http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:38:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vay - Sega CD jRPG comes to iPhone for $5  (Read 480 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »

Yesterday I noticed that there was an RPG category in the iphone apps store.  I checked it out and saw a couple dice utilities and then this game called Vay.  After some research, it appears this is a port of the 1994 Sega CD game, self-described as a "cult classic."  Don't know about that, but it looks to be a pretty good port after spending a few minutes with it.  The game has a complete animated intro with cheesy anime voiceover - it claims 10 minutes of animated cutscenes.  Gameplay seems like some blend between Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy.  Very old-school console RPG.  You navigate the overworld map, engage in random battles, and enter towns and talk to people.  Control is decent as you just tap where you want to go.  Battles have an AI feature that let them play out in what looks to be almost fast-forward.  The menus are a bit jarring as they're not skinned at all, so it looks like a normal iphone menu.  But overall, seems like a good port for only $5.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »

played this back in the day and it was a pretty decent game for it's time.  like you said, basically a ff clone for sega.  iirc it had some decent title music. 

hell, that's pretty cool they have sega cd games ported over like that.  if they have either of the lunar games, give them a shot. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »

Sounds like a good one.  I'm in.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »

Holy CRAP that's cool.

I guess Working Designs (they're the ones who translated the Sega CD game way back when) still lives from beyond the grave, eh? Now, they just need to bring the Lunar games over as already stated... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: