http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 10:03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT 2007 Confirmed as PS3 launch title  (Read 3818 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:46:27 PM »

Just wondering what the general reaction to this franchise going console is.  With the inevitable control compromises it may change the game quite a bit.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:18:51 PM »

I think it depends on whether Zaxxon sets up a dedicated server for it or not. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 08:22:30 PM »

I'm going to send this over to the Console forum.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:35:20 PM »

this thread is jumping around like shooting a flak cannon from a boomarang.

'nuff said. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 09:52:56 PM »

Good news indeed. My PC could never handle Unreal Tournament 2007 and rather than buy a new computer I think I'm just going to wait for the PS3, especially considering you can hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to it and rumors of the hard drive including linux and web browsing.. make it pretty much a computer all in itself.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 10:19:15 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Good news indeed. My PC could never handle Unreal Tournament 2007 and rather than buy a new computer I think I'm just going to wait for the PS3, especially considering you can hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to it and rumors of the hard drive including linux and web browsing.. make it pretty much a computer all in itself.

Keep in mind that just because Sony announces that the console can support mouse/keyboard doesn't mean that UT2007 will support it. Sony announced KB/M support for the PS2 years ago and I can think of only two FPS games that use it. I'm not sure you can count on the situtation being any different for the PS3.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:39:28 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Sony announced KB/M support for the PS2 years ago and I can think of only two FPS games that use it. I'm not sure you can count on the situtation being any different for the PS3.

One of the few titles that does support kb/mouse for the PS2 is Unreal Tournament... smile

Edit: Redundant Department of Redundancy
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 01:39:53 AM »

Is the PS3 anything more than vaporware at this point?  Has anyone actually seen a game running on the system?  

I find it real hard to believe that Sony is still selling this as a spring release when all of the industry experts are saying they will be lucky to launch next Christmas.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 04:15:27 AM »

I absolutely LOVED UT2K4.  The only game I've spent significant time with online.  But I felt a lot of the staying power was due to mods.  There are some terrific maps and mods out there and I'm afraid it just won't be the same without them.

That said, what I've seen of UT2k7 looks amazing.  I know my PC won't be running it without a video upgrade so I'm kind of torn at this point.  I've pretty much just come to the conclusion it will never be as good as the times I had with UT2k4.  Of course that's just me.  I'm still willing to give it a shot on whatever console it comes out on.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:11:38 AM »

especially considering you can hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to it and rumors of the hard drive including linux and web browsing..

Rumor also has it that the PS3 will make toast, coffee, and a hell of a good martini.

I just can't help thinking of all the hype that surrounded the PS2 during development. I will not believe anything about the PS3 until I see it with my own eyes.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 05:18:39 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
Is the PS3 anything more than vaporware at this point?  Has anyone actually seen a game running on the system?  

I find it real hard to believe that Sony is still selling this as a spring release when all of the industry experts are saying they will be lucky to launch next Christmas.

Most of those experts are talking about the US market and most seem to consider that PS3 will likely launch here next fall.  Although Sony has never confirmed it, Spring is generally considered to be Japan only.  

And I don't find the lack of playable software surprising- Japan traditionally has a much, much smaller lead time between titles being announced and being published than the US gamers are used to (with a few notable exceptions like FFXII).  Reaction to the playable 360 software at E3 was pretty subdued since it was generally unpolished and extremely lacking in terms of framerate.  Sony may be wanting to wait until the software is closer to its final form a la MS's X05 event.  

We should hopefully see someting during CES early next month.  This announcement (which I haven't seen aside from the mention in this thread) would see to confirm that a US launch of PS3 wont be until the second half of next year since U2K7 is a ways off.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 07:44:56 AM »

I'm not concerned with delays of the PS3, especially considering the 360 launch.

It gives the game developers more time to prepare launch titles, more time for the company to perfect and produce the hardware too.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
It gives the game developers more time to prepare launch titles, more time for the company to perfect and produce the hardware too.

If the company is still perfecting their hardware late in the cycle, that does not help developers at all.  Developers have to have a solid, stable platform to work on, and that includes development kit hardware AND SDKs that aren't constantly changing in major ways.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »

Sony could easily get away with a spring Japan launch having only a few titles. Plenty there would buy it for just being the next PS and the blue-ray. They won't need a big number of launch titles untill it comes over here.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 05:27:38 PM »

The PS3 has just gone from a pre-order to a FIRST MINUTE PRE-ORDER.  Great news, who needs a new pc now?  I don't!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »

who needs a new pc now? I don't!

Except when you need to do work, etc... Tongue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »

*edited*

Who needs to upgrade their PC now!?  I don't!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »

Ah, much better, and that line I can agree with.

Still, even thought I don't need to upgrade to get my gaming goodness, I plan to anyway to play games like Oblivion on the PC with all the mods.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 11:45:47 PM »

Until they somehow figure out how to do neat mods on consoles, I'll keep on buying games like UT2k7, and Oblivion for the PC.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Until they somehow figure out how to do neat mods on consoles, I'll keep on buying games like UT2k7, and Oblivion for the PC.

BUT YOU'RE MY NEMESIS!  We gotta get it for the same platform biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 07:55:09 PM »

Exactly. Therefore, I'm expecting you to buy this for the PC. Damn it.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 05:21:20 PM »

Not so fast.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508027
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »

No launch, that's fine.  360'ers are waiting for Oblivion, PS3'ers will be waiting for UT2k7.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »

Is this definately NOT on the 360 then?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 07:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

I don't think it will. Epic seems to want to put diffrent titles on the systems. Have exclusives(at least console wise) for each one.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2006, 08:10:24 PM »

There hasn't been any official confirmation, but here is something from Gamespot:

Epic aims to "at least have the functionality of Xbox Live," a service that has long offered features such as real-time voice-over-Internet and friends lists and is one that the developer is no stranger to.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/unrealtournament2007/preview_6123872.html?page=2

It was also a part of IGN's "Every 360 Game" article.  My bet is that it will be on both.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 10:24:06 PM »

I think it's safe to say that it'll look better on the PS3, though.

(let it begin)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

(let it begin)

Says who?

A first gen PS3 title will probabily look the same as a second gen 360 title. The systems are going to be VERY similar graphically.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

(let it begin)

TML carefully casts into the murky waters.  He knows his prey is swimming below the surface but will he bite?

Quote from: "Hetz"
Says who?

A first gen PS3 title will probabily look the same as a second gen 360 title. The systems are going to be VERY similar graphically.

YES!  He lands a Hetz!  TML knows the secret: you can catch a Hetz every time if you use the correct bait!

Tongue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »

I doubt Epic will pass up the chance of the 360 sales for ut2007, plus the Live framework is just asking for a game like 2007.

This makes me wonder what Sony has planned for the PS3's online capabilities.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »

I just like riling shit up biggrin

But hey, I landed a Hetz; NOW I'M GOING TO FRY YOU AND EAT YOUR DELICIOUS BODY!

(I sorta wish it were coming out for 360 because we KNOW the 360's got a killer online system, while we don't really know anything about the PS3's)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 03:09:59 AM »

Frankly, even if it does look better on PS3 (which I doubt, I think it iwll be a wash), I would MUCH rather play it on 360 unless Sony drastically revamps their multiplayer strategy. The 360 Live implementation and dashboards are so freaking awesome, i would almost rather play games on that then PC right now.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »

Frankly, even if it does look better on PS3 (which I doubt, I think it iwll be a wash), I would MUCH rather play it on 360 unless Sony drastically revamps their multiplayer strategy.

All signs point to Sony staying with the same infastructure.  You won't have to pay for it, but you won't have the same functionality as Xbox Live.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 04:37:43 AM »

UT2K4 was way to much of a twitch game for me to enjoy it using a controller.  Sorry, mouse and keyboard all the way-  PC FTW!!!

Of course I am probably just going to pre-order a PS3 early on just so I can say I got one on launch day  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 06:03:16 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Why would first gen PS3 title be as good as second gen 360 title?  It's not like they're the same architecture.  You actually expect the PS3's launch titles to be as good as the 360's fall 2006 titles?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 06:36:15 AM »

I don't. I wonder how much showing off those Killzone and MSG4 videos will bite them in the ass as the PS3 launch stuff won't be anywhere close to those.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 09:57:30 AM »

MGS4 was real-time.  The hair on his moustache (which have more polygons than an entire enemy soldier in MGS3!) was being rendered in real-time.  Octacon was actually in the city, being rendered in real-time.

And to me, Killzone's video isn't too far out of the question, imo.  Looking at the original, they did some really amazing stuff with that game...I shall remain optimistic!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »

Sorry guys but UT2k7 is not a PS3 launch title now..its a PC first title..

PC first. We're not scheduled to be a ps3 launch title, not certain where those news sites are getting that from. There will be a pre-release demo (on the PC at least).

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=9084

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 04:45:35 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
especially considering you can hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to it and rumors of the hard drive including linux and web browsing..

Rumor also has it that the PS3 will make toast, coffee, and a hell of a good martini.

I just can't help thinking of all the hype that surrounded the PS2 during development. I will not believe anything about the PS3 until I see it with my own eyes.

Bingo.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »

*cough* Emotion Engine *cough*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend