgat's after a couple hours of playtime (tonight or tomorrow).
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2006, 09:10:53 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 15, 2006, 09:09:56 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 09:08:00 PM

This game is so fun, anyone looking for anything in particular?  I have a metric ton of flutterscotches, all colors I believe.  I could use a newtgat or two.

I actually need some flutterscotches. I want to breed my Lickatoad's, but don't want to invest in attracting the flutterscotches to my garden. I should have some extra newtgat's after a couple hours of playtime (tonight or tomorrow).

Need plain white, or what colors?
Logged
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1063


View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 09:10:53 PM

Quote from: godhugh on November 15, 2006, 09:09:56 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 09:08:00 PM

This game is so fun, anyone looking for anything in particular?  I have a metric ton of flutterscotches, all colors I believe.  I could use a newtgat or two.

I actually need some flutterscotches. I want to breed my Lickatoad's, but don't want to invest in attracting the flutterscotches to my garden. I should have some extra newtgat's after a couple hours of playtime (tonight or tomorrow).

Need plain white, or what colors?

Green please smile. Lickatoads are awfully picky.
Logged
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4001



View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »

Man, I have to name the members of my garden after friends and forum members now! Darnitall! icon_biggrin
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 20973



View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2006, 09:47:11 PM »

This is the coolest press goodie I've gotten in a long, long time.  Viva Pinata indeed!

Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2006, 09:51:22 PM »

Arkon, do you recall how to make the green ones? EDIT: NM, watercress from other thread.
I was looking at the requirements to get a Buzzenge resident. I saw I needed to have a bunch of lickatoads to visit (and maybe become residents) then they have to eat shellybeans to romance...doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Getting Flutterscotches is easy, just plant half a dozen daisys.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:56:25 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 15, 2006, 09:51:22 PM

Arkon, do you recall how to make the green ones? EDIT: NM, watercress from other thread.
I was looking at the requirements to get a Buzzenge resident. I saw I needed to have a bunch of lickatoads to visit (and maybe become residents) then they have to eat shellybeans to romance...doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Getting Flutterscotches is easy, just plant half a dozen daisys.

Hrmm I thought Buzzenges eat Candaries.

Just got my first two Sweettooths!
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 10:27:36 PM

Hrmm I thought Buzzenges eat Candaries.

Just got my first two Sweettooths!

Could be...I was going from memory. I've been so busy just trying to attract a species or two to the garden that I have been doing next to no romancing.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2006, 01:03:19 AM »

How do you get rid of those Ruffians?  Their health bars are silver so my shovel doesn't do anything against them.  It just smashed my Kittyfloss house.  :icon_sad:

Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2006, 01:04:33 AM »

Well, I just attracted a big ass bear to my garden, now if he would just the damn honey I have laying around.  I have 3 bees, all with hats and some assorted other accessories, they are pumping out like 8 jars of honey a day lol.

Finding more species who don't like each other, currently have a butterfly paradise, have 2 pink, 2 red, 2 blue, 2 black, 2 green, and 2 yellows heh.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:43 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 16, 2006, 01:03:19 AM

How do you get rid of those Ruffians?  Their health bars are silver so my shovel doesn't do anything against them.  It just smashed my Kittyfloss house.  :icon_sad:



Kittyfloss???

The best bet is to hit them as soon as they come in, but I have yet to find a way at garden lvl 30+ to get rid of them.  Have bought every single shovel upgrade I could.
Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71767


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:21 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 15, 2006, 08:38:48 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2006, 06:19:07 AM

So, I picked this up today.  So far it's pretty interesting.  I started naming my pinata's after forum members.  My first Whirlm became Arkon, and the next became Destructor, then the two begat Calvin.  A sparrowmint named Warning arrived, followed by another named ATB.  Soon enough, Warning devoured Arkon while ATB launched an assault on Calvin.  Having fed upon the delicious candy innards of the two late Whirlms they soon made sweet, sweet love, and Lee was born......
TELL ME I SURVIVED!!!?

ATB whupped your ass and feasted upon your brains, losing power in the process  Tongue
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 411



View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2006, 01:26:24 AM »

So.....all you pinata players.....how kid friendly is it?   Yes, I'm asking as this is on the kids Christmas list.  I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old, both female.   Does it seem age appropriate?

- shaggy
Logged

Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3044


View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »

I would think so, yes.
Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2006, 01:38:14 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 16, 2006, 01:26:24 AM

So.....all you pinata players.....how kid friendly is it?   Yes, I'm asking as this is on the kids Christmas list.  I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old, both female.   Does it seem age appropriate?

- shaggy

Completely. Rated E. Aimed squarely at kids, but sophisticated enough for adults
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 58


View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2006, 01:45:49 AM »

I bought it more for my 11yr old daughter, but it's completely capitvated me and my 13yr old son.

I've put in more time with VP than I have with GoW that I got on the same day - lol

I'm up for trading - Gamertag: Dirok

Chris.
Logged
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1097



View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2006, 01:50:29 AM »

My son is 6, and is able to play the game and progress, for the most part.

Some of the minigame maps are too hard for him, but for most of the game, he can do it by himself.

Basically, in the romancing minigame, there's a sort of maze of peril where you can't touch the walls and have to get to your mate.  You are allowed to hit the wall about 4 times before you fail, so it's not terrible.  But the higher level critters have harder mazes with moving components, and that's really where he gets stuck.
Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2006, 02:32:43 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on November 16, 2006, 01:26:24 AM

So.....all you pinata players.....how kid friendly is it?   Yes, I'm asking as this is on the kids Christmas list.  I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old, both female.   Does it seem age appropriate?

- shaggy

100%  I highly recommend this for kids and adults alike.
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2006, 02:33:53 AM »

Quote from: DonD on November 16, 2006, 01:50:29 AM

My son is 6, and is able to play the game and progress, for the most part.

Some of the minigame maps are too hard for him, but for most of the game, he can do it by himself.

Basically, in the romancing minigame, there's a sort of maze of peril where you can't touch the walls and have to get to your mate.  You are allowed to hit the wall about 4 times before you fail, so it's not terrible.  But the higher level critters have harder mazes with moving components, and that's really where he gets stuck.

Thankfully the game has a "coop" mode, essentially you have two controllers on, and they both can control, so you could use the second controller to help your kids on tough parts.
Logged
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2675



View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2006, 02:37:39 AM »

Man this game is fun!  BUT BEWARE... you will lose time!  You will look at the clock and wonder where the past hour went.  I kept saying last night, "I'm going to wait until this pinata stays then I am going to bed... ok, he stayed... now what does it take to get him to mate?  Ok, just one more offspring..."  2 and a half hours after that I went to bed.  This is a very addictive game!
Logged

TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6237


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2006, 02:41:56 AM »

When I first started, I named all my pinata's...but damn, I feel bad when I gotta smash Jean-Pierre to bits for all the other pinata's to eat his life candy :/
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 16, 2006, 02:41:56 AM

When I first started, I named all my pinata's...but damn, I feel bad when I gotta smash Jean-Pierre to bits for all the other pinata's to eat his life candy :/

Why are you smashing your pinatas?  I have never had to do this, so curious...
Logged
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1097



View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2006, 01:06:58 PM »

I started a new garden.  I wanted to recruit the water pinatas, so I was going for at least 2/3 water.

I didn't get there.  Water is annoying to dig.  First you need to break the hard dirt into useable dirt, and then you need to dig it out shovelful by shovelful.  So to break the monotony, I started planting grass, and then the pinatas started showing up.  And then I thought I'd try to keep the ones I hadn't kept in the previous garden.

So now I'm still about 40% water, but with a completely different assortment of pinatas than in the original garden I created.

What is interesting is the achievements are cumulative between gardens.  So you could make 3 pinata variants in one garden and 2 in the second garden and you'd get the 'make 5 variants' achievement.  I didn't expect that, but it makes sense.

As previously mentioned, all money and unlocked items also carry over to your new garden.  When staring at a large square patch of plain old dirt, the listing of available stuff seems kind of daunting.  It is notable that the patch of land you get for garden number two has nothing on it.   In the tutorial garden, there was stuff in the way you had to smash to clear out.  And you got some coin for doing so.  The new garden has nothing but hard dirt.

I'm liking my garden design on garden #2 much better than what I had with #1.  It looks more planned (because it really is), and less cluttered and haphazard.  And since I have a clear idea of what pinatas I want, I've been selling off the unwanted one's almost immediately when they make themselves resident.  The result of which is a rapidly growing bankroll.
Logged

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1310


View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »

Last night I got my two Horaschio (?) - that guy on the cover of the box - and was silly excited for that.

Also attracted my first Doenut -- which took forever since I was trying to do so with the Gooseberries, and I just couldn't grow enough to keep him in.  Figured maybe the blackberries would be easier, so sold off all the gooseberries and associated bushes, and wow my money jumped.

I keep wanting to play some GoW -- but I start on 'just a half hour' of Viva and the next thing I know, it's bedtime...
Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »

I am sticking with my one garden for now.  Don't want to try splitting time between 2 of them.  Hoping to get a resident bear soon.  Got a dragumfly, they are fiesty buggers, as are reddhots.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.086s, 2q)