http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viva Pinata?  (Read 20592 times)
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 12:30:21 AM »

I haven't really come back to post more impressions because it is so hard to describe how the game plays.

It has....

....elements of a Builder / RTS game (placing things in your garden and getting certain pinantas so that you can use those things to get better ones)

....elements of Zoo Tycoon (managing your garden to suit different pinatas)

....elements of Animal Crossing (Store to buy things, items to discover, personalization, ect)

And many other gameplay elements so it is hard to categorize it.

It is absolutely addicting and the element of discovery is a huge part of this game. Best of all, you never feel like you don't have something to do.

It is a great game because while it might borrow from other games it is wholly unique in how it plays. Kids can technically play it, but it is absolutely a game for adults when it comes to advancing.

Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 01:13:01 AM »

Quote from: Raintitan on November 13, 2006, 12:30:21 AM

I haven't really come back to post more impressions because it is so hard to describe how the game plays.

It has....

....elements of a Builder / RTS game (placing things in your garden and getting certain pinantas so that you can use those things to get better ones)

....elements of Zoo Tycoon (managing your garden to suit different pinatas)

....elements of Animal Crossing (Store to buy things, items to discover, personalization, ect)

And many other gameplay elements so it is hard to categorize it.

It is absolutely addicting and the element of discovery is a huge part of this game. Best of all, you never feel like you don't have something to do.

It is a great game because while it might borrow from other games it is wholly unique in how it plays. Kids can technically play it, but it is absolutely a game for adults when it comes to advancing.

It truly is a great game.  Word of advice, anything you buy you can hit Y twice to go to the encyclopedia entry when you have it selected in your garden.  The encyclopedia gives you alot of good info about what items do.  Thankfully I found out I had a poisonus fruit bearing shrub in my garden before it bore fruit heh.

Get your Pinatas to eat anything they can, this is a good way to find variants such as:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Sparrowmint will become a candary (complete new species) when it eats a buttercup.
Candary will become a blue variant if it eats a bluebell

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »

Anybody pick it up from EB/Gamestop?  I just got back and they gave me a pack of cards that apparently have a code for a free download.  I don't think I'll get around to it tonight, unfortunately.  I like the different case as well.

I just have WAY too many games to play right now.  It's obscene.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 01:48:10 AM »

I got mine from EB on Friday as they were taking them out of the boxes. No card, no code, or anything like that was given to me.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »

Yep, no cards for me.  Think I'll wander by the gamestop tomorrow and see if they have any.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 02:17:25 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on November 13, 2006, 01:19:03 AM

Anybody pick it up from EB/Gamestop?  I just got back and they gave me a pack of cards that apparently have a code for a free download.  I don't think I'll get around to it tonight, unfortunately.  I like the different case as well.

I just have WAY too many games to play right now.  It's obscene.

Rofl, they were only supposed to give you one.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 02:22:00 AM »

How or where do I get medicine?

I am supposed to be using it on one of the sour pinatas, but don't see it in the store, and the doc isn't helpful for this particular requirement.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 02:35:29 AM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 02:22:00 AM

How or where do I get medicine?

I am supposed to be using it on one of the sour pinatas, but don't see it in the store, and the doc isn't helpful for this particular requirement.

Buy a gold ticket from the tinker and use it on a pot of honey which you can get from the shop under produce I believe.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 03:34:44 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 02:17:25 AM

Rofl, they were only supposed to give you one.

Ha!  I just opened it and found that they are indeed 10 of the same card. icon_lol  I'm always stunned when I get anything, pre-order or otherwise.

Any objections to me posting the code?  It's the same on all the cards so it's not some super secret I'd imagine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:01 AM »

Yeah I saw that when I opened the pack.
*shrug*
[wonka]no, stop, don't.[/wonka]
There have to be thousands of thse cards out there...only a matter of time before it shows up on the web.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 04:07:16 AM »

I will not let the Forum Effect make me buy this game....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 04:41:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2006, 04:07:16 AM

I am buying it this week. Stupid GTFE.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 04:51:00 AM »

I've been trying to find a game that i could enjoy with my girlfriend, but so far I have been unsuccessful. Do any of you think this game has the possibility of luring a non-gaming female into playing? My GF has truly tried to play Table Tennis and Gears of War with me, but she is absolutely terrible at handling a controller. In GoW she spent most of our co-op play running into walls or shooting at the ground, and although she said she was enjoying herself, I know that she was frustrated.

I really have no love for these type of Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon-esque games, but I'd be willing to play if I could find something that she might enjoy. So, basically, is this a game for non-gamers?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 12:04:41 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 13, 2006, 04:51:00 AM

I've been trying to find a game that i could enjoy with my girlfriend, but so far I have been unsuccessful. Do any of you think this game has the possibility of luring a non-gaming female into playing? My GF has truly tried to play Table Tennis and Gears of War with me, but she is absolutely terrible at handling a controller. In GoW she spent most of our co-op play running into walls or shooting at the ground, and although she said she was enjoying herself, I know that she was frustrated.

I really have no love for these type of Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon-esque games, but I'd be willing to play if I could find something that she might enjoy. So, basically, is this a game for non-gamers?

I would say very much so.  My wife isn't a twitch gamer.  She likes Uno and Bejewelled.  She is wanting to start her own garden now.  Also if control is an issue, you can always plug in a second controller and help her out if she needs help.  This game is addictingly fun.

I just got my first Cinnamonkey resident woohoo!

Oh and I just encountered a Sour Pinata that to convert requires I am a Master Romancer of a minimum of 5 species.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:13:26 PM by Arkon » Logged
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 12:52:09 PM »

Fruit trees are a real money-maker.  I planted a couple of apple trees early on, and after a short time, they dropped their fruit.  Which attracted the usual assortment of pinatas that would be interested in such a thing.  Well..I didn't want Raisants (since they were fighting something else I had in the garden), so I sold them.  And I sold the fruit.  And then the fruit dropped again.  And again.  And again.  And then more Raisants showed up.  Cha-ching.  Sold again.

Same deal with some fruit-bearing shrubs I have (blackberry?).

I can't even keep up with the fruit that drops now since I have so much going on.  I hired the gatherer (at a cost of around 900 coins), and I think she'd duplicated herself to be able to pick it all up.  I could swear I've seen two of her in my garden.

But for some reason, I have yet to get any nuts out of my hazelnut trees.  I don't understand that, and I need the nuts for my squirrels.

One more tip while I'm at it.  Don't plant the trees too close together.  Two reasons for this:  First, you might stunt the growth and not get an adult tree that can bear fruit.  Second, I have 3 trees in a roughly triangular formation, and I had a sick pinata in the middle that the doctor couldn't reach.  He seems to need a lot of unobstructed room to be able to maneuver that docmobile of his.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 01:01:38 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 12:52:09 PM

Fruit trees are a real money-maker.  I planted a couple of apple trees early on, and after a short time, they dropped their fruit.  Which attracted the usual assortment of pinatas that would be interested in such a thing.  Well..I didn't want Raisants (since they were fighting something else I had in the garden), so I sold them.  And I sold the fruit.  And then the fruit dropped again.  And again.  And again.  And then more Raisants showed up.  Cha-ching.  Sold again.

Same deal with some fruit-bearing shrubs I have (blackberry?).

I can't even keep up with the fruit that drops now since I have so much going on.  I hired the gatherer (at a cost of around 900 coins), and I think she'd duplicated herself to be able to pick it all up.  I could swear I've seen two of her in my garden.

But for some reason, I have yet to get any nuts out of my hazelnut trees.  I don't understand that, and I need the nuts for my squirrels.

One more tip while I'm at it.  Don't plant the trees too close together.  Two reasons for this:  First, you might stunt the growth and not get an adult tree that can bear fruit.  Second, I have 3 trees in a roughly triangular formation, and I had a sick pinata in the middle that the doctor couldn't reach.  He seems to need a lot of unobstructed room to be able to maneuver that docmobile of his.

Hit Y on the hazelnut tree, it is possible you grew one that doesn't have any active fruit points.  I think hazelnut trees can have a max of 20, but I found quite a few that got stunted from under/overwatering or because I didn't dig a hole for it and ended up with 0 out of 20 active fruit points.

If the doc can't get to it, whack the heck out of him and get his candy   =)
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »

I'll quietly admit here, I've been playing this more than Gears of War so far...

Last night when I had my Fudgehogs make their first offspring, my wife looked up from what she was doing on her laptop and asked, "Can I start a garden too?" 

I played a while though before I really realized that that there are tons of things in the shop I should try buying for different effects.  Occasionally I hear a strange 'beep' which I only assume means I have too many pinatas in my garden.

I'm really enjoying it, though I'm wondering if I'm doing something 'wrong' by selling my pinatas -- is it 'bad' to smash them open in the garden, or is there another thing you are supposed to do with them that I just didnt' figure out yet??

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »

You can sell them directly without smashing them open.  I think the first one needs to be sold through the shop -> sell interface.

After that, once you highlight a pinata in your garden, there should be a visible option to sell it on the flower / button thing in the corner.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 01:59:55 PM

You can sell them directly without smashing them open.  I think the first one needs to be sold through the shop -> sell interface.

After that, once you highlight a pinata in your garden, there should be a visible option to sell it on the flower / button thing in the corner.

So I was doing it right; cool!  I was worried there was some 'send the pinata to a party' button I wasn't seeing.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 02:36:59 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 13, 2006, 02:24:36 PM

So I was doing it right; cool!  I was worried there was some 'send the pinata to a party' button I wasn't seeing.

Once you get in far enough, Pinata Central will send challenges, essentially a crate that they need you to put certain pinatas into for a party and you get candy etc for doing so.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 02:36:59 PM

Quote from: JLu on November 13, 2006, 02:24:36 PM

Once you get in far enough, Pinata Central will send challenges, essentially a crate that they need you to put certain pinatas into for a party and you get candy etc for doing so.

I had my first challenge last night -- I felt slightly guilty in sending off 3 Bunnycombs until they came back 30 seconds later.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »

I could use a tutorial on segmenting your garden with barriers. Do you guys split animals into different parts or just use barriers to protect flowers & fruit or what?

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2006, 03:09:53 PM »

I haven't gone the route of fences yet.

When I see two pinatas fighting, I've been selling off one one of the offending species.

Initially, I felt some guilt..as if I was supposed to keep every pinata that showed up in my garden.  But at some point I reached the pinata limit, and then I figured that this was what I was supposed to be doing anyway.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 03:03:30 PM

I could use a tutorial on segmenting your garden with barriers. Do you guys split animals into different parts or just use barriers to protect flowers & fruit or what?

It all depends on how you want to run your garden.  Cluckles are an excellent money maker, they are cheap to romance.  That said any wandering Petztails will eat your cluckles, so I designed a chicken coop, it was a house with fencing all around it.  Kept the cluckles in and the pretztails out.  I haven't had a need to protect flowers and fruit so far.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2006, 03:18:21 PM »

Huh...I had to make a fence to keep the shellybean from eating the thistle I was trying to grow...but then it's hard to get stuff to wander in and eat it. Maybe I should just be planting a bunch instead of a couple at a time?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 03:18:21 PM

Huh...I had to make a fence to keep the shellybean from eating the thistle I was trying to grow...but then it's hard to get stuff to wander in and eat it. Maybe I should just be planting a bunch instead of a couple at a time?

Thistle - was that for romancing moths?  I usually plant 6 or 7 at a time of them.  Shellybeans and Fudgehounds love thistle.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 03:20:16 PM

Thistle - was that for romancing moths?  I usually plant 6 or 7 at a time of them.  Shellybeans and Fudgehounds love thistle.

I need it to get a secnd shellybean for a resident, and also for fudgehounds/moths/etc. The resident shellybean keeps eating the darned things. Maybe I just need to plant more. I don't have a farmer mentality. I usually plant one or two of something...not a whole crop.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2006, 03:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 03:32:58 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 03:20:16 PM

I need it to get a secnd shellybean for a resident, and also for fudgehounds/moths/etc. The resident shellybean keeps eating the darned things. Maybe I just need to plant more. I don't have a farmer mentality. I usually plant one or two of something...not a whole crop.

For some reason I thought it was something else that attracted shellybeans.  Anyways the other thing you could do would be to plant some on opposite ends of the garden.  Careful with the fusgehounds, they are damn ornery.  Always fought with my other creatures.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »

As someone who hasn't played the game yet, I can't help but chuckle reading posts about Shellybeans and Fudgehounds from hardcore gamers  Tongue icon_lol

(I'll probably be picking this up myself)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2006, 03:38:30 PM

As someone who hasn't played the game yet, I can't help but chuckle reading posts about Shellybeans and Fudgehounds from hardcore gamers  Tongue icon_lol

You forgot Lickatoads, Mothdrops, Flutterscotches, Pretztails, Bunnycombs, Tafflys, and uhm...oh, never mind.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2006, 04:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 03:47:19 PM

You forgot Lickatoads, Mothdrops, Flutterscotches, Pretztails, Bunnycombs, Tafflys, and uhm...oh, never mind.

Or Squazzils, Buzzenges, Cinnamonkeys, Newtgats, Macaracoons, Crowlas and Doenuts.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2006, 05:57:44 PM »

Question: When buzzlegums romance, an item appears by their house. What is this? I can't hit the Y button to get info on it, nor can I seem to do anything with it. I thought at first this was a pot of honey, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

How does one get honey?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2006, 06:09:56 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 13, 2006, 05:57:44 PM

Question: When buzzlegums romance, an item appears by their house. What is this? I can't hit the Y button to get info on it, nor can I seem to do anything with it. I thought at first this was a pot of honey, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

How does one get honey?

It can be purchased at the store, or you can build a honey extractor device of some such which I haven't figured out yet, but I did build it.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2006, 07:04:07 PM »

What he said, on both counts.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »

I made the honey house for my bees, but didn't know how to get the honey out.  It didn't matter though because my gatherer seemed to know what to do and I got an achievement for it.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 07:37:07 PM

I made the honey house for my bees, but didn't know how to get the honey out.  It didn't matter though because my gatherer seemed to know what to do and I got an achievement for it.

Did you have to tell the bees to go in to the honey house?  Do you have both the honey house and a buzzlegum house?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »

I ended up enclosing my thistle inside a fence barrier.  Too many of my pinatas were wandering up to it and getting zapped.

After a few more hours, I'm still addicted.  I love the animation of the Pretztail sneaking up on the Bunnycomb.  :smile:

The things that bug me are fairly minor, but here they are  :
1) Not being able to move buildings once they are built.  When my garden expands, it would be nice to be able to rearrange what's already there.  The same goes for pinatas.  I've had a couple instances where they get stuck on something, so I have to smash the item to unstick them.  It would be easier if I could just pick the pinatas up.

2) Kind of related to the first one - I wish when selling or placing items from the shop the game would pause.  Sometimes I have to sit and wait until the pinatas move out of way to place something.

3) The warning "A pinata is about to be eaten." is way too late.  By the time the alert shows up, it's too late to do anything. 

4) An easier way to get to pinatas would be nice too.   As it is, if I'm looking for a specific pinata, I have to leave the game screen and go to the journal for the pinata list.  It feels a little clunky, but not a huge deal since the camera can zoom around pretty quickly. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2006, 08:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 13, 2006, 07:50:14 PM

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 07:37:07 PM

Did you have to tell the bees to go in to the honey house?  Do you have both the honey house and a buzzlegum house?

I have the honey house and the buzzlegum house.  I didn't have to force any interaction between the bees and the honey house.  In fact, I don't remember doing anything other than romancing the bees.  I don't know if that's related in any way, or just coincidental.  Or even if it was that pair of bees and not some other that was flying around the garden.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2006, 09:42:27 PM »

What does it mean when a pinata looks like it's on fire?

I have one that does that every so often (he isn't fighting anything or threatening any other pinatas).  I thought maybe he's not happy, but I'm not really sure.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:48 PM »

Quote from: DonD on November 13, 2006, 09:42:27 PM

What does it mean when a pinata looks like it's on fire?

I have one that does that every so often (he isn't fighting anything or threatening any other pinatas).  I thought maybe he's not happy, but I'm not really sure.

It means he got too close to the torch you installed to attract moths, and well he caught fire.

icon_biggrin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: