http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 04:07:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating Supreme Commander  (Read 1830 times)
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »

I bought Supreme Commander Gold last night....and I have never had so much trouble trying to update a game than I have with this one. Everytime I go into GPGOnline, it downloads a patch, applies it, then shuts down. I go back into it, and it re-downloads the same patch, reapplies the same patch, then shuts down. Is there a trick or something to patching Supreme Commander or Supreme Commander Foreged Alliance? I am wanting to play through the campaign of the first game, but I cannot figure out how to update it. And as far as playing online goes, I cannot even get into the game because it keeps updating the game over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
baelthazar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »

Are you sure it is the same patch and are you sure it is applying it when it shuts down?

THQ has one of the WORST patching schemes I have seen. This is the same way with Company of Heroes and Dawn of War. You have to have the program DL the patch, then it quits, then you rinse and repeat. There are also very few "cumulative" patches, so you end up with a year+ of patching.

You may try to DL some of the patches, particularly the first one, from a place like Filefront.com or fileplanet.com. They have actual separate versions of patches you can get without going to GPGnet.

Bael
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »

I think I finally just got it all fixed....the GPG program downloader had to download, update, shut down a bout 10 times. I searched the net looking for the latest versions for Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance. I really only want the updated version of SC because I wanna go through the campaign. But it was still a bit hard to find it.

But, I think I am finally updated....finally.

Chris

Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »

I had the same problem, glad you got it resolved. I love the game and still play it. FYI, SC: Forged Alliance adds a lot too.

End of line.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »

I actually got Forged Alliance also (I got the Gold Edition). I am only wanting to run through the campaigns of the original. I remember reading in that long thread (I believe it was on these boards) that it was possible to change the UI layout....how do I do that?

Thanks

Chris

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »

In the original Supreme Commander, you could cycle through different interface layouts by holding ALT and pressing the up and down cursor keys.  That may hold true in Forged Alliance, but I like the default interface so much that I've never tried.

-Autistic Angel
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »

I have an even better problem with the update system for supcom.

Everytime the GPGnet client itself gets an update it causes a forced restart of my computer. Awesome.  It's not instantaneous or anything, but it brings up a five minute countdown that can't be aborted.

Drives me friggin nuts if I don't play the game for a while and there's multiple GPGnet client updates.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: