http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:04:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US v.1.50 PSP exploit to be released tomorrow morning?  (Read 4270 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »

It is spreading across the psp scene like wildfire.  Two videos of this supposed launcher have been releases so far and the second appears to be very credible.  This is very interesting news to me as part of purchasing the psp was to play homebrew software.  This should open the gates for that.  Anyone else interested in this news?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 06:42:31 PM »

IN!!

What the hell are you talking about?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »

That will allow you to run emulators on the PSP.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:01:18 PM »

Quote from: "shon"
That will allow you to run emulators on the PSP.

Exactly.  Not to mention any other programs that could be made.  There are a lot of talented programmers out there that could probably make some pretty cool games.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:29:03 PM »

Cool - Still IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »

is this related to the slashdot article that MAME was able to be run on a PSP?

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:48:29 PM »

No, this is related to updates that can be found at http://www.ps2nfo.com.  Mame is just one of the many emulators that will now be able to run on US PSPs.  Another interesting project that will now be possible on US PSPs is a port of Linux being developed at http://www.psp-linux.org.  While just the news of emulators alone is very exciting, I hope someone can make a web browser or maybe even port IE... yeah, wishful thinking.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »

Why is it that people go out of their way to hack something only to port Linux over to it? Is this the gold-standard for hackers? Sounds like a huge waste of time to me.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 12:01:37 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Why is it that people go out of their way to hack something only to port Linux over to it? Is this the gold-standard for hackers? Sounds like a huge waste of time to me.

I suspect it's the modern day equivalent of "Hello world".

They do it just to see if it can be done.

I watched an episode of The Screen Savers (back when it was alive and well) and Leo and Patrick were reporting on some guys who were in a contest to see who could boost a wi-fi signal the longest.  Strange stuff but it makes for geek street cred.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 02:51:58 AM »

Two videos of this supposed launcher have been releases so far and the second appears to be very credible.

Are there links to said videos?

Also, how easily will I be able to run MAME?  And are we talking about a special PSP MAME or any version?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 04:51:25 AM »

Both videos can be found by clicking here.  I think it is a new version of mame that is going to be written specifically for the psp but based of the existing versions of mame.  About the Linux thing, I dont really know.  I think it would be cool to have some sort of OS on the PSP and I think Windows would be pretty much impossible.  [/url]

unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 01:02:02 PM »

Why put an OS on it?  Being able to do wireless web browsing while on the... throne... would justify the effort all by itself.

I was largely ignoring the PSP, but the recent developments now have me considering getting one.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »

Holy crap, it works.

As far as I can figure, it's based around the old fashioned swap trick. In short, you need two memory cards. The first memory card, when you run the program, forces the PSP to reboot.

Then you quickly swap memory cards, and at which point emulation becomes possible.

I'm having issues testing to see how well this actually works (but I have to admit I've gotten 'unlicenced' code to run on my PSP), as my usual sites are utterly dying under a total slam of people who want to get their emulation on thier PSP.

But it does work.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 03:53:15 PM »

I must be of sub-par intelligence, because I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. (I am, for the record, a complete noob when it comes to things like this).

I install the mswap tool, but when I click on pbp file, I can't seem to locate the "eboot" file. Instead, it goes straight to looking in my document folder. If I can't follow the simple instructions on the pdf that came with the program, perhaps this all is a bit out of my league.  :oops:
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 04:47:33 PM »

I can't use this because I updated to 1.51.  There is talk that Sony is going to start putting auto updates on games that come out in the future to fight this kind of stuff.  What we really need is something like this that works with 1.51.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 04:53:44 PM »

That'd be dumb of Sony really....I'd buy a PSP to play old NES games. If I could play Punch Out on my PSP I'd be far more inclined to use it often. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »

Well, Sony is concerned with the legalilty of things.  And running emulated software on your PSP typically isn't thought of as very legal.  To me, it sounds like something they would do.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 05:13:38 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
That'd be dumb of Sony really....I'd buy a PSP to play old NES games. If I could play Punch Out on my PSP I'd be far more inclined to use it often. smile

I think Sony's concern has less to do with emulation and more with piracy. I assume that this program loader could also execute PSP games copied to a mem stick.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I think Sony's concern has less to do with emulation and more with piracy. I assume that this program loader could also execute PSP games copied to a mem stick.

Well, floating around the emulation sector is the thought that it won't be too long before you'll be able to 'dump' a UMD to your memory stick and actually play it from there. I hear that you can download actual games if you know where to look, so it is possible. You just can't play them yet.

However, playing a game from the memory stick offers one advantage - the console no longer has to constantly spin that CD drive. As thus, the battery life should be improved.

But it'll be used for piracy instead, cause that's how everybody thinks. biggrin

And as far as the instructions go, yes, they are in Babelfish English (IE: crap), but ultimately the program is looking for the eboot file that comes in any program/emulator.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 06:55:32 PM »

Personally I think Sony should allow the emu and homebrew scene to utilise the PSP. If they get a working Snes emulator for the 1.5, and by buying GTA or Burnout I lose the ability to use it, I won't be buying them. I don't think that many people are interested in the piracy angle, especially at the price of the mem sticks, but being able to play old classics interests me a lot more. There is already Doom 1 and 2 available. At the moment I use the PSP more as a media player then a games machine.

And if Sony wasn't so anti homebrew they would have allies in the fight against piracy.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 11:57:12 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Personally I think Sony should allow the emu and homebrew scene to utilise the PSP. If they get a working Snes emulator for the 1.5, and by buying GTA or Burnout I lose the ability to use it, I won't be buying them. I don't think that many people are interested in the piracy angle, especially at the price of the mem sticks, but being able to play old classics interests me a lot more. There is already Doom 1 and 2 available. At the moment I use the PSP more as a media player then a games machine.

And if Sony wasn't so anti homebrew they would have allies in the fight against piracy.

there is a working SNES emulator, while at this moment the sound isnt 100%, it is getting closer and closer especially with the new discovery that the cpu speed can be changed to 333mhz.  Just so I know, what are the guidelines on discussion of emulators in this forum?  I dont want to break any rules here.  Anyway, this exploit is great news and has helped me decide to keep my PSP.  I'm excited to see what programmers are going to come out with.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 12:21:26 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Just so I know, what are the guidelines on discussion of emulators in this forum?  I dont want to break any rules here.

We make the assumption that when you are talking about emulation, you are talking about games you already legally own or else talking about it in an more general way.  That's okay.  Posting links to ROM's or warez sites is not ok.

Our policy from the Code of Conduct states:
Piracy/Warez Links
Any links to piracy, warez or mentioning where to go to get information to do such things (even using creativity in posts to let people know where to go) is not permitted. Discussions can happen, but any links will not be tolerated. 1st violation will result in the link being removed and a warning being issued to the offender. 2nd violation will result in the same thing in addition to a 1 week suspension. 3rd violation will result in an immediate banning of the offender. Use your head – use the PM function.

Stay within those boundaries and there's no problem.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 12:51:22 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Anyway, this exploit is great news and has helped me decide to keep my PSP.  I'm excited to see what programmers are going to come out with.

Oddly enough, one of the main reasons I purchased my PSP was for all the 'extras' it would eventually offer due to the extremely open-endedness of the hardware (how anybody with a PC can look at the memory card), and how Sony left it open for others to possibly download programs to a memory card to play.

From my understanding, there's a chess program floating around. No AI yet (that I know of), but homebrewed stuff like that is really cool to see on a console.

Also - it feels really wrong (and yet so right) to be playing stuff like Super Mario Bros. on a Sony console. biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 01:09:29 AM »

Yes, this does work...but it sure is a pain to have to use the swap thing. I wish I had a 1.0 version PSP...no swap is necessary for them. frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 02:08:49 AM »

Im just curious, how are discussions about something on, say...

handled?  I recall it wasnt allowed on GG, but there are a lot of differences here (for the better, IMO), like being able to post prices in the trading forum.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 02:04:03 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Yes, this does work...but it sure is a pain to have to use the swap thing. I wish I had a 1.0 version PSP...no swap is necessary for them. frown

There's a no swap version available now at all the major sites.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Sterling"
Quote from: "Hetz"

There's a no swap version available now at all the major sites.

Well, technically the no swap version still requires you to pull out your memory card, place it into your PC, and run a batch file to swap the two files that would normally be on two seperate memory cards.

If there's something else instead, I haven't seen it.

And here's a random question - why is it more fun (at least to me) to play the old gaming classics on a platform other than the original (PC, PSP, etc) instead of playing it on the original source? Is it because of how bad the old consoles look on a giant screen TV, or is it because of some of the more advanced functions now available like save states and speed up functions?

Unbreakable - talking about that site is still a no-no, as it's still a very gray area. It still falls into the same category as MAME, as while odds are against most of the games available in that collection aren't in arcades anymore (and as thus aren't making them money), most companies still want their copyrights respected.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

The main attraction for me is playing a classic RPG on my PSP. If they released FF 4 - 6, I'd buy it. Nostralga is another reason. I've played Chaos and Lords of Midnight on GBA, and both are still great fun.

Edited to add that I'm getting fed up with the current fad of great graphics, boring game. I tend to find myself playing older games a lot more, as there was a lot more in them. With all the hype of HD TV, next gen, etc, I'm just fed up with endless hype. That's probably the main reason why I'm a lot more interested in handhelds.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »

I messed around with this a little bit earlier today.  Kinda nifty, but I can't see me using it all that often (although I might need something to do with my PSP since it's taking so damn long for publishers to come out with decent games for the system).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And here's a random question - why is it more fun (at least to me) to play the old gaming classics on a platform other than the original (PC, PSP, etc) instead of playing it on the original source? Is it because of how bad the old consoles look on a giant screen TV, or is it because of some of the more advanced functions now available like save states and speed up functions?

Thats easy- you now have it portable.  

I think a lot of it is also people like flexiblility; thats why Windows platforms became popular, as well as the Palm and PocketPC devices.  The PSP has a lot going for it, hardware-wise: it has 802.11b wireless, a USB port, and uses flash ram.  If it could run standard CDs, it would be a mini-PC.
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 03:48:15 AM »

One thing I mentioned while discussing this with a friend-

I would expect this to eventually use a scheme similiar to "PSOLoader" on the GameCube, where you have the program access the network (using 802.11b, in the PSP's case), and load its files from there.

That way, it entirely negates the need to buy high capacity memory cards, since you can then just load the files from a network file server.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 07:40:49 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
One thing I mentioned while discussing this with a friend-

I would expect this to eventually use a scheme similiar to "PSOLoader" on the GameCube, where you have the program access the network (using 802.11b, in the PSP's case), and load its files from there.

That way, it entirely negates the need to buy high capacity memory cards, since you can then just load the files from a network file server.

*drool*

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 08:22:17 PM »

I was poking around on the various sites, but it seems the idea is still too new.

I don't think anyone has worked out how to access the wireless NIC; they are focused right now on getting the loader to boot without requiring a memcard swap.  Seems it has a high potential to burn out the mem card...
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 09:32:56 PM »

Looks like people around the net are saying that their memory cards are becoming corrupted when using this swap.  Mainly due to pulling the card out while it is still being read/written.  To avoid this, never take the card out when the orange light is flashing.  Also, it appears it is happening to some people because they are leaving their PSP on sleep while on a rom select menu of an emulator.  So, to be safe, I would exit any homebrew programs before putting your PSP to sleep.  I have used this card swap will over 30 times now and have had zero problems.  So just be cautious and follow the instructions for the swap exploit and you should be fine.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 11:52:23 PM »

That's the only problem I've seen with the current swap trick - you do risk doing damage to your memory card if you swap it while the PSP is reading it. Just like how all USB devices yell at you if you unplug them without 'turning them off' first.

As far as the sleep mode though, I just don't get the reasoning. Doesn't the PSP write some memory dump to the memory stick when you go into sleep mode? Isn't that how it pops back up wherever you were in a game when it comes back on?

I have noticed though that sleep mode doesn't always work for the emulator I use. Most of the time it does, but other times my PSP acts like I completely turned it off. *shrugs*

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2005, 06:03:21 AM »

I was just repeating what I have read in other forums, I dont know anything about the programming so I dont know the reasoning behind it.  All I know is I'm not going to risk ruining my memory stick by putting the PSP to sleep in a rom select menu.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »

Sega Genesis support just appeared out of the blue, and early reports state that it works very well.

But they say that Gunstar Heroes plays perfectly. And that's all I needed to hear. biggrin

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »

Yes!  That is awesome news!  I still love the Genesis.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2005, 12:27:53 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Holy crap, it works.

As far as I can figure, it's based around the old fashioned swap trick. In short, you need two memory cards. The first memory card, when you run the program, forces the PSP to reboot.

Then you quickly swap memory cards, and at which point emulation becomes possible.

I'm having issues testing to see how well this actually works (but I have to admit I've gotten 'unlicenced' code to run on my PSP), as my usual sites are utterly dying under a total slam of people who want to get their emulation on thier PSP.

But it does work.

The sad thing is every one of these hacks requires all kinds of hoops to jump through and in the end, the payoff is just not worth it.  I'll just stick with playing PSP games on my PSP.
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »

I thought I read someone had gotten it to work without needed a swap, but you needed a PC to place a file on the card.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: