http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:49:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista Impressions/Gaming Issues  (Read 7010 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 29, 2007, 03:50:54 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2007, 03:33:07 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on January 29, 2007, 01:17:00 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 27, 2007, 02:44:04 PM

As much as I'm looking forward to Vista, I don't think I'll be doing an upgrade.  I will probably be getting a new computer instead.

Same here.  Running an AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, an AGP motherboard and a non-DX10 card, it doesn't make much sense to try to upgrade.  In 6 months, for around $1000, I should be able to buy a decent new gaming rig with dual-core processors, a DX10 card and a PCI-E slot (and 2G RAM).

ditto that, except I'm currently looking at one for $2500 through ibuypower in the next month or so.  I priced the parts out through New Egg and it would be pretty close to the same price if I bought the parts seperately.  I'm also splurging on a few parts (quad core/SLI capable MB, 1100 watt power supply) so I can actually upgrade this PC unlike the one I bought about 2 years ago.  I figure it will hopefully be enough to avoid doing any major overhauls for the next 3 years.
I just bought a new PC through velocity micro. I was ready to buy it through ibuypower, and then I read the reviews for the company.
I'll just say, they don't seem to be a good company.

I love VM.

gellar
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 29, 2007, 03:57:58 PM

As much as I'm looking forward to Vista, I don't think I'll be doing an upgrade.  I will probably be getting a new computer instead.

Same here.  Running an AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, an AGP motherboard and a non-DX10 card, it doesn't make much sense to try to upgrade.  In 6 months, for around $1000, I should be able to buy a decent new gaming rig with dual-core processors, a DX10 card and a PCI-E slot (and 2G RAM).

ditto that, except I'm currently looking at one for $2500 through ibuypower in the next month or so.  I priced the parts out through New Egg and it would be pretty close to the same price if I bought the parts seperately.  I'm also splurging on a few parts (quad core/SLI capable MB, 1100 watt power supply) so I can actually upgrade this PC unlike the one I bought about 2 years ago.  I figure it will hopefully be enough to avoid doing any major overhauls for the next 3 years.
I just bought a new PC through velocity micro. I was ready to buy it through ibuypower, and then I read the reviews for the company.

I love VM.

gellar
I love you for recommending them.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 29, 2007, 03:46:04 PM

1100 watts?  You gonna heat your house with that or what?!    icon_eek

That is insane.  Seriously, that'll put out enough BTU's to heat a house, but imagine the power cost monthly?  500-550watters we have here on average, cost $25 more PER PC to have in the house.  Thats one of the reasons we dropped from 5 computers down to 3 the goddamn power cost was getting excessive.

But 1100 watts?  Thats 5 times more than every bulb in the house COMBINED.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 29, 2007, 04:14:58 PM

That is insane.  Seriously, that'll put out enough BTU's to heat a house, but imagine the power cost monthly?  500-550watters we have here on average, cost $25 more PER PC to have in the house.  Thats one of the reasons we dropped from 5 computers down to 3 the goddamn power cost was getting excessive.

Yeah but can your light bulbs do SLI?  I thought not.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »

I just did some looking into ibuypower and the reviews turned me off.  I may end up going with ABS now which will save me 100 dollars (no 1100 watt PS though).

Quote from: gellar on January 29, 2007, 04:19:26 PM

Yeah but can your light bulbs do SLI?  I thought not.

Actualy it would have been quad SLI  icon_cool

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 28, 2007, 12:45:29 PM

Ok, with a full day of the new OS under my belt, I have developed a love/hate relationship with it. I LOVE the new O/S. It really feels and acts much differently than XP.....and when programs work, they work beautifuly. I HATE though, the driver issues and some games not working at all (probabily due to the driver issues).

Give it 6 months or so and this O/S will leave XP in the dust. Right now though, it's still a work-in-progress.

Sorry to hear about all your problems, Hetz. I'm glad you're taking everything in stride. Some gamers out there are frothing at the mouth making absolutely ridiculous posts.

I understand your frustration, however. Vista is late to the market so you would think that larger companies, especially companies like nvidia, would have their act in order. I could understand if something small like my Nostromo gamepad didn't work in Vista, but a major video card? Come on...everyone knows gamers are early adopters.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:51:04 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

IMO, the really sad thing is that nVidia has historically had fantastic driver support.  Hopefully this is a temporary situation, but it's simply amazing how they've been caught flat-footed by an OS which has already been out for business purchasers for about six months, and was in open beta for over a year.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »

Here's an article comparing game performance in XP vs. Vista:
http://techgage.com/article/windows_vista_gaming_performance_reports

xbox live: nude rick james
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 29, 2007, 06:05:04 PM

IMO, the really sad thing is that nVidia has historically had fantastic driver support.  Hopefully this is a temporary situation, but it's simply amazing how they've been caught flat-footed by an OS which has already been out for business purchasers for about six months, and was in open beta for over a year.
You should all stop and realize that Vista hasn't been released yet. If the drivers are coming tomorrow, you can't fault nVidia or MS for anything, as they're releasing on the stated day.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 29, 2007, 06:44:38 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 29, 2007, 06:05:04 PM

You should all stop and realize that Vista hasn't been released yet. If the drivers are coming tomorrow, you can't fault nVidia or MS for anything, as they're releasing on the stated day.

Actually, it was released in November. The consumer version is not out yet, but the O/S has been out for awhile now for business and OEM use.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 06:49:08 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 29, 2007, 04:14:58 PM

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Clay on January 29, 2007, 06:35:15 PM

Here's an article comparing game performance in XP vs. Vista:
http://techgage.com/article/windows_vista_gaming_performance_reports

As that article states, I've had major problems with the Source games in Vista as well. No wonder Gabe Newell was all pissy about Vista in the latest Game Informer....     icon_biggrin

unbreakable
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »

It seems to be a whole "OMG!!  It's new, and we have to learn to program for a different OS!!  Why can't they just slap a new coat of paint onto XP, so we don't have to learn to do anything different?!?!?!" kind of thing.

Kind of exactly the way McAffee and Norton were whining that somehow MS was 'locking them out' of Vista because they weren't given the Vista source code.  A pretty interesting statement, considering they never had access the source code of any other MS OS.  Then another company which has a vscanner stated their product was already Vista compliant, and you just have to know how to program.

Obviously, hilarity ensued.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:14 PM »

Hetz, did you buy the upgrade or full version?  I was just reading that the upgrade version requires XP to be installed.  icon_evil

No more drive format with fresh install unless I spend an extra $100.  This really pisses me off.  If I can do a clean install with the full version, why not let me do the same with the upgrade?  I'm tempted to wait and see if MS releases an upgrade version that offers a compliance check via CD.  Somehow I doubt they will. 

16-bit and loving it!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 29, 2007, 11:45:14 PM

Hetz, did you buy the upgrade or full version?  I was just reading that the upgrade version requires XP to be installed.  icon_evil

No more drive format with fresh install unless I spend an extra $100.  This really pisses me off.  If I can do a clean install with the full version, why not let me do the same with the upgrade?  I'm tempted to wait and see if MS releases an upgrade version that offers a compliance check via CD.  Somehow I doubt they will. 

Since when has it been possible to do a clean install with just the upgrade version of any MS OS?  Last time I did a clean install I had to install Windows 98 and then upgrade it to XP because all I had was an XP upgrade disk.  This is no different.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 12:36:14 AM »

I got the OEM version, which is the Full version for $200 cheaper. smile

http://www.newegg.com/msvista/vista_products.html

$199.99 for the Full version of Ultimate! Not a bad deal.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 01:02:58 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 30, 2007, 12:08:42 AM

Since when has it been possible to do a clean install with just the upgrade version of any MS OS?  Last time I did a clean install I had to install Windows 98 and then upgrade it to XP because all I had was an XP upgrade disk.  This is no different.

I haven't had to do that in years.  With XP (and maybe even ME but I can't remember), at some point in the installation it would ask for a 98 or ME disk to verify that I had one but that was it. 
unbreakable
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 01:02:58 AM

I haven't had to do that in years.  With XP (and maybe even ME but I can't remember), at some point in the installation it would ask for a 98 or ME disk to verify that I had one but that was it. 

Yeah, if you had the disc in the drive or the files on the HD, it would accept that for the upgrade.  You may have had to insert your old product key as well, I can't remember.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007, 01:59:19 AM »

I saw this on Tweakguides.com

Update: Confusion is rife over this at the moment, but it appears that you can do a clean install using an Upgrade Edition, you simply have to boot into a qualifying previous version of Windows first, then start the installation process and choose a clean install to your selected hard drive.

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 01:59:19 AM

I saw this on Tweakguides.com

Update: Confusion is rife over this at the moment, but it appears that you can do a clean install using an Upgrade Edition, you simply have to boot into a qualifying previous version of Windows first, then start the installation process and choose a clean install to your selected hard drive.

This is exactly right.  If you start an upgrade from a running copy of Windows 2000 or later, you'll have a couple of options.  You'll be able to do an in-place upgrade maintaining your apps/settings, do a clean install while wiping the partition, or do a clean install to a new partition.

The way the upgrade and retail SKUs differ is if you boot setup from the DVD - in the upgrade SKU, it'll check for a qualifying version of Windows before proceeding.  In the retail version, it doesn't care.  However, if you boot setup from the DVD, you can't do an in-place upgrade (in either case).
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:03 AM »

Well I'm glad it sounds like there's an option for a clean install.  I still think it's annoying that if I ever upgrade to a new system I'll have to install XP first.  Obviously the "upgrade" installation doesn't actually upgrade anything, its entirely for Microsoft's benefit.

16-bit and loving it!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:24 AM »

For those of you with Vista Ultimate, there are now a couple "Ultimate Extras" now available from Windows Update. Texas Hold Em Poker and an enhancement to Bit Locker.

There are also a bunch of important and recomended updates up as well for all versions of Vista.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 30, 2007, 03:34:24 AM

For those of you with Vista Ultimate, there are now a couple "Ultimate Extras" now available from Windows Update. Texas Hold Em Poker and an enhancement to Bit Locker.

There are also a bunch of important and recomended updates up as well for all versions of Vista.

I am still not sure about Bit Locker.  According to one of MS's papers "BitLocker Drive Encryption is an integral new security feature in the Windows Vista operating system that provides considerable protection for the operating system on your computer and data stored on the operating system volume."   Well if it is integral why is it only in "Ultimate?" 

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 30, 2007, 02:09:13 PM

I am still not sure about Bit Locker.  According to one of MS's papers "BitLocker Drive Encryption is an integral new security feature in the Windows Vista operating system that provides considerable protection for the operating system on your computer and data stored on the operating system volume."   Well if it is integral why is it only in "Ultimate?" 

The entire OS exists on the disk regardless of what version you have. The key "unlocks" the features based on which version you purchased.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2007, 04:13:12 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 30, 2007, 02:09:13 PM

It's primarily intended to be a business-class feature:  the bitlocker guys want to help solve the problem of laptops with social security data being stolen from cars.  The feature actually ships in the Enterprise SKU as well; Ultimate is a union of the featuresets of all the other SKUs (therefore, it has media center as well as bitlocker).

It requires a TPM chip to run, so you may not be able to use it without a more recent motherboard.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 30, 2007, 02:56:03 AM

Well I'm glad it sounds like there's an option for a clean install.  I still think it's annoying that if I ever upgrade to a new system I'll have to install XP first.  Obviously the "upgrade" installation doesn't actually upgrade anything, its entirely for Microsoft's benefit.

Pssh....what do you know...you're Windows 95?  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 30, 2007, 05:10:43 PM

Which, sadly, doesn't qualify for the upgrade SKU. slywink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 30, 2007, 05:15:09 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 30, 2007, 05:10:43 PM

Which, sadly, doesn't qualify for the upgrade SKU. slywink

Hehe...zing!

Seriously, I suspect that I'll be jumping into the Vista realm soon, but I'm perfectly fine waiting on the copy I'm getting from a business seminar.  Right about that time we should see Service Pack 1 roll out and things should be much better by then. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »

Mock me at your own peril. ninja2

Windows95 is the ultimate power in the Universe.  

My features:
- A graphical user interface
- A "start" button
- Easy Internet access
- Best darn gaming platform

paranoid

Vista is nothing.  Prepare to be destroyed.  ninja

16-bit and loving it!
unbreakable
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 30, 2007, 05:45:16 PM

Right about that time we should see Service Pack 1 roll out and things should be much better by then. smile

I just read how MS might be releasing a quick Vista SP1, probably more as a psychological marketing reason (the "we don't roll out until after the first SP" mentality), than an actual bug-fix, needs based reason.

On the good side, they probably have to fill it with something, so hopefully they will toss a few extra features and drivers in which didn't make the original cut.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »

I sent in for my free copy of Vista a couple weeks ago. I'll just hang on to the box for a year or two probably. By then all the kinks should be worked out of the hardware drivers, etc. But everything works great right now. I don't see anything new in Vista that appeals to me. It just looks more overhead on my computer, taking up resources that my useful software could be using. That Rolodex thing? Big deal.

Unless they give us more stats in Freecell. Then I'll be all over it.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on January 30, 2007, 08:32:00 PM

It actually does have a Freecell rewrite.  It's much nicer looking, but I suspect it plays the same.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 10:31:48 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 30, 2007, 08:37:00 PM

It actually does have a Freecell rewrite.  It's much nicer looking, but I suspect it plays the same.  slywink

what, you're not required to have an 8800GTX 768 in order to play it?  c'mon, give us a true Freecell with seizure inducing visuals!!!  Tongue

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2007, 02:11:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 10:31:48 PM

what, you're not required to have an 8800GTX 768 in order to play it?  c'mon, give us a true Freecell with seizure inducing visuals!!!  Tongue

Heh, I'm about to have a siezure from Texas Hold Em on the Ultimate Extras. There is a MAJOR flickering bug with nVidias drivers or with Vista....I'm not sure which. Everyone else has been reporting the same bug in the game on the Nvidia forums.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2007, 05:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 02:11:39 AM

Heh, I'm about to have a siezure from Texas Hold Em on the Ultimate Extras. There is a MAJOR flickering bug with nVidias drivers or with Vista....I'm not sure which. Everyone else has been reporting the same bug in the game on the Nvidia forums.

Hetz I posted this in the other thread too, but wanted to make sure you got it-did youget ultimate or home premium, and if so why is the other better for a casual user?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2007, 12:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 31, 2007, 05:15:06 AM

Quote from: Hetz on January 31, 2007, 02:11:39 AM

Hetz I posted this in the other thread too, but wanted to make sure you got it-did youget ultimate or home premium, and if so why is the other better for a casual user?

I got the Ultimate version. Honestly though, most people would do just fine with Home Premium. I do some work from home though, so I went with Ultimate.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »

Myself, I am running Ultimate with an 8800GTX so I have a similar setup as Hetz does.  So far, the only issue I have had was DOM3 wouldn't function correctly, but by running it in Admin mode, everything went fine.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »

fwiw, my new HP came with the 64-bit Windows Vista Ultimate, with SP1.

Gaming-wise, it's been a peach. I've installed Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Bioshock, Gears of War PC, Call of Duty 4, City of Heroes/City of Villains. Everything has run fine with no problems. None of these are 64-bit games, but at least none have had any problems related to that. I'm not really clear on if these are running on a 32-bit emulator behind the scenes (they are by default installed into a folder labeled 32xx or something).

Oh wait. I don't have a gaming issue. I'm off topic!  icon_redface

Non-gaming wise? There I have a beef but this isn't the thread for me to whine about it in.  crybaby To be honest, if I'd known how many non-gaming issues the 64-bit OS would cause me, I would've looked for a different HP model that didn't use it. But I think I'll just look for some workarounds, or consider some sort of dual boot format if I'm desperate.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »

32-bit apps run in 32-bit modes, actually.  You'll have issues with 16-bit apps, but that's about it.  In terms of games, you'll hit that wall for programs that were made about 12 years ago, plus a few installers were stupidly grandfathered into more recent releases.  For instance, I recall one game (Harbinger) that installed perfectly fine but the patch used an older 16-bit installer.  The workaround I found dealt with installing the game and patching it on a 32-bit PC, copying to game folder onto a 2GB USB drive, and then copying the files onto my Vista machine. 

Silly?  Absolutely, but it worked.  Annoying?  It would have been if my 32-bit OS machine wasn't sitting a mere three feet away from my Vista box.  I'm lazy that way  icon_wink
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

Personally, I have jumped up to Vista Ultimate 64bit...not looking back smile

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: