http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:13:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19535 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »

Eurogamer did a pretty good interview with the Uncharted 2 team, check it out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-2-among-thieves-launch-interview?page=1

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

I'm playing through on Hard and I scoured the hell out of Chapter 2, but still missed 2 hidden treasures...I have no clue where they could be.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 18, 2009, 05:58:09 PM

Eurogamer did a pretty good interview with the Uncharted 2 team, check it out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-2-among-thieves-launch-interview?page=1

Very good read that touches on items that a lot of people are discussing back and forth in this thread. Thanks for the link!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »

absolutely fantastic game!  i just finished and loved every minute from start to finish.  my playthrough on Normal clocked in at 11:49:00 and i managed to find 45/100 treasures, although i have to admit i wasn't trying all that hard to find the treasures.  i honestly can't say that there was any segment of the game that i really disliked.  sure, there were a few parts that were a bit tricky on the first one or two tries, but i can't remember any area that really tripped me up to a point of frustration.  the story is very entertaining, is told through fantastic cutscenes, and the characters feel more real than just about any other game that i can remember thanks to incredible voice acting and animation.  wrap it all around some really great third-person gunplay and platforming, and Naughty Dog has once again crafted on hell of a game...even managed to top the greatness of the original Uncharted in my opinion.  Uncharted 2 is definitely among my top gaming experiences of not only this generation but of all time...doesn't quite reach the top of my list though...

now i just need another run to find more of the treasure and earn enough cash to unlock everything.  unfortunately, that will have to wait.   Brutal Legend is calling, and the flood of potentially great new releases is just beginning...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:28:58 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »

Finished today and it also took me just shy of 12 hours on normal. I absolutely LOVED this game. Better than U1 for me. Is it the best single player game of all time? I don't know, that's kind of a hard thing to say about any game, but I won't begrudge anyone who wishes to place that honor on this title.

What I will say (and others have said similar), is that this is the most cinematic game I have ever played. The tension, action and emotion in the segments, combined with perfect camera angles and clever scripted events gave me the feeling of a tightly paced summer blockbuster action movie. And the voice acting, facial expressions and mocap were perfect. Someone else already mentioned the exchange between the two characters that happens at the end of the game - I have to agree that that was incredibly sweet and well acted and I was smiling through the whole thing.

All of these parts of the game
Spoiler for Hiden:
Helicopter attack in the city
Helping the camera guy
Running with Elena through the streets
Train ride
Tank siege
Convoy
Escape from Shambhala
(and I'm sure there were others I am forgetting) really felt like controlling a movie, not just like playing a game. This should have been an Indiana Jones game.  Turn Nate into Indy, Elena into Marion and the bad guys into Nazis. Could you imagine?

I actually didn't have any problem with the last boss fight. It took less than ten minutes. I figured out what I was supposed to do very quickly (and was playing on normal). Uncharted 1's endgame was significantly harder, including the approach to the actual "boss". Based on what Kevin said, it sounds like they eased up the difficulty this time around, although I found normal to be quite comfortable for me. I died occasionally, but never got frustrated. I do think that it is interesting that they have a "very easy" setting besides "easy". Can you even die if you choose that?

I think the game did peter out a bit in the last 1/4 or so, particularly because it lacked the big action sequences and scripted events (like those I mentioned in my spoiler above). I don't know if this is because the setting didn't allow for that kind of gameplay, they didn't have time to implement some other segments, or they just blew their ideas on the earlier part of the game. I didn't find it to be bad, but it felt more like Uncharted 1, which I didn't think had the tension and excitement that this game has.

Regarding the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Guardians: I was wondering if something like that would appear. I didn't really like the Descendants in Uncharted 1. They were just another version of The Flood, which I am not fond of, and seem to be copied by many games. Somewhere late in a game, you get surprised by the introduction of a brand new enemy, which tends to be genetically altered in some way, great in number and attacks wildly. They did this in Gears of War 2, Uncharted and some other games that are escaping me at the moment. When I saw the Yeti, I thought to myself that this was going to turn into yet another version of the Flood, but it wound up not being too bad. You only fought them 5 or 6 times, and as someone mentioned, once you realized the crossbow killed them quickly, it wasn't a big deal. So I won't say I loved them, but I will give ND a pass this time. And the fact that the Yeti are actually guys in suits was a cute touch.

EDIT: added some more thoughts and fixed grammar, since I originally wrote this on my phone.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:23:54 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2009, 12:47:51 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2009, 04:17:31 AM

Regarding the earlier discussion on how long he had previously known Flynn and Chloe- according to the "Little Black Book" section of Nate's journal, he met Chloe in 2002. 

I also learned from the journal that (I think) Uncharted 1 took place in Papua, New Guinea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_%28province%29
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:50 AM »

Finished it.

Loved it.

Want Uncharted 3.

Now.

Please?

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »

I thought it was funny how many times they used the "one person jumps a gap, and the other person catches them by one hand" trick.  I started counting, and they did that at least six times.  It got kind of funny when the women started catching the men.  These chicks must have some intense upper body strength.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Favorite quote from the game:

Spoiler for Hiden:
"How the hell am I supposed to fight a hel-lo!"
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 19, 2009, 12:01:46 PM

I thought it was funny how many times they used the "one person jumps a gap, and the other person catches them by one hand" trick.  I started counting, and they did that at least six times.  It got kind of funny when the women started catching the men.  These chicks must have some intense upper body strength.

Yeah, they relied on a couple of things like that for gameplay's sake. Another being that there were a whole lot of ladders left in the collapsed position, or high ledges that happened to have boxes sitting at the top. They tried to mix it up with having your partner carry a rope.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »

Heh, check out the Japanese boxart:

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »

Well, at least it makes the whole thing look more pulp...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »

I think I prefer the Japanese boxart.  I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted 2 box art.  Neat idea but the I think the color is just too blue.  Not as eyecatching as the original IMO.

I did like one of the alternatives they showed in the concept art.  IIRC it was the same scene but the camera was placed below Drake.  Looked more dynamic to me. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2009, 03:33:06 PM

I think I prefer the Japanese boxart.  I'm not a big fan of the Uncharted 2 box art.  Neat idea but the I think the color is just too blue.  Not as eyecatching as the original IMO.

I did like one of the alternatives they showed in the concept art.  IIRC it was the same scene but the camera was placed below Drake.  Looked more dynamic to me. 

I would have loved it if they were able to get the guy who does the Star Wars and Indy posters to make one for Uncharted.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »

Drew Struzan?  Yeah, that would be pretty damn great. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: October 19, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »

got this on friday. 

opening  was kick ass, especially pieced together the way they did with previous events.  loved the cat burglar stuff too. 

i played up through Nepal on friday.  damn, there are some awesome sequences in there, despite how long it seems to take getting through it.  the details in that section rival any 'destroyed city' environments and still look beautiful. 

then i got to the
Spoiler for Hiden:
train.  that whole section is just awesome, and it ends with a very satisfying conclusion. i thought drake's comment towards the end was fitting about how the train seems to go on forever. biggrin

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »

You know what bugged me from ~Chapter 24:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's that fight at the bridge where they make a big deal of getting you a sniper rifle so you can take guys out as they cross the bridge.  I shot plenty of guys on the far side of the gorge.  Then, after the fight, you see the big bad guy and three of his buddies on the far side of the bridge.  Why on earth can't I just shoot him with my sniper rifle? It's not like we're not certain that he's worth killing.  Going after the stone aside, he's a confirmed war criminal.  But instead of just shooting him, we go chasing after him.  Logical inconsistencies like that really annoy me.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 19, 2009, 05:51:04 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's that fight at the bridge where they make a big deal of getting you a sniper rifle so you can take guys out as they cross the bridge.  I shot plenty of guys on the far side of the gorge.  Then, after the fight, you see the big bad guy and three of his buddies on the far side of the bridge.  Why on earth can't I just shoot him with my sniper rifle? It's not like we're not certain that he's worth killing.  Going after the stone aside, he's a confirmed war criminal.  But instead of just shooting him, we go chasing after him.  Logical inconsistencies like that really annoy me.

ever play mgs3? smile :

Spoiler for Hiden:
if you were fast enough, it actually let you do that with one of the bosses...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 19, 2009, 06:08:22 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

ever play mgs3? smile :

Spoiler for Hiden:
if you were fast enough, it actually let you do that with one of the bosses...

Yup, I remember that.  Which is one of the reasons that the MGS series is pretty awesome.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's that fight at the bridge where they make a big deal of getting you a sniper rifle so you can take guys out as they cross the bridge.  I shot plenty of guys on the far side of the gorge.  Then, after the fight, you see the big bad guy and three of his buddies on the far side of the bridge.  Why on earth can't I just shoot him with my sniper rifle? It's not like we're not certain that he's worth killing.  Going after the stone aside, he's a confirmed war criminal.  But instead of just shooting him, we go chasing after him.  Logical inconsistencies like that really annoy me.

Yes, we know, Wet is GOTY slywink

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

icon_razz  I never said it was GOTY, just that it was damn awesome, and top 5 of the year. 

Now I know how Starshifter feels.   crybaby

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 19, 2009, 06:23:03 PM

icon_razz  I never said it was GOTY, just that it was damn awesome, and top 5 of the year.  

Now I know how Starshifter feels.   crybaby

You feel funny in your pants every time a firetruck goes by?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:28:09 PM by Teggy » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »

I just finished the game on Hard (second playthrough in 5 days). Based on my experiences with the final boss, it should be entirely winnable on Crushing if you can beat it on Hard.

Spoiler for the next-to-last chapter:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was a bit scared about reaching the room where they throw everything and the kitchen sink at you just before you reach the Cintamani Stone, but I actually managed to win it at the first try.

I love how you're still encouraged to do outrageous stunts even on the harder difficulties. In the first Uncharted you just couldn't win at Hard and above if you didn't stay in a corner and take pot shots, or abuse the enemy's limited sight when you're looking around corners, but here you can still run and jump all over the place, get into a fisticuff in the middle of a gunfight, and experiment with different weapons and still win. It's great! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 19, 2009, 07:05:55 PM

I love how you're still encouraged to do outrageous stunts even on the harder difficulties. In the first Uncharted you just couldn't win at Hard and above if you didn't stay in a corner and take pot shots, or abuse the enemy's limited sight when you're looking around corners, but here you can still run and jump all over the place, get into a fisticuff in the middle of a gunfight, and experiment with different weapons and still win. It's great! smile

I kind of think the opposite.  Having played both games on Hard in the past week or so, I find it much, much easier to hunker down behind a single piece of cover in Uncharted 2.  The enemies in Uncharted 1 are so aggressive about flanking that you pretty much have to constantly keep on the move.  Blind fire is also more effective in U2 making it even easier just to remain stable.  In U1 when I spot an enemy on my flank I usually dive out from cover and then use a steel fist melee finisher to get rid of him quickly. 

Also, ammo tends to be scarcer in the original and since the enemies took more hits to go down and were better at evading, I am often forced to grab whatever weapon happens to be close at hand.  U2 makes it much easier to just stick with your favorite weapon for the bulk of the game. 

Fundamentally, there is a change in the feel of the combat between the two games.  Uncharted 1 has a very improvisational flair to it as I'm forced to jump between cover, execute a quick melee attack, grab whatever weapon is laying around, etc.  Uncharted 2 feels much more like an expanded version of Gears style combat- more stable, occurring over a longer range,  with more precision.  Both are great models but I actually miss the Uncharted 1 style because it very unique in among stop-and-pop shooters and I always felt it was a great fit for Drake's character. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

I guess what you're describing is possible at Hard or below in Uncharted 1, but having played through it in Crushing mode, let me tell you that your described tactics are next to impossible at that difficulty. Your only option at that level is to never use cover (even blind firing is going to get you killed) like the game intends you to do, and instead stand behind tall pieces of cover and use your regular aiming to abuse the AIs limited line of sight around corners. Take a look at the YouTube videos of people playing through Uncharted. They'll do it exactly like I just described.

Also, melee is way too dangerous and imprecise to use on Crushing in the old game. There's no way you'd survive jumping from cover to cover, scrounging for ammo while people are shooting at you, or doing anything but dishing out headshot after headshot.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »

Oh yeah, I can't play Uncharted 1 on Crushing.  Too masochistic.  The fact that almost everybody uses a camera glitch to get enemies without going into cover tells me everything I need to know.  But Hard mode in Uncharted 1 isn't bad at all. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2009, 07:26:09 PM

Oh yeah, I can't play Uncharted 1 on Crushing.  Too masochistic.  The fact that almost everybody uses a camera glitch to get enemies without going into cover tells me everything I need to know.  But Hard mode in Uncharted 1 isn't bad at all. 

I have never played through on Hard with Uncharted 1 and I think I will do so for my next play through.  Currently, I am playing on Hard for Uncharted 2 and it has been no problem.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2009, 07:26:09 PM

The fact that almost everybody uses a camera glitch to get enemies without going into cover tells me everything I need to know.

I didn't understand what you meant by this so I watched a clip on Youtube. That's kind of silly that you can't actually play the game as it was intended. They must not have done much playtesting. I wonder if that's why they dialed back the difficulty for the second game.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

I'm guessing that people are abusing bugs because they are just average gamers and maybe that mode is designed for 0.01% of the population with super human reflexes.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 19, 2009, 08:15:59 PM

I'm guessing that people are abusing bugs because they are just average gamers and maybe that mode is designed for 0.01% of the population with super human reflexes.

I thought that was Kevin Grey?

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »

I had to return my rental today.  I got:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mid-way through the snow/mountain level after the train level ( beating that boss, which was kind of tough). 

I love the game.  Easily my game of the year.  I will rent it again soon to beat it. 

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »

I've gotten about halfway through Uncharted 1 on Crushing and it doesn't take super human reflexes or exploiting bugs, it just takes a lot of time and patience. As Kevin said, it's fairly masochistic. Some of the set pieces took me over an hour and maybe 15 or more attempts to beat. And yes, you pretty much sit in one spot because you can't move or poke your head out of cover for more than a few seconds without dying.

I did find melee useful in some fights where you could lure the enemies around a corner out of the sight of the rest of them.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »

Crazy impressed with Naughty Dog, and the stuff they did in this game!  So many jaw-dropping moments, every act seemed to have a standout moment.  What a ride.

I enjoyed the decision to allow us to sneak if we wanted to.  I usually took out a guy or two before I was caught, but it was a nice touch.

The platforming was better than the original, but I had some issues with some of the encounters.  Playing on normal, I encountered a few really frustrating parts.  Eh, either way, it didn't really hurt how much I enjoyed the game.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The end boss, though, ugh.

The MP is pretty fun, too.

Easily my GOTY.

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:09 AM »

Question about the sneaking, can you sneak through everything?  In my second playthrough I am trying to be more sneaky as opposed to more shooty and it seems like if you sneak enough, they shut the door on you.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 20, 2009, 01:12:09 AM

Question about the sneaking, can you sneak through everything?  In my second playthrough I am trying to be more sneaky as opposed to more shooty and it seems like if you sneak enough, they shut the door on you.

I think their goal (and I believe ND talked about this on the X-Play special) was to allow you to "thin the herd" in most cases, but then wind up in a firefight. There's a few cases, though that I think you can take out everyone.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think you should be able to clear out the Borneo camp, although I didn't manage to do it. There's even a secret path through the jungle you can take after taking out the first guy to come up behind the guards.

Right after you escape with Elena through the streets, you are unarmed and in an area with five guards. The first 3 stealth kills seem pretty obvious, and I also got the fourth guy, but the fifth guy I wound up having to punch out. I think if I timed it better, though, I could have stealthed them all.

However, there's also cases like the hotel, where you jump across to a window and can pull one guy out and then get a guy near the kitchen, but there are 2 guys at the doorway. If you try to grab one, the other sees you. Also, the area where you eventually arm the explosives - you can get a guy at the beginning, but after that I think you pretty much have to open fire.

I'm about halfway through my run on hard. I've been picking up some of the treasures I've missed, but I'm still missing some. They really hid those suckers well!  It's been helpful if I am going to do a crushing run, because I  am finding all the optimal ways to get through firefights. I found a great way to get through the start of chapter 6.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2009, 01:53:58 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 20, 2009, 01:44:28 AM

I think their goal (and I believe ND talked about this on the X-Play special) was to allow you to "thin the herd" in most cases, but then wind up in a firefight. There's a few cases, though that I think you can take out everyone.

that's definitely how i saw it, & i was fine with that - it's not a stealth game, at it's core, but giving you that option was huge for me, & made nate much more fluid & versatile (& believable) as a character...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:54 AM »

After the fighting starts, you can still duck behind cover, then move around to get behind them without them knowing it.  You no longer get the stealth bonus items, but I've finished off large groups by getting behind them.

I really like how Nate responds to various AI shouts now.  The AI will yell stuff like, "You're dead Drake!" and he'll respond with "We'll see about that!".  It adds even more character to a game that's already full to the brim with it.

Just about to start my hard play through, going for trophies that I missed to try and platinum the game.  I want to find out what the last single player skin is.  I'm currently playing with donut drake and it's just hilarious, especially since they alter the sound of Drake's voice while you play that version.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2009, 02:13:08 AM »

OK cool that's how I was able to do it also, "thin the herd" then shoot it out with the rest.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2009, 05:18:09 AM »

There are a few areas where if you totally stealth through the enemies then you avoid a trigger that would call in a big firefight with lots of reinforcements. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 20, 2009, 05:18:09 AM

There are a few areas where if you totally stealth through the enemies then you avoid a trigger that would call in a big firefight with lots of reinforcements. 

Well for example, in Chapter 3 & 4:

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Sully says, let's take these guys out...quietly.  I got all the dudes on the ground floor and there were the two guys standing above the water looking down...I couldn't take the first guy down without the second up-high guy seeing me.  Is this normal?

Also, the area where the bombs are planted, I think it's chapter 4 when you have to clear out the camp.  I could only get 1 guy before the guy who is perched above sees me and starts shooting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: