http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visual Concepts possibly working on football game  (Read 1110 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »

Cross-posted at OO:

Taken from  Dubious Quality:

This isn't confirmed yet, and it could be a wild goose chase, but it doesn't feel like one. DQ reader Gwon Chang let me know that the 2K forum mods released a self-described "cryptic announcement" today, which you can see here (reg required). It's a series of websites with what looks like jersey numbers attached at the end.

The message has been decoded as meaning "generic equals balance."

Like I said, the message (and thread in the 2K forums) is very strange (and downright misleading in some places), but unless it's some kind of remarkably elaborate prank, Take-Two's Visual Concepts is working on a generic pro football game.

As long as the players are based off the real NFL players and you can edit the roster names, I'll be all over it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »

Hmmm....

I guess it's "wait and see" time.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »

Are people really interested in a game without official rosters and teams? 

I suppose, if there was a *very* easy way to change the team names, such as a fan roster, then maybe it'd be interesting.  I just don't think I could get excited about it, unless the Visual Concepts game was far, far better then Madden, and that's never happened before in my opinion.  The game could also be $20 again too, and it'd make it a much easier purchase.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 16, 2006, 04:16:34 PM

I suppose, if there was a *very* easy way to change the team names, such as a fan roster, then maybe it'd be interesting.  I just don't think I could get excited about it, unless the Visual Concepts game was far, far better then Madden, and that's never happened before in my opinion.  The game could also be $20 again too, and it'd make it a much easier purchase.

I could care less about players names, team names etc, as long as it plays a good game of football, that is what is important.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »

Some of my favorite sports games going back to the early advent of pc gaming consisted of fictional teams and fictional leagues.  Heck, without having to worry about throwing $ at a franchise licence, they could put it back into development.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:51:08 PM »

I could care less about players names, team names etc, as long as it plays a good game of football, that is what is important.
In theory, its how the game plays that matters most.  I find that having the player names is a huge win though.  Winning Eleven has been the best soccer game for years, but its played drastically better then Fifa for most of the time, and the Master League mode really trumps anything Fifa has done.

What would a new football game have to do to really be better then Madden, and sell well, especially at a higher price point?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56:02 PM »

I buy NCAA football every year so I guess I am.  Edit player and edit team is all the modders and I need.

Whether it would sell beyond the hardcore is a different story...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 11:12:05 PM »

I've been reading through the OS threads and it seems to be a bunch of drama about... nothing. Some "unofficial" announcements that were made "for fun" to see about the potential interested customer base for a new 2k game.

BTW, I was the "tipster" quoted in the OP's post. smile

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:37:48 AM »

I remember playing Mike Ditka Ultimate Football and the ORIGINAL Front Page Sports: Football, and both of those didn't have official rosters and teams and I still had a blast with them.  Granted, that was a while ago, but I wouldn't mind something like that.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:12:02 AM »

Quote from: Scott on August 16, 2006, 07:51:08 PM

What would a new football game have to do to really be better then Madden, and sell well, especially at a higher price point?

Off the top of my head....

- Ragdoll physics

-True gang tackling and blocking

-Online leagues with trades, drafts, injury tracking, dynamic owner replacement

-Online spectator mode

-Online Franchise

-VIP (AI that imitates the tendencies of a human player over time)

-Much better presentation

-Play editor

-Ability to customize uniforms and logos for online and single player ala Chromehounds/Forza

-Individual defensive assignments

-Dynamic field wear.

-Co op online play

-Online Fair play rules

In a nutshell, focus on online play and user customizability.  Two things which Madden 360 all but ignores.  Also why would it have to be more expensive than Madden?  Take Two isn't paying millions of dollars for licensing and they already have the online league funcionality in place.  NCAA does fine with just player numbers, why would another game not do the same?  Especially if it was fully customizable.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:13:34 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »

I am not trying at all to diss the topic of the post, but am I wrong in remembering that this is the 2nd or 3rd time this exact same rumor has come up since the 2k series folded? I mean, I am excited at the possibility, I am absolutey hoping this happens, but it seems like this keeps popping up with no confirmation.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »

Taken from DQ, again:

An update to a post I made earlier this week.

There is no new announcement of a 2K pro football game. It was just a forum mod who decided to grandstand for a few days, essentially, and created all kinds of cryptic messages and secret "hints" about what turned out to be nothing more than his "campaign" to get Take-Two to make a generic pro football game.

Weak. And disappointing.

:icon_sad:

I blame Calvin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: