http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:38:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19053 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2009, 06:26:04 AM »

Leo, that first area you talk about, I successfully did stealthily.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Got all the guards, and the guy up top.  Although I actually didn't realize there was a guy up top until Nate said one of his lines that indicated enemies nearby while he's sneaking.

I think it's a matter of just finding a place where he can't see down.  Most AI don't scan above or below themselves very well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »

That second area you definitely can't stealth.  Not sure about the first but, yeah, getting those guys up top would be tough without being seen. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

almost finished it last night, up to a section in level 22 where you have a couple of towers and snipers to take out. 

i really enjoyed the battle back in the last town and the level after that.  such a cinematic experience (yeah, overused phrase, but what else would you use?). 

i haven't even noticed, but there are stealth bonus items?  or do you mean the stuff you pick off of the bodies when you get them? 

i really liked the opening to the last section where you get access to the only ranged silent weapon.  made for a nice head start on the battle.

that comic reminds me of the hl2 comic 'Concerned' and how he wrote the combine soldier's moments. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 20, 2009, 04:23:00 PM

i haven't even noticed, but there are stealth bonus items?  or do you mean the stuff you pick off of the bodies when you get them? 

I assumed he meant the weapons that have the blue ninja mask icon on them after you stealth kill someone.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »

I came so close to finishing today.  And now I'm not really going to get to play for several days.   crybaby

I'm loving the game, but as someone who didn't love the combat in the first one, I'm finding the fights getting a little too much as we near the end.  I've had to restart several multiple times and was growing frustrated a few times.  Still better than the first one.  The battles are better paced, at least, and I haven't felt like stopping for a while (I stalled on U1 a number of times), but it's just something I noticed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 20, 2009, 04:24:40 PM

I assumed he meant the weapons that have the blue ninja mask icon on them after you stealth kill someone.

I saw one last night for the first time, but didn't know what it meant... still don't, really. There's some sort of bonus to using those weapons?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 20, 2009, 08:05:44 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 20, 2009, 04:24:40 PM

I saw one last night for the first time, but didn't know what it meant... still don't, really. There's some sort of bonus to using those weapons?

No, it's just that when you normally kill a guy he will drop his gun. If you stealth kill a guy he may drop his gun and ALSO a grenade. The grenade will have the little stealth icon to show you it's a bonus drop.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

I think you can get some better weapons as stealth kill drops too. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »

Stealth kills also drop stuff like better weapons sometimes.  I've gotten magnum class weapons from stealth kills, which really helps take out the last few guys when they spot you.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »

Not sure what they were thinking with the 200 kills with the gatling gun trophy. All the other weapons-based trophies are pretty easily gotten just by playing through the game once or twice, but you rarely run across those guns, and generally by the time you do, everyone is already dead in the area. Most people are recommending just buying it in the store and then boosting on the beginning of chapter 6 or somewhere similar.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 20, 2009, 08:25:28 PM

Not sure what they were thinking with the 200 kills with the gatling gun trophy. All the other weapons-based trophies are pretty easily gotten just by playing through the game once or twice, but you rarely run across those guns, and generally by the time you do, everyone is already dead in the area. Most people are recommending just buying it in the store and then boosting on the beginning of chapter 6 or somewhere similar.

That's how I got a lot of those trophies in the first game, enabling them after getting enough "points" and using them throughout the game on replays.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »

It's pretty much how you get all the weapon achievements, spawn them in.  They don't penalize you for using what amounts to rewards to the player for finishing the game.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 20, 2009, 07:38:54 PM

I came so close to finishing today.  And now I'm not really going to get to play for several days.   crybaby

I'm loving the game, but as someone who didn't love the combat in the first one, I'm finding the fights getting a little too much as we near the end.  I've had to restart several multiple times and was growing frustrated a few times.

I was in the same boat, I was disappointed at how they basically rammed combat down your throat the last third of the game. The environment/climbing puzzles grew frustrating towards the end as well.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 20, 2009, 11:07:11 PM

I'm loving the game, but as someone who didn't love the combat in the first one, I'm finding the fights getting a little too much as we near the end.  I've had to restart several multiple times and was growing frustrated a few times.

I was in the same boat, I was disappointed at how they basically rammed combat down your throat the last third of the game. The environment/climbing puzzles grew frustrating towards the end as well.

if you take out the combat and the environmental platforming, what's left to do?   Tongue

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2009, 11:30:11 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 20, 2009, 11:14:57 PM

Quote from: Ridah on October 20, 2009, 11:07:11 PM

if you take out the combat and the environmental platforming, what's left to do?   Tongue

kissing? smile ... as someone who doesn't really like or play many shooters, while i wasn't crazy about the combat toward the end, it never really wore me down like it did in the original - i felt it was tough, but doable (afa platforming/puzzle stuff, i pretty much loved all of it from start to finish)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »

Personally, I really liked the shift in combat in the end.  For the first 2/3 of the game most of the combat was part of very structured set pieces.  I liked that the last few levels allowed you a bit more freedom to experiment tactically.  Also, there were several sections near the end that you could stealth through and avoid triggering large groups of reinforcements. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22:38 AM »

This picture is beautiful.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2547/4027211109_bb76d1edbd_o.jpg

TheMissingLink on PSN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »

Has anyone been able to stealth...
Spoiler for Hiden:
when Nate and Elena are in the Monastery, they come to a tall building with a locked door. Nate has to climb up the building and around, with the intention of coming back down and opening the door. However, it turns out there are guards all over the building. Nate comes up under a deck and very clearly is supposed to pull down the first guard (there is even a break in the walkway he falls through as the camera follows him down). After that you can jump across to a pillar and take out the next guard, and then you can run across a beam and take out yet another guard as he looks out the window. After that, I get stuck. There are lots of different ways you can climb around the room, but they all seem to result in you being spotted when you drop to the floor below. As an alternative, you can climb out the window. There are two guards warming themselves near a barrel with their back to you, and another guard looking at them. You can move along the top of the doorway to get behind the 3rd guard, but as soon as you drop, he hears you.

I don't know, maybe the game wants the firefight to start, but I thought I would see if anyone had managed something different.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 21, 2009, 01:22:38 AM

Yeah, something I haven't even touched are the machnima tools and screenshot stuff. I'll have try that at some point.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:48 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 21, 2009, 01:22:38 AM

it all looks even better in motion though...easily one of the best looking games of this generation

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:13 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 21, 2009, 01:28:04 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
when Nate and Elena are in the Monastery, they come to a tall building with a locked door. Nate has to climb up the building and around, with the intention of coming back down and opening the door. However, it turns out there are guards all over the building. Nate comes up under a deck and very clearly is supposed to pull down the first guard (there is even a break in the walkway he falls through as the camera follows him down). After that you can jump across to a pillar and take out the next guard, and then you can run across a beam and take out yet another guard as he looks out the window. After that, I get stuck. There are lots of different ways you can climb around the room, but they all seem to result in you being spotted when you drop to the floor below. As an alternative, you can climb out the window. There are two guards warming themselves near a barrel with their back to you, and another guard looking at them. You can move along the top of the doorway to get behind the 3rd guard, but as soon as you drop, he hears you.

I don't know, maybe the game wants the firefight to start, but I thought I would see if anyone had managed something different.

Man, I spent 30-45 minutes trying to stealth that part and never made it any farther than you.  It seems like it should be possible but I never could get it to work. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 21, 2009, 01:51:13 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Man, I spent 30-45 minutes trying to stealth that part and never made it any farther than you.  It seems like it should be possible but I never could get it to work. 

Then I'm thinking you are supposed to start firing. After all, after you get a certain way down
Spoiler for Hiden:
there is a huge explosion through the wall.

On the bright side, I managed to get the 10 melee kills in a row trophy while I was trying.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2009, 02:10:20 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 21, 2009, 01:51:13 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I tried many times to do this also, but finally gave up and started shooting.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »

Holy cow, now I understand why you guys were complaining about the final boss on hard. So much harder than on normal. I'm going to start my crushing run next and I may look up that exploit I have heard about to finish it off.

EDIT: Ouch, crushing is hard. I've made it to the beginning of chapter 4 so far.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:50:40 AM by Teggy » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »

well, i got hit with the level 25 freeze bug, pretty much as soon as the last line nate says about it all being clear.  lucky me. 

at least it autosaves.  i hadn't saved since midway through level 22.  i also found that the assault shotgun does wonders against all enemies.  man, that just tears them apart.  pretty much one shot on normals and two or three on the body armored guys. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2009, 07:40:14 AM »

Yeah, when you get attacked by multiple armored guys I make a habit out of picking up the nearest shotgun and using it to take them down. It's really effective, particularly since its spread means you need to spend less time out of cover in order to aim. Against normal enemies I stick to my rifles though. smile

At least they made all weapons viable in this game. In Uncharted 1 I barely used anything else than the pistol, even at the end of the game. The pistol was just way too good there. It's still really good in Uncharted 2, but it's no longer the ultimate weapon, and you get plenty of ammo for the other weapons anyway.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 22, 2009, 07:40:14 AM

Yeah, when you get attacked by multiple armored guys I make a habit out of picking up the nearest shotgun and using it to take them down. It's really effective, particularly since its spread means you need to spend less time out of cover in order to aim. Against normal enemies I stick to my rifles though. smile

At least they made all weapons viable in this game. In Uncharted 1 I barely used anything else than the pistol, even at the end of the game. The pistol was just way too good there. It's still really good in Uncharted 2, but it's no longer the ultimate weapon, and you get plenty of ammo for the other weapons anyway.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised of the weapon selection throughout the game.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »

I'm a bit annoyed at the MP matchup system.  Searching for a match is too slow and then there are load times.  Big difference from most other games like COD4 where I can jump into a match almost immediately.  Also it seems that after every match, you have to search for a new one?

Any GT folks partying up for this?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 22, 2009, 03:17:19 PM

I'm a bit annoyed at the MP matchup system.  Searching for a match is too slow and then there are load times.  Big difference from most other games like COD4 where I can jump into a match almost immediately.  Also it seems that after every match, you have to search for a new one?

Any GT folks partying up for this?

Yeah, the matchmaking isn't great, but the gameplay is very fun. I am definitely in for MP if people want to play. I also need my co-op trophy because our last attempt got screwed up by someone dropping.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »

Beat the game last night.  Quite awesome overall.  I think the gameplay is better on uncharted 1, but the presentation is far better in the 2nd.  As mentioned before, the first game had less weapon/ammo drops which made it challenging on normal.  Here in Uncharted 2, they're everywhere.  I didn't have to worry.  I wish they kept the same philosophy. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was kinda hoping Elena would have died, not that I didn't like her character, but they could use that to make another game, Uncharted 3: Nates Revenge
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 22, 2009, 06:56:10 PM

Beat the game last night.  Quite awesome overall.  I think the gameplay is better on uncharted 1, but the presentation is far better in the 2nd.  As mentioned before, the first game had less weapon/ammo drops which made it challenging on normal.  Here in Uncharted 2, they're everywhere.  I didn't have to worry.  I wish they kept the same philosophy. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was kinda hoping Elena would have died, not that I didn't like her character, but they could use that to make another game, Uncharted 3: Nates Revenge

Spoiler for Hiden:
I would have kicked my TV if they had killed her off!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I'm glad that she didn't die not only because she is a great character but because for the most part they seem to have avoided cheap melodrama in the series (Chloe I thought was even more likely to die just to generate some emotion).  

However it certainly brings an interesting dilemma to how to handle the next game.  Breaking them up again just won't work.  So either they perhaps give her a dire injury to serve as Nate's motivation for the next game's artifact (as I think Turtle speculated) or perhaps they do that rare thing and just write them as a happy couple that enjoys adventuring together.  I kind of hope it's the latter just because it's so rare that anyone attempts it it any medium and I think Amy Hennig is probably up to making it work.  
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 07:00:54 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I'm glad that she didn't die not only because she is a great character but because for the most part they seem to have avoided cheap melodrama in the series (Chloe I thought was even more likely to die just to generate some emotion).  

However it certainly brings an interesting dilemma to how to handle the next game.  Breaking them up again just won't work.  So either they perhaps give her a dire injury to serve as Nate's motivation for the next game's artifact (as I think Turtle speculated) or perhaps they do that rare thing and just write them as a happy couple that enjoys adventuring together.  I kind of hope it's the latter just because it's so rare that anyone attempts it it any medium and I think Amy Hennig is probably up to making it work.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think this is the likely option. Elena has shown herself to be a viable counterpart to Nate without making things boring. She's often even one step ahead of him, challenging him to deal with situations in ways he might not expect, though they do think very much alike.

Also, killing her off would have made the game way too dark, and that doesn't suit Uncharted in my opinion.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 22, 2009, 07:48:08 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think this is the likely option. Elena has shown herself to be a viable counterpart to Nate without making things boring. She's often even one step ahead of him, challenging him to deal with situations in ways he might not expect, though they do think very much alike.

Also, killing her off would have made the game way too dark, and that doesn't suit Uncharted in my opinion.

Spoiler for Hiden:
while i think/hope they'll be a couple, at this point (tho i don't think this rules out the appearance of a new potential 'love interest' smile ), i also just see elena possibly off doing her journalism thing, while nate gets sucked/suckered into whatever comes next (with maybe elena serving as a resource along the lines of oracle in b:aa?). as great as elena's involvement in u2 was, i'm not sure nd wants or needs to be restricted in what they choose to do, &, now that she's solidly established as a character (as is their relationship), i'd say that frees them up to sideline her as much as anything else...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 22, 2009, 07:48:08 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Next game should be drop-in/drop-out co-op for the whole game with Nate and Elena. Almost the whole game you have an AI partner, it makes perfect sense. Have them take different routes sometimes, like in Gears, use each other to hoist over obstacles, like in RE5, etc.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »

Instead of a sequel, I think I'd rather see ND use a similar approach on something completely new.  They are brilliant at dialog and acting, why not use that to tell a different story (i.e. not Indiana Jones).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 22, 2009, 08:57:13 PM

Instead of a sequel, I think I'd rather see ND use a similar approach on something completely new.  They are brilliant at dialog and acting, why not use that to tell a different story (i.e. not Indiana Jones).

Burn the heretic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 22, 2009, 08:57:13 PM

Um, because then there wouldn't be a trilogy? Everything has to be a trilogy these days. smile

I do wonder, if they were to make a new Jak, would they incorporate some of the set piece action sequences?

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »

Anyone up for MP, add skystride to your friend list.  I've mostly been gaming on Live with GTers, so I didn't add myself to the PS3 list until now.  Didn't even have a headset until recently.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: