http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uplink - Uh....whoa  (Read 3882 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

Why has nobody told me just how damned cool Uplink is?!  That may be the coolest game I've played in a LONG time!  I'm trying out Gametap and stumbled into this game.  Are there others like this?   nod

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:16:48 PM »

Yeah really great game, I have it on cd-rom and it's really immersive.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »

I think TML wrote a review on it once...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 05:09:51 PM »

Oh that TML review   icon_lol

I played it a TON with a roomie.  We were able to hack into a bank successfully and obtain everything we desired.  You think it's cool now . . . but start getting into the story.  LOVE Uplink!  Such a crazy cool game   icon_cool

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 03:18:37 AM »

exoSyphon has some similar hacker games. You can get all of their games for $30 + mods or $10 for Digital Hazard & $20 for BS Hacker (both come with free game of Blue Sky)

A gamershell review of Digital Hazard and BS Hacker where they seem to like them.

I found these under pseudohacking games on moby.

I've just dabbled a bit with uplink and like it so might have to check these out too.

Or play

Hacker! I never made it that for on the C64 version. Never knew what I was doing. Maybe it would be easier now.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:08:19 PM »

I decided to check this one out after reading the thread here and am enjoying it also. The one thing I'm confused on, which there wasn't any detail on, was the different connections you can make on the world map. I got the sense that making multiple connections before connecting to your target gave you more time to get a trace. But I wasn't totally sure since other times, despite making many connections, the trace time was rather short (like 30 seconds).

Do connections get "old" after awhile, so if you use the same ones they are no longer as effective? I notice as you take on new missions you can keep adding those new connections to the world map.

Or is the number of connection you can effectively make based off your computer CPU/modem or any other computer hardware? Such as if I make too many connection I've stressed the limits of the computer making traces easier.

I also did get caught one time, and paid the fine, and wonder if that impacts the trace time if I connect through that location? If I get caught is that location now basically unusable?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:01 PM »

One, hacking a system and not getting caught makes it easier for you to link through it and longer for the trace to go through.  The more footprints you leave on a system, the faster any traces that go through the system will go.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »

does anyone have this / willing to trade / sell / give?
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:32:06 PM »

I had the British version and gave it away as a freebie to someone on this board a while back.

Was a lot of fun!
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 24, 2006, 08:25:45 PM

does anyone have this / willing to trade / sell / give?

You can buy it directly from Introversion here: http://www.uplink.co.uk/.  You can also download the demo from here, too.

Uplink was a great game in a series of great games by Introversion.  I wholly recommend their most recent title, Defcon.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »

And once you buy Uplink, there's a major mod out there called Onlink which seems to give the player a whole ton of more options and little doodads for their hacking device of choice.

Oddly enough, I think we talked about this game before here, as I have memories of pulling the demo a long time ago.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 05:29:21 AM »

Thread necromancy for the win.

I've been playing this game for a couple of days now and I'm up to a point where I'm rated as "Skilled" and they're giving me tasks like tracking bank loans and getting bank balances.

There's just one problem with this.. no matter how many times I hack in to admin menus, steal passwords, and get into these people's accounts and look at their loan balances.. it always says "Can you please verify your results? We have reason to believe they're not accurate."

Well that's gonna be a damn problem since there are no jobs left that I can earn money on except these bank loan ones and they refuse to let me finish them.

WTF do I do? I've been over it a thousand times now. There just isn't anything else. I've written down every password for all the account numbers in 6 different banks, but no amount of viewing all their information lets me finish any of these loan related jobs.

I'm really close to just deciding to steal a ton of money from people and see what happens cause at this point the game, which was awesome up till now, is just kind of pissing me off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:33:06 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »

It's been a while.  Can you view the specific records?  It may be expecting you to open up a detail page rather than writing stuff down by hand.

This is one of those games I need to revisit- I never did any of the story missions, and ended up getting bored once I figured out how to plunder banks.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 05:48:19 AM »

I can't view any specific transfer records because of a proxy.

I have a proxy disabler, but it's the 1.0 one and it doesn't work at any of the banks, so I can't get anymore money.

Pretty pissed off as at this point I've got probably 8 to 10 hours in the damn game.

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:31 PM »

Without knowing the specifics of your mission I would just suggest going [urlhttp://guide.modlink.net/section3.php]here[/url].

I would also recommend not getting a disabler of any sort go bypass, staying away from the dictionary breaker, and when you buy software get the last version. It does make it hard at the start but it's one of those things that pays off in the end.

Should add that I've never had the need to view the transfer info when all they wanted was the balance or loan balance. It's all there on the statement page.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:50:49 PM by Andrew Wonser » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:51 PM »

So let me get this straight...you're a hacker breaking into banks to steal people's money, and you have to buy your software?  That doesn't seem quite right. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »

thin j - sounds like the game is entirely broken and boring - just give up on it

and by the way since youre not using it anymore you should send it my way smile
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2007, 08:47:51 PM

So let me get this straight...you're a hacker breaking into banks to steal people's money, and you have to buy your software?  That doesn't seem quite right. 

It's kind of an interesting structure.  You are actually using a remote computer rig to do your hacking... the game functions as the client application to the server.

If a hack gets traced back, it's essentially the company giving up your user info in order to protect themselves.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 01:37:12 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser
Should add that I've never had the need to view the transfer info when all they wanted was the balance or loan balance. It's all there on the statement page.

Then the game's bugged and broken. I have two jobs right now that both require me to break into banks and look at loan balances.

I get in, I look at everything there is to look at, delete the logs of my entry, and then get out.

Then when I send the email saying I'm finished they tell me I'm wrong and to "verify my information"

My favorite one right now is one where they tell me someone recently received a very large transfer. I get in and there's one transfer for $800,000. So I check the IP and account number and I break into that bank to get the name of the person who sent the money just like the job email asks me to.

I get the name.

They tell me "I don't believe that person is responsible. Please verify your information"

That might not be exact, but that's what it tells me. I've now looked into every single account on all the banks the guy received transfers from, not just the big transfer, and no matter what I do the job doesn't end and I never get my money.

Fuck this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 01:39:49 AM by Thin_J » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:22 AM »

Did you check if there is a patch?  That might have been fixed, like, years ago.  (if you did... um... nevermind)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 03:35:56 AM »

Can I play this game and pretend that I'm Chloe O'Brien?  icon_biggrin
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »

This thread convinced me to give it a try (Gametap).  It seems like a pretty cool concept.  I'm early on..maybe 4 missions or so into it..and I can not hack a system without being caught.  I connect through the world map, make a bunch of jumps before the final connection, get into the system, extract the information I need (copy, delete, or whatever it asks), and then jump over to the admin page and delete the logs, getting out before the traceback is completed.  But when I disconnect, I keep getting the message that I've been caught and now I've been fined as well.

Is the trace meter not accurate?  If I get out at 80% (when the alarm is going off), is that too late?  Because I was operating under the assumption that the meter had to reach 100% for the trace to be completed.

I've been putting resource priority on the password cracker and file copier, so the trace detector gets only ~20%.  Could that be the problem?

Otherwise, I like the game.  I just can't figure out why I keep getting caught.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »

Quote from: DonD on May 09, 2007, 01:49:25 PM

Do you get caught immediately? Or do you get caught a few 'days' afterwards?

Keep in mind that when you link around the world, you leave traces of your existence on those PCs (basically your forwarding IP address of the next computer in the line). Once you get past the most basic of hacks, you need to backtrack a 'hop' or two down the line and delete the forwarding log to the next PC down.

See, the cops are looking at those logs to figure out whose been doing all the hacking. Those logs give you away after a day or so of game time.

In short - make a connection through your testing computer. After you do any hack, hack into that testing computer and delete all the logs contained within. You'll be safe then.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 09, 2007, 01:37:12 AM

Quote from: Andrew Wonser

Then the game's bugged and broken. I have two jobs right now that both require me to break into banks and look at loan balances.

I get in, I look at everything there is to look at, delete the logs of my entry, and then get out.

Then when I send the email saying I'm finished they tell me I'm wrong and to "verify my information"

My favorite one right now is one where they tell me someone recently received a very large transfer. I get in and there's one transfer for $800,000. So I check the IP and account number and I break into that bank to get the name of the person who sent the money just like the job email asks me to.

I get the name.

They tell me "I don't believe that person is responsible. Please verify your information"

That might not be exact, but that's what it tells me. I've now looked into every single account on all the banks the guy received transfers from, not just the big transfer, and no matter what I do the job doesn't end and I never get my money.

Fuck this.
I have to ask, are you just replying without typing in the amounts or the name? As in I found out that the guy has a loan for 2000 and just reply to the email like I would do if say they wanted me to destroy a file? Rather than typing the 2000 in the email reply itself.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 07:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 09, 2007, 06:03:22 PM

Quote from: DonD on May 09, 2007, 01:49:25 PM

Do you get caught immediately? Or do you get caught a few 'days' afterwards?

Keep in mind that when you link around the world, you leave traces of your existence on those PCs (basically your forwarding IP address of the next computer in the line). Once you get past the most basic of hacks, you need to backtrack a 'hop' or two down the line and delete the forwarding log to the next PC down.

See, the cops are looking at those logs to figure out whose been doing all the hacking. Those logs give you away after a day or so of game time.

In short - make a connection through your testing computer. After you do any hack, hack into that testing computer and delete all the logs contained within. You'll be safe then.

I would always start my connections with Internic, since once you hack it (Like the test server) it stays that way. So that when I need to delete a log (With the latest Deleter) I just go to one place which takes me just a few seconds. Then I'll hit Uplink Internal and my Bank. I've also found that the length between hops matters. So one connection that is right next to another will be quicker than one that is cross-continent.

The trace is another thing that must be upgraded as soon as possible. The lower the version the more lag there will be between giving you a projected timer (The one in the "()") and the real one. I would also aim, even after getting the latest version, to disconnect at 5 seconds at the least, more if it's a secure target like a government machine or bank. Maybe something else to keep in mind, though I haven't tested it, is that your tracer is fighting your other programs for the CPU so if you have more programs open the worse it is going to perform. Much like when the breaker goes slower (Which is verified) with more things open. Which is the reason you will end up upgrading to more CPU is both quantity and speed to keep the strain from becoming too much. It wasn't unusual for me to be running all the bypasses, plus the tracer, plus a breaker/decypher, and maybe a few more at once. I haven't even tried the LAN hacks yet so that may add even more.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:40:28 PM by Andrew Wonser » Logged
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 08:18:54 PM »

I get detected immediately by the host when I disconnect.  I've been deleting the logs from the host.  Are you saying I should leave those logs and delete the logs from one of the other servers I bounce through?

As I said, I've been pushing processor power away from the tracer, and I suspect it's not giving me accurate updates, but I don't get detected until I disconnect, so I'm not exactly convinced that it's the tracer lag.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Orpheo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 09:38:38 PM »

Yeah, the traceback (after you log off, not the one where they're trying to find you as you're hacking) is actually simulated, it's not just a countdown till you're caught.  It's actually simulating the corporate IT guy hacking (or legitimately logging into if it's owned by the same company) every system you bounced through and looking up your log entry, then going back from there.  Pretty cool.  Later on you get missions to do the same thing.  So you only have to break one link in the chain, and InterNIC is an excellent place to do it since.  It also means that bouncing through systems owned by the company you're hacking is worthless, since the time it will take to find your record on those systems will be close to nothing.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »

One thing that will help you out is to pick an internal machines to hack. Log into one, put up a monitor disabler, break the password, log in and immediately log out. If done successfully it will have created a jump that is tougher to trace through than just a normal machine. You will know it has worked if either: You do not see the your password has been revoked screen after logging off or that machine on the map now has dashes around it like your bank. Repeat as much as you like. I believe that the password will eventually be revoked but have a good day or two of exploiting that machine.

As far as deleting logs on the computer that I am hacking. The only time I bother is when I intend to destroy it or maybe if its a bank.

Another thing since I am here. If you do intend to destroy a computer, or just the files, remember that it is far easier to do through the console. I can only imagine the headache it would be to delete each record individually. Also while using the console know that your commands stack just like on any normal computer. So my general attack after entering the console will be to go into the logs and delete them and while it is in that process I start entering commands for each new task. Which would be: cd .. / cd usr / delete / cd.. / cd sys / delete / shutdown . Then all I have to do is wait. You don't even have to wait for the computer to restart all the way to the point where you are kicked off, just to the point where it logs off. You will also have to wait about a day, watch for it on the news, before you can collect.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »

Urge to replay game rising...

noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »

Yeah, I bought this one direct from Introversion a couple of years ago (before the direct download thing was a reality). Uplink had a great concept but the difficulty really ramps about about a third of the way through and I never got past that point.
lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

Well what about that - the name sounded familiar so I checked my Stardock membership. Assuming that Uplink  - Hacker Elite is the same game or a sequel?

I got this as part of my Drengin membership so if any of you guys belong to Stardock (particularly from the early Drengin days) you may find you own it already.

Or else it is available for 1 count it 1 token.

exosyphen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

Hello everyone,

Check out our fresh release :
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,20135.0.html

Enjoy smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

Quote from: lakers1 on May 10, 2007, 09:27:47 PM

Well what about that - the name sounded familiar so I checked my Stardock membership. Assuming that Uplink  - Hacker Elite is the same game or a sequel?

I believe that's the full name of the game. I could be wrong though.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »

It's basically a rename of the same product. The only difference, that I can remember, between Uplink and Hacker Elite is that Elite comes with a bonus disc.

I would also add that Stardock (Through Strategy First), while a distributer of the game, appears not to give any of the money to Introversion. Not exactly how that works out but going through the forums it appears to be the case.
exosyphen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 06:39:46 PM »

Strategy First first gets paid by StardDock. We work with Stardock and they pay way ahead the agreed schedule.

Strategy First is not paying anyone. Bankruptcy protection, or something like that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: