http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19064 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »

There may be some truth to that. The fight ended shortly after I stormed their spawn area in desperation, having nearly given up out of frustration. I took some big chances but picked off tons of them at once, nearly getting onto the stairs before the whole thing was over.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 26, 2009, 07:54:57 PM

I don't know what the real story is, but that fight definitely seemed shorter when I went left right away.

Hmm, that might be the case- I went left first and then circled completely around to the right and the fight wasn't long at all for me.  
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 26, 2009, 07:54:57 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 26, 2009, 07:47:24 PM

That final big battle *does* have never ending spawns.  I'm not sure what trigger it uses.

I'm pretty sure there's an invisible trigger to the left.  My first playthrough I stayed up on the top platform, and went through all my ammo, then went to the right, killed a ton more guys, and eventually got killed by a grenade or something.  Tons of guys the whole time.  Second try, I immediately went left, and had half or less the number of guys.

One of the guys at work thinks that the fight has an enemy spawn cap that's very high, but that you can cut that off if you hit certain points.  I don't know what the real story is, but that fight definitely seemed shorter when I went left right away.

I think that this is right - this happened to me on my crushing run. I went right, got behind a pillar at the far end, took out
Spoiler for Hiden:
a guardian
, picked up a crossbow and started pushing my way towards the opposite end. I thought I was doing great until I noticed that I didn't seem to be putting a real dent in the enemy count.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »

Finally got to try out plunder. It's basically Halo's oddball, but you can toss the treasure pretty far, and since there is cover, you can be more strategic about covering the carrier. Very fun. I also played chain reaction, which is similar to war in CoD. The round went really fast, and I'm not sure that;s because the map isn't laid out well or the other team just didn't know what they were doing.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 28, 2009, 05:27:49 AM »

I got stuck in a fucking air conditioner on top of a building in Chapter 6 tonight.

WTF?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 28, 2009, 05:27:49 AM

I got stuck in a air conditioner on top of a building in Chapter 6 tonight.

WTF?

I got stuck behind a tree once.  Had to reload at the checkpoint. Fortunately, they've done a good job of checkpoint spacing.

I got to the beginning of chapter 13 tonight and am still enjoying the game.  It's very well done- just like the first-and has great story telling.  I don't think it will unseat Batman as the best of the year though.

The variations in gameplay, as odd as it may sound, remind me of Metal Arms- Glitch in the sytem- a wholly underappreciated game that did a great job of mixing things up and keeping it fresh. UC2 is doing that very well.

Also, I continue to be impressed with how Naughty Dog writes femail characters.  Just about every other game company should be taking notes.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 28, 2009, 12:09:46 PM

Also, I continue to be impressed with how Naughty Dog writes femail characters.  Just about every other game company should be taking notes.

takes one to know one? - amy hennig...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »

Femail characters, ATB?   retard

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »

I played the campaign three times in a row and never had a crash or got stuck. The one thing that happened a couple of times is that Drake would be jumping for a ledge and he'd start swimming in the air a bit before falling.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 28, 2009, 02:29:52 PM

Femail characters, ATB?   retard

Good point.  icon_mrgreen
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »

Finally finished one of the co-op campaigns, the village.  There's a nasty segment in there where it pits you against 2 minigun armored guys, and then 3 normal armored guys with not enough heavy firepower in the area.  You basically have to loot the previous area of its ample firepower to make sure you can take on that segment.  It's pretty awesome though, it's amazing what they accomplished in co-op multiplayer, that many enemies and scripted events.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »

What's amazing is how much butt you kick in MP.  I'm up for some coop tonight if you're game. Teg too maybe?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 28, 2009, 05:22:37 PM

Finally finished one of the co-op campaigns, the village.  There's a nasty segment in there where it pits you against 2 minigun armored guys, and then 3 normal armored guys with not enough heavy firepower in the area.  You basically have to loot the previous area of its ample firepower to make sure you can take on that segment.  It's pretty awesome though, it's amazing what they accomplished in co-op multiplayer, that many enemies and scripted events.

I need to play the other 2 co-op missions. Lettuce, I played the same one we got stuck on (I think that is the Village, too) to get my trophy and we were literally at the end. All we had to do was trigger that last group checkpoint and it was over. Dumb guy dropped out right before it was over.

By the way, apparently what happens with the difficulty level is that it always drops to the lowest one set on one of the players. So if 2 guys have crushing enabled and one guy has easy, it uses easy. You can go into custom matches, though, if you want to have only 2 players. There is an in-game medal for finishing a scenario on crushing with only 2 players. That's got to be really hard, because unlike the SP, the co-op seems to constantly throw guys at you from behind.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2009, 05:34:41 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 28, 2009, 05:24:20 PM

What's amazing is how much butt you kick in MP.  I'm up for some coop tonight if you're game. Teg too maybe?

Would love to but I am going to a concert tonight. I think that they count co-op kills in K/D, so people look like they have much better stats than they do. I know mine are wrong. I am probably running around .6-.7 K/D in competitive MP. I usually come in with about 1 or 2 less kills than deaths, although I have improved. Also, the modes other than deathmatch are not too good for K/D.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2009, 02:29:08 AM »

Just completed chapter 17 and so far it is the absolute low point of the game.  Also...oh boy...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looks like the story is going off the rails just like with UC and the zombie men.  Monsters...again? COME. ON.  Do they really need to introduce another stupid and out of place antagonist?

It may as well be aliens in Indy IV.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2009, 02:29:08 AM

Just completed chapter 17 and so far it is the absolute low point of the game.  Also...oh boy...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looks like the story is going off the rails just like with UC and the zombie men.  Monsters...again? COME. ON.  Do they really need to introduce another stupid and out of place antagonist?

/facepalm

Play to the end

Ch 17 was so friggen awesome, it boggles the mind how you could think this is a low point of the game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:52:14 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »

Chapter 17 is fairly short, but I didn't dislike it.  However, compared to chapters 19-21...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2009, 02:49:54 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

/facepalm

Play to the end

Ch 17 was so friggen awesome, it boggles the mind how you could think this is a low point of the game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But monsters man. MONSTERS... AGAIN!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2009, 11:49:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

/facepalm

Play to the end

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Keep playing, and then come get your dinner.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

Spoiler for MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS:
  I don't know-  is there that much difference between the Yeti and the Guardians in terms of being a "monster"?  I don't have a problem with either (and really liked the reveal) but for people who seem opposed to inhuman enemies in the series I'm not sure if that distinction matters.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2009, 12:53:57 PM

I don't know-  is there that much difference between the Yeti and the Guardians in terms of being a "monster"?  I don't have a problem with either (and really liked the reveal) but for people who seem opposed to inhuman enemies in the series I'm not sure if that distinction matters.

Spoiler for WHAT HE SAID:
It made a huge difference to me.  I was a little disappointed to see the series heading into the supernatural.  Not that I'm against supernatural elements in games, but it seemed out of place for Uncharted.  It was a big relief and nice surprise to see that they were sticking to their roots after all.  I admit that I'm making a big assumption that SL will feel the same way, but I think he probably will.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 29, 2009, 01:03:26 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2009, 12:53:57 PM

Spoiler for WHAT HE SAID:
It made a huge difference to me.  I was a little disappointed to see the series heading into the supernatural.  Not that I'm against supernatural elements in games, but it seemed out of place for Uncharted.  It was a big relief and nice surprise to see that they were sticking to their roots after all.  I admit that I'm making a big assumption that SL will feel the same way, but I think he probably will.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't see how you can call the Yeti "supernatural" even if they were the real deal.

Anyway, Naughty Dog have stated that they consider the "monsters" an integral part of the Uncharted experience, so I suspect we will keep seeing them. Pulp is supposed to be larger than life, but Uncharted doesn't go into the supernatural territory.

Actually, there haven't been any real monsters at all in the two games we've seen so far. The creatures in the first game were just the results of humans being infected with a powerful virus, followed by several generations of cross-breeding. The "monsters" in this game are merely humans who've drunk from the Tree of Life all their lives, greatly mutating their bodies.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 29, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 29, 2009, 12:41:30 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2009, 11:49:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

/facepalm

Play to the end

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Keep playing, and then come get your dinner.

I don't think I've disparaged the game in anyway. I thought it was lame when they introduced zombies in the other and I think it's dumb what they've done in chapter 17.  Of course I don't know what happens next, but at this point, a game that has been going along perfectly has hit a speedbump.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Also, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when developers of movies, tv or games introduce a wholly unnecessary external atagonist.  Right now, this is what has happened in chapter 17...just like it happened in the first game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2009, 01:14:57 PM »

What zombies? There have never been zombies or anything remotely close to it in Uncharted.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »

(SL don't read unless you want to be spoiled)
Spoiler for Hiden:
I would have been fine (and might have preferred) if they had left them as Yeti. Yeti are one of those creatures that some people have claimed to see in the real world. Almost certainly not real, but not completely make-believe for the people playing the game. I think it would have been pretty Indiana Jones-y for the Yeti to be real (like the Ark was real, like the Thugees could rip hearts out, like there was a ghost guarding the grail). I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I didn't like the descendants because they were too much like the Flood. But you fight, what, maybe 10 guardians the whole game?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2009, 01:14:57 PM

What zombies? There have never been zombies or anything remotely close to it in Uncharted.

Did you play the first game?  They were pretty much zombies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2009, 01:44:28 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2009, 01:14:57 PM

Did you play the first game?  They were pretty much zombies.

Really? They weren't undead. They didn't shamble. They didn't eat people. They were intelligent (at least enough to build traps). They observed the intruders quietly for a while before mounting a full, organized attack. They could breed. They couldn't infect people (except through breeding). They weren't rotting.

So tell me, how were they "pretty much zombies"? It's an honest question, because I simply can't understand how you could compare those two things.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2009, 02:16:31 PM »

Ok. We can split hairs over zombie character traits (they did shamble, they were largely immune to gunfire, they attacked with claws and biting- not sure if they ate brains or not) or we can sidestep this and focus on my point: they were an entirely unneeded antagonist over and apart from the main enemies in the game. And while I haven't finished the last of pt 2 (I have my suspicions on what happens) the inclusion of

Spoiler for Hiden:
the MONSTER in chapter 17

is again unnecessary.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »

I liked the variety that the Descendents offered in Uncharted 1.  The game was enormously fair with them- they always announced their presence long before they arrived, they usually only assaulted you head one, they had extremely long stun animations so you only needed to land a few hits before you could back away, and they didn't damage you much.  They were also only used in a couple of sections so they didn't overstay their welcome. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »

Somewhat spoilerific for both games:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The "monsters" serve a very clear purpose in both games. They show what happens to those who get tempted to abuse the powerful artifacts the antagonists are looking for. Without them, the consequences of failing your quest would be much harder to show. Also, they provide a welcome respite from the regular fighting, and especially in Uncharted 2 they don't appear for very long.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2009, 02:20:18 PM

Well, I guess we'll finish this discussion after I finish the game. slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »

I hear Uncharted 3 will take place in a shopping mall.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 29, 2009, 02:21:43 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 29, 2009, 02:20:18 PM

Well, I guess we'll finish this discussion after I finish the game. slywink

Spoiler for Hiden:
I do think it turns out the monsters are tied into the story very well in the end.  As for calling them "supernatural,"  I don't considert yeti supernatural, as they are borderline natural.  However, these things exhibited traits that were beyond what you would expect from a yeti in the wild (not the least of which was the number of them).

I don't remember the Descendants from the first game at all.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »

Actually it looks like the low point is chapter 18 when

Spoiler for Hiden:
You have to fight a couple of the MONSTERS! in the temple.  Also the platforming of that level was very meh. 

The game made up for it though with some AWESOME firefights in 19 and 20.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:54 PM »

SL stop yo' bitchin' and hurry up and finish it, yeesh.  slywink  icon_twisted
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 28, 2009, 05:27:49 AM

I got stuck in a fucking air conditioner on top of a building in Chapter 6 tonight.

WTF?

L2P.

I don't see why anyone would have an issue with zombies, monsters, goblins, buff naked cyborgs from the future, etc. being in the game. Drake's climbing ability is a super power in of itself. He might as well be a gimped Spiderman.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:50:06 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »

OK, I think I'm near the end....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm trying to kill Lazarovic/Barry Bonds and I'm blowing the blue junk up on him over and over again. How many times do you have to hit him? Any tips?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »

Into chapter 23. Should be able to finish the game tonight.  Again, it's an excellent excellent game, but to me Batman was a more enjoyable and complete experience.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 30, 2009, 12:06:50 PM

OK, I think I'm near the end....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm trying to kill Lazarovic/Barry Bonds and I'm blowing the blue junk up on him over and over again. How many times do you have to hit him? Any tips?

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are 4 "rounds". You need to hit him with sap 4 times each round, but if you also throw grenades at him, you can cut that down considerably. I have heard differing theories on whether shooting him with bullets does anything, but anything explosive helps. The method I used was to basically run laps around the place. You can find a path you can keep doing and then turn around at the same spots each time. Eventually, some of the sap will disappear, so you have to change it up a little. It's considerably harder on "hard", but on normal I finished him off very quickly.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: