http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used PSP price after Slim comes out?  (Read 1901 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2007, 05:25:50 AM »

Back when PSPs were new and costing $250 I found places selling used ones for $160. Now that the PSP Slim seems a sure thing how much do you reckon a used old PSP will come down to? Ive been wanting one since I first saw the concept model workup and I have no hope of outright buying a new one. My only hope is they get supper cheap when I find some cash or someone will trade their old one away to me for pc stuff when they get the new Slim one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »

It will drop the price for sure, Im sure when the DS Lite launched no one wanted the ugly sister....

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »

I am a little perplexed by all this speculation of the price drop and the Slim idea. First, the slim idea comes almost entirely from speculative articles posted on Kotaku. While it seems possible that Sony would redesign the PSP (or release a PSP2), it seems unlikely they would rework the exisiting PSP in any radical way that would cause issues with software compatibility, etc (so no second nub). Also, many of the rumored changes looked to be somewhat expensive and if implemented might push the price way up (and make it harder to compete with the DS).

Second-the price drop. Sony, just dropped the price of the PSP. It was like 6 weeks ago. Why in the world would they drop it again in a few months if its selling well?

My guess-new colors, maybe. No redesign until PSP2.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »

Ahem, DS, and DS lite.

The DS lite is not the DS2, and yet the DS lite has sold a ton more than the original DS.

The PSP slim is needed because the old PSP was a somewhat poor design.  It's bulky, has an unprotected screen, and and generally old.  The system needs as much a new look to get consumers interested along with the new games coming out this year.

The changes listed are very conservative changes.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »

No, they were not. They have been rumored to include up to 8gb of flash memory, a new LCD screen, and other improvements that were by no means conservative or cheap-and they are all complete speculation.

And the DS/DSLite comparison is not an apt one-the cost of the hardware itself is not even remotely comparable. Just because the DSLite sells for an enormous profit and sells a truly mindblowing number of units does not translate into the PSP market.

We will all know in about 10 days, so its all speculation from all of us obviously until then.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 02:25:41 AM »

Rumored price of the PSP Slim is $170

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 02:29:25 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 07, 2007, 02:25:41 AM

Rumored price of the PSP Slim is $170

And rumored date of release? Come on Dae-where does this rumor come from? If its Kotaku its the same rumors that have floated around for months. Not a single unofficial word about this from anyone-you think Sony all of a sudden learned how to keep a secret?

And you realize they JUST dropped the PSP to 170 right?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 07:02:10 AM »

Um, considering how hard it's been to get a leaked screenshot of the current Killzone 2, they can keep a secret.  Any company can.

Anyway, hold your horses Cal, it'll probably be announced at E3 and that's a week away.

Well first off, Sony makes all sorts of displays, it's not a hard thing to imagine that they simply take one of their smaller and more efficient displays or display technologies, mass produce it as they already have been, and put it into the PSP slim.

The 8GB initial rumor was what they wanted to put in, but due to factors that we don't know, they went with 4GB, I've read two articles about this and both said that they initially wanted the 8, but had to go with 4.  Also note that this is NAND memory, the same stuff you find in those USB flash drives.  These drives and memory are cheap because in the manufacturing of it they can get away with having bad memory sectors, they simply mark which sectors is bad and use the rest.  This leads to very high yield rates on this type of memory thus lowering the cost.  This memory also has limits, but it's already perfect for mobile use.  So since the memory is cheap, and Sony has access to it, well it's not a stretch to think that they could put some in.  Heck, a quick search on newegg shows detail flash drives for $30-$60, and that's from people who have to buy their chips from other manufacturers, Sony can make it themselves.

Also, the current PSP system makes money for each unit sold.  They got the manufacturing costs down lower than the retail cost.  This gives them some room to add hardware or functionality without going over the retail price, which is why it's a possibility that the system will remain at $170.  Also $170 is a good price point for them.  They won't likely lower it any further than $150 until the DS goes down further.  They're also not in a position to release a system with a higher price point since you know how high price points affect system sales, it could still be $200 though.

So, the main changes were the new LCD screen, slot loading UMD drive, and 4GB of NAND flash memory.  All the other mentioned changes are costmetic changes, different button positions, maybe one or two new buttons.  Everything else is software/firmware functionality.  Most later articles state that the PSP slim will have a lot of the same internal hardware such as chips and such, so that's even less manufacturing costs since the tooling, and spares are already there.

I used the DS/DS Lite analogy to argue your point that a hardware refresh can be a very good idea and can bolster sales.  Hell the DS didn't really take off until the lite version came out.  The markets are similar because it's the same handheld market, well scratch that, slightly different market since PSPs are marketed to teens and older rather than kids and casual gamers.  But, it's all the same handheld market.  The DS is a testament to how a spiffy new design can really help a system, they learned their lessons from Apple.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 05:59:02 PM »

Just my own 2 cents, but based on how things are currently going for Sony they really need to be announcing the release of a new PSP model at E3. As I've said before the PSP may be Sony's only saving grace this gen and a new model could really shift their sales into a higher gear. If they have a newer model and can launch it at a lower price, the effect on sales would be even more dramatic.
IMHO the rumored price drop of the PS3 isn't going to be enough to get PS sales up above the -it's selling well-  200K / month marker.
If the new PSP model proves to be just a rumor, color me surprised as it's really what Sony should be doing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 06:02:39 PM by kronovan » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »

Should also mention that the PSP is very much a finiancial success.

Many people, and I'll just come right out and say it, usually Nintendo fanboys, will immediately jump on any good news about the PSP and say how it's nothing compared to the DS.  Well sure, the DS is crazy.  But, if you look at the straight numbers for the PSP, the system and its game sales are still very much a financial success with over 10 million systems sold, and good, constant, though not amazing game sales.  It may be miniscule compared to DS sales, but the very fact that it's still making a large sum of money for Sony shows that the system is valid and is worth of a hardware refresh, it also shows that there really are more than one sub market to the handheld market.  Sony markets to more mature gamers along with its multifunction.

The main thing the system suffers from right now is lack of media and public attention, along with the idea that the system is bulky and such.  A hardware refresh that gave it a new sleek look that could attract gadget heads like those who rushed out to buy iphones could really push the system.

Also note how Sony's been getting more active against piracy lately, shutting down Dark Alex's firmware, it's obvious they're planning something big.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 11:37:52 PM »

I think the main thing that damaged the PSP was the price. Its nice hardware and my favorite hand held..but I dont own one because of the price. I like Nintendo as much as the next guy but I outgrew their kid slant many years ago.

I want a PSP. Always have. I think if it had released at $199 and had come down to $129 by now it would have been a much larger hit than it is.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »

You can blame that on the DS's uber popularity.  The PSP is much better hardware than the DS, and the DS is probably priced a lot higher than it costs to manufacture.  So Sony has no incentive to drop the price below $170 because that's still $40 over the DS for double if not triple the hardware, not to mention they're banking on the upcoming games to sell the system.  And Nintendo won't drop the price on the DS anytime soon since it already prints money.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 03:43:31 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 07, 2007, 11:37:52 PM

I like Nintendo as much as the next guy but I outgrew their kid slant many years ago.

That is such a naive comment. The majority of games are no more kiddy than what you see for the PSP. Yeah, it does have some kiddy games, and guess what, those games are fun too.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 03:46:06 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 07, 2007, 07:11:02 PM

The main thing the system suffers from right now is lack of media and public attention, along with the idea that the system is bulky and such.  A hardware refresh that gave it a new sleek look that could attract gadget heads like those who rushed out to buy iphones could really push the system.

I disagree, the main thing it needs is interesting games. I would buy one in a second if there were games I wanted for it. I occassionaly check out the game reviews to see if something has come along that I missed, still not seeing anything that pushes me to get one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:20:33 AM by Lee » Logged
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »

I think it's a matter of taste in games.  I feel pretty much the same way about the DS.  Occassionaly there is a game that sounds interesting, but not enough for me to pick one up. 

The PSP on the other hand has had, and has coming soon, plenty of games that I've been interested in and had fun with.

There are several strategy games upcoming for the DS that may actually tip me over to getting one.  Same reason I don't have a Wii, the game lineup does nothing for me.  On the other hand I know plenty of people who love it.  Fortunately we are not all the same, would be very boring.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
siege

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:58 PM »

I mainly play SRPG's on handhelds and the DS has at least 5 coming out THIS year alone. The PSP certainly has some cool looking stuff like Castlevania and Jeanne D'Arc, but I really don't have the time to invest in two handhelds. Maybe when it's down to $130, I'll bite.

Thankfully the Wii, 360, and PS3 don't interest me at all, so I'm able to save a lot of money on gaming. Handhelds suit me just fine.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 07:47:36 AM »

cant say the SLIM PSP looks that different than its older brother,think i will stick with the original,the only difference i saw really was it more curved around the edges,the battery said 3.6v 1200 mAh(compared to my old one that says 3.6v 1800 mAh)...oh and the little holes on the front are in a different place

although it does have that video out port...but thats not really enough for me to shell out another 150+

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167827

they could of moved the damn on and off button,and not had it as a stupid slide up and hold to turn off

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »

One new feature that usually doesn't make it to news sites is that this new model speeds loading times by storing extra data from the UMD.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 12, 2007, 08:03:25 AM

One new feature that usually doesn't make it to news sites is that this new model speeds loading times by storing extra data from the UMD.

How exactly? And I highly doubt it does it anywhere near as well as my PSP does when I load games off my memory stick.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:01:19 PM »

It may be pre-caching, which could give the UMD drive the illusion of being faster without having to actually be so.

In the announcement I saw no mention of on-board flash memory.  Is that in or out?
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 07:31:52 PM »

I really hope that screen is upgraded in some way. Same size is okay, but it just has to have a faster refresh rate to take out some of that damn ghosting.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 09:10:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 12, 2007, 12:11:04 PM

Quote from: Turtle on July 12, 2007, 08:03:25 AM

How exactly? And I highly doubt it does it anywhere near as well as my PSP does when I load games off my memory stick.

Ooh well now...how the heck do you do this?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 12, 2007, 09:10:34 PM

Ooh well now...how the heck do you do this?

Load games off of memory stick?  One of the features of hacking the firmware.  However, unless you happen to have some sort of UMD reader that means that you'll have to obtain the ISOs of most games from "other sources". 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 07:01:47 AM »

There's 64mb of on board flash, a far cry from the rumored 4gb.  I suppose there's also some more memory on there, or it uses that 64mb to precache.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:25 AM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/psp-slim-and-psp-slim-silver-coming-in-september-277342.php

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 05:40:33 AM »

Anyone seen a side by side shot of the two models?
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 06:03:04 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 15, 2007, 05:40:33 AM

Anyone seen a side by side shot of the two models?

icon_lol

[edit] here is a hands on review.  I haven't read it yet, I'll check it out tomorrow.  Lots of pics though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 06:08:02 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 15, 2007, 06:03:04 AM

here is a hands on review.  I haven't read it yet, I'll check it out tomorrow.  Lots of pics though.

The glossy new finish of the redesigned PSP is very attractive, although we're afraid that it might attract fingerprints much more easily than the already susceptible original.

Good lord! All you have to do with the original PSP is look at it funny and it attracts fingerprints. How can they possibly make it worse?

And I'll be sticking with my old PSP, thank you very much. Not only can I run all my purchased games off of my Memory Stick (and have multiple games on one stick, so no more carting games), but I haven't really played my system much as of late as it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

I'd be interested in the TV-Out, but given my current "all TV is done on a PC" situation, I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of that feature.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »

Against my better judgment I am still kinda interested in this...going to fight it though.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 02:23:32 PM »

according to C and VG,we in the UK are getting ours before Japan..**shock,shock,horror,horror*

anyway,i have had second thoughts about this now,and even though i already have  PSP,i may have to pick the new one up,the desire to play metal gear solid port ops,silent hill origins and final fantasy 1 and 2 on the TV is way too much

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dirt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 09:53:12 PM »

$169.99 until inventory runs out.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile