http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming PSP Titles?  (Read 2339 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:27:27 PM »

Fun to see all the upcoming DS titles that people are looking forward to, so what hope is there for the PSP?  I'm currently annoyed at the PSP, so what fun stuff is coming down the road?

Fun ones that I've seen:

- Valkyrie Profiles looks the best of what's coming, but I'm not sure an older Playstation conversion will hold up...
- Metal Gear Solid Boss (not sure of the title)

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:38:02 PM »

The ones I'm most interested in are Loco Roco, Every Extend Extra, and (possibly) Lumines II.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:58:15 PM »

All ports that take too long to load and have features cut out.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:31 PM »

The U.S. date for Loco Roco is like, in September...while they get it in June for Europe, SO, import Loco Roco if you want to get it in June biggrin  Just a heads up.  I know I am.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »

All ports that take too long to load and have features cut out.

That's a given for 99% of the PSP titles.  I was wondering what other games may show up, if any...

That would be funny if it weren't so true though.

---
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

I'm a little worried about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth based on a review of the import version.  Here's the link.  They have a couple of specific complaints that sound worrisome:
The first and foremost apparent issue with Lenneth is the sprite filtering. Basically instead of making the game show a lot of pixels like the PS version, theyíve decided to use a filter and blur everything. While this may look ok when characters are at a distance, whenever characters come close to the screen it looks absolutely dreadful and all you see is a bunch of blurry messes talking to each other. This blur filter further detriments the game by completely blurring all the text in the game. Yes, rather than erase all the text bubbles and replace text with font according to the PSP resolution like every other rpg on the system, TOSE decided to just leave the original text alone and stretch it to fill the PSP screen while blurring it to remove pixels. The overall result is that every time oneís eyes fix on the text, everything becomes blurry and just looks terrible.

The next problem with the game is the loading. While the PS original wasnít free of loading, the PSP has made it even worse and at times doubled or tripled the original load times. This is incredibly unforgivable considering the game is now on a handheld where it will often be played while on the go and those playing it wonít have time to sit through long load sections. One example of TOSEís poor programming is the standard menu screen thatís used for everything from equipping weapons to saving oneís game. In the original VP, hitting triangle would instantly bring up the menu, but now in TOSEís Lenneth, hitting triangle results in a 2-3 second black screen until finally a horribly stretched menu appears and then finally when exiting out of the menu and back to the game players must sit through another 2-3 second black screen before finally returning to the game. Considering how vital menu usage is in rpgs, this is just inexcusable and just another example of TOSEís poor programming abilities.

The last couple of problems in TOSEís port are the slowdown and FMV scenes. While the original game mightíve had a little slowdown here and there, Lenneth now has random bouts of slowdown while running around dungeons or towns. Itís especially jarring as Lenneth herself will be running quickly at 60fps and then suddenly the game will chop down to 15fps for a few seconds. Low-budget FMV scenes have also replaced certain in-game cutscenes along the way and while they arenít bad, the exclusion of the original scenes is a bit disheartening, since players wonít be able to see the true version of VP that won so many awards back in the day.

That makes it sound like a pretty sloppy port.  I hope they clear these things up for the US release but they sound like major issues that aren't easily fixable in such short time.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »

Yeah, in regards to Valkyrie Profile, all I've heard is that it's somewhat of a sloppy port with added CGI movies.  But I trudged through the somewhat sloppy ports of Chrono Trigger, FFVI, and FFIV on the PSX.  And, even if it's not exactly well done on the PSP, I'm such a lover of VP that I know I'll at least enjoy it due to having it be portable.

Other upcoming games I guess I could just mention the new Metal Gear: Portable Ops looks incredible and the hands-on E3 impressions seem extremely favorable.  Final Fantasy: Crisis Core is somewhat of an enigma, but it's a FF game so whatever.

Does Legend of Heroes 2 count?  Hah

But really, right now, I have enough PSP games to last me a good long while.

Ah!  Also forgot to mention Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light . . . which looks INTERESTING but I'm not so much really hyped at all for it.

AH!  And also forgot to mention Powerstone Collection - the Powerstone games were a blast on the Dreamcast.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »

I'm a little worried about Valkyrie Profile Lenneth based on a review of the import version.

Ouch.  Guess I won't look forward to this.  I never played the original, but the review sounds horrible.

---
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:28:54 PM »

I can't wait for Powerstone on the PSP.  I put so many hours into that on the Dreamcast.  Thing is, I don't really know anyone nearby who has a PSP so the only way I'd be able to play multi is if it supports infrastructure mode.  And I'm not sure if it does.

I'm actually very, very curious about the upcoming Playstation One emulation for the PSP.  That could be either the coolest thing ever or a buggy mess.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:28:35 PM »

As a launch PSP owner, I'm starting to come to grips with my denial that the UMD is a piece of crap.  Very few games on the PSP have been able to have solid enough programming to avoid long load times.  It seems like the UMD format is not developer friendly, and requires a talented team to work around its limitations for gaming.  I feel like I was duped into buying what I thought was a gaming platform, only to realize what I really bought was a poorly designed wanna be multi-media device that's not really gamer friendly.  Long load times on a portable gaming platform are stupid.  I've owned a few games that play well on the PSP (Syphon Filter), but most share long loading times, which kind of kill the pick up and playability of the PSP for me.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »

For what it's worth, Daxter is an incredibly fast-loading PSP game.  Platformers aren't everyone's favorite game but it really is a fun, well-designed game.  It's clearly a game that's tailor-made for the PSP's hardware and not a port.

But it's also discouraging because after you see how great Daxter looks and how there's almost *no* loading times it just makes other PSP games seem sloppy.  I wonder what the developers knew that other devs seem to be missing.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »

<rant on>

I tend to agree about the PSP Roguetad.  In some ways, the PSP has a ton of promise.  But its held back by questionable design decisions, like the UMD drive, a poorly designed analog control in a bad location, only one analog control, etc.  The vaunted PSP screen also isn't able to refresh quite quick enough to be totally smooth in games as well.

How many games in the systems library aren't marred by load times, or other flaws?  Syphon Filter, one of the top games for the system, has an awkward control scheme that dates back years.  Maybe Daxter is a good example of a game done well, but its the only one.

Field Commander, another game I hoped would be excellent, couldn't even surpass the first Advance Wars in gameplay features, and goes for a pretty bland 3d look, that makes the game harder to play if anything.  Online options for Field Commander look incredible at first, until you realize that most likely you'll be playing all your games against strangers that will drop out when they start to lose.  Where is the friends ability?

So, we have a system with a few pretty good games, and mostly long loading PS2 ports that are missing features, and have control schemes that don't work smoothly.

Devil can debate all he wants, and maybe the system is good for him replacing a PS2 while his wife watches American Idol, but I just don't see it living up to its promise.  For a quick game of baseball, its okay, but I'd rather fire up the PS2.  I can load the PS2 quicker anyway smile.  I want a portable with games that are only on the portable, even if they are ports of older portable games.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful of some good games coming out for it, and I was hoping there would be some good ideas here.  I'm doubtful that the PS emulation will work well though, probably control issues, or graphics that really look dated, even compared to the DS's.

I guess the PSP was decent for letting my son watch Batman on a 7 hour car ride for a bit.  That's pretty much the main use for me so far, kid entertainment in brief spurts.  I think I may be eBaying my PSP soon to fund the DS Lite at this point.  The bad Valkryie review may help sink it.

<rant off>

---
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 09:15:37 PM »

I'm optimistic (to a fault) about the PSP, and I have gotten value out of it traveling on business, but it seems uneccessarily handicapped by the decision to use the UMD format.  I guess Sony wanted to launch a new media format, and used the PSP as the vehicle to do so.  Now the UMD as a media format seems to have received the death sentence, but PSP gamers are stuck with its limitations.  I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the PS3 and BlueRay.

The PSP should be the portable gaming platform of choice for sports games, but the load times don't help.  Try creating a custom player in WWE Smackdown or MLB The Show and you could get up, go outside, talk to the neighbors, and come back in before your character loaded.  Or see how long you play NBA Live 06 without going nuts from the load times on the replays (and turn them off).  Hopefully the 2007 sports titles will be better optimized.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »

Hopefully the 2007 sports titles will be better optimized.

At least the latest MLB: The Show had the career mode in it, which is a start.  The PSP version was still missing half the features, but at least it had half the features this time.  Winning Eleven without the Master League mode on the PSP, why bother?  Even the DS version coming out will have the Master League in it.

I've tried being optimistic about the system.  I've bought a bunch of games a long the way, but none of them satisfy like they should.  The PSP is never quite as good as the price I paid for it, or the $40 games.  I think I'm ready to try simple/quick again, and go back to the GBA and DS for a bit.  I think Sony should have tried to match the GBA/DS a bit more, as opposed to trying to make the PS2 portable ahead of its time, and focus a lot more on creating portable games from the ground up.

Playing Field Commander is interesting. I'm playing a strategy game on the PSP hoping that its as fun as Advance Wars, to kind of keep justifying my purchase of the PSP.  Hoping to find a game that makes the system really worth it.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »

Why is everyone railing against UMD as the source of PSP's issues?  While no doubt an utter failure as a standalone movie format, what was the alternative for gaming?  Cartridge/flash memorey systems were too expensive at the time of the PSP's launch (and still are) for the amounts of storage needed for PSP games.  And DVD is too large physically for a portable gaming device.  Maybe as flah memory prices drop we could actually see games shipped on the format, but that's down the road.  Some kind of miniature optical format was necessary and UMD seems as good as anything in that regard.  

To me the core issue is that too few companies take the time to design the games around the PSP's architecture and controls.  If you are trying to to do a port of a PS2 designed engine and/or control interface, even if the game content is unique, then you are going to run into issues.  The flip side is that the games that are designed uniquely for the PSP, many Sony published, tend to be free from many of these issues and are standout titles for the platform.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 12:17:32 AM »

Why is everyone railing against UMD as the source of PSP's issues?

I'd have rather seen another cartridge system ala the DS, but maybe more powerful like the PSP is now.  Force developers to work to the system, not just badly port games to UMD discs.  I think it was to early to bring a system like UMD down.  Its not working very smoothly, nor does it look like it will for the future.  Downloadable games to memory cards would have also worked well.  Small, fun games, like Xbox Live stuff would have worked well too.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:30:25 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Why is everyone railing against UMD as the source of PSP's issues?

I'd have rather seen another cartridge system ala the DS, but maybe more powerful like the PSP is now.  Force developers to work to the system, not just badly port games to UMD discs.  I think it was to early to bring a system like UMD down.  Its not working very smoothly, nor does it look like it will for the future.  Downloadable games to memory cards would have also worked well.  Small, fun games, like Xbox Live stuff would have worked well too.

But the DS cartridges wouldn't be big enough for the capabilities of the rest of the system.

And why doesn't UMD work smoothly?  Syphon Filter and Daxter are proof that it works just fine when games are programmed with UMD in mind.  The problem isn't UMD, it's trying to fit games that were programmed based on the specs and capabilities of the PS2 onto the less-capable PSP.  If most games were developed natively for the PSP then this wouldn't be an issue.  But as long as companies can shoe-horn their existing codebase onto another platform relatively cheaply they are going to take that avenue even when the result is a less than optimal experience.  

As to smaller games downloadable to memory cards- that is an avenue Sony has already announced they are taking but that's in addition to, vice instead of, their regular line of games.

If you want a better scapegoat try battery life since it's the reason that Sony has continued to keep the processor underclocked to 222 Mhz.  Games would play a lot smoother (and look a lot better) if the full processor speed was unlocked.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »

But the DS cartridges wouldn't be big enough for the capabilities of the rest of the system.

Why?  Because we'd lose some of the voice overs or movies for some of the games?  Why couldn't enough decent textures be fit in for games, and the logic to take advantage of them?

If most games were developed natively for the PSP then this wouldn't be an issue. But as long as companies can shoe-horn their existing codebase onto another platform relatively cheaply they are going to take that avenue even when the result is a less than optimal experience.

But more games aren't designed with the PSP in mind.  Sony tried to make a portable PS2, but failed, and the results show.  Instead of making a portable PS2, Sony should have made a better portable system with battery life, speed of operation, etc. in mind first, then attracted the developers.  Maybe Sony wouldn't have to underclock the system if the UMD was sucking all the power down.

I imagine Field Commander could have been put on a cartridge if you removed all the bad voice acting, the same for Syphon Filter.  I'd rather have the longer battery life, fast startup time, etc. of a cartridge.

I'm tired of blaming all the developers for the problems of the PSP, instead of Sony.  There are 2 or 3 games out of the entire library that work as smoothly as a portable game should, which says to me the hardware is optimal to develop for.

And just beyond the hardware, it wasn't a good decision to make a portable PS2, or a piece of hardware so close, and then cripple the input methods by removing one analog stick, and two bumpers.  

In the end, I'd have rather had a really small, slick portable Playstation, and all the Playstations games, instead of a portable PS2 type system.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 01:30:20 AM »

Why?  Because we'd lose some of the voice overs or movies for some of the games?  Why couldn't enough decent textures be fit in for games, and the logic to take advantage of them?

I'm not even sure how to respond to this- DS size carts are built around N64 era technology and texture limitations.  What good is the power of the rest of the PSP architecture if you are stuck with PS1/N64 texture limitations?  It's like asking for a PS2 that was still stuck with CD-ROMs.  

In the end, I'd have rather had a really small, slick portable Playstation, and all the Playstations games, instead of a portable PS2 type system.

Then pick up a PS One/LCD combo- relatively small and can be had for $30.  Or get a PS2 Thinline and Joytech LCD for the same price as the PSP.  What you're asking though, really, sounds like a Nintendo DS.  And the DS is a great handheld but  I really want something different from Sony in the handheld arena- not a copycat of either an existing handheld or ports of games I can play on my PS2.  There's plenty of room in the existing PSP hardware for great gameplay experiences.  A second analog stick and two more shoulder buttons might make ports better but I don't think it would cause more exclusive games to be developed for the system which is what I really want in the end.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 01:34:31 AM »

I'm not even sure how to respond to this- DS size carts are built around N64 era technology and texture limitations. What good is the power of the rest of the PSP architecture if you are stuck with PS1/N64 texture limitations? It's like asking for a PS2 that was still stuck with CD-ROMs.

I didn't claim that Sony had to use the DS Carts.  I'm sure they could have come up with something different, or even better.

There's plenty of room in the existing PSP hardware for great gameplay experiences. A second analog stick and two more shoulder buttons might make ports better but I don't think it would cause more exclusive games to be developed for the system which is what I really want in the end.

Show me what games that are coming that will take advantage of it?  The Dreamcast was cool too, but didn't get the needed support.  At least with the right control set, all the ports would play correctly smile.

Regardless, what we have now is a system that looks good on paper, but has about three games that start to take advantage of it, and few games it seems coming that take advantage of it...

What you're asking though, really, sounds like a Nintendo DS. And the DS is a great handheld but I really want something different from Sony in the handheld arena-

I just want a handheld that works as well as  DS.  I'm not 100% sold on the DS either.  Cool technology, but I really don't like Mario games, and alot of that systems games are designed around Mario, or themed similarly.  Still some excellent DS games though.

If you're happy with the PSP, fine smile.  I just find it to be a big disappointment so far, at least the implentation side.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 02:27:12 AM »

Your comparison of Field Commander to Advance Wars is fueling your dissapointment in your PSP now.

How is NHL for DS? MLB? FIFA? Any racing game that doesn't have "Mario" in the title? Burnout? Go compare Ridge Racer's of the two systems and tell me who's better?

Would you rather play Baseball or Animal Crossing? Burnout or Nintendogs? Advance Wars or wait for the original Tiger Woods to load?

This whole argument is a giant spin-fest. Pick a game and you get a clear winner almost every time. It's dead even. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Take a side depending on your games of choice but neither should be dismissed.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Sony has been in the handheld market for a little over a year. It might take some time.

It's VERY easy for Nintendo to fall back on Mario Kart and Advance Wars for their new system but these are old games and not exactly cutting edge techonology wise. Not saying that they aren't good or fun, but there's definitely NOTHING new about them. Rubber stamp for 10 years and things look great.

Sony has a new system and a new media type for a company new to handheld gaming. The fact that we can even discuss the two in the same sentance is a HUGE success for Sony. The highway of hanheld gaming is littered with failures.

I'm pretty confident that that the PSP isn't going anywhere and will only get better.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 02:33:39 AM »

It's VERY easy for Nintendo to fall back on Mario Kart and Advance Wars for their new system but these are old games and not exactly cutting edge techonology wise. Not saying that they aren't good or fun, but there's definitely NOTHING new about them. Rubber stamp for 10 years and things look great.

Which games on the PSP would you consider cutting edge, or not old games or ports?  Come on.  I guess Field Commander is "new", if you consider new a blatent poor rip off of the competition.  How long has Sypphon Filter been around, or even Jak & Daxter.  

The problem is that the PSP games aren't new either, and that they just don't play nearly as well on the PSP when they aren't loading smile.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 02:38:31 AM »

Which games on the PSP would you consider cutting edge, or not old games or ports? Come on. I guess Field Commander is "new", if you consider new a blatent poor rip off of the competition. How long has Sypphon Filter been around, or even Jak & Daxter.

Let me say it again - ONE YEAR OF EXPERIENCE!!! In that one year we've seen tremendous progress. Compare load times from launch game to now.

Besides:
The instantaneous loading of a game I don't want to play means nothing to me.

I'll gladly wait 5 seconds for a good game.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 02:42:44 AM »

I'll gladly wait 5 seconds for a good game.

I will too.  Show me one PSP game that loads in 5 seconds.  Okay, done.  Show me one that loads in 60 seconds.  You've got three of those.  Done.  How about in 2 minutes, better now.  Now add in that time when playing the game, the various stutters, or time opening the menus, etc.

So, show me a game with 5 second loads on the PSP and I'm in!!

Let me say it again - ONE YEAR OF EXPERIENCE!!!

Its been more then a year.  Even more importantly, which of the upcoming games are more then ports?  That's another issue.  How many exciting games at E3 were cool new titles?  That's what I want to here.  How many are cool new titles optimized for the PSP platform, and make good portable games.  Sell me!

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 02:44:22 AM »

If you're happy with the PSP, fine smile.  I just find it to be a big disappointment so far, at least the implentation side.

Actually, I'm disappointed in the PSP too. Hasn't lived up to my expectations.  I just put the blame on developers rather than the hardware.  I think that all an additional analog stick and buttons would give us are better *ports* but not necessarilly better games if you already have a PS2.  Most publishers, by their nature, are going to follow the path of least resistance which ends up being ports.  There isn't a whole lot of incentive to develop original content for the PSP when you could invest similar resources and put the game on the PS2 and reach a global market of 100 million vice 15 million.  I do wish Sony was more aggressive about turning down straight up PS2 ports but they don't have the first party strength that Nintendo has to fall back on.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 02:47:17 AM »

I just put the blame on developers rather than the hardware.

I think Sony made it to easy to make PS2 ports, on a system that isn't, kind of as you mentioned.  Ad to that, its probably somewhat expensive to develop for the PSP, for a smaller market.  Why?  I think one nice thing about the DS is that its probably much less expensive to develop for.  Simpler textures, geometry, no voice acting, etc.  Games come out quicker, and cheaper, and there is more incentive to develop for.  

Which system (PSP or DS) is currently dominate world wide?

---
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 02:51:34 AM »

For every decent PSP title out there, the DS has two very good to excellent games. Devil can spin it all he wants, but I think that any rational person who compares the two libraries will quickly  see how the DS crushes the PSP in terms of sheer volume of good games.

That said, there are enough very good PSP games out now to keep most gamers happy for a long time. But the DS just has more variety of titles to choose from.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 02:59:03 AM »

I'd rather wait 9 hours for a game I want to play over 1 second for a game I don't want to play!!!

So what your getting at is that this is a contest of load times?

You're right. PSP load times are worse than DS.

While we're at it why don't we go over technical limitations of the DS:
When you load up your DS with songs/TV shows/movies let me know how the load times are?

Does it go back to playing games now?

The problem you are having is that you don't own a DS so the grass is very green over there. Come on over and you'll notice the bugs and brown patches.

You'll get your Advance Wars though...and the you'll realize it's the same game you played on your GBA and be bitching that Nintendo really isn't innovating when they come out with the same games over and over. They'll always load really fast though!  Tongue

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:14:56 AM »

For every decent PSP title out there, the DS has two very good to excellent games. Devil can spin it all he wants, but I think that any rational person who compares the two libraries will quickly see how the DS crushes the PSP in terms of sheer volume of good games.

That said, there are enough very good PSP games out now to keep most gamers happy for a long time. But the DS just has more variety of titles to choose from.

You've lost your mind. biggrin

One of the 700 times we've gone over this someone went onto GameRankings and did a comparison of the two systems and.....dead even.

Go to Gamerankings and tell me how many games have over an 80% ranking for the DS? OK, now give me the same number for the PSP?

Let me save you the time: The number is 21 for both!

How could this be!!!!???!?!? Any rational person who compares the two libraries will quickly see how the DS crushes the PSP in terms of sheer volume of good games"!!!?!?

I'm spinning this?

We do this over and over and the problem is that you are personalizing the argument.

There may be better games FOR YOU on the DS.

If you want to put 400 hours into your Mario Kart and it's your favorite game, the yeah, the DS blows away the PSP. Consider that not everyonshares your opinion. I'd rather play baseball than Mario Kart. Is the DS better for that? Am I allowed to like baseball and think it's important? More important to me than even MARIO?!

Are you a big sports game player? Like racing games? Where's your DS now? It's not even close.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 03:24:22 AM »

I think Sony made it to easy to make PS2 ports, on a system that isn't, kind of as you mentioned. Ad to that, its probably somewhat expensive to develop for the PSP, for a smaller market. Why? I think one nice thing about the DS is that its probably much less expensive to develop for. Simpler         textures, geometry, no voice acting, etc. Games come out quicker, and cheaper, and there is more incentive to develop for.

Which system (PSP or DS) is currently dominate world wide?

I agree with all of the pitfalls you mentioned but I dont' think Sony had an alternative- Sony's chief way of differentiating itself in the handheld market is the power of the device.  If they backed off of that toward DS levels then what do they have left?  Nintendo has overwhelmingly dominated the handheld market for so long that at best Sony would be looking at a minimum number of third party exclusives and lots of multiplatform titles between the two.  And Nintendo is going to win the first party race.  

As for overall sales- no one is dominating.  The DS is in the lead, largely thanks to it's phenomenonal performance in Japan but the in the US it's a virtual tie despite PSP launching several months after the DS and being $100 more expensive.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 03:29:16 AM »

I'm personalizing the argument?!?!  smile  You're the one who keeps saying you don't like any DS games therefore they aren't any good. I think your interests are so narrow that you just can't see the variety of games that the DS offers. There are whole genres on the DS that aren't even represented in the PSP library.

If you want to put 400 hours into your Mario Kart and it's your favorite game, the yeah, the DS blows away the PSP. Consider that not everyonshares your opinion. I'd rather play baseball than Mario Kart. Is the DS better for that? Am I allowed to like baseball and think it's important? More important to me than even MARIO?!  

You can like baseball all you want. The games that your or I like are irrelevant to this discussion ( I actually play my PSP far more than my DS). I just don't see how anyone can objectively compare the PSP to the DS library and not see how many more good titles DS owners have to choose from.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 04:12:12 AM »

If you're getting old of Devil's blatant "fanboism" and rediculously stupid arguments against the DS, raise your hand.

Seriously dude, it's like you have some vendetta against Nintendo's formula of if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Obviously they're extremely fun games - that's why so many people keep on buying them.  I'm sure if Sony had some games like that they would do the exact same thing.

Rubber stamp games like Advance Wars and Mario Kart all you want - they're still fun games.  And they always will be.  Are you implying that the PSP has more "cutting edge technology-wise" (using your terminology) games than the DS does?  If by "cutting edge" you mean sword/hack-n-slash wise, then sure, Untold Legends and Monster Hunter win.

If you would get over the fact that yes, there have been several incarnations of Mario, and yes, there have been several Mario Kart games, you might actually play one and have a little bit of fun.  Aren't 95% of games out there really just formulas of old games anyways?  What's new in platformers like Daxter?  It's a great game . . . but what's so new or cutting-edge about it?

Your sports games comparisons aren't valid, especially that the NHL games on the PSP aren't very good.  Am I a big sports game player?  Yes.  Are there really any fantastic sports games out for the PSP?  One.

I own both systems.  I play the DS more than the PSP, though now with the latest onslaught of great PSP titles (Monster Hunter, Tales, and newly arrived DJ Max Portable) the PSP will be getting more playtime.  But this sort of vendetta against the DS and - more specifically - Nintendo is getting old.  Obviously each system has its strength of genre of games.  If your taste in games goes against what Nintendo offers, then so be it.  But quit whining about how they put out the "same game" all the time.

And I've seen a trend of these  Tongue  smilies when trying to "rip" on the DS - it's some sort of defense mechanism for you whenever someone brings up how they enjoy their DS or playing one of these "rubber stamp" games.

I don't peg you as one that enjoys playing older games.  You're always on that rift of new technology, looking for some sort of new offering that's never been released before.  Have fun with the PS3 Eyetoy card game.

I've noticed you're a GT staff member.  I hope they don't assign you to review any DS games - I would be cautious that some sort of personal preference would come into play for a score.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I just don't see how anyone can objectively compare the PSP to the DS library and not see how many more good titles DS owners have to choose from.

Well the Gamerankings comparison is one pretty objective way to compare the systems.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I just don't see how anyone can objectively compare the PSP to the DS library and not see how many more good titles DS owners have to choose from.

Well the Gamerankings comparison is one pretty objective way to compare the systems.

Well we could compare the number of games with ratings of 90% or greater (vice Devil's 80%) and then the answer is DS 4 to PSP's 0.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »

I prefer to judge the systems based on the number of Mario games they have.  I think the DS has a pretty solid lead.

Tongue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »

Do you want to play sports and racing? You'll like the PSP better.
Do you want Nintendo 1st party games? You'll like the DS.

Look at both sides.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

While we're at it why don't we go over technical limitations of the DS:
When you load up your DS with songs/TV shows/movies let me know how the load times are?

So now you're telling me that the PSP beats the DS because it plays songs and videos?  Compared to most other mp3 players, and video players, the PSP is pretty poor, and its a pain to rip stuff to it, and visually the results aren't great.  Also, to effectively make the PSP a decent video/mp3 player, you have to buy at least a 1 gig card, also adding to its cost.

The only people that watch movies on the PSP now are my kids, and if I had a DS they'd have games they could play instead.

You'll get your Advance Wars though...and the you'll realize it's the same game you played on your GBA and be bitching that Nintendo really isn't innovating when they come out with the same games over and over. They'll always load really fast though! Razz

Advance Wars did something right for one of Sony's big games to poorly copy it smile

The problem you are having is that you don't own a DS so the grass is very green over there. Come on over and you'll notice the bugs and brown patches.

Maybe, depends how cheaply you sell those games smile.  I haven't decided yet on the DS.

It seems for most people the PSP is a disappointment so far.  It may be getting better, but I'm still waiting to see what great games are coming.

The PS One emulator could be fun, if enough good games are released for it.  It looks like there will be a dedicated Killzone for the system, and that Loco Roco game could be fun.  What else?

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »

My point was that you were taking the tech to task with the load times and I threw out all the other tech that was available on the PSP. Sure, you have to put more money into it to use it but at least it's there.

This will be my argument from now until the end of time:

You want sports and racing? Get a PSP.
You want Nintendo 1st party games? Get a DS.

It's that simple.

One reason isn't better or more valid than the other. It doesn't mean one or the other is clearly better. It means what it means. Make your choice by those questions and you'll be happy with what you end up with.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »

I love my PSP and I don't see myself buying a DS.

Nintendo is making money....I think Sony is as well!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »

Nintendo is making money....I think Sony is as well!!!

I don't think Sony is making money, but I could be wrong.  I thought Sony was struggling a bit and cutting back in some areas.  I can't imagine the PS3 will help this for a bit.

You want sports and racing? Get a PSP.

If you want sports, but a mini-PS2, and get the full games smile  If you want racing, but a DS and Mario Kart, best racing game for both systems.  I'm not sold that any of the PSP racing games are actually that good on the system.

My point was that you were taking the tech to task with the load times and I threw out all the other tech that was available on the PSP. Sure, you have to put more money into it to use it but at least it's there.

The DS and PSP are game machines first though, and is what they should do best.  The DS has a little chat and doodle app not on the PSP.  Big deal.  The PSP's movie format was so successful, that all the studios are on board now...

Your argument should be:
If you want partial PS2 ports with fancy loading screens: Get a PSP
If you want games designed for actual handheld use: Get a DS

:twisted:

What good games are coming for this awesome system Devil?

---
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: