http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 09:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Untold Legends Impressions  (Read 1497 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2005, 02:31:07 AM »

Nobody seems to have any impressions about untold legends anywhere, so I thought I would post a few.

Ive played the game for about 14 hours now, and its been pretty fun. I think the reviewers were a bit hard on it. It seems like it deserves more then the average of a seven or so it got.

Graphics: good. Its kind of hard to compare very much, because the PSP games are fairly limited still, but this one still seems to use the system pretty well. The fire looks pretty good and the character models are good. Things get a little repatitive, and you start feeling like you have been places before because things are repeated so much, but still a good looking all around.

Sound: This is probably where most of my complaints lie with the game. While the sound is pretty good, the music is repetative and somewhat annoying. Everytime you enter an area with new music you almost feel like cheering because finally you get to listen to something new. Its not very catchy musice either. The sound effects are good however. Like most games of the nature you hear the same sounds over and over again. But no major complaints from this area.

General Gameplay: is good. I have had a really good time, although I havnt played alone very much yet. The multiplayer part is a blast. I have played all of my hours in multi player and I am rally glad the PSP has wireless connection. Its great to be able to play with others without being right next to eachother with a cable. The game is well worth it for mp. Its like baulder's gate without having to stay in one little area today. You can be all over the place without the screen pulling the way it does in multiplayer baulder's gate. If there is one thing I hated about baulder's gate it was that.

The classes seem limited, although ive only been able to play the knight (because ive had too much fun with him to even get a chance to switch characters yet.) One thing that has always bugged me about games like this is the way you cant choose gender. You have to be a female to be an alchemist or a scrapper, and a male to be a knight or a druid. I want to be an alchemist, but I dont like playing a chick. For some reason it just bugs me a little bit. Not a big deal, but still annoying.

Other then that the game is just downright fun. Perhaps my favorite game for the PSP so far. Im going to be playing it for quite a while I can tell. Anyone else have any impressions on it? Pretty quiet around here about it, but I think its a great game and is definatly worht picking up despite the rough reviews.
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 02:37:27 AM »

I just started it up and like it too.

Nothing earth shattering but it delivers on what you would expect.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 02:15:59 PM »

Since this thread is crossposted on OO, I've already posted a longer synopsis there.

Suffice it to say I'm having a great time with it, as is my wife.

4 thumbs up.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »

Just got it myself and it's pretty fun.  I got Return to Arms for PS2 recently but have hardly touched it.  This game seems more fun probably because RtA is almost an exact copy of Champions of Norath (which I finished co-op).  

I just wish they could implement a deeper skill/spell system for these types of games.  Why haven't we seen a game like Nox on consoles yet?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »

I'm enjoying it too, though I'm only a couple of hours in.  I'm just a sucker for the Diablo clones, no matter how bad the reviews I still have fun with 'em.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 12:11:05 AM »

Nobody seems to have any impressions about untold legends anywhere, so I thought I would post a few.

Except for right here: http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5522&highlight=untold+legends

None the less, thanks for the review.  I hadn't really seen much about multiplayer, so I was wondering.

This one got a much harder time from reviewers than it deserved.  I think they were expecting this one to be a system seller (which, statistically it still is), but it turned out to be nothing entirely new.  But I think that's what we were looking for.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 04:22:01 PM »

I broke down and picked this up yesterday too.  It definitly has an 'unpolished BG:DA' vibe to it, but it still seems fun.  The load times are horrible though...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »

due to the complete unplayability of the otherwise gorgeous dynasty warriors (you've never seen a camera worse than this - ever!), i grabbed a copy of untold legends. i gotta admit up-front, by the end of the original diablo, i'd already maxed-out on my ability to whack'n'level, to the point where i haven't played anything of that genre since (bg, norrath, whatever), so i knew ul might be a problem...

so, after a few hours in: other than the miserable music (i thought people were exaggerating, but no way - the music is soooo bland), the very long loading times (accompanied by pretty ugly art), & the very dull (so far, anyway) storyline & npcs, it's, well, just okay. graphics are very nice, the inventory thing's straightforward, the controls are fine (not having the joystick problems i've seen other people complain about, as far as cramping up). but the idea that this's the best-selling psp title so far kinda scares me (death jr, where are you?), as does the fact that it's a sony house title (tho maybe the idea's that everything that comes after this will look even that much better?)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »

as does the fact that it's a sony house title (tho maybe the idea's that everything that comes after this will look even that much better?)...

I think Sony Online Entertainment is pretty independent from the rest of the company so I don't think its representative of most internally developed Sony games.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 04:49:33 PM »

Unless something else is out by the time I get my PSP, this will be my first purchase. I love the Norath games.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 11:01:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
as does the fact that it's a sony house title (tho maybe the idea's that everything that comes after this will look even that much better?)...

I think Sony Online Entertainment is pretty independent from the rest of the company so I don't think its representative of most internally developed Sony games.

didn't know (so that's where they ship off all their bland, uninspired 'talent') - thanks...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »

Picked this one up awhile back.  I'm enjoying it!  Sure it has a fairly simplistic formula (go to area, retrieve item, return item to man/woman at city, and repeat) but I'm having a good time with it.  Maybe I can attribute my "good impression" of the game to never having played a kind of "hack-n-slash RPG" before.  There's just something addicting with my dual-wielding berzerker girlie-puff going around and chopping up monsters.  Fun stuff!

Oh, and yeah - the music is QUITE bad.  But, thankfully, I think the sound effects are quite good.  Sword swings, blocked attacks, all of that stuff sounds fairly good.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:58:53 AM »

I didn't pick this game up initially(because of reviews), but I finally talked a friend of mine to pick up a PSP and this was his first game and he loved it.  So for multiplay I bought it too

So far it is pretty good.  The sound effects are awesome, count how many footstep sounds there are.  The graphics are pretty good too.  I have zoomed in on the graphics but I can't play that way because it makes me dizzy if they only had a setting in between.    

Wasn't sure about loading times but they are okay a little long but not too bad.  This is a great game to just pick up and play so I am really enjoying it.  

Are the load times for Tiger woods as long as this one?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 03:01:15 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Maybe I can attribute my "good impression" of the game to never having played a kind of "hack-n-slash RPG" before.  There's just something addicting with my dual-wielding berzerker girlie-puff going around and chopping up monsters.

i did enjoy diablo (at least until towards the end) for what it was, & maybe multiplayer ul would make a difference...

but, as for now, i'm shelving it - just so humorless & dull & lifeless that even a very cool girlie-puff can't fix it for me...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »

So, for somebody who's enjoyed all the hack-and-slash titles in recent years (from Diablo to Champions of Norrath), and will only play this title in single player, do you think it's a worthwhile purchase?

Or should I wait until Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory which is due out next week and looks to have more single player content?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: