http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines Impressions  (Read 18063 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2004, 02:07:56 AM »

Suppose I'm interested in getting started with the pen-and-paper White Wolf books; is this game a good starting point so that I have an idea of what's going on?  I have a pretty good group for tabletop RPGs, and a few of us are interested in the World of Darkness stuff, but none of us really has a frame of reference.

Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2004, 03:23:36 AM »

Sort of along the lines of Clanwolfer's question, I'd like to piggy back and see if anyone knows whether any of the White Wolf Vamp novels are worth reading? I think the backstory and such they have is kickass, but it seems like the books are pretty horrible review wise. I'm not expecting high brow literature, but are they readable?

Loving the game as well. I went Ventrue and also can't wait to try it out again as a Malkavian. It has its fair share of bugs, and does run pretty horrible on my machine, but I'm still loving it. Wish there were more modernized RPG's, nice change of pace.
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2004, 04:29:59 AM »

Just wondering...how does the gameplay mechanic of this game compare to Gothic? I loved both Gothics, and am wondering if this game has a similar feel to it, other than the fact that it is based around vampires. I'm not talking about the controls either; I know a lot of people hated Gothic's controls. I am more just interested in whether I'd like this game and I know how much I loved Gothic, but found Morrowind impressive but sort of dry.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »

My impression of this game -- it's analogous to the WHACK of a baseball hit hard, looks like it's going to be a home run, then the left fielder jumps right up the wall and YOU OUT.  It stinks.

I am trying to be objective.  I REALLY love the game design and dialogue, character choices.  I finished the Nihilistic game way back when and loved it. However, I cannot continue in this game because of a bug.  I am stuck in the haunted house and cannot pick up a key needed.  There is no obvious way for me to increase my skill to defeat the lock.  I am stuck.  It's probably just a small thing, but regardless, I'm stuck.

There are no support forums anywhere.  What kind of an impression does that make?

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Suicidal Computer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2004, 09:31:12 AM »

I'm pretty torn on this game.

On the one hand, it's amazing. It's incredibly atmospheric. It has some excellent dialogue coupled with decent to good voice acting. The "quests" are varied and interesting and I actually enjoy the combat.

But then there's all of those minor little bigs that keep popping up. Like NPC's speech getting caught in a sound loop for a few seconds, text distortion, horrible performance in some areas, and so on. They're all small things so far, but they add up.

My friend who purchased the game can't even run it for some bizarre reason. And even stranger, there are no offical forums for the game, so it's difficult to even find help outside of the rather shoddy Activision support. And there seems to be some number of people who are experiencing a game stopping bug later on in the game.

I guess it's lived up to the Troika legacy. Great story and it has great character, but it's dragged down by its bugs. Even so, the game is so involving that I've been able to look past its flaws and enjoy it.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Suppose I'm interested in getting started with the pen-and-paper White Wolf books; is this game a good starting point so that I have an idea of what's going on?  I have a pretty good group for tabletop RPGs, and a few of us are interested in the World of Darkness stuff, but none of us really has a frame of reference.

The game will give you a good feel for the general background.  They captured the setting well and so far have done a good job of covering the politics and the reality of the WoD.

As for my impressions...  I've played a good few hours now and so far it's, like pretty much everyone has said, a really great game hidden behind a some jarring bugs.

As far as the RPG elements go... the game is amazing.  They really have done some impressive stuff that I haven't seen in any RPGs, plus they did a lot of work to make the WoD setting feel right.

For instance, feeding in an interesting and important part of the game.  You have to go out and find someone to get blood from, but of course if you kill an inncocent you lose humanity, and if you're seen doing it you will break the masquerade.  So you have to find willing people or just wait for people to wander into an alley and then... :twisted:

But even more, you will get more blood from well fed blue bloods than from bums and hookers.  Plus, if you play a Ventrue you cannot lower yourself to draining rats, and you have a 50-50 chance of vomiting up what you drink from lower class citizens.  It's a lot of detail that really adds some interesting strategy and depth to the game.

Combat is a little odd, but I can slowly feel myself getting used to how it flows.  I'm pretty sure I won't even notice it much after a while longer.  Plus enough of the HL2 physics is in the game that you can really get a taste of your vampires super strength.  In melee when you swing at guys you can knock them and throw them all around... very fun. smile

They also did a good job so far of blending all the different play styles.  Action, stealth, diplomacy, hacking.  I can see numerous ways to get around many of the puzzles.

I got up to the hotel part last night with my Ventrue, but decided to finally go to bed at about 2 since 1 am is my cutoff for being scared $hitless by wraiths. Tongue

Overall I'd say if you're on the fence and have any interest in the setting, go for it.  You will need a little tolerance for bugs, but honestly most of the ones I have seen have been small, but it seems like there are some worse ones out there from the sound of it.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2004, 03:16:35 PM »

For instance, feeding in an interesting and important part of the game. You have to go out and find someone to get blood from, but of course if you kill an inncocent you lose humanity, and if you're seen doing it you will break the masquerade. So you have to find willing people or just wait for people to wander into an alley and then...

I'd be interested to know how many hookers, or as I like to call them "Meals on Heels" I've fed from.  I must look like a pimp with the time I spend with the ladies of the evening....

As for the game itself, I really think its a great RPG, as long as you approach it as such.  It isn't HL2, despite the engine.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2004, 04:15:24 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"

This is an interesting time to get involved with the Vampire RPG.  They just recently concluded their metaplot storyline (with the apocolypse), and "started over".   Vampire: Bloodlines is based on the previous setting (and the game Vampire: The Masquerade).  As of August of this year, it's been replaced by Vampire: The Reqiuem.  Improved mechanics, completely revised storyline/background.  For example, Tremere don't exist anymore.  smile  Very nice revision of the game, IMHO.

Forgot to add:  Vampire isn't a standalone RPG anymore.  They have the core setting/rules in the "World of Darkness" rulebook.  Vampire: The Requiem is a (very large) source/add-on book for WoD.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2004, 04:17:40 PM »

I had planned on only playing for an hour last night, but before I knew it 3 1/2 hours had gone by in the blink of an eye.  I was well beyond my window for any amount of decent sleep before work.  It takes a great game for me to completely lose track of time like that.  The last time I’ve pulled almost an all nighter on a work night was with Rome:TW.

I played a malkavian last night, and for anyone who hasn’t had the chance to experience the unique dialogue, it’s phenomenal.  You can tell that their writers put in a lot of work developing the very clever malkavian dialogue options.  It also adds another layer of challenge to the game because not only do you have to discern what your dialogue options actually mean, you have to help the people you speak with understand wtf you’re trying to tell them.  I’ve experimented with half of the clans up though the first couple of quests in Santa Monica, and none of them have anywhere near the interesting dialogue of the malkavians.  I can’t stress how clever the writing is for them, especially all of the terms they use for everyday objects and people.  The dialogue options range from hilariously clever to cryptically sarcastic, incredibly insightful to intellectually evil.  At some point in time, I’d definitely recommend giving a malkavian character a try.  

“I cast my shadow in other locations…I am no longer here.”
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2004, 04:37:08 AM »

I wanna know why the Malkavian chick has "bounce", and none of the other female clan members do!

Is it because she "crazy hot" ?

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2004, 06:01:24 AM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"
I wanna know why the Malkavian chick has "bounce", and none of the other female clan members do!

Is it because she "crazy hot" ?

i noticed that too. i had to examine it for about half an hour. crazy hot is right. slywink
e1123
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2004, 07:40:49 PM »

I've been having a great time with this game and I wasn't planning on buying it until the forum effect struck. No problems with bugs, I did kill the advanced sound options. I'm running at 1280 x 1024 and I haven't seen any slowdown (except for when NAV turned itself on).

I personally don't see anything wrong with the combat. My toreador chick always puts a bullet within a couple feet of where I aim. That seems pretty good for someone who has never fired a gun before.

Plus you can go out on the dance floor and shake that money maker.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2004, 08:57:01 PM »

This is one creepy game!  I thought the game couldn’t get any creepier after the Hotel in Santa Monica…I was wrong.  I have to give an A+ for the under-your-skin freakiness factor.  

Don’t read anything after this sentence if you don’t want to be spoiled by several location and mission names plus some additional spoilers (up through some of the missions in downtown):

[SPOILER WARNING!!!!!]

The two faced sisters (Santa Montica):  I saw this one coming, but it was still very cool and high on the creepiness factor when they started “talking with each other”

Haunted Hotel (SM):  creepy!  I haven’t jumped that much since the Undying and System Shock2.

9th Circle “Plaguebearer HQs” (downtown):  straight out of dawn of the dead meets 28 days later meets 9 monkeys. ..creepy!

2nd Plaguebearer in the sewers (downtown):  freaky.

Find the primogen (sp?) Malkavian (Hollywood hills):  holy crap…house of dementia + insane asylum + malkavians + fetish masks = major creep factor.  

I haven’t exactly felt like a badass vampire jumping out of my pants on ¾ of the missions I’ve done lol.  Excellent writing.  And yay, I have a nerdy hottie as a ghoul (make her change outfits :twisted: ).
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2004, 03:35:33 AM »

You know, Troika gets a lot of bashing for the bugginess of their games, but I really loved Arcanum, and I never had any problems with it.  I couldn't stop playing the game, it had an incredibly cool setting (go steampunk!!!!), and a humongous amount of play in it.

Bloodlines has completely exceeded my expectations.  I am unable and unwilling to stop playing it.  I think when I finally do finish it, I will immediately start over with a combat oriented vampire and burn through it again!

When I first got into a combat, after having read the fish slapping comments earlier in this thread, I could see it that way, but now, after having improved my combat abilities and getting some different weapons, the fish slapping has turned into cool vampire combat.  I love smacking humans around, and my character isn't even combat oriented (I took the personality test and wound up with a Tremere initially).  I just love how they go flying!  Makes me feel like a badass.

I had some troubles with my character until I realized I was trying to do things with him that didn't work well with his clan.  Once I powered up his special abilities, all those troubles vanished, and he became cool to play again.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2004, 07:30:24 AM »

Is this game Silent Hill scary?

Or Doom3-it's-so-dark-I-am-so-afraid-to-play scary?

Or just something like Thief's zombie level which are scary but because you are a Thief (Vampire), you don't feel scared at all.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2004, 07:51:22 AM »

Quote from: "belfong"
Or Doom3-it's-so-dark-I-am-so-afraid-to-play scary?
The only scary thing about Doom 3 was the fact I spent $50 on the poorly designed, pitch-black piece of shit.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2004, 08:53:16 AM »

ROTFL! HA HA HA..

Now, will you please answer my q? I am a wuss and if it's too scary, I'll pass.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2004, 09:17:11 AM »

Yes, it's Silent Hill scary. Much of the game is spent in really creepy/frightening situations.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2004, 09:27:24 AM »

:cry:
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2004, 01:59:07 PM »

Belfong, it isn't THAT scary.  I mean, sure, the oceanside hotel was spooky. I was feeling all "Right, ghosties scare me, I'm a big bad vampire.  Ooooo.... Lights flickering.  Is that the best you scary old ghosts can do?"

At the end, I just wanted to get out of there with my hide. So, yeah, the hotel is scary.  But it builds up to it, and it isn't that long.  

But most of the places I've been haven't been "scary".  Creepy, sure.  Occasionally gory.  But not all that SCARY.  Not like System Shock 2, which I was tense all the time throughout.  Remember the big difference between this and most of those scary games, in this, you are a vampire.  Which means most of the time YOU are the scariest badass monster in the room!

So, if you like the Vampire: The Masquerade setting, and you like big rpgs with lots of stuff to do, then don't let a few spooky places keep you from playing the game.  It IS just a game.  The things in it aren't going to jump throught the monitor and get you.  I don't think...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2004, 02:05:39 PM »

Roguetad actually you don't have to press cancel to change your clan, up at the top of the Character creation screen when in Stats area there are two tabs, one tab you in currently, click on the other tab and you are back at  the clan and sex choosing screen. So you can easily flip back and forth between the two, seeing what skills go with what clan choice.

Change is in the wind...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2004, 02:18:59 PM »

belfong, if it's any consolation, I'm a wuss with games like the Undying and System Shock2, they freaked the hell out of me (at least the very beginning of the Undying did).  Bloodlines manages to do something I didn't think possible playing as a badass vampire, and that's make me feel like I'm the lead character in a horror movie!  But those moments are limited, and definitely don't represent the rest or even the majority of the game.  Both the recent dawn of the dead movie and 28 days later freaked me out, and there's a mission very similar to both of those movies.  I was seriously having to stop so I could wipe the sweat off my mouse lol.  Hey but that's me!  Plus I play in the dark with my wife downstairs, so I contribute completely to increasing the freakiness factor.  It was more creepy than scary though, for what that's worth.    

Not all the quests or missions are creepy though.  I've had several where I did feel like a true badass vamp, kicking the crap out of everything that stood in my path.  There is a funny zombie killing mission in Hollywood, but it's meant to be funny in a tatrantino dusk tell dawn way (and near impossible if you don't have celerity or an aoe attack).

I won't kid you though, it's rated M for a good reason, the violence and disturbing situations are...disturbing.  Bloodlines is definitely NOT a game to get for a youngster, unless you're in to scarring your kids psyche.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2004, 02:27:46 PM »

Quote from: "Fafhrd"
Roguetad actually you don't have to press cancel to change your clan, up at the top of the Character creation screen when in Stats area there are two tabs, one tab you in currently, click on the other tab and you are back at  the clan and sex choosing screen. So you can easily flip back and forth between the two, seeing what skills go with what clan choice.

Great tip, don't know how I missed that.  Man do I feel like a knucklehead canceling out and going back to the start menu each time   smile
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2004, 12:41:49 AM »

Thanks Roguetad and Doomboy. I am ok with grotesque and gore scenes. That I can stomach. What I can't stomach is the tension waiting for things to happen (much like System Shock 2, Doom 3 and Shalebridge level in Thief 3).

Now that I read that it only happens in a few scenes, I think I will go and grab this game. I will NEVER ever pass a good RPG (they are RARE!). I guess if I can stomach System Shock 2, I should be able to handle Vampire.. like one of you said, I am supposed to be the bad ass horror here!

Thanks guys!!!  :lol:
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2004, 02:20:39 AM »

If you made it through System Shock2, you'll be fine with Bloodlines.  I did the haunted hotel quest again earlier today with another character, and I was done with the quest in less than 15 minutes.  The tension was definitely there, but it's not like in SS2 where it's there for the whole game...non stop.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

Quote from: "belfong"
Thanks Roguetad and Doomboy. I am ok with grotesque and gore scenes. That I can stomach. What I can't stomach is the tension waiting for things to happen (much like System Shock 2, Doom 3 and Shalebridge level in Thief 3).

Now that I read that it only happens in a few scenes, I think I will go and grab this game. I will NEVER ever pass a good RPG (they are RARE!). I guess if I can stomach System Shock 2, I should be able to handle Vampire.. like one of you said, I am supposed to be the bad ass horror here!

Thanks guys!!!  :lol:

Buy it. It's the best RPG in the last 2 years, and at the moment it's my GOTY, beating HL2 and Thief 3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2004, 01:58:55 PM »

So far I'm becoming frustrated that there seem to be a lot of combats (mainly boss monsters) that can only be taken care of through combat.  I'm playing a Toreador who specialises in charisma so I would prefer non combat solutions in most situations.  While there are usually multiple ways to get through a level they seem to invariably culminate in a boss fight which my character isn't well suited.  Mad button mashing and right clicking follows.  I've been able to get through the battles so far but I'm concerned that won't be the case as I progress.

Am I missing something here?
Mr. Sparkle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2004, 04:29:48 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Am I missing something here?

No.  The game designers purposefully put bottlenecks that can only be solved with fist/fangs/guns.  

I guess they felt that you wouldn't feel challenged if you could silver tongue your way out of boss fights.

Personally, I think they may have skewed the game a little too strongly towards stealthy lockpicker/hackers.  You don't really have to work very hard when you know all the answers are going to be on a computer in a room that you don't need the key for.

And rooms full of enemies aren't much of a concern, since you know they can't see you... so you just skulk around and take them down one by one.

Though I have to admit that a stealth kill with the katana is very satisfying.

I should probably roll up a Gangrel, and see how differently the game plays.
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2004, 04:30:17 PM »

No, you're right..you end up having to fight the bosses pretty much every time.

I finally just gave in and pumped a few points into my Ventrue's combat abilities, plus there's some books that'll up your combat skills also lying around.

It sucks, but then again I kinda expected it as every other frigging RPG does the same thing. Some day maybe....
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2004, 04:34:06 PM »

Trioka has quite a history of unbalanced games, but in their defense this Vampire is much better in the balance department than Arcanum.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt however since what they are trying to do is pretty darn impressive.

I think the replay value of the game will be pretty high.  Almost since I've started I've been wondering how a different clan would play through some of the different areas.  I'm about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way through the game as a Ventrue and I think I may play through again next as a Nosferatu.  I was never too interested in them, but after seeing the game I think it'd be an interesting switch to have to sneak around the whole game.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
I think I may play through again next as a Nosferatu.  I was never too interested in them, but after seeing the game I think it'd be an interesting switch to have to sneak around the whole game.

I thought about this for awhile but ultimately I couldn't do it -becuse (1) of the loads for going in the sewers.  As a Nosferatu you would constantly be seeing the silly load screens.  (2) sneaking is so slow.  You know you want to walk down the street, but it takes twice as long as it would a normal chracter because sneaking is slowwwww.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2004, 05:06:16 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I thought about this for awhile but ultimately I couldn't do it -becuse (1) of the loads for going in the sewers.  As a Nosferatu you would constantly be seeing the silly load screens.  (2) sneaking is so slow.  You know you want to walk down the street, but it takes twice as long as it would a normal chracter because sneaking is slowwwww.

Hmm I haven't noticed any slowdown loading the sewers, but I guess I wasn't really paying attention.

They get obfuscate which (at higher levels) allows them to even run and talk and still be invisible.  I was thinking of focusing on that to make moving around tolerable with some points in hacking and security for flavor..  Seems like I was constantly sneaking with my Ventrue anyway to keep my gun crosshairs small or to actually sneak around.

I'll give it a shot at any rate and see how it goes.  Not even sure I'll have the time to do it since WoW is but one day away. smile

s

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2004, 05:07:38 PM »

Quote from: "Mr. Sparkle"

No.  The game designers purposefully put bottlenecks that can only be solved with fist/fangs/guns.  

I guess they felt that you wouldn't feel challenged if you could silver tongue your way out of boss fights.

Its frustrating though because if I'm going to pump up my combat stats enough to be able to beat bosses then I'm powerful enough for most combat situations and it takes points away from the other skills I want to build.  I guess I'll just try and maximize the Ranged ability and hope that's enough.
Mr. Sparkle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »

I'm about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way through the game as a Ventrue and I think I may play through again next as a Nosferatu.  I was never too interested in them, but after seeing the game I think it'd be an interesting switch to have to sneak around the whole game.

I'm probably about as far as you are, and have been playing a Nosferatu the entire time.

I'm loving it, but I imagine sneaking around all the time might feel a little tedious if you're used to running every place.  I've spent about 95% of the many many hours I've sunk into this game in crouch mode.  It feels wierd, but strangely liberatring, to actually run...  like you're getting away with something naughty.  slywink

However, it doesn't take many points in stealth before the plebes can't see you unless you bump into them...  so it's really only in Sana Monica that you're actually nervous about walking under a street light or whatever...  it would have been more challenging if they ramped up the citizens alertness as you progressed through the Hubs, but alas no.

But it's worth playing one simply for the reaction you get from NPCs...  I like scaring the ladies at the clubs...  your dialogue options after they flip out at your grotesqueness can be pretty choice.

My fave was something to the effect of: "Oh please, I've scared chicks WAAAY hotter than you."
Mr. Sparkle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2004, 05:12:10 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Mr. Sparkle"

Its frustrating though because if I'm going to pump up my combat stats enough to be able to beat bosses then I'm powerful enough for most combat situations and it takes points away from the other skills I want to build.  I guess I'll just try and maximize the Ranged ability and hope that's enough.

Firearms is probably enough...  that automatic shotgun is pretty boss, and you can get it pretty early if you play your cards right.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2004, 05:17:26 PM »

I agree about the firearms.  I've played through pretty balanced between melee and firearms, and increasingly I've found the firearms powerful.  Sometimes you have to unload a whole clip to do any damage, but doing that isn't a big deal.

I think melee is pretty strong though.  I just got a katana recently and I'm finally starting to feel a little more like a badass... after those things in the sewers made me huddle in a corner crying, I need everything I can get. Tongue

Thanks for the thoughts on the Nosferatu Mr. Sparkle.  If I think I can handle the constant sneaking I'll give it a shot.  How is the obfuscate line anyway?  Is it useful enough to make the masquarade in the later game easier?

s

Mr. Sparkle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2004, 05:33:55 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts on the Nosferatu Mr. Sparkle.  If I think I can handle the constant sneaking I'll give it a shot.  How is the obfuscate line anyway?  Is it useful enough to make the masquarade in the later game easier?

Obfuscate rocks, but you'll probably only use it in boss fights, since it costs blood (only 1 though, I think)...  I wouldn't waste it moving around the city, but YMMV.  It only lasts for 25 or so seconds...  though the timer stops when you "lurk" (ie don't move).

Most bosses can see through sneak, but few (if any) can see you if you're obfuscated...  and a attacking from obfuscate does double or triple (at level 5) damage...  I think this is in addition to whatever bonus you get for hitting them from behind, but I'm not sure on that.

The catch is that you can't turn it on when they can see you, so it's best used when you can get a wall or pile of boxes between you and the boss....

Obfuscate+Potence+Katana is pretty nasty...  though I can't compare it to the other combat clans, since I haven't put enough time into any of them.

I've put 0 points into Animalism though...  it sounds kinda cool to send spectral wolves at people, but not enough XP to go around...  c'est la vie.

Oh, and rats are your friends...  well friends whose blood you suck...  they give 3 blood to Nossies, don't run away from you, and are all over the frickin' place.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2004, 05:43:11 PM »

I highly recommend that everyone try the game as a Malkavian.  All of your dialogue choices are uniquely insane and extremely well written and funny. There are also other changes in the game to reflect your insanity-voices whispering in your head, the TV news anchorman talking directly to you.  This  is a clan that someone put a lot of work into and they're a lot of fun to play smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2004, 08:26:04 PM »

I cant speak for this game past downtown, but up to that point I would say this game seems just as unbalanced as Arcanum.  Protean/Unarmed/Fortitude Gangrel=god mode.  Try it yourself.  Compare it to what you can do with Ranged weapons, its no contest.  Or melee, again no contest.  Fists/Claws are way too powerful.

So, I benched the Gangrel and brought out a Torreador.  The game is more challenging to be sure and even though I wanted to go guns, I find myself beating people to death because fists are just so much more effective than the .38 and shotgun I have access to thus far.  A shotgun up close does pack a mean punch, but the slow refire and limited ammo capacity make fists a better choice in most cases.

olaf
Mr. Sparkle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2004, 08:38:57 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"

So, I benched the Gangrel and brought out a Torreador.  The game is more challenging to be sure and even though I wanted to go guns, I find myself beating people to death because fists are just so much more effective than the .38 and shotgun I have access to thus far.  A shotgun up close does pack a mean punch, but the slow refire and limited ammo capacity make fists a better choice in most cases.

Weapons don't really get interesting until Hollywood and Chinatown.   Then you actually have some choices to make.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER

I recommend going back to visit Mercurio and see what he's offering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: