http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 05:28:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Untold Legends a bust?  (Read 2441 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2005, 12:41:56 PM »

Darn it -- THIS is the one game that I had preordered for today's launch.   It's getting very mediocre reviews.    

Anyone out there have it?   Should I switch to Wipeout Pure or keep this title?   It's 4 hours from when I go pick up my system, and I want to carefully choose my 1 game.....  :p
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:26:45 PM »

If you're only getting one game, I'd switch it for something else.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:34:17 PM »

Yeah, if you are only getting one game, I would stick with either Wipeout Pure or Lumines.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:13:40 PM »

Switched to wipeout pure.   I'll rent untold legends.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »

I had Lumines and Untold Legends on pre-order.  After reading the reviews, I bought Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and Metal Gear Acid.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:59:15 PM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/925740.asp

70% is hardly a bust. I think you need to look at the IGN review which really explains the flaws and boons of this game.

4.0 Presentation
Terrible opening story sequences and awkward dialog interjections early on hurt the fantasy illusion. Stick with the story, and it grows in stature.
8.0 Graphics
Lush landscapes and memorable creatures across a wildly varied world that will take you through dank dungeons, haunted forests, ancient factories, and even billowing hell-yards.
3.0 Sound
The tinkling Casio synthesizer music has to go, right away, before it loops you into unconsciousness. The slashes and crashes are strong, but not particularly varied.
8.0 Gameplay
Tight gameplay in the vein of Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance. A loose balance of charcter classes and item dispersion may turn off veterans, but new explorers will like the lighter challenge.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Great wireless gameplay and a massive set of worlds to explore. There just isn't a lot to find if you set out, although the action remains compelling.
7.6 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

If you look at the gamespot review, they wish it was the same kind of game, just with everquest or norrath on top. I'm inclined to agree.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:53:02 PM »

I played a little bit of it this morning and thought it was decent enough.  It seemed like an exact clone of Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath.   I'm guessing if you liked those you'll like this one, just don't expect anything new.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 11:13:21 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I played a little bit of it this morning and thought it was decent enough.  It seemed like an exact clone of Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath.   I'm guessing if you liked those you'll like this one, just don't expect anything new.
Do you own the game?  If so, let us know if your sentiments change...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »

My guess is that by yourself this game is just so-so, BUT with 3 others joined together for a wireless co-op goodness, that would be alot more fun!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 09:59:56 PM »

It is strange why Sony wouldn't use their Everquest brand to make this type of game since the Norrath games have been pretty successful.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 10:10:08 PM »

Judging from the reactions from various msg boards, it seems while the reviewers don't like it all that much, it seems to be a fan favorite. Many people are saying it is their favorite of their launch games that they purchased, which included Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear etc...

I think I am going to pick it up tonight.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 11:45:08 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Nth Power"
Do you own the game?  If so, let us know if your sentiments change...

I do own it and my feelings are the same after a few more hours.  It feels like an exact clone of BG:DA which isn't a bad thing.  I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, but I'd say the 7/10 reviews are pretty accurate if you've played this type of game before.  
My only complaints would be the load times and the camera feels a bit awkward using R and the D-pad instead of a right analog stick.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 12:07:31 AM »

I've still got a sealed copy and I'm trying to debate whether I should crack it open or not.  Right now I'm leaning toward no.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 08:44:57 PM »

Anybody have any additional impressions now that they've had the game for a while?  I'm really tempted to pick it up just to do some coop with a friend who'll be visiting next week, but I've heard so many mixed things...

How bad are the load times on average?  How often does it have to load?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 08:54:22 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Anybody have any additional impressions now that they've had the game for a while?  I'm really tempted to pick it up just to do some coop with a friend who'll be visiting next week, but I've heard so many mixed things...

How bad are the load times on average?  How often does it have to load?

I haven't played it but from what I've been able to gather from other forums the game is quite a bit better than the middling reviews indicate.  The major hits against it are a poor presentation (lack of voice acting) and poor music.  From what I can tell if you enjoyed either the Dark Alliance or Norrath games you'll enjoy this.  Some even like it better.  

Supposedly the loadtimes are only during initial load and transistioning to another area which isn't too often.

Word is positive enough that I regret cancelling my preorder and going with Ridge Racer.  UL will be the next game I pick up for my PSP.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »

The levels seem to be quite a bit shorter than the console counterparts, but that seems appropriate for a handheld.

The biggest complaints I have are the camera controls mentioned earlier (it seems just right shoulder and stick would have been better than right and d-pad) and the block controls.  You have to hit the right shoulder and the circle to block.  Awkward and all but useless.  Auto-blocking would have been a good option here.

Overall, I think the game is fun.  You can play a level in a fairly quick session, too.  I don't think it beats Ridge Racer or Lumines or Wipeout for best launch game, but it's the only game of its kind right now, so I'm happy to have it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 09:55:54 PM »

Hmm... I just can't get into Wipeout - anyone here want to trade Untold Legends (or Ridge Racer) for it?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 04:44:27 PM »

Untold legends is my favorite launch game now. I have twisted metal, wipeout pure, and world tour soccer (as well as untold legends).

Untold legends is a ton of fun. Its a lot like Baulder's gate on the xbox. It has a ton of depth to is, especially for a handheld. Of all the games you can get for the PSP you will be able to sink a lot mroe time into it. Wipeout is a pretty game, but you will get broed rather quickly. Its soemwhat repetative, although like I said, it is a great game.

Untold legends is probably the most fun on multiplayer. It is so much fun to play with a friend or two. I thought it would be somewhat mediocre because of the lack of talk about it here, and the reviews, but it really has impressed me. It has more depth then any of the games I have played yet for the PSP.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 12:48:17 AM »

Gah, such a hard choice whether to keep this or not.  I have Lumines, Wipeout, and Metal Gear Acid, and I like all of them (especially MG:A, which I just started).  But I still have this all wrapped up, taunting me to open it and ruin my chances of getting a sweet $40 in EB credit.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 01:38:46 AM »

It's a fun game, no doubt about it. It is pretty damn cool to see your little warrior hacking away on that crystal clear screen! I would rate it a little higher than the majority of reviewers, but then again I'm not 40 hours into or anything. The one flaw, longterm, may be repetition.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 01:43:10 AM »

I agree. Repitition is the only problem. I have on lvl 21 guy, and a few other lower level guys. Its pretty fun so far. Worth the price of admission to me, and I think the reviews are a bit low. They are a little too hard on it.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 04:09:27 AM »

Despite lackluster reviews, Sony issued a press release that says it is the top-selling PSP title at both EB Games and GameSpot.  So regardless of what the reviewers happened to think people are buying it.

Obviously it helps to know that it is indeed a BG/CoN clone and the RPG aspect isn't as deep as some initially hoped.  I don't know if I would get it to play myself, but if a few friends and I had PSP's I could see us all playing it co-op.  The same holds true for BG and CoN.  Fun games, but not really something I'd want to play solo.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 09:46:48 AM »

I am definitely picking this one up when it drops to $20.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 12:36:38 PM »

I've spent 90% of my PSP time playing this. While my Alchemist is only level 14 or 15, it's quite a fun little game. It definitely has that "let me play for another 30 min so I can level up" feeling. I agree that the camera control is a pain - I especially hate how when you go down into a dungeon and then come back up, the place you just entered it often rotated from when you entered it - always takes me a minute to re-orient myself (or the camera!). But it's not a biggie.

Anyone trying the Alchemist? I have the golem and while he's your typical pet (does fair damage and soaks up a lot of attention) he's hard as hell to manoeuver around anywhere - you can't really run thru him, so I end up sorta shoving him from behind to get past him. Somewhat annoying. I also find that I'm using poison gas and the bombs mostly.

I'd say if you like Diablo type games, you'll like this one.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: