http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:32:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video Card  (Read 1039 times)
Foxmerc
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2004, 05:25:32 AM »

Ok, not related to console, but I figure we have enough tech heads here to help out.

With the Doom 3 release drawing near, I see that my video card is in need of an upgrade. I'm not exactly the authority on the subject, so I wanted to know what everyone thinks. What's the best video card to get at the moment iwht potential to last a pretty long time?

My current one is a Geforce FX 5200. I'm P4 1.8, 512 mb RAM.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »

Acceptable frame rates, image quality, and game experience are personal preferences and vary from person to person. I say that because of what I'm preparing to say.

While you will definitely need a better graphics card for DOOM 3, you may also want to consider a faster processor (say around a 2.6 Ghz P4) and add about 512mb more RAM to your system (if your motherboard supports these upgrades). What you have now is (I think) above the game's minimum reqs. (except for that 5200), but these days those are pretty much wishful thinking for a high end FPS.

If money is no object, get an ATI Radeon X800 or an nVidia Geforce 6800 (if your power supply is rated at 480w or better for the nVidia). If money is a concern (like for most of us), you might want to look at the ATI 9800 XT or the Geforce FX 5900. You might be able to "get away with" a Radeon 9600 XT or a 9800 Pro, or possibly a Geforce 5700,  but I think that would be pushing it. And as I'm sure you know, no card is ever really future proof, and a game like DOOM 3 will probably stress just about any card out there right now.

And http://www.pricewatch.com/ is your friend  :wink:

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 03:53:42 AM »

You may have better luck over at the forums of CG's sister site (or mother site, perhaps) Gone Gold.  [/url]

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: