http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viva Pinata?  (Read 20096 times)
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2006, 12:18:22 AM »

Oh.  Yeah, that'd explain it.

Hehe.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2006, 12:44:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2006, 03:38:30 PM

As someone who hasn't played the game yet, I can't help but chuckle reading posts about Shellybeans and Fudgehounds from hardcore gamers  Tongue icon_lol

(I'll probably be picking this up myself)

Me too (on both accounts). I remember the crap I used to get for talking about EQ at work. Can you even imagine discussing this game at work? People would think you were light in your loafers.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2006, 12:59:02 AM »

According to the managers of my two local EB Games, this title is actually selling better much better than they expected. One store already burned through two different shipments of the game, and after Gears of War this is currently his fastest selling 360 title. It has even surpassed CoD3 for daily sales.  :icon_eek:

That is just...wrong. I wonder if this will actually be a minor hit for Rare and MS.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:01:15 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2006, 02:08:04 AM »

Save the Pinata!  icon_biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2006, 02:39:32 AM »

If Viva Pinata had been a Nintendo game, I'll bet it would score 9 or higher at many reviews sites.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2006, 03:25:41 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 13, 2006, 08:14:27 PM

4) An easier way to get to pinatas would be nice too.   As it is, if I'm looking for a specific pinata, I have to leave the game screen and go to the journal for the pinata list.  It feels a little clunky, but not a huge deal since the camera can zoom around pretty quickly. 

5) When you hit a button to show you where the target of an alert is, why can't we just hit the button again to be dropped right there, rather than being returned to the previous spot and have to navigate there?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2006, 12:52:06 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 08:23:36 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 07:50:14 PM

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 07:37:07 PM

I made the honey house for my bees, but didn't know how to get the honey out.  It didn't matter though because my gatherer seemed to know what to do and I got an achievement for it.

Did you have to tell the bees to go in to the honey house?  Do you have both the honey house and a buzzlegum house?

I have the honey house and the buzzlegum house.  I didn't have to force any interaction between the bees and the honey house.  In fact, I don't remember doing anything other than romancing the bees.  I don't know if that's related in any way, or just coincidental.  Or even if it was that pair of bees and not some other that was flying around the garden.

One site I looked at said if you buy the beekeeper hat accessory, it'd prompt your bees to make honey.  I know I got honey without doing that, so there clearly are other ways, but this seems like an easy, straightforward way to get it.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 14, 2006, 12:52:06 PM

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 08:23:36 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 07:50:14 PM

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 07:37:07 PM

I made the honey house for my bees, but didn't know how to get the honey out.  It didn't matter though because my gatherer seemed to know what to do and I got an achievement for it.

Did you have to tell the bees to go in to the honey house?  Do you have both the honey house and a buzzlegum house?

I have the honey house and the buzzlegum house.  I didn't have to force any interaction between the bees and the honey house.  In fact, I don't remember doing anything other than romancing the bees.  I don't know if that's related in any way, or just coincidental.  Or even if it was that pair of bees and not some other that was flying around the garden.

One site I looked at said if you buy the beekeeper hat accessory, it'd prompt your bees to make honey.  I know I got honey without doing that, so there clearly are other ways, but this seems like an easy, straightforward way to get it.

Hrmmm,will have to try it.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06:55 PM »

So, Don, what's the thing showing up by the buzzlegum house when they romance? ANyone?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 14, 2006, 01:06:55 PM

So, Don, what's the thing showing up by the buzzlegum house when they romance? ANyone?

Can you be a bit more descriptive?  I know at first I got a bit confused when they put the egg at the house, perhaps it is the egg?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »

Two quick questions folks. 

• How the heck do you make money early in the game???  I'm a little ways in and have lots of pinata wandering around but can't make money to buy anything in the shop?  DonD's advice on fruit trees is great but I have no money to buy them!  I must be missing something.
  • Is it true you have to satisfy the requirements for romancing for each pinata in order for them to romance?  For example, I checked the information on the sparrowmints and it said they (a) needed a house & (b) needed to eat a whilrm in order to romance.  I satisfied both for each sparrowmint, hearts appeared over the heads but they won't romance!  What am I doing wrong?

Here's a tip I discovered by accident:  if a bird-like pinata is on a perch/tree just whack the perch/tree once with the shovel and he/she will fly down and you can then easily select it.

Its great fun reading this thread with everyone spitting out the pinata names and discussing their garden techniques.  If you read through it from beginning to end, like I just did, it makes you chuckle.  icon_lol  What a great game!.  thumbsup

By the way, someone else here mentioned that there is alot going on at once.  Indeed!!!  I feel like I keep missing things.  I felt like I wanted to shut the gates of my garden just so I can catch my breath and figure out what to do next!  Those darn pinata kept coming in by the truckload!!!  icon_lol

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2006, 04:15:12 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 14, 2006, 04:11:40 PM

Two quick questions folks. 

• How the heck do you make money early in the game???  I'm a little ways in and have lots of pinata wandering around but can't make money to buy anything in the shop?  DonD's advice on fruit trees is great but I have no money to buy them!  I must be missing something.
  • Is it true you have to satisfy the requirements for romancing for each pinata in order for them to romance?  For example, I checked the information on the sparrowmints and it said they (a) needed a house & (b) needed to eat a whilrm in order to romance.  I satisfied both for each sparrowmint, hearts appeared over the heads but they won't romance!  What am I doing wrong?

Here's a tip I discovered by accident:  if a bird-like pinata is on a perch/tree just whack the perch/tree once with the shovel and he/she will fly down and you can then easily select it.

Its great fun reading this thread with everyone spitting out the pinata names and discussing their garden techniques.  If you read through it from beginning to end, like I just did, it makes you chuckle.  icon_lol  What a great game!.  thumbsup

By the way, someone else here mentioned that there is alot going on at once.  Indeed!!!  I feel like I keep missing things.  I felt like I wanted to shut the gates of my garden just so I can catch my breath and figure out what to do next!  Those darn pinata kept coming in by the truckload!!!  icon_lol

One easy way to make money:  Breed the hell out of your whirlims.  They sell for 100 a pop.  Make sure you click on one sparrowmint then click on the other, sometimes if they are far apart they don't make it to each other.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 14, 2006, 04:11:40 PM

You can also just tap said perch with the X button.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »

I got my apple tree from seedos I think.  If you talk to him he pops out seeds. I think he'll only give you 3 per visit, but those can be good ones at times.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2006, 05:39:43 PM »

yes, sell some of your pinatas. You'll find more.  icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2006, 06:19:07 AM »

So, I picked this up today.  So far it's pretty interesting.  I started naming my pinata's after forum members.  My first Whirlm became Arkon, and the next became Destructor, then the two begat Calvin.  A sparrowmint named Warning arrived, followed by another named ATB.  Soon enough, Warning devoured Arkon while ATB launched an assault on Calvin.  Having fed upon the delicious candy innards of the two late Whirlms they soon made sweet, sweet love, and Lee was born......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:09 AM »

Hmm Ceekay,  I think you need a moriarty in there somewhere... something... agressive.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2006, 08:12:42 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 15, 2006, 06:26:09 AM

Hmm Ceekay,  I think you need a moriarty in there somewhere... something... agressive.

I do have a Shellybean with a mean streak, but man, warning is aggressive.  He took out poor Destructor (who was the #1 stud for the Whirlms).  I guess he was pissed I sold Lee off.

Because I can,
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »

Seeds are dirt cheap.

Buy seeds instead of fruit or vegetables or trees.

Or you can hit up Seedos for some free seeds and eventually you'll get seeds for trees.  He'll usually give out 3 or 4 seeds each time he makes an appearance in your garden.

To romance, you should just have to select the first pinata, hit A, select the second pinata and hit A again and they'll hook up.

Sometimes, if they are far away though, they'll get distracted by something else before they hook up.

The same can happen if you direct one pinata to eat another and they aren't close enough or it's a particularly slow-moving pinata.

And mood also plays a role.  If the pinatas aren't happy (the smiley face that you see when you select them), they may not listen to what you want.  Candy helps improve their mood.  Who'd have thought you'd have to take 'em to dinner before you wanted to..you know..'romance' them.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2006, 08:12:42 AM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 15, 2006, 06:26:09 AM

I do have a Shellybean with a mean streak, but man, warning is aggressive.  He took out poor Destructor (who was the #1 stud for the Whirlms).  I guess he was pissed I sold Lee off.

Yeah, I started selling off shellybeans because they were fighting too much.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2006, 12:06:31 PM »

Shellybeans are indeed a mean bunch, as are raisants.  CeeKay I am saddened to hear I was the first to be eaten, I think I need to be reborn as a sherbat or something.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 12:06:31 PM

Shellybeans are indeed a mean bunch, as are raisants.  CeeKay I am saddened to hear I was the first to be eaten, I think I need to be reborn as a sherbat or something.

Yeah, if you have fruit growing, you'll get a fairly steady supply of raisants you can sell off for money. Same with thistle and shellybeans.
In fact, I have quite a bit of coin right now and not sure how to spend it.

I need to figure out which species I really want to cultivate. It's obvious you need to choose some to emphasize, and I think it's that aspect that ultimately will cause every game to play differently. It may seem like a "gotta catch 'em all" pokemon-type game at first, but that doesn't appear to be practical. As I said, that's a good thing in the long run, because it creates diversity.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 15, 2006, 12:14:27 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 12:06:31 PM

Yeah, if you have fruit growing, you'll get a fairly steady supply of raisants you can sell off for money. Same with thistle and shellybeans.
In fact, I have quite a bit of coin right now and not sure how to spend it.

I need to figure out which species I really want to cultivate. It's obvious you need to choose some to emphasize, and I think it's that aspect that ultimately will cause every game to play differently. It may seem like a "gotta catch 'em all" pokemon-type game at first, but that doesn't appear to be practical. As I said, that's a good thing in the long run, because it creates diversity.

Trust me, the money will be needed.  Have you opened up being able to build a mine yet (that sucker is like 16k heh)?  There is a lot of decision making when it comes to how you will run the garden.  For example there are many species that you will only get if you have a ton of grass/tall grass, but to get that you would need to have very little pond area.  Little pond area means no chance at attracting water based creatures like sweettooths, newtgats, lickatoads etc. 

Even what pinatas you have can determine what others you attract.  For example, the chameleon, which I can't remember the name of, requires that you have 5 different colored flutterscotches in order to make it stay as a resident.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »

That's interesting...I already have Newtgats visiting, and I don't have THAT much water. No, I'm not that far along...I think I'm at level 15 or so. I've got the next couple of days off, so I'm hoping to get some more time in with it.

Curiously, I just got my first flutterscotches in the garden, because I didn't have enough daisys planted. As I said earlier in the thread, I was planting one or two of a flower as needed. It took me a while to realize that I could look up the residential requirements of piņatas when they first appeared by going to the journal.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2006, 12:55:56 PM »

Newtgats and lickatoads are fairly low, but things like quackberries, sweettooths and higher need a pretty big %.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2006, 01:02:45 PM »

I think I had a quackberry appearance...I'll have to check.
So water vs grass is a major branching point in garden design. Any others you've come across, aside from simply some species not getting along well with others?

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »

Is there a way to keep your pinatas happier aside from buying happy candy (I was smashing up a Bunnycomb to see if the other pinatas eating pinata candy would make them happier, when my wife looked up and gave me a sad face for attacking the bunny with a shovel which stopped me in my tracks, so I'll try again when she isn't watching...)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 15, 2006, 01:02:45 PM

I think I had a quackberry appearance...I'll have to check.
So water vs grass is a major branching point in garden design. Any others you've come across, aside from simply some species not getting along well with others?

So far that has been a major one.  But the game has hinted at some other things, for example the Nightshade bush.  The fruit is toxic, but the game mentions that the danger is worth it if you figure out how to use it correctly.  Trees, some creatures will only come if you have quite a few full grown trees, which in order to get full grown requie a good bit of spacing.  I am not sure if there is a difference between grass and long grass as I can grow both.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2006, 02:53:29 PM »

I was having a ton of fights in my garden, between almost every species. I was able to tone it down quite a bit by doing this...

1) Moved thistle patch off the edge of the garden. When pinatas get near this is shocks them, which seems to make them rather angry.
2) Went through and found the pinatas who hate each other (buzzlegums and raisants for example) and put them on completely opposite sides of the garden.
3) Built a fish pond (it's under garden items in Costalot's store). This really seemed to improve all the Pinatas mood, surprisingly so.

Now, I only have a fight once every few days. Makes it much easier to get stuff done smile.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2006, 03:07:06 PM »

I've had a quackberry that wandered into the garden a couple of times, I have the pond space, but

Spoiler for Hiden:
he won't eat the fucking bread I've left out for him to become a resident! icon_evil

Grrr... stupid pinatas.

I'm going for an aviary garden; I'll have all the species of pinatas I can get, but I particularly want every species of bird.

We should get a list going of who's actively playing; I'd love to send gifts around and such, propagate my tag around for fun. icon_biggrin We could have a community network or somesuch!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »

Does your garden ever get bigger?  I'm level 9 or 10 and I'm running out of room.  I barely had space to put the bunnycomb house, and I've got some homeless pinata's.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2006, 03:22:33 PM »

Level 11 is the first size upgrade.

I'm up for trading pinatas!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2006, 03:31:25 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 15, 2006, 12:02:52 PM

Yeah, I started selling off shellybeans because they were fighting too much.

Every single Radiant that shows up in my garden (resident or not) picks a fight with EVERYthing... and promptly gets a beatdown. All Radiants are now KOS for me.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 15, 2006, 03:22:33 PM

Level 11 is the first size upgrade.

I'm up for trading pinatas!

What's your gamertag? I don't know if I have you on my friends list. For that matter, we get a list of VP players set up, I want to make sure I have everyone's gamertags. icon_smile

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2006, 03:53:42 PM »

If you read the encyclopedia entry on Radiants it specifically states they are ornery assholes that don't like anyone else.

You get two garden upgrades, second one is at lvl 23 I believe.  Also don't think you need to build a house for everyone, just have houses for those you want to romance at the time.

Would love to send some pinatas around.

Think I will name my Monkey who wears a fez and scratches his ass all the time CeeKay...

icon_lol

And my Raisants will be Lord Ebonstone and Kobra.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2006, 04:02:27 PM »

There is something weird in my garden; my bunnycombs have gotten into more fights than the radiants!  (Granted, I did hit that one with the shovel) 

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »

Make sure they are happy.  Buy a rainbow if it is available to you.

This game is so much fun, it should be illegal.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 15, 2006, 03:53:42 PM

And my Raisants will be Lord Ebonstone and Kobra.

LOL

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »

I'm up for trading Pinatas biggrin. I've got a good number of Buzzlegums, the squirrel things, Fudgehogs, newts, and badgers.

Gamertag is godhugh.

Also, if you don't want a particular species in your garden (like the raisants), let them come in and become a resident, then sell them. The raisants sell for 1000 I believe.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 15, 2006, 04:02:27 PM

There is something weird in my garden; my bunnycombs have gotten into more fights than the radiants!  (Granted, I did hit that one with the shovel) 

I like to isolate the bunnycombs into their own little pen. They tend to get eaten and picked on a lot and seem to be a lot happier when left to congregate amongst themselves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: