http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception!!  (Read 12357 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 25, 2011, 01:13:26 PM

It only gets 11's when I can play it.  So either they give me a PS3 or make it work on 360 slywink  PS: why isn't teggy in BF3?

You're not missing anything.  Overrated series is overrated.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 25, 2011, 01:40:39 PM

It only gets 11's when I can play it.  So either they give me a PS3 or make it work on 360 slywink  PS: why isn't teggy in BF3?

Shunnnnnnnnnnn! Shunnnnnnnnnnnnn the non-believer!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

Leo is SO going to kill you in your sleep.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »

Forge?!

Oh, man.. I think I heard Leo saying he was gonna get on a plane.. and he said he had a can of whoop-ass with your name on it.  icon_razz
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »

Haha smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

have any of the reviews mentioned if the enemies stay normal this time around, or if they turn 'special' like

Spoiler for Hiden:
the mutants

in UC1/2? 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »

Uncharted 1? Yes, completely overrated.

Uncharted 2 is manna from the gods, though.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2011, 02:23:17 PM

have any of the reviews mentioned if the enemies stay normal this time around, or if they turn 'special' like

Spoiler for Hiden:
the mutants

in UC1/2? 

Any review that revealed a big-ass plot spoiler like that would get the evil eye from me.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »

Troll is a troll.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 25, 2011, 02:37:01 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the mutants

in UC1/2? 

Any review that revealed a big-ass plot spoiler like that would get the evil eye from me.

People you don't need to read reviews about these games.  They're amazing.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll squeal with excitement!  No need to read 3 pages of text that will spoil the show for you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2011, 02:51:28 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the mutants

in UC1/2? 

People you don't need to read reviews about these games.  They're amazing.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll squeal with excitement!  No need to read 3 pages of text that will spoil the show for you.

Actually the only way I'll get this game is to know for sure that particular twist doesn't happen again. I can wait for the walk throughts to pop up though, so it's no biggie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2011, 03:06:27 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2011, 02:51:28 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the mutants

in UC1/2? 

Actually the only way I'll get this game is to know for sure that particular twist doesn't happen again. I can wait for the walk throughts to pop up though, so it's no biggie.

As Teggy once said, "Why do you hate fun?"
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on October 25, 2011, 02:44:19 PM

Troll is a troll.

No, I'm not trolling.

Here's a list of complaints.
Shooting is not terribly satisfying.  Enemies take too many hits to bring down unless you are getting headshots and even then there are
enemies that take multiple headshots.  Furthermore many encounters take place in waves of three, which serves to compound the issue and makes combat feel tedious.   The waves are less an issue in 2 but still present.  Furthermore you are essentially moving from kill room to kill room, though 2 does a better job of disguising this.

At times you will be in a kill room but it is not obviously hard gated.  I'm thinking specifically of the crashed train in the snow in 2 where I went around stealth killing all the enemies but missed one at the far corner of the area I'm guessing.  I then found what appeared to be the path out and tried to leave and was killed in a cutscene.  This is not good design.  From some of the stuff I've read on 3 it has more of these types of issues.

Throughout the games you are making impossible jumps, and finding secret passages etc only to end up in one of these kill rooms that is heavily fortified with enemies.  It strains credulity after having to go through so much to find this place to have had these guys apparently just casually waltz in before you got there.

Sequences sometimes tend to go on too long, the train sequence in 2 I think as an example that should have been shorter than it was.  It started out as exciting but before it was done I was pretty sick of it.   I'd say the same for the Helicopter boss fight in two, where even though Naughty Dog seems to love the rule of three for things like enemy waves they eschew it in this fight as the chopper takes far more than three shots from the grenade launcher.

And also along the lines of bosses, having a human boss that is ultimately immune to gunfire and has to beaten via hand to hand was seriously immersion breaking.  It very much supports the idea that is presented in the Eurogamer review that you are more an actor in their script than an agent within the game.  If they wanted a fist fight there, they could have at least disarmed you in a cutscene instead of having made the boss effectively immune to gunfire.

I know I had other issues but it's been a while since I've played them.  The graphics are great, and it is well voice acted, my problems are more with the moment to moment gameplay.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »

Sorry guy. You are a little late to try and say you are not trolling. The only thing that you came in to post, until called out, was that it was an overrated series. No reasons or explanation in a thread that is full of people that seem to clearly enjoy the games and that is clearly not for you.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 25, 2011, 03:21:06 PM

No, I'm not trolling.

Here's a list of complaints.
Shooting is not terribly satisfying.  Enemies take too many hits to bring down unless you are getting headshots and even then there are
enemies that take multiple headshots.  Furthermore many encounters take place in waves of three, which serves to compound the issue and makes combat feel tedious.   The waves are less an issue in 2 but still present.  Furthermore you are essentially moving from kill room to kill room, though 2 does a better job of disguising this.

At times you will be in a kill room but it is not obviously hard gated.  I'm thinking specifically of the crashed train in the snow in 2 where I went around stealth killing all the enemies but missed one at the far corner of the area I'm guessing.  I then found what appeared to be the path out and tried to leave and was killed in a cutscene.  This is not good design.  From some of the stuff I've read on 3 it has more of these types of issues.

Throughout the games you are making impossible jumps, and finding secret passages etc only to end up in one of these kill rooms that is heavily fortified with enemies.  It strains credulity after having to go through so much to find this place to have had these guys apparently just casually waltz in before you got there.

Sequences sometimes tend to go on too long, the train sequence in 2 I think as an example that should have been shorter than it was.  It started out as exciting but before it was done I was pretty sick of it.   I'd say the same for the Helicopter boss fight in two, where even though Naughty Dog seems to love the rule of three for things like enemy waves they eschew it in this fight as the chopper takes far more than three shots from the grenade launcher.

And also along the lines of bosses, having a human boss that is ultimately immune to gunfire and has to beaten via hand to hand was seriously immersion breaking.  It very much supports the idea that is presented in the Eurogamer review that you are more an actor in their script than an agent within the game.  If they wanted a fist fight there, they could have at least disarmed you in a cutscene instead of having made the boss effectively immune to gunfire.

I know I had other issues but it's been a while since I've played them.  The graphics are great, and it is well voice acted, my problems are more with the moment to moment gameplay.

Your complaints are valid and I agree with them but the overwhelming greatness of the rest really trumps the nitpicks for me anyway.  I also dropped the difficulty to easy and issue 1 went away. 

As for the impossible jumps...isn't that a staple of games/movies?  Like a real person is going to be dragged behind a truck by his whip, climb back up to the truck, climb to the cab fight a Nazi, throw him out of the truck, and then steal the truck with the Ark?  I don't think so but I really enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark

Number 3 is the same type of deal.  Every movie and game like this needs to setup the pieces for some action in the story.  People could pick any movie or game to pieces. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2011, 02:08:56 AM »

If the focus was on realism, why would anyone play games? 99% of games have as a major part of their core themes or gameplay some completely unrealistic aspect.

Uncharted 1 definitely had the bullet sponge effect, and that was definitely a problem, which is why they retuned things for 2, making most enemies get taken down in a reasonable number of bullets, and those that took more usually had some special reason why it took more bullets. Also, name any game that's not a so called "realistic shooter" and tell me with a straight face that the enemies and player are taking a realistic number of bullets.

The series has its faults, make no mistake, and I agree on some level with many of your arguments. But simply not liking some of the design choices the designers make is not the same as a game, and series, being overrated. Sometimes, you just don't like the style of something, and that's okay. However, often times, things are popular and thought of well for a reason.

I had a friend who would constantly find one or a few small things to hate about something, and ended up hating everything about it. Pretty soon, there wasn't much left in the world for him not to hate. Wasn't very pleasant to be around.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »

Just to be clear, I wasn't complaining about a lack of realism.  It's not that I can make impossible jumps, it's more you go through such effort to get to a location, climbing walls, jumping gaps, finding secret passageways, only to find the bad guys en mass already camped out in this impossibly hard to get to place.   It's like a scene from a comedy where someone just goes through the unlocked front door after everyone around them spent 10 minutes trying to go through windows, chimneys etc, only we're playing as the guy that didn't try the front door.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2011, 04:05:48 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 25, 2011, 01:18:32 PM

OK, first of all, based on the BF3 thread, I'm pretty sure you have a PS3. Second of all, my in-laws are in town, so I will be lucky to install the game tonight, much less play it frown

I'm sure Harkonis saw the PS3 version of Battlefield at the Gamestop midnight launch.  Anyways I'm in for Uncharted 3, this will be my 4th game I have bought for the PS3 since launch

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »

Now that Uncharted 3 is about to be released... I kind of just want to play through Uncharted 2 again  icon_biggrin

This nagging feeling of "same story" is emanating out of Uncharted 3 for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 26, 2011, 03:52:10 AM

It's not that I can make impossible jumps, it's more you go through such effort to get to a location, climbing walls, jumping gaps, finding secret passageways, only to find the bad guys en mass already camped out in this impossibly hard to get to place.   It's like a scene from a comedy where someone just goes through the unlocked front door after everyone around them spent 10 minutes trying to go through windows, chimneys etc, only we're playing as the guy that didn't try the front door.

This was a much bigger problem in Uncharted 1 than 2. I remember finding secret passages into some area supposedly untouched for hundreds of years, just to find bad guys waiting inside. For the most part, I think Uncharted 2 avoided those scenarios.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 26, 2011, 06:39:20 AM

Now that Uncharted 3 is about to be released... I kind of just want to play through Uncharted 2 again  icon_biggrin

This nagging feeling of "same story" is emanating out of Uncharted 3 for me.

Why replay the game when you can LIVE IT???!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/25/world/asia/japan-archaeology-shipwreck/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 26, 2011, 12:14:52 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 26, 2011, 03:52:10 AM

It's not that I can make impossible jumps, it's more you go through such effort to get to a location, climbing walls, jumping gaps, finding secret passageways, only to find the bad guys en mass already camped out in this impossibly hard to get to place.   It's like a scene from a comedy where someone just goes through the unlocked front door after everyone around them spent 10 minutes trying to go through windows, chimneys etc, only we're playing as the guy that didn't try the front door.

This was a much bigger problem in Uncharted 1 than 2. I remember finding secret passages into some area supposedly untouched for hundreds of years, just to find bad guys waiting inside. For the most part, I think Uncharted 2 avoided those scenarios.

This was actually something that happens at the end of 2. Nate has to solve a puzzle that gets him in to the secret city, and then the bad guys are already there.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:08 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 26, 2011, 04:05:48 AM

Quote from: Teggy on October 25, 2011, 01:18:32 PM

OK, first of all, based on the BF3 thread, I'm pretty sure you have a PS3. Second of all, my in-laws are in town, so I will be lucky to install the game tonight, much less play it frown

I'm sure Harkonis saw the PS3 version of Battlefield at the Gamestop midnight launch. 

That was just a little joke from the BF3 thread - Hark mentioned that he saw the PS3 at Gamestop and then a bunch of people kept asking him how it looked on his PS3.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 26, 2011, 02:21:04 PM

This was actually something that happens at the end of 2. Nate has to solve a puzzle that gets him in to the secret city, and then the bad guys are already there.

Not quite accurate. In most cases, they usually had Nate and crew getting into a location on their own using finesse, then after a short series of more puzzle oriented sections without combat the bad guys show up hot on Nate's tail.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2011, 03:07:54 PM

Not quite accurate. In most cases, they usually had Nate and crew getting into a location on their own using finesse, then after a short series of more puzzle oriented sections without combat the bad guys show up hot on Nate's tail.

Actually it is. In many cases the bad guys were there. With helicopters.

Uncharted is a fantastic series, but it's not perfect like any game. In some places the story is just plain bad.  Overall, it's still one of the very few MUST play franchises on the PS3.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2011, 03:07:54 PM

This is the part I was thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LyQhBPsusI

Nate has to figure out a puzzle which opens a door. However, all it does is open a door that overlooks an area that has another door. And that area is already crawling with bad guys who for some reason have ignored this big special circle in the ground that has a hole for the dagger. So the fact that people were already there meant that Drake didn't need to even do that puzzle in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I consider Uncharted 2 to be the best game I have ever played on any system. EVER. But even I'll admit there are a few odd bits to the story.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 26, 2011, 03:33:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I consider Uncharted 2 to be the best game I have ever played on any system. EVER. But even I'll admit there are a few odd bits to the story.

+1.  In order to keep things tough they do things often which get the bad guys into areas Drake had to do a lot of work to get to. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »

I agree that there's plot holes, but in the location you refer to wasn't it pretty clear already that the bad guys were well ahead of Drake? Sure, they didn't have the key, but they had plenty of explosives and vehicles, and not much in the way of brains. Ancient stonework isn't really a match for modern firepower, and a madman's drive. slywink

Although I do know that in U2, Drake did have a specific comment in one of the instances where he rounds a corner and bad guys are already there. I forget what he says, but the designers gave a nod to it, and in an interview a while back I recall they mentioned that syndrome.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »

Drake.  On a horse.  With an RPG.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »

Look at Drake. Now look at the horse. Now back at Drake. Now back at the horse.

This is what your man could look like if he was Drake on a horse!

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »

A bit surprised I haven't seen a shipped notice from Amazon for this yet.  I have release day delivery option.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »

You know what, that's a good point. The snow has taken my power and water. It had had best not take my Drake, or you will see Teggy go into Hulk mode.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:59 AM »

Well, I got my shipping notification at least.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »

My collector's edition shipped today as well. Should get it tomorrow! Whoohoo!

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2011, 02:56:05 AM »

Mine still hasn't shipped. icon_frown
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »

Mine actually traveled all of about 10 miles and has been sitting in my town's UPS since 6pm  icon_confused Not that I can even play it...

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2011, 03:43:08 AM »

Whoops.  Apparently I forgot to preorder this.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:41 AM »

Yeah, it's one of those games you just kinda know you're going to get, and that there will be plenty.

I'm going to a midnight release to grab this.

edit: Amazing so far. As much as you hear from reviewers that the the game is still the same great thing as before, they actually do mix up the formula in many subtle ways.

Also, one really, really nice bit of animation tech they use now is that Drake and other characters now dynamically reach out to put their hands on objects and walls to steady themselves, even during normal movement. It's also used in combat, or other action sequences.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:55:10 AM by Turtle » Logged
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »

Tom Chick seyz:

Nathan Drake is back in what is, so far, the weakest Uncharted of them all. More on that later, but as of about two-thirds through the campaign, itís not looking good.

Sometimes I think he's contrary to popular opinion just because he can.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 01, 2011, 12:55:53 PM

Tom Chick seyz:

Nathan Drake is back in what is, so far, the weakest Uncharted of them all. More on that later, but as of about two-thirds through the campaign, itís not looking good.

Sometimes I think he's contrary to popular opinion just because he can.

ya i tend to ignore his opinion.  It's been proven to be kinda worthless these days.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: