http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 11:23:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista Impressions/Gaming Issues  (Read 6924 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:28:46 PM »

Ok, I got Vista Ultimate yesterday. What follows is my experiences with it trying to get it running well.

I went with a clean install. So everything is based off of that.

First Major Problem: No Vista Driver on the DVD for my Wireless Network card. Eeek. So, I had no network conectivity at all until I got on my laptop and found a beta Vista driver for my card, burned it to CD and then installed it on my main computer. This was made much harder by the second major problem...

Second Major Problem: None of the USB ports on my motherboard worked with Vista, which sucks when you are using a wireless keyboard and mouse from Microsoft no less (which also didn't have Vista Drivers included on the DVD  mad). This seems to be a common problem with nForce 4 motherboards and Windows Vista. So, I had to break out an old PCI USB 2.0 card that I had and install that for my External HDD (which I had backed up everything on), mouse or keyboard to work at all. Luckily, I found on old PS/2 Keyboard that I could use to try and get this all sorted out....but I didn't have any non-USB mouses anymore. Let me tell you, navagating Vista without a mouse is HARD!!

So anyway, once I finally got a halfway functional computer, I decided to install Vista Drivers for my brand-new Direct-X 10 8800GTX card! This is going to be awesome, built for the ground up for Vista and Direct X 10...this thing will scream!!! Here we go...ok....now where is the driver....hmmm....this can't be right....what the hell do you mean there is no driver for Vista yet!?!?!!  mad mad mad

Damnit all to hell. It looks like nVidia will release a (beta) Vista driver for the 8800 series of cards on 1/30/07, the official release date of Vista. Ugh....so seeing as how nVidia are being jerks, I'll have to try something else....ok....here we go! Finally! Here is a beta version 100.40 Vista driver for my card! God Bless the developers that leak drivers to the rest of us....ok, installed! Yay! Now it's time to see what this baby can do!

Load up Oblivion, neat it's in the "Games" area of Windows. Look at that, it's got the box art and everything! How cute. Anyway, I fire it up. It works! wOOt! Now, I go into the game.....looks good, plays great! Much faster than before. Things are looking up! So, I get outside and it looks awesome. Great framerates....hey this Vista isn't half bad! Wait a sec....why are my framerates going steadily down? What the hell is going on!?!? Ahhh.....now things are going about 2 FPS.....*CRASH*.   mad mad mad crybaby

Turns out there are lots of bugs in the Vista drivers from nVidia and Oblivion runs great for a bit, then frame rates tank and the game crashes. *sigh*

I'm about ready to throw my Vista disc in the trash and send forth a hate mail letter to nVidia and MS, when I decide to try Vanguard out....and it actually works great! I played for a couple hours with great framerates and rock solid stability.  icon_eek

So my final verdict....if you have a strong antacid on hand and don't mind solving some "issues" than Vista looks great and has lots of great new features. Unfortunailty the driver support right now is HORRENDOUS! Be prepared.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:36:12 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »

I should be getting my copy of Vista in the mail sometime in Feb. There is a really, really good chance I won't install it for several months. But I was lucky and got it (and the new Office) for free. So it won't bother me too much that I can't use it yet.

LiveTAG: happydog
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »

It's pretty sad nVidia couldn't be bothered to work on Vista compatible drivers...especially given how long it's been in Release Candidate status.

This reminds me of when XP came out.  It took many companies a year to release XP drivers, and some hardware never did get new drivers.  Heck, a lot of hardware never even made the jump from Win9x to Win2000.

As much as I'm looking forward to Vista, I don't think I'll be doing an upgrade.  I will probably be getting a new computer instead.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 27, 2007, 02:44:04 PM

It's pretty sad nVidia couldn't be bothered to work on Vista compatible drivers...especially given how long it's been in Release Candidate status.

This reminds me of when XP came out.  It took many companies a year to release XP drivers, and some hardware never did get new drivers.  Heck, a lot of hardware never even made the jump from Win9x to Win2000.

As much as I'm looking forward to Vista, I don't think I'll be doing an upgrade.  I will probably be getting a new computer instead.

Exactly, it's not like nVidia didn't have a TON of time to get drivers ready for it. It's been gold since November! It's also pretty ironic that their main card for Vista, doesn't even have (official) drivers that work for it. To be fair though, the rest of the Nvidia line of cards do have a beta Vista driver available on nVidias site.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »

What board are you using Hetz? I am using an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and didn't have any problems with USB ports. That has been my biggest problem with Vista, getting drivers that work. Hopefully everyone gets on board soon so this won't be a problem for long.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »

Does Vista actually ship with DirectX10?  I remember hearing it was being delayed a little while back but I never found out if that rumour was true or not.

Also, I'm getting a rig in about a month or so.  it'd be nice if you guys could work out the bugs by then.  KTHXBYE!  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:20:57 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2007, 03:13:27 PM

Does Vista actually ship with DirectX10?  I remember hearing it was being delayed a little while back but I never found out if that rumour was true or not.

Yes, it does. Of course, having a working driver that will use it, is another matter....   icon_mad

Lee:

I am using the same board. The problem I was having was my External Hard drive wouldn't work at all on either the USB 1.1 or 2.0 ports on the motherboard. Neither would my Xbox 360 controller for Windows or my Wireless Keyboard/Mouse. Once I was able to find Vista drivers for the Keyboard/Mouse, that worked over the USB port....but the others still didn't work even with updated drivers that were for Vista.

Once I installed the PCI USB 2.0 card, they all worked perfectly. I have no idea what the problem is. Other people reported the same thing, with the USB ports working with some devices, but not others.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »

Oh and I forgot to say that Neverwinter Nights 2 works perfectly as well. No glitches or slowdowns.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »

Hetz are you using Windows update or finding drivers manually?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:59 PM »

Thanks for the impressions on Vista.  The betas that I screwed around with were pretty solid on first install, but I won't get a retail copy until February as well.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 27, 2007, 03:37:50 PM

Hetz are you using Windows update or finding drivers manually?

I had to find the drivers manually. Windows Update found only one thing, which was for some PCI-Express related thing on the nForce board. I found the MS stuff here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/windowsvista/support.mspx

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 03:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 27, 2007, 03:45:59 PM

Thanks for the impressions on Vista.  The betas that I screwed around with were pretty solid on first install, but I won't get a retail copy until February as well.

The OS itself is pretty solid and very slick. I love all the new features.

It's the driver support that is very lacking right now. I would have been screwed if I hadn't had another computer that could access the internet and download Vista drivers for my Network card. I expect many will be SOL after the install Vista....then realise that their internet no longer works and they have no way to get updated drivers because of it!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:17:31 PM by Hetz » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »

There is an article stating essentially the same thing: they like Vista, and the third party driver support really dropped the ball.

We have been running Vista for a few months on a Dell Laptop at work.  From what I've seen, Dell has been putting a lot of effort into making sure their computers are ready for Vista.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 27, 2007, 04:23:44 PM

There is an article stating essentially the same thing: they like Vista, and the third party driver support really dropped the ball.

We have been running Vista for a few months on a Dell Laptop at work.  From what I've seen, Dell has been putting a lot of effort into making sure their computers are ready for Vista.

That article sums up my feelings perfectly. In the end, once you have it all set up, it's just an OS.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »

All I really care about hearing from Hetz, is How does FSX play on VISTA? Since it was made for vista and makes all the high end XP PCs look like crap.
1st What default setting does it give you with vista?
2nd what frame rate are you getting  on low, med, and high settings?
3rd Do the planes look any better?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on January 27, 2007, 05:28:13 PM

All I really care about hearing from Hetz, is How does FSX play on VISTA? Since it was made for vista and makes all the high end XP PCs look like crap.
1st What default setting does it give you with vista?
2nd what frame rate are you getting  on low, med, and high settings?
3rd Do the planes look any better?

Good questions.

I just now installed it. The Direct X 10 patch isn't out for FSX yet though, so I don't know how much better it will look until that patch is out.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »

Hehhe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »

Well, I'll still be getting my free copy of Vista via Dell (recent laptop purchase), but I'll be waiting for a bit longer to install it methinks. The last thing I need is to fight the OS just to get a USB keyboard working or something.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 27, 2007, 05:34:19 PM

Hehhe

icon_lol thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »

Hehhe

I still have yet to see anything about Vista that is garbage. Seems to be fear mongering by the MS haters to me. The DRM thing turned out to be nothing. Gaming is not an issue. The only issue is drivers, and that is the problem every major OS release. Wait a few months and everything will be golden.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »

More gaming notes:

Company of Heroes - looks good and plays fine

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - Plays great for the first 10 minutes or so....then crashes. Probabily a driver issue since it wouldn't run at all until the 100.40 drivers from nVidia (100.30 beta drivers wouldn't run it). Now it runs, but has random crashes.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 27, 2007, 07:25:14 PM

Hehhe

I still have yet to see anything about Vista that is garbage. Seems to be fear mongering by the MS haters to me. The DRM thing turned out to be nothing. Gaming is not an issue. The only issue is drivers, and that is the problem every major OS release. Wait a few months and everything will be golden.

Oh, I was just joking. smile  I liked Vista when I had it installed for the beta.  You've got the key - once those first few patches get out and fix the big stuff it'll be a great OS.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »

I'm excited at the long-term potential of Vista, especially with what Direct X 10 will be capable of. However, like any release of Windows, I'll be waiting 6-12 months before I upgrade.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »

I just had my first BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH in Vista!  nod

Pretty excitng....I was attepting to play Gothic 3 and while it was loading into the world *BAM* *BOOM* *CRASH* Display Driver Error. The O/S then tells me that the driver was able to recover (hah, right) but of course it didn't and whenever I tried to do anything weird graphical errors would appear on my desktop, then go away and that would trigger the whole "Display Driver Error....recover....etc". It kept doing that over and over until I got sick of it and I tried to shut down.....then I was greeted with the momentous first appearance of the BSOD, exactly like I used to get in Win95 all the time!

Hurray for progress!   icon_biggrin

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »

I'm a computer enthusiast in all regards, but Vista isn't really convincing me of ... well ... anything right now.  I don't really see how it is different than XP, other than some eye candy.  It seems like XP 2.0.  Of course, that will change when games require DX 10, but I don't see that happening for at least 6 months.

xbox live: nude rick james
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 27, 2007, 08:39:15 PM

I just had my first BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH in Vista!  nod

Pretty excitng....I was attepting to play Gothic 3 and while it was loading into the world *BAM* *BOOM* *CRASH* Display Driver Error. The O/S then tells me that the driver was able to recover (hah, right) but of course it didn't and whenever I tried to do anything weird graphical errors would appear on my desktop, then go away and that would trigger the whole "Display Driver Error....recover....etc". It kept doing that over and over until I got sick of it and I tried to shut down.....then I was greeted with the momentous first appearance of the BSOD, exactly like I used to get in Win95 all the time!

Hurray for progress!   icon_biggrin

hetz, check out this thread on the Jowood Gothic 3 forums for issues with running Gothic 3 under Vista.

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 04:09:22 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 27, 2007, 02:28:46 PM

Damnit all to hell. It looks like nVidia will release a (beta) Vista driver for the 8800 series of cards on 1/30/07, the official release date of Vista. Ugh....so seeing as how nVidia are being jerks, I'll have to try something else....ok....here we go! Finally! Here is a beta version 100.40 Vista driver for my card! God Bless the developers that leak drivers to the rest of us....ok, installed! Yay! Now it's time to see what this baby can do!

I think it's just the 8800 series that's not yet supported.  All of the nvidia cards I've been using work fine,  but yeah, driver availability for the new driver model is an issue, and some legacy devices will never be supported beyond the in-box drivers that they ship with.  I'm in trouble with my wife for upgrading her older Inspiron to Vista - her DVD watching is impaired substantially with the XDDM display driver popping up garbage during the menus (and the audio driver limiting itself to just the left speaker).

The Upgrade Advisor's pretty good at sussing out whether or not you'll have drivers post-upgrade:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Obligatory: I work for MSFT.  Not on Vista.
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 06:09:32 AM »

Quote from: Clay on January 27, 2007, 08:44:20 PM

I'm a computer enthusiast in all regards, but Vista isn't really convincing me of ... well ... anything right now.  I don't really see how it is different than XP, other than some eye candy.  It seems like XP 2.0.  Of course, that will change when games require DX 10, but I don't see that happening for at least 6 months.

The end-user experience isn't going to seem all that different overall... and that's the whole point.

Technically, Vista is as big a jump over XP as 2000/XP were over Win9x.  Under the hood, they are completely different operating systems, which is why drivers need to be rewritten (not slightly modified, but rewritten).  If you remember back, there wasn't TOO much trouble with driver issues moving between 2000 and XP.  That's because, technically, there wasn't much difference.

I don't expect the upgrade growing pains to be any different than they were between Win3.1 to Win95, or from Win95 to NT/2000/XP.  I'm fairly sure my current computer can make the jump to Vista, but I'm going to wait and get it when I get another PC this year.  I'll probably play with the upgrade on this machine afterward.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:14:54 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »

Ok, with a full day of the new OS under my belt, I have developed a love/hate relationship with it. I LOVE the new O/S. It really feels and acts much differently than XP.....and when programs work, they work beautifuly. I HATE though, the driver issues and some games not working at all (probabily due to the driver issues).

Give it 6 months or so and this O/S will leave XP in the dust. Right now though, it's still a work-in-progress.

unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »

Keep checking if they release new versions of your video driver.

Do they have that Live service going yet?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 28, 2007, 02:45:33 PM

Keep checking if they release new versions of your video driver.

Do they have that Live service going yet?

Nope, not yet.

Another new driver was released (leaked) last night. It seems solid...but Gothic 3 still crashes in the same place. I even tried the whole F8 Tages protection workaround from the Gothic 3 forums and that doesn't work either.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »

and this my friends is why I keep soldiering on with Vista and the 8800 card...

New Direct-X 10 Trailer for Crysis:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/vids_1.html

drool drool drool

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 04:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 28, 2007, 03:22:44 PM

and this my friends is why I keep soldiering on with Vista and the 8800 card...

New Direct-X 10 Trailer for Crysis:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/vids_1.html

drool drool drool

frown
That looks really dumb. Absolutely jaw-dropping and dumb. Why? Why can't they make this a realistic game on beautiful islands?

EDIT: Obviously that's just my opinion....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 05:52:34 PM by Eduardo X » Logged

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 05:01:08 PM »

Is there any website that lists available drivers?  I would really like to check and make sure that there are drivers available for my equipment *before* springing for the program. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 28, 2007, 05:01:08 PM

Is there any website that lists available drivers?  I would really like to check and make sure that there are drivers available for my equipment *before* springing for the program. 

Hmm...not that I know of. You just have to go to each manufacturers website and check if they support it or not.

BTW, the Vista drivers that were given to the press (and will be available on Tuesday direct from nVidia) have been leaked.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85202

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2007, 08:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 28, 2007, 08:25:15 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 28, 2007, 05:01:08 PM

Hmm...not that I know of. You just have to go to each manufacturers website and check if they support it or not.

Again, the Vista Upgrade Advisor will tell you about driver availability.  That won't expose some issues, but you'll know of any trouble areas before an upgrade.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Same here.  Running an AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, an AGP motherboard and a non-DX10 card, it doesn't make much sense to try to upgrade.  In 6 months, for around $1000, I should be able to buy a decent new gaming rig with dual-core processors, a DX10 card and a PCI-E slot (and 2G RAM).

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 29, 2007, 01:17:00 PM

Same here.  Running an AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, an AGP motherboard and a non-DX10 card, it doesn't make much sense to try to upgrade.  In 6 months, for around $1000, I should be able to buy a decent new gaming rig with dual-core processors, a DX10 card and a PCI-E slot (and 2G RAM).

ditto that, except I'm currently looking at one for $2500 through ibuypower in the next month or so.  I priced the parts out through New Egg and it would be pretty close to the same price if I bought the parts seperately.  I'm also splurging on a few parts (quad core/SLI capable MB, 1100 watt power supply) so I can actually upgrade this PC unlike the one I bought about 2 years ago.  I figure it will hopefully be enough to avoid doing any major overhauls for the next 3 years.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »

1100 watts?  You gonna heat your house with that or what?!    icon_eek

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2007, 03:33:07 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on January 29, 2007, 01:17:00 PM

As much as I'm looking forward to Vista, I don't think I'll be doing an upgrade.  I will probably be getting a new computer instead.

ditto that, except I'm currently looking at one for $2500 through ibuypower in the next month or so.  I priced the parts out through New Egg and it would be pretty close to the same price if I bought the parts seperately.  I'm also splurging on a few parts (quad core/SLI capable MB, 1100 watt power supply) so I can actually upgrade this PC unlike the one I bought about 2 years ago.  I figure it will hopefully be enough to avoid doing any major overhauls for the next 3 years.
I just bought a new PC through velocity micro. I was ready to buy it through ibuypower, and then I read the reviews for the company.
I'll just say, they don't seem to be a good company.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: