http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:51:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19312 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 22, 2009, 08:07:13 PM

Almost the whole game you have an AI partner, it makes perfect sense. Have them take different routes sometimes, like in Gears, use each other to hoist over obstacles, like in RE5, etc.[/spoiler]

Man I hope not.  While I appreciate the extremely competent AI partners that were in so much of Uncharted 2, what separates Drake from everyone else are those moments that he does what no one else will.  Levels like
Spoiler for Hiden:
The train, convoy, the extreme platforming in various sections would lose something if it wasn't just Drake doing that stuff.  Plus I'd think a level like Chapter 15 when he is beat to crap in the snow would lose a lot of effectiveness if you had a partner.  Even Chapter 16 would lose something with a partner. 

I appreciate that people love their co-op but mandating it for the entire singleplayer is too limiting to me. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »

Woot the first part of the motion comic that ND talked about it on the PSN now...Eye of Indra, part 1!!!!!!  Voiced by the original voice actors from the game!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 09:44:25 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 22, 2009, 08:07:13 PM

Almost the whole game you have an AI partner, it makes perfect sense. Have them take different routes sometimes, like in Gears, use each other to hoist over obstacles, like in RE5, etc.[/spoiler]

Man I hope not.  While I appreciate the extremely competent AI partners that were in so much of Uncharted 2, what separates Drake from everyone else are those moments that he does what no one else will.  Levels like
Spoiler for Hiden:
The train, convoy, the extreme platforming in various sections would lose something if it wasn't just Drake doing that stuff.  Plus I'd think a level like Chapter 15 when he is beat to crap in the snow would lose a lot of effectiveness if you had a partner.  Even Chapter 16 would lose something with a partner. 

I appreciate that people love their co-op but mandating it for the entire singleplayer is too limiting to me. 

Ah, I see your point. But there were many times in the game I thought it would be great if I had a real partner and I would like to see what they can do. The co-op that they included in this game is definitely very fun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:41 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 23, 2009, 01:13:31 AM

Woot the first part of the motion comic that ND talked about it on the PSN now...Eye of Indra, part 1!!!!!!  Voiced by the original voice actors from the game!

Well this is a little odd, I was expecting like the Dead Space comics, but this Uncharted one has ads in it o_0.  Not quite as good as the Dead Space motion comics, imo.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

Finished the game and loved it.  My first platforming/action game as I skipped all the Tomb Raider stuff.  Is it worth getting UC1 or have I been too spoiled by the sequel to enjoy it?  Quite the good first experience on the PS3. 

Random thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I almost tried the crossbow on the blue meanies a few times and now I'm kicking myself for not following through.  Me feel dumb.  The final boss fight was not enjoyable and raised my blood pressure quite a bit.  In hindsight, though, I really should be able to handle one tough boss fight without throwing a hissy fit.  Still, I think it went on at least one explosion too long.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 23, 2009, 05:53:33 PM

Finished the game and loved it.  My first platforming/action game as I skipped all the Tomb Raider stuff.  Is it worth getting UC1 or have I been too spoiled by the sequel to enjoy it?  Quite the good first experience on the PS3. 

Random thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I almost tried the crossbow on the blue meanies a few times and now I'm kicking myself for not following through.  Me feel dumb.  The final boss fight was not enjoyable and raised my blood pressure quite a bit.  In hindsight, though, I really should be able to handle one tough boss fight without throwing a hissy fit.  Still, I think it went on at least one explosion too long.

The first game is a lot lighter on the set pieces, but definitely well worth playing, especially at the price.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 23, 2009, 05:57:34 PM

Random thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:

The first game is a lot lighter on the set pieces, but definitely well worth playing, especially at the price.

First game rules, even with the combat improvements and little tweaks in Uncharted 2, the first game is a gem!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »

Yeah go back and play the first game.  One of my favorite games of the generation.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »

Random thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) yeah, you screwed up smile . took me most of one battle to figure out, & made them a helluva lot easier to deal with from then on...
2) i don't know why, but i beat the boss on my first try (even without knowing you could just shoot him as well as the sap) - i just kept running away like a mf smile . but i agree, it wasn't fun, & (just as in the first game - tho please don't let this stop you from playing it! smile ) was likely the low-point of the whole experience for me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 23, 2009, 06:42:39 PM

Random thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) yeah, you screwed up smile . took me most of one battle to figure out, & made them a helluva lot easier to deal with from then on...
2) i don't know why, but i beat the boss on my first try (even without knowing you could just shoot him as well as the sap) - i just kept running away like a mf smile . but i agree, it wasn't fun, & (just as in the first game - tho please don't let this stop you from playing it! smile ) was likely the low-point of the whole experience for me...

Spoiler for Hiden:
You first get access to the crossbow at the beginning of the tank fight and can use it to one-shot lots of mercs. Shame on you for not realizing the peaceful denizens of that mountain village would only choose to use the most kick-ass weapon available. smile

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2009, 02:40:49 AM »

Trucking through my crushing run. Some things have been tough, as expected
Spoiler for Hiden:
chapter 4 (the ambush in the jungle), the early monastery fights

Some things have been harder than I expected
Spoiler for Hiden:
the train

Some things have been easier than I expected
Spoiler for Hiden:
Cat and Mouse

Still apprehensive about two upcoming fights
Spoiler for Hiden:
The big arena fight where you come across the guardians battling it out with the mercs, and of course the final boss battle.

When I finished my second playthrough I think I was at 74 treasures. I am using a guide to get the remaining ones. About half I feel stupid for missing, the other half are pretty cleverly hidden. One in the monastery I can't believe anyone found, especially considering it takes an absolutely perfect jump to reach it and many would think that you aren't supposed to go there after you fell to your death a couple of times.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2009, 05:41:18 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2009, 02:40:49 AM

One in the monastery I can't believe anyone found, especially considering it takes an absolutely perfect jump to reach it and many would think that you aren't supposed to go there after you fell to your death a couple of times.

Yeah, that one is pretty bizarre. You actually have to let Nate run a couple of steps past the edge of the platform before jumping, which makes very little sense.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »

Woohoo! Crushing has been crushed! And I did the final boss fight totally legit, which was completely frustrating, but in the end more satisfying.

Only thing left for platinum are the GAU kills, 10 steel fists in a row and finishing a co-op match (which I should already have  icon_mad )

I can't believe I have played this game 3 times in a row. I have never even come close to doing that with another game.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM

Woohoo! Crushing has been crushed! And I did the final boss fight totally legit, which was completely frustrating, but in the end more satisfying.

Only thing left for platinum are the GAU kills, 10 steel fists in a row and finishing a co-op match (which I should already have  icon_mad )

I can't believe I have played this game 3 times in a row. I have never even come close to doing that with another game.

Wow beat on crushing!?!??!  Nice work!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »

Yeah, good work indeed! I'm nearly halfway through my playthrough on Crushing now, and I have all the other trophies. Looking forward to that platinum trophy. smile
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Oh brother . . .
Spoiler for Hiden:
Er what?  You can just shoot the guy without the sap?  I suppose you can one shot him with the Crossbow too?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 24, 2009, 08:58:11 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Oh brother . . .
Spoiler for Hiden:
Er what?  You can just shoot the guy without the sap?  I suppose you can one shot him with the Crossbow too?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The game gives you hints as you go.  Explosives, shotgun blasts, and the crossbow work well.  Basically stuff that either does massive damage, or doesn't leave a space for the wound to heal.  Bullets will just tend to go through and those are just quickly sealed up.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »

Platinum, BAM! smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »

So what's the final single player skin that you get for free if you platinum?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2009, 12:23:26 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 24, 2009, 10:12:31 PM

So what's the final single player skin that you get for free if you platinum?

You get Marco Polo. I thought it would be funny to run around looking like some foppish italian guy, but it's actually what Marco Polo would look like today. That is, he's a skeleton in Marco Polo's clothes. That's kind of fun, too.

Oh, wait, that's MP. I didn't look to see if there was a new SP skin.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2009, 01:45:37 AM »

Start of chapter 5. LOL! Awesome!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2009, 01:56:19 AM »

Question: What are the grenades that have ninja masks?  I guess I could toss one....
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2009, 02:02:06 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 25, 2009, 01:56:19 AM

Question: What are the grenades that have ninja masks?  I guess I could toss one....

The Ninja Masks indicate you got a special drop for doing a stealth kill.  So in addition to getting the enemy's ammo you got a grenade you wouldn't have received otherwise.  You can also get powerful weapons as stealth drops as well. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2009, 03:40:50 AM »

Some fun with multiplayer...

Tossing a propane tank at the enemy (sadly, this did nothing other than make for a big flash)

I came upon 3 enemies huddled at the hill and tossed a grenade

You better scatter!

One managed to get far enough away, but two were caught in the blast

They went flying (I love that you can see the guns get tossed)

I also got the MP medal for stealth pulling an enemy off a roof while I was on a ladder. Very fun biggrin

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2009, 06:11:41 AM »

After a week on vacation got back tonight and got to the beginning of chapter 6.  It's a hoot, that's for sure. 

Also, got some extended MP time tonight and I don't know if it was the time away or what, but it's now clicking. I'm still not that great at it, but in elimination matches, I was killing more than I died...I'll take it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2009, 01:13:43 AM »

The mp is now unquestionably fun.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2009, 01:14:36 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 26, 2009, 01:13:43 AM

I hope you are playing more than just elimination now.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:26 AM »

I've got matchmaking set to play every game mode, it's really fun getting a new mode every match, but still having some say over what is played next.

SL, I tried to send you a party invite a while back, didn't work though.  frown
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2009, 01:35:54 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 26, 2009, 01:14:36 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 26, 2009, 01:13:43 AM

I hope you are playing more than just elimination now.

I've been flirting with deathmatch today.  Have more ok rounds than great rounds, but just had my best round ever: 22-12-2  with 10 medals including 3 streaks.  My K/D is almost to 1.0.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2009, 01:23:26 AM

I've got matchmaking set to play every game mode, it's really fun getting a new mode every match, but still having some say over what is played next.

SL, I tried to send you a party invite a while back, didn't work though.  frown

I'll be on later tonight if you're game.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2009, 01:37:11 AM »

One thing I will say about MP that is UBER lackluster, is the boosts.

Almost all of them suck.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »

Congrats on the platinum, Teggy. Took you just 9 days, well done. I've been thinking about giving it a whirl...

I'm not sure I could take crushing difficulty, though. Normal was hard enough!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:17 AM »

I've only played DM, but I should try the other modes, I bet I would like them a lot more.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2009, 02:33:17 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 26, 2009, 02:02:00 AM

Congrats on the platinum, Teggy. Took you just 9 days, well done. I've been thinking about giving it a whirl...

I'm not sure I could take crushing difficulty, though. Normal was hard enough!!

Thanks - I think I put in something like 38 hours on SP, so I was hooked over those 9 days! You'll have to play hard just to get crushing, and playing on hard does help. Crushing was definitely harder than hard, but playing the game multiple times really lets you get to know the tricks to most of the fights and where you can go stealth. You also really get to know the weapons and how effective blind fire can be.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »

Up to chapter 21. It's OK. Maybe I'm missing something.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 26, 2009, 12:21:31 PM

Up to chapter 21. It's OK. Maybe I'm missing something.

you might just be playing the right game at the wrong time? (it's happened to me) - i mean, even at the very least, i think the game deserves an ok+ smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »

Yessss! The Platinum is mine! biggrin

Those were some really tense battles in the end. I think I had a bug with the last big battle before the end boss, because I seemed to have what felt like neverending spawns when I haven't seen that before. I think my opponents respawned about 10-15 times before the battle was over, forcing me to use nearly all the ammo that was possible to pick up. They only respawned about 3-4 times on earlier playthroughs. And then the game crashed afterwards, further confirming my suspicions.

Man, I'm completely spent right now. I need to relax for a bit. smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »

That final big battle *does* have never ending spawns.  I'm not sure what trigger it uses.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 26, 2009, 07:47:24 PM

That final big battle *does* have never ending spawns.  I'm not sure what trigger it uses.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I watched a YouTube video of someone finishing the fight from the initial vantage point (on Crushing), only running down to grab ammo three times or so (and he started with only half ammo). That didn't work for me at all. Something was messed up.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 26, 2009, 07:47:24 PM

I'm pretty sure there's an invisible trigger to the left.  My first playthrough I stayed up on the top platform, and went through all my ammo, then went to the right, killed a ton more guys, and eventually got killed by a grenade or something.  Tons of guys the whole time.  Second try, I immediately went left, and had half or less the number of guys.

One of the guys at work thinks that the fight has an enemy spawn cap that's very high, but that you can cut that off if you hit certain points.  I don't know what the real story is, but that fight definitely seemed shorter when I went left right away.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: