http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpectedly Liking 360 Achievements  (Read 1455 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

I don't know if it's the caliber of games that I've purchased so far for the 360 (Dead Rising <my GOTY> and Gears of War), but the achievements have been rather intriguing.

I've played through Dead Rising 3 times (and will probably go through a fourth time in the future) to see things that I missed the first time through but also to get some additional achievements.  There are a couple more that I still want to get (54k kills I'm looking at you) but I don't know if it's because of the achievement itself (I don't really care about the points) or because I love the game so much.

Ditto Gears of War...though that's more of getting an achievement thing than seeing new content. I mean why else play through the game on Insane? Cause it's fun?  I don't think so.

My score is now north of 1100 which really doesn't matter to me...but achivements do, as others have said, add additional life to games and act as a neat little encourager to try something I wouldn't have otherwise attempted (knock over 30 zombies with a parasol? neat!)
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:47:23 PM »

I like them too, and would have more of them if EA would get the bugs out of Madden, NCAA Football, and Tiger Woods, where achievement points sometimes don't unlock when you earn them, and then will NEVER unlock, regardless of what you do.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »

Pssh....like EA has bugs in their software.  Whatever jblank.   Roll Eyes

Seriously though, from what the devs were talking about, getting achievements in Crackdown sounds like its gonna be a blast. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »

I rarely play to get achievements just for their own sake.  But if they offer up an incentive to play a game in a creatively different way then I will take time to try for them.  I did quite a few in Dead Rising (including the 54k kills which was mostly monotonous).  But there are many left that would be easy to achieve but just aren't very interesting (i.e. indoorsman and outdoorsman).

I have mixed feelings on games with 'Secret' achivements.  I'm not really sure what value they add to games other than an occasional, random pop-up.  There's no incentive to be creative with gameplay when you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »

I like achievments too, they seem to appeal to my merit badge complex.  I have to be carefull though because they can be major game spoilers...like in Oblivion.   
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 04, 2007, 07:52:04 PM

I like achievments too, they seem to appeal to my merit badge complex.  I have to be carefull though because they can be major game spoilers...like in Oblivion.   

I think linear games (like Enchanted Arms) should have their achievements hidden to prevent spoilers. Any major plotlines that you NEED to go through should have been hidden with Oblivion; the "try this crazy trick out" ones should have been made available.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 08:44:46 PM »

Heck I played a ton of Bankshot Billiards just to unlock a couple of the achievements. Otherwise it's a pretty boring game of billiards that came with Live.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »

I love achievements, but like Jblank am very frustrated at the frequency of broken achievements.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »

I wish you could actually DO something with the points though.

Just Hiro will do.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:27 PM »

I get them to help score.  Chicks dig achievements.  icon_cool

16-bit and loving it!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »

i like the achievements in a game,but couldn't care less about the score....for me i think that is kinda not fair on the poor kids,LOL

king kong is a good game to get all the achievements out of a game(there are only 9)but for those who like the score,thats an easy grand!!!...its a decent game,doesnt deserve the slagging off it gets...especially if you can find it cheap(its in the classics range now)..renting it for a night,might be best

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »

They don't matter to me, but I like them.  I smile when I see 'Achievement Unlocked'.
My wife doesn't care or play much, but somehow had 565 already...  Most of those are from Viva Pinata though.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »

I try for the achievements when I am bored.  I finished Gears last night with a friend on Insane and we had a cheat list of where all the cog tags were so that helped and then today I am playing all the stupid requirements on CoD 3 for the achievements.  I just finished a level with out firing a weapon and before that I knocked out using only German weapons and bolt action rifle.

They are fun and kinda challenging when bored......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 04, 2007, 11:46:27 PM

I get them to help score.  Chicks dig achievements.  icon_cool

You know what else they dig? Upgrades. nod

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »

I've now gone to the dark side on this. I'm pretty much playing through BFME2 just to get the points associated with the campaign.

The controls in this game are possibly the worst I've ever played on a console game....well except maybe for the original spiderman game on xbox.

The story is ok and if I didn't love the universe, I'm not sure even the points would sway me.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 07:22:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 06:19:02 PM

I've now gone to the dark side on this. I'm pretty much playing through BFME2 just to get the points associated with the campaign.

The controls in this game are possibly the worst I've ever played on a console game....well except maybe for the original spiderman game on xbox.

The story is ok and if I didn't love the universe, I'm not sure even the points would sway me.

How far in are you?

I hated the controls for the 1st 3 or 4 missions too.  But I also stuck with it for achievements.  After a while the controls clicked and I actually grew to like them.  I'm not sure RTS controls with a gamepad could ever be super intuitive.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 11, 2007, 07:22:29 PM

How far in are you?

I hated the controls for the 1st 3 or 4 missions too.  But I also stuck with it for achievements.  After a while the controls clicked and I actually grew to like them.  I'm not sure RTS controls with a gamepad could ever be super intuitive.

I'm on Mission 7 of the good campaign.

I wish bookmarking worked better  icon_frown
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 08:10:52 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 07:34:32 PM

How far in are you?

I'm on Mission 7 of the good campaign.

I wish bookmarking worked better  icon_frown

I hear ya.

I usually use the "select all units on the screen" option most of the time anyway.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 10:25:31 PM »

How far in are you?

Rented it, hated the controls so much I stopped after mission 2. Even the achievements wouldn't help. And ATB-welcome to the dark side!!!  ninja2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: