http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:20:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves revealed!  (Read 10255 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2009, 02:08:32 AM »

i just replayed a couple hours worth of uncharted (first time since i beat it 2 years ago). &, for whatever reason, i had a much easier time with it then i did originally. i'm hoping there're some stealth elements to the sequel, but i'm now officially good-to-go no matter what smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 20, 2009, 02:08:32 AM

i just replayed a couple hours worth of uncharted (first time since i beat it 2 years ago). &, for whatever reason, i had a much easier time with it then i did originally. i'm hoping there're some stealth elements to the sequel, but i'm now officially good-to-go no matter what smile ...

according to the IGN review, there is at least one scenario that requires stealth, as well as a number of sequences where stealth can be used to take out enemies without stirring up a big firefight.  their comments are that while the platforming segments are still very linear, you have more ways to approach rooms full of enemies now...including a stealthy approach to thin the ranks before opening fire.  sounds great icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2009, 04:09:58 AM »

Quote from: disarm on September 20, 2009, 03:34:10 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on September 20, 2009, 02:08:32 AM

according to the IGN review, there is at least one scenario that requires stealth, as well as a number of sequences where stealth can be used to take out enemies without stirring up a big firefight.  their comments are that while the platforming segments are still very linear, you have more ways to approach rooms full of enemies now...including a stealthy approach to thin the ranks before opening fire.  sounds great icon_cool

that's good to hear - while the firefights in uncharted are all well thought out, the gauntlet-like transition from one to the next to the next (with many including second waves) is maybe (besides the speedboat sequences smile ) the only criticism i have of the game. stuff like stealth, & even a bit more platforming, that'd break that up a bit more would be a big improvement, imo...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »

The devs have been talking a lot about the new stealth elements in the game. It's not a stealth game, but you can use trickery to surprise your enemies. If you pop out of cover and shoot someone, then sneak away, the enemies will investigate the area the shots came from, allowing you to flank them and take them out from behind. They don't have total knowledge of your current location, and will have to search for you if they can't see you.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »

Yep, just think of it as action movie stealth or basically Batman Arkan Asylum stealth in some ways.  You aren't sneaking around everywhere, but you're not advertising your presence either.  All enemies no longer have perfect vision, and if you alert one guy the entire enemy army isn't immediately alerted to your presence.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »

awesome! i've obviously been in serious black-out mode, & appreciate the info...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »

MP demo is up on the PSN store now!!  I think it runs until the game is released and then will be shut down.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »

10/10 from Eurogamer and it's currently running at a 98(!) on Metacritic.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »

Is this demo freezing up for anyone else?  I can't get it to play without freezing when the match starts.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »

Joystiq's review made it sound like it was kind of front-loaded, and that the second half wasn't as good.

I was extremely lukewarm on the first one, and really didn't enjoy the combat at all, so my plan right now is to wait until I can get this for around $30.  However, enough positive impressions might push me over the edge early. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

Quote from: Koz on September 29, 2009, 10:36:47 PM

10/10 from Eurogamer and it's currently running at a 98(!) on Metacritic.

blackout!!! smile ...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2009, 12:15:24 AM »

Anyone else tried the MP demo?  Have you been able to finish a game?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:31 AM »

Well this has been pretty shitty.  I froze 3 times, then deleted and re-downloaded and re-installed.  Game has froze 2 more times now.  I can't play without it locking my PS3 up, so that I have to reboot.  Even the XMB does not work.  I can't seem to find an official Naughty Dog forum.  Everywhere else I've looked has no mention of a locking problem with the Demo.  I hope the final release works for me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 30, 2009, 01:29:31 AM

Well this has been pretty shitty.  I froze 3 times, then deleted and re-downloaded and re-installed.  Game has froze 2 more times now.  I can't play without it locking my PS3 up, so that I have to reboot.  Even the XMB does not work.  I can't seem to find an official Naughty Dog forum.  Everywhere else I've looked has no mention of a locking problem with the Demo.  I hope the final release works for me.

Wow if I just let it sit at the Start splash screen for a few mins the game freezes.  So no one else is seeing this?
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »

I played a Mulitiplayer Deathmatch last night right before bed and it was frickin' amazing.
I did very well 14 kills and 8 deaths which was good enough for first place, if you count the kill-death ratio.
It was 10 on 10? I can't remember correctly, but it was very fun ad no lagging at all or freezing.

I really can't believe they put out such a great demo, I can't wait for the real game now!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2009, 05:53:50 PM »

so,i have been playing the multiplayer demo/beta/whatever on PSN..at first i didn't like it(it had the MGS online feel to it)...but i played more and got better at it,and have been quite enjoying it now

the graphics are great,the levels are alright,could be better IMO(they do the job though)

you don't just go into a room with a certain map and the normal weapons,it puts you in a party and then two maps come up while in the Lobby(maybe both the same map,maybe not)..1 will have 1 selection of weapons,1 will have another,and you vote which map you want

say one map could be the village with Sniper Rifles and Pistoles and the other could be the Plaza with RPGs

when i first started i kept on getting owned(it was Rifles),i would aim for the head and it would take ages for them to go down,which often they don't and i ended up being killed by them,i was getting mighty pissed off,and pretty much wrote the game(online) off

then i stayed and played another game,and this time it was RPGs only,and after the fright of me having a RPG(i didn't know i thought it was gonna be rifles all the time)...i got the most kills in the room(well joint 16 but the other guy had more deaths,so i am claiming that one)

so played another in The Village which was Sniper and Pistole's,sniper if you use the scope is pretty shit(although i am always shit with a sniper)..if you just use it like a normal rifle,its fine(again at least for me)

i found out a few games in,that you can change your weapons to whichever ones you find lying about..which helps,pistols are great(not to be confused with Pistole's),i got 20 kills in that game....but 17 deaths icon_frown..the RPG game was prolly my favourite though,it was a good laugh

the only thing is,that on some peoples version it has take a photo option(camera icon) in the cinema replay,on mine and other peoples its not on,someone said its because you have to have your PS3 set to 720p(or whatever).and i haven't got a HDTV..shame as i would of been putting the photos up here

i even deleted it off my HDD,downloaded the American Version played a game of that,and replayed it in cinema mode to see if the camera option was there and it wasn't..so went back to the UK one

however to answer Leo's questions,i have had no problems with finishing games..(UK or US),i also left it on the opening screen while i watched TV and had my Dinner(10 minutes or so),when i came back it hadn't froze,so not sure why Leo you are having problems

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2009, 12:12:55 AM »

Adam Sessler reviewed Uncharted 2 on X-Play tonight.  although he gushed about pretty much every aspect of the game, this excerpt from his written review sums up his thoughts well...

Quote from: 'Adam Sessler'
Iím not 100% certain when it happened. I think itís when I had Nathan Drake atop a building in a war-torn Nepalese city, cornered and being fired upon by a helicopter, engaged in a fist fight with the screen slowly draining of color, snapping my enemyís neck and quickly rolling into cover to reload my grenade launcher only to turn and fire upon the chopper one last time as I watched it crash and explode. I think this is when I realized that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the best single-player game I have ever played.

i generally agree with Sessler's opinions, and hearing him make comments like that is just more evidence that Uncharted 2 is probably going to be something very special.  even after playing his video review on the show, they continued to discuss the game and he really stressed that not only does the game do individual things like gunplay, story, or graphics incredibly well, but it also manages to combine them seamlessly in a way that very few games (if any) have managed before.   

you can check out both his video and written reviews over at G4tv.com.  this game really can't be released soon enough icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »

Although I wasn't going to, I'm kind of thinking of preordering this now. Anyone know of any particularly good deals?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 01, 2009, 12:12:55 AM

Adam Sessler reviewed Uncharted 2 on X-Play tonight.  although he gushed about pretty much every aspect of the game, this excerpt from his written review sums up his thoughts well...

Quote from: 'Adam Sessler'
Iím not 100% certain when it happened. I think itís when I had Nathan Drake atop a building in a war-torn Nepalese city, cornered and being fired upon by a helicopter, engaged in a fist fight with the screen slowly draining of color, snapping my enemyís neck and quickly rolling into cover to reload my grenade launcher only to turn and fire upon the chopper one last time as I watched it crash and explode. I think this is when I realized that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the best single-player game I have ever played.

i generally agree with Sessler's opinions, and hearing him make comments like that is just more evidence that Uncharted 2 is probably going to be something very special.  even after playing his video review on the show, they continued to discuss the game and he really stressed that not only does the game do individual things like gunplay, story, or graphics incredibly well, but it also manages to combine them seamlessly in a way that very few games (if any) have managed before.   

you can check out both his video and written reviews over at G4tv.com.  this game really can't be released soon enough icon_cool

I saw that episode too and was surprised to hear him say that.  Glad though because I was always planning on getting the game.  Just finished the first for the 3rd time last weekend.  But I gotta say the multi demo turned me off. Didn't like it at all.   But that is okay since I am only buying for the SP.  Week after next can't come quick enough.  Biggest gaming week for the rest of the year for me.  Yoohoo!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »

Not to be a damp rag or anything, but keep in mind Sony has a lot riding on Uncharted 2 for the holiday season and we don't know what kind of pressure they MAY have asserted on big-name editors. I'm not saying the game won't be good, but you have to take statements like Adam's with a grain of salt unless you want to be sorely disappointed.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 02, 2009, 10:22:01 PM

Not to be a damp rag or anything, but keep in mind Sony has a lot riding on Uncharted 2 for the holiday season and we don't know what kind of pressure they MAY have asserted on big-name editors. I'm not saying the game won't be good, but you have to take statements like Adam's with a grain of salt unless you want to be sorely disappointed.

dude's a damp rag smile ...

not expecting the end-all, be-all of video gaming that some are (saving that for last guardian smile ), but after e3, & the response to the beta, it's awfully hard to consider that there's a possibility that this game isn't gonna kick major ass (disclaimer: i don't know adam from adam, haven't read his comments (blackout), & never take reviewers seriously, anyway)...

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »

I really wish it would come out a little later, because I haven't had a chance to play the first one get.(I just got me PS3Slim 2 weeks ago) I never like playing the sequels of games without playing the original. I confess to playing the online demo for the second one, but that's it. I must make an attempt at Uncharted before I try number 2.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on October 02, 2009, 11:28:47 PM

I really wish it would come out a little later, because I haven't had a chance to play the first one get.(I just got me PS3Slim 2 weeks ago) I never like playing the sequels of games without playing the original. I confess to playing the online demo for the second one, but that's it. I must make an attempt at Uncharted before I try number 2.

Definitely play Uncharted 1 first- it's well worth it.  The second game will still be there when you are done. 
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2009, 12:06:35 AM

Quote from: Darren8r on October 02, 2009, 11:28:47 PM

Definitely play Uncharted 1 first- it's well worth it.  The second game will still be there when you are done. 

Exactly. One little question. I don't want any spoilers or anything, but does Uncharted 1 leave off, or does it complete? Is it going to continue over into Uncharted 2 or is it going to be an entire new adventure?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »

Entirely new adventure but with recurring characters.  So while the plot of Uncharted 2 doesn't depend on Uncharted 1's story (or at least that seems to be the case), you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of already knowing the cast. 
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2009, 02:55:36 AM »

FYI, Here are the reviews that are out so far:

IGN 9.5/10
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14225...dr_091809.html

GamesRadar 10/10
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/unchar...12159395546092

PTOM 5/5
http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/09/14/fi...eview-in/#hide

The French PSM3 21/20
http://www.n4g.com/News-394102.aspx

E4G. 9.8/10
http://e4g.info/1188/uncharted-2-amo...es-review.html

Eurogamer 10/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/un...thieves-review

1UP A+
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3176267

Gamepro 5/5
http://www.gamepro.com/article/revie...among-thieves/

Computer and Video Games 10/10
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=224465

G4 5/5
http://g4tv.com/search/?q=uncharted+2

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2009, 03:51:20 AM »

Evidently Gametrailers gave it a 9.3.  However the review is supposedly full of spoilers.  No surprise unfortunately- Game Trailers seems to go out of their way to spoil games in their review.  Hell their review of the first Uncharted had a clip from the end cutscene. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: