http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:47:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vice City Help  (Read 1464 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:55:58 PM »

My current mission requires me to fly a helicopter to grap 4 explosives and drop them at 4 locations around a construction site.  I have 7 minutes to do this.  Flying the copter is very frustrating with the keyboard.  I can't even come close to placing all 4 explosives in 7 minutes.  I probably couldn't do it in 10 minutes.  Does anyone know if this mission is required to finish the game?  Is there a cheatcode to increase the time?  Would a gamepad help tremendously instead of the keyboard?
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 03:58:45 PM »

I would say definitely on the gamepad. I found the gamepad to be helpful for all driving and flying in the game.

I don't remember if that is a storyline mission or not sadly. I'm thinking not, but it's been a long while.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 04:17:41 PM »

A gamepad would be easier, but it can be done with mouse and keyboard.  I think it is required to progress further into the game, but I can't remember.  A couple of things that made that mission much easier for me:

The timer doesn't start until you drop the first explosive, so use that to your advantage by killing all of the guards and construction workers with the blades of your chopper.  Also use this time to become familiar with the layout of each level.

Start from the top and work your way down.  This gets the hardest drop out of the way first, leaving the easiest to be done when you have the least amount of time.

Glycerine

justin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 05:21:23 PM »

BTW, anyone have a good gamepad recommendation for the PC?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:33:53 PM »

I like the Logitech PS2 controller clone:

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

Okay, thanks for the tips.  That has been my strategy for the past few tries... kill all the bad guys first, then start on the explosives. By the way, the timer starts once you pickup the first explosive.  My next step is to try my sidewinder gamepad.  Hopefully that will make things much easier.  

The game is awesome except for this one mission.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 06:54:11 PM »

Think I beat that by just ignoring most of the guards and working my way down from the top.  The chopper is pretty quick and can avoid most of their fire. Very frustrating mission though

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 09:43:15 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
By the way, the timer starts once you pickup the first explosive.

Ooops...my bad.  It's been awhile since I played it.  Regardless, it looks like you are on the right track.  smile

Glycerine

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 03:13:47 PM »

Wow, a game controller sure does make a difference in this game.  I used my MS sidewinder and easily won the helicopter mission on the second try.  In fact, I made it with one minute to spare and it was fun.... not frustrating.  Highly recommend using a gamepad for the flying missions.
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 06:55:15 PM »

I'm having the same problem with this mission. But I'm not willing to get a gamepad. It's just ridiculous that they even included this mission. It totally spoils the game for me. I gave up after a dozen tries, and that is a shame because until that point, I enjoyed the game. Stress, endless repetition and time limits are okay for 'real life' but in a game? Puhlease! I really wanted to see what happens beyond that level, but I can't get past it. I can't believe there isn't even a cheat or 'end this mission' cheat for the level. I thought there were cheats for everything. Bad, bad, bad, level design. No game should force you to consider to install another controller device to finish a level. That's insanity.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 08:25:56 PM »

i finished that mission using the mouse and keyboard without too much trouble...it is very possible.  i just ignored the guys for the most part and focused on getting the targets as quickly as possible.  if a guy got too close, i just bumped him with the chopper and didn't have to worry about him anymore.  it did take a few tries, but it's not bad once you get the hang of controlling the helicopter.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 08:50:30 PM »

Quote from: "spatzi"
I'm having the same problem with this mission. But I'm not willing to get a gamepad. It's just ridiculous that they even included this mission. It totally spoils the game for me. I gave up after a dozen tries, and that is a shame because until that point, I enjoyed the game. Stress, endless repetition and time limits are okay for 'real life' but in a game? Puhlease! I really wanted to see what happens beyond that level, but I can't get past it. I can't believe there isn't even a cheat or 'end this mission' cheat for the level. I thought there were cheats for everything. Bad, bad, bad, level design. No game should force you to consider to install another controller device to finish a level. That's insanity.

I know how you feel.  There was no way I could do this mission with a keyboard.  Luckly I had a gamepad that I could plug right in with no hassle.  Else, I would have uninstalled the game.

The city really opens up after that mission.  And the next few missions are easier and different!
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 10:13:15 PM »

I did it with the keyboard using the same strat.  Kill everyone and then work your way from the top to the bottom.  If you know where to go, and no one is shooting at you then you have plenty of time to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: