http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 01:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steam Box - pre-made or build your own in 2014! Now with funky controller!  (Read 4074 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

and it will be Linux based?

in a way it makes sense, with them trying out the Big Picture Mode, but part of me thinks that this will boil down to a translation error.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:58:37 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »

Its because Valve fears for the future, where things like the Win8 app store is a closed system for 3rd party stores like Valve's is.

This way, they can both compete and with enough investment, actually drive developers (Of which they themselves are pretty big) towards this platform as well.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

The Valve console has been reasonably well known for a while already. The use of Linux is a natural choice considering how much Gabe Newell dislikes the developments in Windows 8, and the OS isn't going to be a prominent feature anyway.

In any case, the idea is that Steam is already a well established marketplace. Wrapping a console around it might just work. If this succeeds it could be a good thing for game prices overall, as Sony and Microsoft would find themselves facing stiffer competition from a marketplace with generally lower prices and absurd special offers. This is the kind of thing that could actually carve out a respectable place in the console market, unlike the various Android "me too" attempts coming out from other companies.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »

The one thing I don't understand, is who is going to buy the console? PC gamers have their pc's,and most don't want to give up the freedom, unless of course its marketed as a console instead of a pc, meaning its a supplement instead of replacement.

Also, how is distribution going to happen? Gamestop is sure as hell not going to carry it, since its a console that will completely cut them away. That leaves normal electical outlets but they have the same reservations so...digital purchases ala Amazon is all I see is left, and thats a big thing to mass-market and sell over the net solely.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 07, 2013, 12:48:50 PM

The one thing I don't understand, is who is going to buy the console? PC gamers have their pc's,and most don't want to give up the freedom, unless of course its marketed as a console instead of a pc, meaning its a supplement instead of replacement

It's a console, not a PC. PC owners are not the target audience. This is most likely aimed at those people who'd like to play PC games but who can't afford to buy a PC for it, or who don't want to deal with the technical nature of running a PC.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

I just don't know how this is going to work from a technical standpoint. I suppose they will have to test every game to make sure it works on the console, and recertify after every patch. People won't be able to use their current Steam libraries because only some games work on Linux.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »

There's no reason to assume this will just be Steam on your TV.  Microsoft didn't just bring Windows to the living room with Xbox, and Valve has been making games and relations with other game companies for a long time.  They could well be trying to make it a four console market.  If it were anyone else, I'd say it's ridiculous, but Valve may be able to pull it off.   Although I don't know how far into other markets Valve has gone, so that could be an issue.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »

If I can install Windows on it, I'm in.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »

I can't see this succeeding if only because the console market hasn't grown enough to support  a 4th player. It wasn't until this gen that the market could support 3 players in a healthy way. Even if the quality of this product is top rate and the games for it good, I don't see it chewing into Sony, MS or Nintys' market share enough to survive.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 07, 2013, 06:42:34 PM

Why would you want to? Same goes for Linux on ps3. Why did people want this option in the first place? It's a console, I buy it to get away from installing shit!;)
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »

Looking at the initial specs of the first system its just a mobile AMD A10 system crammed in a little box.

So underpowered + running Linux and not windows = fail IMO.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 08, 2013, 09:55:57 PM

Quote from: Laner on January 07, 2013, 06:42:34 PM

Why would you want to?

So I wouldn't be limited to Steam's paltry Linux offerings.  Sure, more devs would probably start making Linux versions of their new titles, but the hundreds of older titles I already own on steam will probably never see a Linux port.

Edit:  Apparently it won't be locked down...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/145175-gabe-newell-reveals-juicy-steam-box-details-mobile-gaming-project-distaste-for-windows-8
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:32:38 PM by Laner » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

It's good for us as consumers that companies outside of MS, Sony and Nintendo are willing to jump into the upcoming next gen race.  Hopefully companies like Valve and Nvidia will be smart about their risk, and take the fail fast and move on approach, rather than riding a dud into the ground.  Now would have been the perfect opportunity for Sega to get back into the hardware space and put some pressure on the big 3.  I know I'm being nostalgic, but it would have been cool to see a next gen Sega come out of nowhere and blow away the competition.     
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »

Gabe explains things:

"We're working with partners trying to nail down exactly how fast we can make it, Newell said. We'll be giving out some prototypes to customers to get their reactions, I guess, in the next three to four months. Your average gamer has a good idea of what itd be like. It sort of has the openness and flexibility of PC, yet done in a way that makes it make sense in the living room. There are noise issues and heat issues and being able to [deal with] that while still offering a powerful enough gaming experience is the challenge in building it."

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

pre-order.  I'm thinking it's going to be a dud...

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »

For that starting money I'd rather buy one of those Alienware X51's.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

And just to be clear, those are still not the official Valve/Steambox product it's just the Piston mini PC. 

As for price, I'm not sure what people expected when you're basically shoving a current PC into an even tinier custom form factor it's not going to be cheaper than buying similar full-size parts that are widely marketed.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

the Piston is expected to be the first of other Steam boxes.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »

now Valve is saying they're not backing it.  with all the news floating around I cannot believe it took them 3 days to disavow the system; I think the ridicule about the price had something to do with it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »

actual news from Valve next week?

"Next week we're going to be rolling out more information about how we get there and what are the hardware opportunities we see for bringing Linux into the living room," he said.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »

A few months ago I would have completely disregarded any idea of getting a gaming only PC box. After all the hype over the new consoles and all the disappointments, I'm ready to consider a dedicated PC for my Steam games if the performance is really significantly better than my current hybrid office/gaming system.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:11 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 17, 2013, 01:44:46 AM

A few months ago I would have completely disregarded any idea of getting a gaming only PC box. After all the hype over the new consoles and all the disappointments, I'm ready to consider a dedicated PC for my Steam games if the performance is really significantly better than my current hybrid office/gaming system.

I've turned to the Apple side as my preference for productivity software and general internet/email stuff, but of course if I want gaming I need a PC.  That could change if Valve pulls of something magical with the Steam Box, but for me it's all going to depend on whether they mention they're keeping the Oculus Rift in mind in their announcement.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »

72 hours until an announcement?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »

and the first countdown reveals....

Steam OS, based on Linux, which answers the rumor that the Valve Steam Box would be Linux based if it actually exists.

48ish hours until part 2.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:07:49 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »

In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

My favorite part... you could have a relatively low-powered box sitting under your TV and stream locally from your gaming rig in another room.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:27:49 PM by Laner » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 23, 2013, 10:23:30 PM

In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

My favorite part... you could have a relatively low-powered box sitting under your TV and stream locally from your high powered gaming rig in another room.

that bit makes me think we're going to see something like Vita TV revealed in the second or third announcement.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »

In-home Streaming

My favorite part... you could have a relatively low-powered box sitting under your TV and stream locally from your gaming rig in another room.

Or I could just play the game on my gaming rig.

What's the point of this thing? Because I don't see it.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 01:40:12 AM »

Sorry to be potentially dense on this, but all the "living room" device talk has me a bit confused. Will I be able to use it as a gaming PC hooked up to a monitor and speakers? I'm needing a dedicated gaming PC hooked up to my 24 inch monitor and a set of speakers, as my office PC isn't optimum. As Laner says, if it's just a way to stream content from another rig, well, it's not for me.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 02:50:48 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 24, 2013, 01:35:40 AM

In-home Streaming

*shrug* I prefer playing on the couch on a big TV for a number of reasons.  Having access to my entire Steam library in the living room sounds great.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:17 AM »

at first I was thinking Vita TV, but now I have a feeling they are going to release something along the lines of the nVidia Shield- a device where you wireless stream from your PC to your TV, without having to have a bulky PC rig near your TV.  that is my best guess for announcement number 2.

number 3 will be Half Life 3 slywink

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »

Streaming is just a feature, not the entire purpose. But, I suspect they'll have different models for different people.

I'm actually very interested in the streaming, mainly because there's some games I'd like to play in the living room with friends, or allow friends to play without going into my room, or having to buy their own expensive PC.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »

This is something that I've been looking for. I believe the streaming is the main feature. People who use steam most likely have a gaming pc that isn't hooked up to the TV. So if you get games like, Batman or Assassins creed which were built with a controller in mind you can then just stream those games to your big screen if you want. Or a bunch of indy games that don't look the best on your pc monitor or are more casual/aren't hardcore. Which is exactly what I would like since I have a beefy main gaming rig that is to big/heavy/loud to take down to my main big screen TV. But there are games that are most suited to the couch. So why buy something twice or have to split my library when I could get the best of both worlds.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 24, 2013, 02:50:48 AM

In-home Streaming

*shrug* I prefer playing on the couch on a big TV for a number of reasons.  Having access to my entire Steam library in the living room sounds great.

Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo.

Most STEAM games were made for the PC and a mouse/keyboard and I'd bet many of the ones that do support a controller came out on console too.

This is a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist except in Gabe Newell's mind.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 04:55:09 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 24, 2013, 10:59:34 PM

Quote from: Laner on September 24, 2013, 02:50:48 AM

In-home Streaming

Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo.

Most STEAM games were made for the PC and a mouse/keyboard and I'd bet many of the ones that do support a controller came out on console too.

This is a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist except in Gabe Newell's mind.
All of those games that also came out on console still look, and in many cases, play better on a PC.  They also have better support for mods. Personally I would still rather play in front of a PC but I can see the appeal.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »

And the PC version will be cheaper right out of the gate, and will get a ridiculous Steam sale faster than the console version will ever get a significant price drop.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 25, 2013, 01:20:24 PM

And the PC version will be cheaper right out of the gate, and will get a ridiculous Steam sale faster than the console version will ever get a significant price drop.

While in some cases that is true - it is by no means a rule. If the game is launching on PC at the same time as the consoles, they generally are the same price. Blockbuster games like CoD are the same price and never waiver.

The next question is, how much MORE is Steam going to charge for licensing on their hardware platform? This is where consoles tend to lose out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 25, 2013, 01:30:20 PM

While in some cases that is true - it is by no means a rule. If the game is launching on PC at the same time as the consoles, they generally are the same price.

Huh.  I had it in my mind that cross platform titles launch on PC at $40 and consoles at $60, but looking at upcoming Fall stuff you seem to be right.  When did that happen?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 25, 2013, 01:50:59 PM

While in some cases that is true - it is by no means a rule. If the game is launching on PC at the same time as the consoles, they generally are the same price.

Huh.  I had it in my mind that cross platform titles launch on PC at $40 and consoles at $60, but looking at upcoming Fall stuff you seem to be right.  When did that happen?

it's been slowly happening for awhile, but with sites like Green Man Gaming you can usually get a discount or credits towards other games.   for example, I'm pre-ordering Battlefield 4 for $47.99, Arkham Origins for $25.50, probably going to get a $12 credit with my Titanfall pre-order.. actually may pre-order that first and use the $12 towards BF4 to make it cheaper....

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 25, 2013, 02:00:28 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 25, 2013, 01:50:59 PM

it's been slowly happening for awhile, but with sites like Green Man Gaming you can usually get a discount or credits towards other games.   for example, I'm pre-ordering Battlefield 4 for $47.99, Arkham Origins for $25.50, probably going to get a $12 credit with my Titanfall pre-order.. actually may pre-order that first and use the $12 towards BF4 to make it cheaper....
are you getting Arkham Origins that cheap via credit?  I've been looking for a cheap pre-order on this one. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »

Steam Machines announcement.

Going off their last FAQ question:
Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

It seems likely that they will be announcing some input-related stuff on Friday.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:10:32 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: