http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:38:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Hands-On Preview  (Read 7068 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:09:05 PM »

Its up on the front page!  Ask me your questions! I'm ready...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 04:24:47 PM »

Something I wondered about after reading your preview.

Can you be good?  Or at least good for a vampire?  I mean no unnessecary killing of humans, only kill evil vamires etc.?

As I recall in the first game you were a good knight who was turned and had a difficult time adjusting to the more....morally flexible stance of being a vampire.

Basically I don't like being evil in games.  Call it a Mary Poppins weakness but I just can't kill innocents, etc.  

So can I be an honorable vampire?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:27:46 PM »

40 - 80 hrs of gameplay?   :shock:

How were the combat animations?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:32:44 PM »

Can you be good? Or at least good for a vampire? I mean no unnessecary killing of humans, only kill evil vamires etc.?
Yes!  And if you intend on controlling your frenzy you will need to be careful of that.  If you feed a human to death you lose a point of humanity making it easier for you to frenzy.  Outside of that, you can also seduce humans or just in general be nice to them.  If you have ever played an RPG like Baldur's Gate or Arcanum you'll get the idea, there are a ton of options, often with a neutral, good, evil, and a few special options if your skills are set up correctly.  The fun begins if you are Malkavian as your chat options are....um...nuts.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:34:17 PM »

40 - 80 hrs of gameplay?

Yea, and that is for the QA team that already knew what to do and where to go!  I'm wired....

How were the combat animations?
Very well handled.  The ragdoll physics are very much alive here as I clawed a bouncer through a plate-glass window.   Its very well done.  The FACIAL animations however are beyond compare...wow.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:41:15 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Its up on the front page!  Ask me your questions! I'm ready...

Did you really get a feeling that the choices you made had a long term impact on later events?  Or were most of the choices only in the short term with the story basically on a rail?

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: World of Warcraft | Xbox360: Rock Band 3, Lips, Dance Central
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 04:43:01 PM »

Le date de release?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »

Did you really get a feeling that the choices you made had a long term impact on later events? Or were most of the choices only in the short term with the story basically on a rail?

Ahhh, one of my big concerns.  Yes.  Stuff you do has a short, medium and long term effect.  It might not always be immediately apparent but there are always machinations in the background.  Sometimes you'll see it manifest in more choices, new contacts, or new quests.  Sometimes it'll determine who helps you later or looks to hurt you later.  That kinda thing

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 04:49:52 PM »

Le date de release?

Official date is going to be announced 'soon' but the game is absolutely going to hit in November.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 04:51:24 PM »

Ron, would you say that based on your play this is the kind of game you would run out and get day 1?
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 04:59:15 PM »

Great writeup, and I look forward to plenty more of the OH MY GOD WHAT ARE THOSE BIG BROWN THINGS IN THE THIRD PICTURE???... sorry, I just snapped.

Uh... great writeup, I'm really looking forward to this one now.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 05:02:40 PM »

I am excited for this game, but Troika has delivered other fairly bug-ridden games in the past (although they do patch them, halfway), so I won't be getting this one on release day.

I'm sure to get it after the initial impressions, though, from those of you who lack my self-control. slywink  There is just too much "cool" factor in a game of this type, the RPG universe centered around Vampires is a great idea.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 05:11:22 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
I am excited for this game, but Troika has delivered other fairly bug-ridden games in the past (although they do patch them, halfway), so I won't be getting this one on release day.
That's less of Troika's fault and more of their publishers' problem.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 05:13:05 PM »

Excellent.  I just put in my preorder on gogamer.com for 39.99 .  Can't wait.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: World of Warcraft | Xbox360: Rock Band 3, Lips, Dance Central
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 05:23:26 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Yet even with multiple patches Troika has seemed completely unable to "fix" enough of the problems in their games to validate the assumption that this is the publishers problem.

Arcanum was kept off shelves for...3 months after it went gold? I know this since I had a final review build a week or so after it went gold. IN those three months Troika did NOTHING to create a patch for release to address massive, glaring bugs and gameplay issues.

I think they are an enormously talented company and will likely buy this game ASAP, but I dont think that changes the fact their past record is as much their responsibility as any publishers.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 06:37:07 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Ron, would you say that based on your play this is the kind of game you would run out and get day 1?

I am going to guess even before he played the game he was going to purchase it on Day 1.  Ron has honestly been talking about this game for a long time, salivating at the chance to see it in action.  He is also the same way with Call to Cthulu.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 06:45:50 PM »

Loren is dead on on this.  This is a must have day 1 purchase for me.  This trip only solidified that.  

As for Troika and the bugs, I talked with them at great length about this and they assure me that they have taken great lengths to make sure that did not happen here.  The delay after delay of Half Life 2 also gave them extra time to provide extra polish.  The removal of multiplayer also allows them to reign in the scope and focus a bit.

I can't say what happened with Arcanum, but publishers DO have to pay for those patches, so might have been one of those 'you'll pay or we aren't coding it' kinda scenarios?  I dunno....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 07:11:19 PM »

Thnx for the write up Ron.  Fun read. really makes me salivate for this game. I wish I trusted Troika more. They've been very disappointing in the past.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 07:25:48 PM »

Great writeup. Bloodlines was already on my list of games to get "someday" but the preview has me thinking of buying earlier. I normally don't buy games the first couple of weeks after release but I may make an exception for this one.

I didn't read after the spoiler warning. Did you encounter any bugs or issues you thought might be bugs?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 07:37:38 PM »

Yet even with multiple patches Troika has seemed completely unable to "fix" enough of the problems in their games to validate the assumption that this is the publishers problem.

Arcanum was kept off shelves for...3 months after it went gold? I know this since I had a final review build a week or so after it went gold. IN those three months Troika did NOTHING to create a patch for release to address massive, glaring bugs and gameplay issues.

I think they are an enormously talented company and will likely buy this game ASAP, but I dont think that changes the fact their past record is as much their responsibility as any publishers.
Again, patching is not the developer's little red wagon--it's the publisher's.  Developers do not work for free, even after their game is released.  If the publisher won't pay for a patch, it doesn't get made.

Atari rushed ToEE out the door and then refused to give Troika the money to patch it (and also spent a LONG time in QA with the patch).  Sierra just didn't give a rip once Arcanum was out the door.

Sure, I guess Troika could have written "better" patches or coded with less errors, but these things take labor hours, and rest assured, Troika wasn't going to work if it wasn't getting paid.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 08:09:48 PM »

I didn't read after the spoiler warning. Did you encounter any bugs or issues you thought might be bugs?
I ran into one graphical glitch with two guys playing cards where the card seemed to get stuck a few inches off the table.  Its really all I saw...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 08:19:57 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

I am going to guess even before he played the game he was going to purchase it on Day 1.  Ron has honestly been talking about this game for a long time, salivating at the chance to see it in action.  He is also the same way with Call to Cthulu.

Cool, I'm looking forward to this one and I am also an absolute drooling fiend over the upcoming Call of Cthulhu game.

Soon, very soon, the stars will be right...

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 08:35:29 PM »

Honestly, with HL2 being delayed for over a year, if Troika can't get THIS game out stable, they never will.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 08:50:37 PM »

Actually I think Troika's games are buggy because of their insane scope.  I like this -- shows that they are dreaming.  They are more likely to put a cool new feature or idea into a game, because they think it would be interesting.

Naturally, larger scope makes for more bugs (ask any programmer).  I'm willing to accept a few bugs in my games, aren't we all?  But they tend to have a disproportionate number of launch bugs, and their patches do very little from past experience.  Whose fault this is doesn't matter much to me, I'm going to be careful nonetheless.  And, I wish more developers would go out on a limb and try interesting (but possibly buggy) stuff instead of staying with the "tried and true" because it's safer and simpler.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 09:14:34 PM »

What is this large scope you refer to? Arcanum was a simple RPG set in a steampunk world and ToEE was a normal rpg set in mostly 1 temple. They were just unexcusably buggy.

Buggy and large scope would be better exampled in a game like Daggerfall and Morrowind. Those were buggy and pissed me off sometimes but they were the large scope games you speak of and can be forgiven more easily.

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 09:41:30 PM »

Large scope does not necessarily mean a large world.  Arcanum had a dizzying array of possible character builds, and possible interactions within the game towards NPCs was huge because of the many different combinations of characters and dialogue.  It was unmanageably big.  Imagine trying to code a specific quest for the game, with exceptions just in the dialogue for every possible type of race, alignment, class, etc. -- let alone actual plot variations and different quest outcomes based on the same thing.  It's easy to see why the game broke down in that regard pretty quickly, and was buggy.

Morrowind has a huge variety of characters, too, but there are a relatively few skills that ALL characters possess, so the game becomes much simpler to code and design in terms of simplicity.  It doesn't matter what race you are, almost every quest plays out exactly the same in terms of dialogue and so forth based only on a relatively few skills.   I'm not knocking Morrowind -- I think it's brilliant that the simplicity of design does not equate to a simplicity in gameplay.  And, the world of Morrowind is of course unequaled in my mind.

I have not played Temple of Elemental Evil so am not qualified to comment on it.

Since I don't want to get too sidetracked in this thread, I'd guess that Troika is going to face a lot of the same issues in this game that they did in the past with Arcanum, mainly because they are shooting for a large amount of quests, with varying outcomes based on what type of vampire you create.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »

Nice preview Ron.  Thanks for taking one for the team and flying out to get the inside scoop Tongue

I already have this preordered, can't wait.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 06:04:48 AM »

Great preview, KD.  I am really looking forward to this.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 01:49:29 PM »

Thanks for the preview.  I am looking forward to this game.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 02:20:26 PM »

It'll be a good thing, if this is what gets Troika some goodness their way. Those guys deserve it.

...and fingers crossed there're no huge amounts of bugs in it come release day. I'm still feeling the burn from the previous titles.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 04:16:23 AM »

I just had to go and read that preview.

Now I want this game.

You suck Ron :wink:

How does this work again?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 05:59:14 AM »

There was no mention of modding, will Troika support modding for Bloodlines?

I Bloodlines becoming as rich as Morrowind in the mod scene, if they support it.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 07:01:35 AM »

I really want to love this game.  It sounds great.  But Troika leaves a very bad taste in my mouth these days.  The TToEE debacle was just sad and very discouraging to me personally, as a huge fan of Turn Based PC RPGs.  It had SOOO much potential to be the next Pool of Radiance and the start of something akin to the gold box games.

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Agree with you 100%.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.  Isnt it odd that Troika has had similar problems with two games, from two different publishers?  And Arcanum was gold 5+ months before hitting retail.  FIVE MONTHS and they couldnt get a patch out?  lol come on.  TToEE?  Go to the Atari forum and look at the documented buglist, after two patches its still at 500 plus last time I checked.  Christ the FANS have shown more love to that game in terms of bug fixes/effort than either Atari or Troika.  It blows my mind the lengths some people will go to defend one developer and pan another.  RPG Codex, I'm looking at you.

As far as them not wanting to work for free...well duh.  But how come lightning struck twice for them?  Dont you think some kind of post release support is SOP for publisher/developer contracts?  Every game gets a patch these days.  And RPGs have always needed them.  I cant imagine Troika and any publisher having a good faith negotiations for contract that did NOT include some mention of patch support.  So unless you are privy to the fine print between Troika, Sierra and Atari/Infogrames, absolving them of wrongdoing and laying the blame completely on the publisher is silly.  Finally, the extent of the bugs present in TToEE was an embarrassment to anyone involved in the product.  The lack of effort demonstrated to get that title into respectable shape was APPALLING.

olaf
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 11:19:05 PM »

That was a great read. thumbsup

What kind of PC would a person need to play this?
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »

Thanks for the lowdown. It was a very helpful read.

How fast twitch is it? I suck at FPS.

When the npcs speak, is it voice only or is there readable text?

Is there a dvd version available?

Is there a heavy emphasis on puzzles?

Is there an auto map system, or waypoints?

BTW, RPGdot mentioned you.

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#33525
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 12:19:56 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
What kind of PC would a person need to play this?

I can only guess the same kind you need to run HL2...and I'm not sure on the minimums (since that's the next question you'll probably ask). biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 01:29:58 AM »

Source is a relatively flexible engine if CS:Source is any indication... chances are you'll need a powerful, but not godly, PC to run Bloodlines.

And olaf, your response is pretty naive.  Lightning struck twice in the sense that both publishers Troika got with are lightning rods--Sierra has been dead in the water for awhile now, and Atari's been a bunch of smacktards for as long as they've existed, which includes their time as the nefarious Infogrames.

I do agree that Troika's first two games were bug-prone, as they were both extremely ambitious.  That being said, I do recall talk from Troika about Atari failing to give Troika any more time to work on ToEE (if you say post release support is SOP, you must realize that extensions are SOP too--unfortunately, Atari didn't give a rat's ass and threw ToEE out the door), and Arcanum's issues, for the most part, could have been fixed with patches if Sierra had put forth the money/time/effort.

No, the blame isn't solely on the publishers, but a solid 75-85% of it is.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004, 02:11:40 AM »

Im giving Troika this 3rd and last chance to prove they can make a great game. Arcanum came close and ToEE was horrible. Maybe third times the charm for them. If not Ill lump them into the crap pile with THQ,Domark, Sierra, and a couple others that were such crappy companies I cant even remember thier names now. I gave Bethesda the 3 times before you're out chance and was pleasantly surprised when they released Morrowind. Arena was good but buggy, Daggerfall just did'nt click at all and was buggy , then MW came out I loved it and it was not buggy at all for me. Im glad I did'nt try Redguard or Battlespire though..from what I heard on them Bethesda woulda struck out smile

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2004, 03:15:49 AM »

I'm with you there, Daehawk. If they still haven't learned their lessons in fixing their game to a relatively stable release (especially with the amount of time they've had), that'll be the end of that.

That said, I really am hoping that they'll get it right, and finally are able to get a good release out there (since they clearly have the talent).

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 03:24:59 AM »

I just pre-ordered this game from BB.  The preview definetly has me even more excited about the game.

I played Arcanum through unpatched and enjoyed it despite some bugs but did not try TOEE.  This is there last chance to prove to me that Troika  deserves my money.... until the their next game.  :wink:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: