http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valve has 3 big surprises in store for us in the next 12 months....  (Read 1652 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »

and not one will be Episode 3.

just to piss jersoc off

it's good to see they have a goal in life  icon_twisted

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just made up the Episode 3 thing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
or did I?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »

Great, three more games/expansions we'll get to play in five years. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »

Sadly, all I really want is Episode 3.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »

Surprise #1 : They lied about the number of surprises  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:02:53 AM »

Meh, I don't really care at this point. The "Episode" part of the Half Life 2 expansions is just ridiculous anyway. Valve, this isn't how you do episodic content dammit!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »

Valve is quickly reaching LA into cock tease and piss me off territory. Much like LA, no xwing no care. No ep2. GOTO HELL.

It's probably going to be that dota game, another shitty l4d thing and maybe something neat for TF2. It's been what? 3 years?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »

Cynical Guess...
Half Life 3, Left for Dead 3 and Portal 3. Yawn. Surprise!  smirk

Warped Guess...
-Mrs. Freeman: Domestic Chores While Gordon's Away
-Left 4 Dead: G-Rated Biblical Edition (you unleash the souls of the walking dead by reading them scripture and praying with them, thereby sending them happily to the pearly gates)
-Wall (a prequel to Portal, but with no holes...)

Me, I'm voting for 3 new dev-created campaigns for Alien Swarm... drool

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »

Valve's games are all awesome. They understand and service the PC gamer crowd better than anyone out there. They haven't sold out to the console crowd like other developers. Steam has completely changed the way I buy games.

It sucks that they're taking so long with ep 3 (or at this point it may just be HL3), but I got a backlog of games thanks to all the awesome sales on Steam, so I can wait patiently.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »

I forgot to add...

Pessimistic Guess
-Steam gets shut down
-Valve becomes a console-only developer
-Gabe Newell leaves to join Facebook
 crybaby icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 02, 2010, 02:45:13 PM

Valve's games are all awesome. They understand and service the PC gamer crowd better than anyone out there.

If that was true, we'd have seen Episode 3 years ago and L4D2 wouldn't have been released anywhere near when it was. I love Steam, but when it comes to Valve's actual games, they're making us dance to their tunes instead of the other way around.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2010, 03:41:45 PM

Valve's games are all awesome. They understand and service the PC gamer crowd better than anyone out there.

If that was true, we'd have seen Episode 3 years ago and L4D2 wouldn't have been released anywhere near when it was. I love Steam, but when it comes to Valve's actual games, they're making us dance to their tunes instead of the other way around.

And yet i still want to dance!

morlac00 on PSN
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »

Quote from: morlac on September 02, 2010, 04:29:06 PM

And yet i still want to dance!

Me too. (does the Valve jog)

Don't understand the Valve hateration here. They may superior games that the vast majority of the PC gaming community love. They like to take their time. So be it. It's worked very well for Blizzard.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

It's not hate. It's indifference. Whenever Valve releases Episode 3 I'll buy it, play it, and probably love it. Until that happens, I'm not going to hold my breath or even care. Valve doesn't seem to care all that much about public perception or in satisfying their customers. They're obsessed with perfection and side projects, and that's fine. Just don't expect me to sit around and wait for them to hand out their next cookie.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

exactly.  what we'll probably get is a new l4d game/expansion, more news about portal 2 and probably something about tf2 in that telltale game.  i doubt we'll get anything ground breaking unless its for something a few years out.  the problem is, it's already been 6 years since hl2, which is as long as it took to get the second one out, even with the code steal and last month delay.  as it stands, we haven't been given any details in a few years about episode 3, let alone half life 3. 

i also attribute some of the indifference to announcements in general.  i'm tired of getting all excited for the potential only to be disappointed by the actual.  wake me when it's news, not hints of news.  this pre-announcement crap is getting old.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »

I predict we'll see:

1.  A shooter
2.  A shooter
3.  A shooter or tower defense game

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »

It's called capitalism. They put out a product. You either buy it or don't. If they had to dance to the tune of a bunch of whiny forum geeks who think they know jack shit about the game business, they'd probably put out a bunch of crap.

As for them not caring about satisfying their customers, I point out several exhibits:
Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D
Exhibit E
Exhibit F
Exhibit G
Exhibit H
Exhibit I
Exhibit J

I could go on and on but I'd run out of letters pretty quickly.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »

I would guess one of them will be TF3 or Half Life 3.  We are due for one or the other and either one will sell like hotcakes doing the macerna!  

I will guess that another is an Alien swarm follow up and the last one will be something involving a new IP   icon_eek

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 02, 2010, 05:47:50 PM

It's called capitalism. They put out a product. You either buy it or don't. If they had to dance to the tune of a bunch of whiny forum geeks who think they know jack shit about the game business, they'd probably put out a bunch of crap.

Wait, are you honestly using Valve as an example of capitalism at work? The one company apart from Blizzard that can take its time and pour love (and time) into its products before releasing them when they're done? The company that earns its money from Steam and doesn't really need the income from their games?

I guess it's not just whiny forum geeks who think they know jack shit about the... oh, wait.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2010, 05:56:57 PM

Wait, are you honestly using Valve as an example of capitalism at work? The one company apart from Blizzard that can take its time and pour love (and time) into its products before releasing them when they're done? The company that earns its money from Steam and doesn't really need the income from their games?

Um... yeah? You understand they can take their time on their products because they made money on their products, right? And that Steam is another of their products designed (very well) to make money?

They pioneered and control an estimated 70% of online video game distribution. This was done at a time where developers were (and still are) running like Usain Bolt away from the PC market to consoles. That shows how well they understand the PC market and they've been very well compensated for that understanding.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 02, 2010, 06:08:16 PM

Um... yeah? You understand they can take their time on their products because they made money on their products, right? And that Steam is another of their products designed (very well) to make money?

They pioneered and control an estimated 70% of online video game distribution. This was done at a time where developers were (and still are) running like Usain Bolt away from the PC market to consoles. That shows how well they understand the PC market and they've been very well compensated for that understanding.

I knew I shouldn't have started an argument with you. You just keep subtly changing the topic in ways that makes the other person appears daft. Have fun with your little personal circle-jerk.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2010, 06:12:26 PM

I knew I shouldn't have started an argument with you. You just keep subtly changing the topic in ways that makes the other person appears daft. Have fun with your little personal circle-jerk.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day, thanks! Listen, you can whine about their release schedule all you want. But if you want to make the argument that they're not a fine example of capitalism at work (and you made that argument, or more specifically you stated it without any logic behind it) then you done goofed.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 02, 2010, 05:34:30 PM

I predict we'll see:

1.  A shooter
2.  A shooter
3.  A shooter or tower defense game
You talkin' crazy! You think Valve's gonna go out on a limb like that!    icon_smile
==============
Seriously, to me a surprise is something truly different, not more of the same, not another sequel or expansion, not something we're all expecting. I'm not saying more of the same can't be "great," just that it would seem disingenuous to call it a "surprise." Portal to me was a "surprise," so maybe they have some sort of off-the-wall concept.

Bungie doing a Pac-Man game would be a "surprise." Bungie doing "Halo 17" wouldn't.
Infinity Ward doing "Middle East Diplomacy Simulator" would be a "surprise." Infinity Ward doing "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare XVIXVIII" wouldn't.
For example...

So my bad jokes aside, I hope Valve has something really surprising to unveil.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:17:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 12:31:30 PM »

I guess it's not just whiny forum geeks who think they know jack shit about the... oh, wait.

Dude, Steam is a perfect example of capitalism at work. At their hearts, each and every capitalistic oriented company wants to make as much money as possible and spend as little money as possible. Getting money for free (a la third party companies paying Steam) is every company's wet dream.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »

Quote from: raydude on September 03, 2010, 12:31:30 PM

Dude, Steam is a perfect example of capitalism at work. At their hearts, each and every capitalistic oriented company wants to make as much money as possible and spend as little money as possible. Getting money for free (a la third party companies paying Steam) is every company's wet dream.

Agreed. I wasn't talking about Steam though, I was talking about Valve's game development efforts.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »

The only reason they had money to invest in a huge venture like Steam is because they sold a boat load of games.  They were a hugely succesful captalistic entity well before Steam.  Finacial failure does not equal capatlism, that is just an odd way to think.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 03, 2010, 12:09:29 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on September 02, 2010, 05:34:30 PM

I predict we'll see:

1.  A shooter
2.  A shooter
3.  A shooter or tower defense game
You talkin' crazy! You think Valve's gonna go out on a limb like that!    icon_smile
==============

Yeah, actually I'm a bit jealous.  I can't play first-person games due to motion sickness, so I've never been able to play any Valve games.  I'd like just once to be able to buy and play one of their critically acclaimed games.  smile

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »

Out of curisoity have you ever tried an over the cocunter remedy like Dramamine?  I guess that would be a pain but if enabled you to play and you had say a full afternoon of gaming it might be worth it?  Hell, it helped me go deep sea fishing (not that I caught much besides a buzz, but hey no pukie).

morlac00 on PSN
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »

Quote from: morlac on September 03, 2010, 06:21:26 PM

Out of curisoity have you ever tried an over the cocunter remedy like Dramamine?  I guess that would be a pain but if enabled you to play and you had say a full afternoon of gaming it might be worth it?  Hell, it helped me go deep sea fishing (not that I caught much besides a buzz, but hey no pukie).

Yeah, but it doesn't work all that well.  Funny thing is that I don't get seasick, carsick or really any other motion sickness.  I'm one of of the few guys who didn't get sick the first time in a jet.  But with 1st person games I instantly become a Trekkie...WORRRFFFFFFFFF!!!

Been that way ever since Wolfenstein.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 03, 2010, 07:47:06 PM

Quote from: morlac on September 03, 2010, 06:21:26 PM

Out of curisoity have you ever tried an over the cocunter remedy like Dramamine?  I guess that would be a pain but if enabled you to play and you had say a full afternoon of gaming it might be worth it?  Hell, it helped me go deep sea fishing (not that I caught much besides a buzz, but hey no pukie).

Yeah, but it doesn't work all that well.  Funny thing is that I don't get seasick, carsick or really any other motion sickness.  I'm one of of the few guys who didn't get sick the first time in a jet.  But with 1st person games I instantly become a Trekkie...WORRRFFFFFFFFF!!!

Been that way ever since Wolfenstein.

Ahh.  Blame the Nazis.  I see what you did there. 

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »

My guesses...

1. A new halflife 3 game is in the making.

2. In the late stages of development the games' code will be stolen by a hacker.

3. The controversy of the theft and the resulting delays, will inadverdently turn out to be the most successful marketing campaign in the history of gaming.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »

Knowing Valve, surprises don't necessarily need to be new game releases.  They've been very good about updating and adding new features to their older titles.  After their recent porting of the Source engine to Macs, maybe they're planning something else in a similar vein.  I'd bet at least one of the "big surprises" from Valve will be a new feature versus a new title.

That being said, it would be nice to see HL2 Ep3 sometime soon.  If I recall correctly, there's usually been roughly a one and a half year wait between each episode, so we're well overdue now for the final instalment since it's been close to three years.

16-bit and loving it!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 04:16:39 AM »

Just had a thought. A version of They Hunger was supposed to be released by Valve at some point. That might be too old a series to get much interest at this point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: