http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:25:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universe at War Impressions  (Read 1342 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »

Anyone have the game yet?  I still need to pick up my copy from work frown Tongue

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:13 PM »

Well, I picked it up smile  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »

Actually very impressed by the game.

Reminds me alot of Emperor of Dune, but thats not entirely shocking, as Petroglyph studios is "Westwood that left EA".

Graphics are good, Mechanics are actually very cool (the Hierarchy's base mechanics are superb), and its got a real storyline, sorta. Its B Movie grade, but good none the less.

Very happy I picked it up. Its a very solid, very polished RTS, and the Conquer the World mode seems like it gives the game longer legs when the SP Campaigns are finished.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on December 12, 2007, 09:13:56 PM

Actually very impressed by the game.

Reminds me alot of Emperor of Dune, but thats not entirely shocking, as Petroglyph studios is "Westwood that left EA".

Graphics are good, Mechanics are actually very cool (the Hierarchy's base mechanics are superb), and its got a real storyline, sorta. Its B Movie grade, but good none the less.

Very happy I picked it up. Its a very solid, very polished RTS, and the Conquer the World mode seems like it gives the game longer legs when the SP Campaigns are finished.

I agree with all of your points.  So, any favorite races yet?

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:46:08 PM »

I had a review copy about a month ago now. One thing I really disliked was the close zoom you really can't get out of - i've got these huge ass walkers but can't zoom out far enough to see the entire thing well? Huh.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

This game came out of nowhere for me.  Very different gameplay for the 3 sides.  I'll be up for Multiplayer once I'm done with the campaign.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

Quote from: CSL on December 13, 2007, 07:46:08 PM

I had a review copy about a month ago now. One thing I really disliked was the close zoom you really can't get out of - i've got these huge ass walkers but can't zoom out far enough to see the entire thing well? Huh.

same problem they had with the engine in empires at war.

this was given a pretty mediocre review in the current gfw mag. 

i'm still a little bummed that they didn't take the 'empire at war' idea into the 'universe at war'.  it could have been similar to hegemony with solar systems to fight over in a large galaxy.  this is more like war of the worlds with 2 other sides involved.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:46:23 PM »

I picked this up while christmas shopping impulse buy chance to wreak havoc with walkers woohoo.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 02:24:17 AM »

That's weird, I don't remember having that problem in the demo...

Would you be able to download the demo and give it a whirl to see if the 'problem' is there too?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 04:42:09 PM »

The dearth of published reviews on this one is distressing.  Some games never really spark much forum discussion, but this one is even slow to catch the attention of professional reviewers -- did the company refuse to distribute reviewable copies of UaW for some reason?

-Autistic Angel
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 10:10:03 PM »

I'd say it's just another example of too many games releasing all at once. With competition like it is right now releasing during the christmas shopping season just is not a guarantee of good sales.

Look at Crysis and UT3 for another example. Even highly anticipated new tech games and really popular franchise games are managing to fail right now. A new title like UaW just doesn't have much breathing room, especially after the awful multiplayer beta.

If it helps I got the newest issue of GFW last night and they gave it a 7 I think. They liked the humor and found the game to be pretty entertaining, but felt that the campaign stops right as it gets really interesting and as a result the game feels kind of flat.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 06:48:27 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on December 15, 2007, 02:24:17 AM

That's weird, I don't remember having that problem in the demo...

Would you be able to download the demo and give it a whirl to see if the 'problem' is there too?

Maybe thats a small exaggeration, but the zoom level is in no way good enough for the scale on some of the units in the game.

I put in my review for the game a few weeks ago but its not up on Gamepro yet, as its supposed to be in the magazine. Anyways, I gave it a 4.00 out of 5.00.

The high points were the graphics, the three sides being so different in tactics and resource gathering, and the strength that lends to multiplayer, adn the variety of maps. What I didn't like was the zoom levels of course, the inconsistency among graphics (terrain included buildings and the human fraction are really drab), small build queues, and the fact that its still using a rather conservative RTS model - infantry as lone units instead of squads, etc - and there were some minor bugs with the version I got to review (units hanging on terrain, multiple tries to select a group, etc).

Not a bad game by any standard. For someone like me, who looks primarily looks for single-player it was a disappointment due to its rather dull, conservative RTS model in contrast to this years great games like Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts and World in Conflict where we get some really smart, somewhat innovative RTS experiences that don't always promote tank spamming and such. Universe at War is somewhat of a let down from those experiences, not bad, just a let down. From a multiplayer standpoint I think the game will do better, each of those three sides is great - the game does a really good job of differentiating between units, heroes, etc - so I think multiplayer will remain vibrant and have a lot of life.

Though, oddly I think the most depressing thing of all was that Frank Klepacki wasn't at his best with the soundtrack. For me his work on previous games like C&C really set a tone that helps to improve games markably, this one was lowkey in comparison and made me wonder where Klepacki was. Could have been used so much better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:50:22 AM by CSL » Logged
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »

Sadly I was kind of interested in this one, but I waiting to see if it was more standard RTS far, or it tried to add a open ended campaign experince like TW series, Rise of Nations,  and Tribal Rage. Sounds like its pretty but not very deep
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »

Thank you for the explanation CSL, that makes much more sense.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »

Hmm I feel like I should try this demo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: