http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:16:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception!!  (Read 11300 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2011, 03:35:26 PM »

Ken, the graphics are a distraction.  They are so good and so well done, that all you really want to do is stare in awe at the detail of the world around you.  Which is ok, because they have a stat for how long you are standing still.  So you can track how much time you spend just looking and taking it all in.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 02, 2011, 03:35:26 PM

Ken, the graphics are a distraction.  They are so good and so well done, that all you really want to do is stare in awe at the detail of the world around you.  Which is ok, because they have a stat for how long you are standing still.  So you can track how much time you spend just looking and taking it all in.

Yes, they compel you to stand still, walk around, and take them all in. That's what I did on the market last night. Of course, you also have the scattered treasures you can find all over the world.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »

Is it just me or is the aiming a lot more difficult in this one? I have a 35% accuracy through Chapter 9 because I cant hit the broad side of a barn.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »

I only have 33% accuracy myself, so don't feel too bad.

Time to point out a few annoyances I have with the game so far:

Having played quite a bit longer into the game, the combat difficulty sure has ramped up. I'm playing on Hard, and it shows! It seems like the way combat is handled has been moved closer towards Uncharted 1 in that you'll frequently find enemies attacking you unexpectedly from behind and in that most of them will charge you recklessly instead of hiding behind cover. Both those in combination make for some frustrating moments. When you're hiding behind inadequate cover pointing only halfway in the right direction while two snipers are waiting to shoot you when you pop out, with one guy running in a wide circle to flank you, a guy with a grenade launcher firing at you every other second, a heavily armored dude walking directly towards you with a shotgun and several grunts hiding behind cover in the distance lobbing grenades at you, things can feel just a bit unfair. And that's before reinforcements spawn directly behind you. I've cursed at the screen a few times when I've suffered deaths I really had no real way of predicting or avoiding. You're constantly under fire, which means cover is extremely important. On the other hand, there's almost always someone behind you (or above/beneath you. This game is very vertical at times), which means cover is a liability. It makes me confused about what I'm actually supposed to be doing. I can't recall Uncharted 2 ever doing anything like this, yet Uncharted 3 does it repeatedly.

There's one section that was horribly frustrating for me. This was the (and this isn't a huge spoiler)
Spoiler for Hiden:
ship graveyard,
which ended up being a show reel of the worst parts of the Uncharted controls. You're moving in tight spaces with lots and lots and lots of clutter around you. Hitting the cover button (either to roll or to get into cover) more often than not seems to stick me to something else than what I had in mind. Moving while in cover sometimes moved me past corners, directly into the line of fire of enemies when I was expecting to stop at the corner so I could take potshots. The environment was so cluttered that I really couldn't keep track of where the enemies were or where they were coming from, and one enemy was in a heavily fortified spot high above where he could rain bullets down on me almost anywhere. Enemies would run up to me for melee combat, but trying to respond in kind usually brought me into the line of fire of other enemies, leading to my imminent death. Once combat was over, it was far from clear where I had to go to proceed. I walked in circles for about 10-15 minutes before I finally figured out where to go at one point. The game tried to give me a hint, but this was while I was in the middle of combat, zoomed in with a scope on a dangerous enemy, which meant I couldn't trigger it without putting myself at extreme risk. It never attempted to give me the hint again. I was glad to be done with that part, and the one immediately after was all kinds of awesome.

Finally, why the hell is Elena suddenly Asian? She seriously doesn't look like herself. She's barely recognizable. It also looks like they increased her bust size for some reason. Chloe has vaguely Asian features as well in bright light, but it's much worse for Elena. I can't even look at her without feeling upset that they've changed her so much, and for no good reason too. Elena was beautiful before. Now she looks... weird, making it really hard to connect with her. I haven't read many reviews of this game, but I suspect this is something more people than me must have pointed out.

With all that said, this is still an Uncharted game. So far it's not as good as Uncharted 2, but the difference is only slight. It's well worth the purchase. Now I'm all fidgety because I can't play tomorrow and won't be able to continue the story until Friday.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:04 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 02, 2011, 07:05:41 PM

Is it just me or is the aiming a lot more difficult in this one? I have a 35% accuracy through Chapter 9 because I cant hit the broad side of a barn.

Aiming is awful.  I'm actually contemplating just stopping the game for a while (Chapter 6) because it's taking away from the experience so much and I'm hoping maybe ND will patch it.  It is so horrible that I just can't believe that it is intentional.  I've seen a lot of talk about it elsewhere on the 'net as well.  Considering that I don't think any reviews mentioned it makes me wonder if something didn't get screwed up right before they hit gold master. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2011, 11:13:04 PM

Quote from: siege on November 02, 2011, 07:05:41 PM

Aiming is awful.  I'm actually contemplating just stopping the game for a while (Chapter 6) because it's taking away from the experience so much and I'm hoping maybe ND will patch it.  It is so horrible that I just can't believe that it is intentional.  I've seen a lot of talk about it elsewhere on the 'net as well.  Considering that I don't think any reviews mentioned it makes me wonder if something didn't get screwed up right before they hit gold master. 

Apparently they are looking into it:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/naughty-dog-responds-to-aiming-complaints-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

I feel like the recoil is part of it, but I'm reminded more of the gunfights in the first game than the second.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »

wow, just got an offer to go back to Gamefly for a buck for the first month w/ 2 games out, so I figured what the heck and tossed Uncharted 3 into the queue to see if I get lucky.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2011, 03:08:14 AM »

ND blog post on gun mechanics:

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/singleplayer_multiplayer_gun_mechanics/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2011, 04:58:55 AM »

I set the aiming sensitivity to about 75% of the bar and it feels much better.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »

Interesting read from ND, and thanks for the tip. I'll try bumping up the sensitivity tonight.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

After 115 hours, power is back! Tonight I climb, shimmy and shoot!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 03, 2011, 06:19:14 PM

After 115 hours, power is back! Tonight I climb, shimmy and shoot!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »

Tonight I climb, shimmy and shoot!

So a typical Thursday night at the Teggah household?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »

The game just feels janky to me this time.  The aiming is just off, I read the ND article and why they changed from UC2 is beyond me this is a step backwards.
I'm playing on hard and the A.I. is awful.  They run around in circles and try to find hiding places which gets them shot easily. 
Cover in the game seems off as well, sometimes I stick to cover and other it let's me loose. 
I'm finding places where characters are in my way and I can't get around them and the animations seem to take a lot longer to execute or something.

It feels like I'm playing an early release of the game instead of the full one.  Everything else is great, the story, voice, graphics, and 3D is awesome.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »

From ND Facebook:

We're still looking at the feedback and gripes we're hearing about the gun mechanics in the single-player campaign. Just wanted to give everyone an update.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »

I have an amazon preorder code if anyone wants it...pm.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2011, 04:19:19 AM »

Got through chapter 6 tonight. Definitely a slower start than U2, but that chapter upped the ante.

I totally agree, the enemies seem like they have ants in their pants. I think I killed more with melee than with guns because enemies kept running up right next to me.

I have no idea why anyone would take issue with graphics. It looks beautiful on my TV. The first daytime area was just incredible and the character faces are some of the best I've seen.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2011, 04:22:13 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 04, 2011, 04:19:19 AM

The first daytime area was just incredible...

When I saw that I thought, "Now you're just showing off."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Finished. I just couldn't stop playing.

Spoilers for everything:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Young Nate section in Chapter 2 was awesome, a great way of establishing their relationship.

And right after that, you go from hating Cutter to absolutely loving him. A great character to add to the series.

I forget what chapter, but riding horses through a desert to attack a convoy was straight out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but in a good way. Very fun to play and I'm glad they had so much interactivity with that segment. The similar jumping from car to car segment was in Uncharted 2, which was awesome, but you had little control and was pretty short. Now, you control the horse and having an awesome time jumping from car to horse.

Gameplay related, the stealth segments seem way harder, or are designed so that you fail and end up in a huge fight anyway. I think there was only 1 segment where I made it through without a fight. Case in point, the segment they showed off on the cruise ship? In the video they made, he made it through the whole theater doing all stealth kills. But in the full game, they make the AI always stand in spots where you can't fully stealth through the room. Then what happens after that is a stupidly hard 3 stage fight.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 03, 2011, 07:27:51 PM

Tonight I climb, shimmy and shoot!

So a typical Thursday night at the Teggah household?

unibrow

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »

I think I'm gonna redbox this tonight and hopefully finish it by tomorrow night or Sunday.  I'm not expecting to be blown away.  While I've enjoyed the previous two games, they never really did it for me like they seem to for everyone else.  I'm sure it'll be a fun once-through though.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »

Just finished the game myself. First playthrough was on Hard, so the experience got a little... extended. There isn't really a massive amount of hard battles in the game, but the ones that are there are long and punishing. Some of them I have no idea how I'll ever do on Crushing... which means I'm just going to have to try. slywink Cover isn't anywhere near as effective here as in the previous two games, since enemies will often show up behind you or do their best to flank you from the very first moments of a battle. Combat can feel a little unfair at times because of this (and because the game throws ridiculous odds at you occasionally).

For those who may be on the fence because of the stupid boss fight in the previous game, don't worry. They do it right and awesome this time. Perhaps they're erring a bit on the easy side now, but that's better than the alternative IMO.

As for a different fence, if you're cautious about this game because of the "monsters" in earlier games, here's a non-spoilery spoiler so that you'll have an idea if and how this game treats the same subject:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's still something like that, but it's very different this time and most likely won't cause you any real frustration.

All in all, I'd say Uncharted 2 was slightly better, but that's not saying much considering the outstanding quality of these games in the first place. smile There was a section in the middle of this game that was really frustrating, partly because it was too cluttered and messed with the controls, and partly because it didn't really fit into the story. It felt like the developers just slapped it in there because they felt it was cool (and part of it certainly is!). That section also had the hardest fights for me, but maybe I just got better towards the end.

The game looked totally awesome in 3D. The sense of depth was superb and really enhanced the scenes, particularly the ones with a grand scale, and the ones with a smaller scale but movable lighting. Walking through a cave in 3D while holding a flashlight looks almost too good.

Edit: Btw, there was one potential important plot hole that bothered me towards the end: (big spoiler!)

Spoiler for Hiden:
The English magician seems to use the hallucinogenic water all the way from the early parts of the game. Where did he get it from when they obviously don't know where to find it?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:59:30 PM by TiLT » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »

Well it sounds like ND is patching the controls and also adding motion blur back into the game.  It's going to be tough but I think I'm going to hold off for the patch (just started Chapter 12). 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2011, 05:43:45 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2011, 10:13:33 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The English magician seems to use the hallucinogenic water all the way from the early parts of the game. Where did he get it from when they obviously don't know where to find it?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think they found samples of the water from other places where it was transported, or samples taken from a long time ago. After all, they had to have more than just a legend for them to expend so many resources looking for it.

Still, it was pretty awesome of a myth to use, and the sight of the giant brass bottle coming up from the depths was a very nice touch.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2011, 06:51:55 AM »

Finished tonight and loved the experience.  I couldn't stop playing, but now am sad that it's done.  Please ND, continue to make these gems!!

Took me 10:21 on Hard.  I found 67 treasures.  I feel like I stopped to smell the roses too.  I spent a lot of time looking at textures and details in the worlds.  I think this one was by far the shortest of the Uncharted games.

A wonderful adventure, with some really amazing set pieces and locales.  I don't know how they keep coming up with this much good stuff.  It must be a pressure cooker in their studio to continue to make games this good.  

Now for my END GAME SPOILERS and thoughts:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm very happy with the ending.  When Elena came into the story and you could tell what happened, I was pretty bummed.  Especially after UC2 when it seemed to be a happy ending.  Hopefully it sticks this time.  

I don't think the Englishman was using the water in his darts.  I think it was some other kind of magic...right?  I guess the effect was pretty much the same as when you were in the lost city and drank the water.  

Thank you for the end fight and not a boss battle with some monster.  Although, playing on Hard, I ran into some real tough spots.  I had to redo quite a few sections because I died.  One that came up right after you experience the Djinn soldiers was really hard for me.

So, what happened to the agent in the chateau?  The one who looked like he was dead for years?  Spiders?

I wonder what Drake's real name is...but I'm glad they never told you.  

A little bit before the game came out, I started thinking Drake's Deception was referring to Sir Francis Drake...turns out that was true.  Even the title was tricky!

I wonder what was in the bronze urn they were bringing up from the depths....

BRING ON MORE UNCHARTED!!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:00:09 PM by leo8877 » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »

Couple more things...

This was the first Uncharted that I didn't find the Strange Relic treasure.  I'll be looking for that on my second play through.

My accuracy at the end of the game was 31%.  Not sure if that's on par with UC1 and UC2, but I suspect it's about right.  After I increased the aiming sensitivity, I was able to manage shooting much better.

About Elena's appearance; I thought she really looked different when you first see her, but she looks more "like Elena" as the game goes on.  The eye shape is just off at first though.  Chloe looks good though, I think she actually looks better than UC2.

Just watched the featurettes that are unlocked after you win.  Good stuff.  If you liked them in UC2, definitely give these a go.  There's also quite a few concept art galleries.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »

Finished - 9:48 on normal, 65 treasures.

Spoiler for Hiden:
As I said before, I really felt the game took a little while to find its footing, but then it really took off. They really fell into the CoD trap of too many cutscenes and started to let the game "breathe" a little after a while. Difficulty aside (I'll go into that), I thought the 4 or 5 chapters starting with Drake's abduction by the pirates were absolutely brilliant, as good as anything in U2. The airplane sequence was also fantastic. I also loved Drake's chase after the british guy through the middle eastern market. I think some people will dislike the trial-and-error style of those sequences, but I love the cinematic style.

I thought the difficulty was a bit uneven, and I think this was due to a return to the U1-style gunfights. As someone mentioned, most often you would have enemies spawn behind you. Gunfights in U2 usually started after a fairly well defined set of stealth kills if you wanted - here it seemed they left it a little more open to you. There were some pathways I realized I missed and will try on a second play through, but also as someone mentioned, the enemies were very sensitive, and it was often hard to string stealth kills together (I managed 5 entering the paris castle for the trophy). Also like U1, these fights were more "arena" based. I loved the gunfights in U2 where you traversed the area in a particular manner in order to flank a large gun, for example. These fights were mostly open areas where you needed to defeat everyone, and in the cases where you needed to take out someone to get a particular explosive weapon, solving it was generally trial and error rather than looking at the surroundings.

I think crushing will be significantly harder than U2, and I'll have to see how my hard play through goes before I decide to attempt it.

Acting and story were top notch - Emily Rose and Nolan North are just special together. I actually liked Sully in this game - he's kind of annoyed me before.

And Leo, I had the exact same question about the old decaying guy.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:32:26 PM by Teggy » Logged

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »

I feel like this one's taking the annoyance I have with the whole series (I want to explore and solve puzzles, but the game keeps making me play a mediocre shooter against waves of clones), and amps it up to 11 with new terrible aiming controls and various other strange control issues that lead to insta-kills. 

I want to finish because of the story and the explore/puzzle bits, but man, as of chapter 9 (10?), I've had it up to here with the combat.  Seriously tempted to cut my losses and just return it tomorrow and write off any other games in the series.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 06, 2011, 12:31:37 AM

I feel like this one's taking the annoyance I have with the whole series (I want to explore and solve puzzles, but the game keeps making me play a mediocre shooter against waves of clones), and amps it up to 11 with new terrible aiming controls and various other strange control issues that lead to insta-kills. 

I want to finish because of the story and the explore/puzzle bits, but man, as of chapter 9 (10?), I've had it up to here with the combat.  Seriously tempted to cut my losses and just return it tomorrow and write off any other games in the series.

Why don't you just play on Very Easy then?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2011, 12:55:40 AM »

What makes you think I'm not? That doesn't change the control issues I'm having.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »

I'm not really having any issues with the controls. In Chapter 12 and loving the game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »

Sounds like you'd rather play Tomb Raider.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2011, 01:15:20 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2011, 01:08:07 AM

Definitely.  I rank the recent Tomb Raider trilogy higher than the Uncharted series by a wide margin.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2011, 01:45:35 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 06, 2011, 01:15:20 AM

Definitely.  I rank the recent Tomb Raider trilogy higher than the Uncharted series by a wide margin.

I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan and even so, I can't back you up on that one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 06, 2011, 01:45:35 AM

Quote from: Chaz on November 06, 2011, 01:15:20 AM

I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan and even so, I can't back you up on that one.

Ya TR has nothing going compared to uncharted.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2011, 02:21:34 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 06, 2011, 12:55:40 AM

What makes you think I'm not? That doesn't change the control issues I'm having.

Oh, I thought on very easy that the dudes would fall over in 1 shot or so, so combat wouldn't be a problem.  I bumped the aiming sensitivity up to about 75% of the bar and it was much more like previous games.  Maybe give that a shot and see if it helps.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2011, 04:36:19 AM »

You can buy the soundtrack for the game here.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 06, 2011, 04:36:19 AM

You can buy the soundtrack for the game here.

There's also on the PSN, although I don't know how difficult it is to transfer off your PS3, or if there's any DRM.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2011, 06:04:16 AM »

I think for me on the TR vs Uncharted front, Uncharted definitely beats out TR on story and character, but I just find all the combat portions (and there are lot of them) SO unenjoyable that it brings the whole thing down.  TR has combat, but it's so simple and easy that it almost never gets in the way, and the exploring and puzzle solving are much bigger portions of the game.  Obviously, Uncharted wins on graphics.

Of course, it comes down to taste.  At heart, I'm andventure/puzzle kinda guy, which TR is more geared toward lately.  Uncharted looks like a TR-style game at times, but at its heart, it's really a shooter.  The fact that as of chapter 16, I've killed 414 dudes (and that it has extensive stats for tracking the tools and methods used to murder said dudes) is pretty much proof of that. 

I'm not shocked that I'm probably the only one who'd rank TR above Uncharted.  I'm the one who thought Wet was in the top five games the year it came out.  slywink

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: