http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 12:32:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update usuing WiFi on PS 3 may corrupt DATA  (Read 538 times)
outfit79
Gaming Trend Reader

Rollin on Titanium

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »

This just in from Sony, I received an email from them. i had wrote to them in regards to my PS 3 going down after the 3.0 update.  I was informed by Sony that," Typically, when downloading the update one’s Internet Connection can become unstable-especially for those who use a wireless connection-which results in the loss of data; consequently, the data for the PLAYSTATION®3 System Software Update becomes corrupt during the download process, thereby affecting the PLAYSTATION®3 system in a negative manner."To overcome this issue, you will need to re-upload the PLAYSTATION®3 System Software Update on to your PLAYSTATION®3 system using a USB Mass Storage Device such as a USB flash drive so that you can overwrite the corrupted data.

Has any one else ever seen this? If this true why do they give you the option ....  i have done some research on problems witht he new updates and have found that alot of 60 gig PS 3 went down after the new update and other models. I was more concerned with the 60 gig backward compatable since that is what I have.  Any one else have these issues or am i the only one that suffered from this ...   

Quit being boring, Live it Up!!!!
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »

I use WiFi for the PS3 and I've never had any issues.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 22, 2009, 09:27:22 PM

I use WiFi for the PS3 and I've never had any issues.

same, tho, yeah, i can believe it happens (& not just with the ps3)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »

Sounds like a BS answer.  There is no way they do a firmware load without checking some type of hash/crc/ecc on the download.  In fact I would be shocked if they were using some type of data transport that didn't guarantee end to end data protection.  I would say memory corruption or hard disk corruption after download would be a much bigger concern. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 22, 2009, 10:13:41 PM

Sounds like a BS answer.  There is no way they do a firmware load without checking some type of hash/crc/ecc on the download.  In fact I would be shocked if they were using some type of data transport that didn't guarantee end to end data protection. 

I totally agree. If Sony isn't using ANY sort of hash/crc/ecc checking on something as absolutely vital as a BIOS update...then they're dumber than I give them any sort of credit for. There's no way they're that stupid.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »

Seeing as how it first downloads the update and then 'validates' the update before installing it, it sure seems like something of that nature is going on.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 22, 2009, 10:13:41 PM

Sounds like a BS answer.  There is no way they do a firmware load without checking some type of hash/crc/ecc on the download.  In fact I would be shocked if they were using some type of data transport that didn't guarantee end to end data protection.  I would say memory corruption or hard disk corruption after download would be a much bigger concern. 

okay, i see what you're saying, & stand corrected (i'd always assumed there were checks going on during transfer, which would indeed make this seem bogus)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: