http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 05:49:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unreal Championship 2 demo  (Read 1545 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2005, 04:45:07 PM »

I've been playing the Unreal Championship 2 demo from OXM, and I'm enjoying it (looks amazing and plays very smoothly), but I'm missing something.  I've been watching people wall jump.  There's one map in particular which has a numebr of close walls set up reaching rather high and I've seen the AI jump back and forth and get up there, going all Mario.  Anyone figure out how to do this?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »

I'd LOVE to say yes...but OXM sucks root and I always get my magazines after literally everyone on the planet.  frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'd LOVE to say yes...but OXM sucks root and I always get my magazines after literally everyone on the planet.  frown

Must be an Arizona thing, as I have the same problem. I seem to get my OXM five to seven days after I see people on this forum post that they receive it.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 05:29:37 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Must be an Arizona thing, as I have the same problem. I seem to get my OXM five to seven days after I see people on this forum post that they receive it.

It's all because of that time zone thing slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 01:23:21 PM »

Ahhhh... I feel better now. I was always wondering why I got mine so long after the posts started. Now I know that it is MST's fault.  biggrin

LiveTAG: happydog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »

*nods*  I think its because Arizona is so 'laid back' (read: lazy) so they aren't in a hurry to deliver it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »

I'm waitin on my brother to send me my demo copy (got two with a preorder). He was talking about some characters having special abilities and one he mentioned was wall jumping.

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
I've been playing the Unreal Championship 2 demo from OXM, and I'm enjoying it (looks amazing and plays very smoothly), but I'm missing something.  I've been watching people wall jump.  There's one map in particular which has a numebr of close walls set up reaching rather high and I've seen the AI jump back and forth and get up there, going all Mario.  Anyone figure out how to do this?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 07:18:19 PM »

Grrrr  mad Borders in my area now has the new OXM, but just checked the mail and my copy hasn't arrived yet.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 08:39:02 PM »

Went and looked today (I'm in Washington state) and NOPE, no demo/mag.  DAMN!  I must try this demo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:26:26 AM »

I received the UC2 demo with a pre-order this afternoon and I'm really impressed.  I didn't think that the melee part would be very engaging, or at least enough so to take away from the traditional UC/UT feel.  But I think they've changed the whole game - it's just a great amount of fun to learn the new combat moves.  On the downside, guns don't have nearly the same feel of destruction that they used to - but I'm pretty sure modifiers to play melee or guns only will be in the final game.

Really a great demo.

I also played some of the Iron Phoenix demo today and that's another game I'm more excited about.  Lots of cool combat moves, and aside from not knowing how to switch the lock-on, I think it'll be great fun in full release.  The demo level isn't spectacular, but with ten folks running around, it has a great pace.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 06:21:42 AM »

Better than the first Unreal Championship...but I wasn't really impressed.

TheMissingLink on PSN
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 01:17:42 PM »

I agree.  I thought the weapons felt nice and hefty, but the melee combat is too loose. It's designed, for the most part, to be able to hit everyone in a radius around your character, and not just the guy that you're targeting (excepting the jump and attack move, which seems to only hit your target, and maybe a few special attacks).  The net effect of this is that it feels like Jedi Knight 2 or Jedi Academy.  You run around everywhere and swing your melee wep somewhat wildly at things.  It's got a little more depth than that, but not enough to satisfy.  It just doesn't feel tight enough for me.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »

I tried the two Capture the Flag maps later on and really like how they look.  The new electric flags leave tracer trails as you run - that's a pretty neat way to prevent your flag getting lost in the map.  I also played on Live for a while last night, trying out the characters and maps.  I'm all geeked up about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: