http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:14:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19015 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5491



View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 17, 2009, 12:35:38 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 11:25:51 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 11:20:03 PM

Interesting, I never looked at it from that angle.

Spoiler for MORE ENDGAME SPOILERS:
  I really enjoy the way that Naughty Dog handles the stuff in the series.  The supernatural/mythic elements are important parts of these legends but they manage to come up with somewhat conventional explanations that still preserve the threats and power of those legends.

Spoiler for Even more endgame talk, and stuff about my question earlier:
Same here.  I enjoy their takes on these aspects.  It's the cultures and legends that have made these things supernatural, but each relic has something that makes it plausible even if the effects of them are way out there.

Still not sure what happened to the Polo's crew.  I'm going to replay it and see if there's something I missed, but Polo's crew dying is a bit odd.  I wonder if there's a difference between eating the dried resin, or the liquid?  Besides the altered villagers, and the dead crew, nothing else indicates that the life juice does anything besides heal you and make you basically immortal.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You know what I just realized? I was about to respond to your comment anout the life juice making you immortal by saying Drake had killed the final boss who drank it. However, all we actualy see his him getting pummeled by the yeti people which doesn't mean he was killed. Will he return in Uncharted 3, I wonder?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:21:38 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2009, 01:39:53 AM »

close to finished (i have to believe), so no spoilers from me - but i do have my single-favorite blooper moment (from late in the game):

Spoiler for Hiden:
nate & elena are making their way thru the temple, & have to walk across a beam. nate starts across, & suddenly elena goes barging by, knocking nate over, & leaving him hanging from it smile ...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2009, 02:08:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 17, 2009, 12:35:38 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 11:25:51 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 11:20:03 PM

Interesting, I never looked at it from that angle.

Spoiler for MORE ENDGAME SPOILERS:
  I really enjoy the way that Naughty Dog handles the stuff in the series.  The supernatural/mythic elements are important parts of these legends but they manage to come up with somewhat conventional explanations that still preserve the threats and power of those legends.

Spoiler for Even more endgame talk, and stuff about my question earlier:
Same here.  I enjoy their takes on these aspects.  It's the cultures and legends that have made these things supernatural, but each relic has something that makes it plausible even if the effects of them are way out there.

Still not sure what happened to the Polo's crew.  I'm going to replay it and see if there's something I missed, but Polo's crew dying is a bit odd.  I wonder if there's a difference between eating the dried resin, or the liquid?  Besides the altered villagers, and the dead crew, nothing else indicates that the life juice does anything besides heal you and make you basically immortal.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I think the resin also makes you more aggressive and warlike (pretty sure that's stated somewhere).  Which is what I think happened to Shamballa- it's an a decayed state because the inhabitents have turned so violent that they no longer make any effort into maintaining the place.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 9307



View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 17, 2009, 01:19:37 AM


Spoiler for Hiden:
You know what I just realized? I was about to respond to your comment anout the life juice making you immortal by saying Drake had killed the final boss who drank it. However, all we actualy see his him getting pummeled by the yeti people which doesn't mean he was killed. Will he return in Uncharted 3, I wonder?

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's unlikely.  It's been shown that drinking the stuff doesn't quite make you immortal, just very very hard to kill.  Remember that all those natives drank the stuff, and they just need lots of firepower to kill rather than.  You can't really heal from being torn apart, but the kind of damage bullets do mainly causes pain and disrupts vital organs, and causes bleeding, all of which can be healed quickly by the juice.  In the final battle, you'll notice that it's mainly explosions that deal MASSIVE DAMAGE hurt him.
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15291


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:01 AM »

Co op in this game ROCKS.

Teg and I were playing with some random and it was awesome...until he decided to stop playing so we couldn't advance and had to forfeit.

<sigh>
Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2009, 02:31:44 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 17, 2009, 02:25:01 AM

Co op in this game ROCKS.

Teg and I were playing with some random and it was awesome...until he decided to stop playing so we couldn't advance and had to forfeit.

<sigh>
What are the coop missions?  Are they new stuff that's coop only?
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 9307



View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2009, 03:13:06 AM »

They're segments of single player levels changed a bit and strung together for co-op.  Works great and is really fun.
Logged
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8527


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2009, 03:16:15 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 17, 2009, 02:31:44 AM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 17, 2009, 02:25:01 AM

Co op in this game ROCKS.

Teg and I were playing with some random and it was awesome...until he decided to stop playing so we couldn't advance and had to forfeit.

<sigh>
What are the coop missions?  Are they new stuff that's coop only?

They are mini missions with the characters - they have mini storylines, short cutscenes and full voice work. Very cool. I'm not sure how many of them there are, but I don't think there are more a few. The downside to them having a little more production value (unlike Resistance 2, where they had quite a few, but it was only text for the story). As SL also mentioned, they lack a kick feature, and since all players are required to get past the checkpoints (you meet up in an area and hold triangle), you can get stuck. I think we were pretty much at the end, too, so it was lame.

I totally dig the competitive MP. It has the nice cover system you get with Gears, but is much faster moving, and of course you get the ability to climb up and down into all sorts of interesting tactical spots. I hope we can get a bunch of people playing.

Oh, there is also a Horde-like mode, but we didn't try it. I also haven't tried any of the other MP types other than elimination and deathmatch. People seem to be talking a lot about Plunder mode.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:21:26 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »

Regarding the earlier discussion on how long he had previously known Flynn and Chloe- according to the "Little Black Book" section of Nate's journal, he met Chloe in 2002. 
Logged
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8527


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

Oh yeah, definitely make sure to go through all the pages in Nate's journal. smile
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 01:27:01 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 16, 2009, 01:22:54 PM

He obviously had a past relationship with Flynn but this was the first time meeting Chloe.

Nope.  Watch the beginning cutscenes again- Chloe walks up, Drake recognizes her, is about to say her name but then Chloe introduces herself, basically telling Drake to play it like they are strangers so Nate plays along while he tries to figure out what's going on (that's what the second scene in Chapter 1, with Chloe and Nate in the bedroom makes clear). They have a past relationship (Drake walked out on her) but Flynn doesn't know about it.  Watch the body language and expressions in that first scene- phenomenal job by Naughty Dog in making play differently once you know the truth.  

I watched this again and I think KG nailed it.  So cool to go back to the game after playing through and seeing things you totally missed the first time through.   

Also I found more treasures already in my second playthrough that i can't believe I missed.  Some levels I barely found half, I can't believe it!
Logged
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3224



View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 17, 2009, 05:43:54 PM

Also I found more treasures already in my second playthrough that i can't believe I missed.  Some levels I barely found half, I can't believe it!

They put more of them in 'out of the way' places in this game it seems, especially up high where you've got to shoot the darn things to get them down. "Lovely artifact, old chap, but what's with the bullet hole in it?"  icon_wink
Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »

well, shit! smile ...

absolutely fucking amazing! - among thieves is a masterpiece! yeah, there were sequences i could've lived without:

Spoiler for Hiden:
like, any featuring the goddamn guardians smile ...

but, afa a total package, u:at verges on landmark status - it's pretty much everything 'next-gen' gaming was supposed to be, & then some...

some post-game asides:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) chloe, to me, was more reminiscent of the original lara croft than the current lara croft - kinda funny that nd would successfully cash in on a fundamentally cool character that eidos has never seemed to know where to go with...
2) when you were teamed up with flynn near the end, did anyone else try to slug him?...
3) what i really want? - either dlc, or a spin-off, starring tenzin, who's easily one of the most original, badass supporting characters in video game history smile ...
4) all praise to the train sequence! except when getting frustrated ( smile ), i could not stop smiling all the way thru it...
 
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 17, 2009, 10:26:30 PM

well, shit! smile ...

absolutely fucking amazing! - among thieves is a masterpiece! yeah, there were sequences i could've lived without:

Spoiler for Hiden:
like, any featuring the goddamn guardians smile ...

but, afa a total package, u:at verges on landmark status - it's pretty much everything 'next-gen' gaming was supposed to be, & then some...

some post-game asides:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) chloe, to me, was more reminiscent of the original lara croft than the current lara croft - kinda funny that nd would successfully cash in on a fundamentally cool character that eidos has never seemed to know where to go with...
2) when you were teamed up with flynn near the end, did anyone else try to slug him?...
3) what i really want? - either dlc, or a spin-off, starring tenzin, who's easily one of the most original, badass supporting characters in video game history smile ...
4) all praise to the train sequence! except when getting frustrated ( smile ), i could not stop smiling all the way thru it...
 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah I tried to punch Flynn....until he shot me in the back frown
Logged
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 17, 2009, 10:31:55 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on October 17, 2009, 10:26:30 PM

well, shit! smile ...

absolutely fucking amazing! - among thieves is a masterpiece! yeah, there were sequences i could've lived without:

Spoiler for Hiden:
like, any featuring the goddamn guardians smile ...

but, afa a total package, u:at verges on landmark status - it's pretty much everything 'next-gen' gaming was supposed to be, & then some...

some post-game asides:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) chloe, to me, was more reminiscent of the original lara croft than the current lara croft - kinda funny that nd would successfully cash in on a fundamentally cool character that eidos has never seemed to know where to go with...
2) when you were teamed up with flynn near the end, did anyone else try to slug him?...
3) what i really want? - either dlc, or a spin-off, starring tenzin, who's easily one of the most original, badass supporting characters in video game history smile ...
4) all praise to the train sequence! except when getting frustrated ( smile ), i could not stop smiling all the way thru it...
 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah I tried to punch Flynn....until he shot me in the back frown

Spoiler for Hiden:
whoa! - i only did it 3 times, & he'd just whack me with the pistol smile ...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8134


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »

Any of you guys playing this game that has one of the old PS3s?  A friend of mine had his crap out and I found a thread on the Playstation forums where lots of people with the 60 and 40G PS3s are having the game shut their PS3 offs after a little bit of playing and also causing the YLOD.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
spigot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 828


All of the bacon and eggs you have.


View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »

I'm seriously thinking about finally picking up a PS3 because of this game. It looks amazing. The new 250GB model is calling my name.....
Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2009, 12:21:13 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2009, 12:12:01 AM

Any of you guys playing this game that has one of the old PS3s?  A friend of mine had his crap out and I found a thread on the Playstation forums where lots of people with the 60 and 40G PS3s are having the game shut their PS3 offs after a little bit of playing and also causing the YLOD.

While waiting the 24 hours for Amazon to replace my busted slim, I broke out my old 40 GB and played with no problems.  It was only for a day though, until the new slim came and I switched back to that.
Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »

Quote from: spigot on October 18, 2009, 12:12:07 AM

I'm seriously thinking about finally picking up a PS3 because of this game. It looks amazing. The new 250GB model is calling my name.....

And you can get the first game for cheap, too.  Well worth it to play them both!
Logged
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5212



View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:07 AM »

Finished it.  Was a fun ride, and one of the better games of the year.  I absolutely hated the final boss fight though.  I definitely don't agree with the assertion that this is the best single player game ever made.  Still a solid title.  And now that I'm done with it, I can get back to Brutal Legend.  Hooray!
Logged

ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15291


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2009, 01:17:06 AM »

Playing on a 60 gb, at the beginning of chapter 3. Played about 2 hrs of MP too. No problems.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2009, 02:02:15 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 17, 2009, 10:26:30 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
like, any featuring the goddamn guardians smile ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
  The only time they gave me trouble was the very first battle in Shamballa where you have to use conventional weapons.  But once you kill one of them you get the crossbow which makes the others easy.  And in all of the subsequent guardian battles I was able to get RPGs and Gatling guns which made mincemeat of them.

Quote
Spoiler for Hiden:
1) chloe, to me, was more reminiscent of the original lara croft than the current lara croft - kinda funny that nd would successfully cash in on a fundamentally cool character that eidos has never seemed to know where to go with...
2) when you were teamed up with flynn near the end, did anyone else try to slug him?...
3) what i really want? - either dlc, or a spin-off, starring tenzin, who's easily one of the most original, badass supporting characters in video game history smile ...
4) all praise to the train sequence! except when getting frustrated ( smile ), i could not stop smiling all the way thru it...
 

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) I was so happy that they didn't kill her off.  I figured she would die, perhaps sacrificing herself for Drake in the end.  When that Guardian attacked her at the very end I though "this is it, she's a goner..." 

2)  Great sequence!  Loved the verbal sparring.  And yeah, I tried hitting him.  If you try twice in a row he shoots you.
3) Tenzen was awesome.  Major kudos to Naughty Dog with making such an awesome character relying just on action, body language, and voice inflection.  Quite an accomplishment.
4) Loved, the train.  Especially playing through it on Crushing where I had to be far more tactical in weaving in and out of windows, on the roof, etc.  I think Convoy was even better though.  The entire time I was playing Convoy all I could think was "OMG, I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!! I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!"
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2009, 02:03:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2009, 12:12:01 AM

Any of you guys playing this game that has one of the old PS3s?  A friend of mine had his crap out and I found a thread on the Playstation forums where lots of people with the 60 and 40G PS3s are having the game shut their PS3 offs after a little bit of playing and also causing the YLOD.

Playing on an original 60 GB model.  I've logged probably 25 hours without a single issue.  However there is a *very* common crash bug on Chapter 25 that seems to hit a lot of people (I haven't seen it though).  However it is immediately after an autosave so no one should lose any progress. 
Logged
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2009, 02:17:14 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 02:02:15 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
4) Loved, the train.  Especially playing through it on Crushing where I had to be far more tactical in weaving in and out of windows, on the roof, etc.  I think Convoy was even better though.  The entire time I was playing Convoy all I could think was "OMG, I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!! I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!"

Spoiler for Hiden:
yeah, the truck sequence was awesome (&, probably like yourself, it'd hardly started before i instantly saw where it was headed smile ) - tho i can't remember how many times i died toward the end before i saw the truck to the right & below smile ...

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 02:03:35 AM

Playing on an original 60 GB model.  I've logged probably 25 hours without a single issue.  However there is a *very* common crash bug on Chapter 25 that seems to hit a lot of people (I haven't seen it though).  However it is immediately after an autosave so no one should lose any progress.

thanks for that - i had that lock-up (on a slim, btw), & was so glad that the game'd auto-saved just before it...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 18, 2009, 02:17:14 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
yeah, the truck sequence was awesome (&, probably like yourself, it'd hardly started before i instantly saw where it was headed smile ) - tho i can't remember how many times i died toward the end before i saw the truck to the right & below smile ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Hehe, yeah, it took me quite a few retries to look below.
Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12508



View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2009, 03:49:31 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 18, 2009, 01:12:07 AM

Finished it.  Was a fun ride, and one of the better games of the year.  I absolutely hated the final boss fight though.  I definitely don't agree with the assertion that this is the best single player game ever made.  Still a solid title.  And now that I'm done with it, I can get back to Brutal Legend.  Hooray!

You are right, Uncharted 1 might still be the best sp game ever made.  I am still not sure which one gets my vote; 1 or 2.  One thing is for sure, Uncharted is my favorite game series of all time. 
Logged
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2009, 04:15:39 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 18, 2009, 01:12:07 AM

I definitely don't agree with the assertion that this is the best single player game ever made.  Still a solid title.

well, tho i don't, either, i can certainly see why other people might think so - it really is that good smile ...

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2009, 03:49:31 AM


You are right, Uncharted 1 might still be the best sp game ever made.  I am still not sure which one gets my vote; 1 or 2.  One thing is for sure, Uncharted is my favorite game series of all time. 

this one easily gets my vote: never mind the extraordinary set pieces, just the inclusion of stealth alone pushes it past the original, imo...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5212



View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2009, 04:58:19 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2009, 03:49:31 AM

Quote from: Chaz on October 18, 2009, 01:12:07 AM

Finished it.  Was a fun ride, and one of the better games of the year.  I absolutely hated the final boss fight though.  I definitely don't agree with the assertion that this is the best single player game ever made.  Still a solid title.  And now that I'm done with it, I can get back to Brutal Legend.  Hooray!

You are right, Uncharted 1 might still be the best sp game ever made.  I am still not sure which one gets my vote; 1 or 2.  One thing is for sure, Uncharted is my favorite game series of all time. 

Yup, you're crazy.  slywink  I liked Uncharted 2 a hell of a lot more than I liked UC1, mainly because they toned down the combat and expanded the platforming a bunch.

But Planescape: Torment remains the best single player game of all time. 
Logged

Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 9307



View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2009, 07:35:22 AM »

So... shall we setup a multiplayer night for this?  Both co-op or even partying up for versus modes?  A group working together, even of just two people, can do amazing things.  I've seen parties on my team dominate the treasure hunt mode where they work together to form a quick daisy chain of people throwing the treasure across the map while one guy sits in the enemy capture zone upstairs and keeps throwing down the treasure of the enemies toss it up.
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6313


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:26 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 02:02:15 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
4) Loved, the train.  Especially playing through it on Crushing where I had to be far more tactical in weaving in and out of windows, on the roof, etc.  I think Convoy was even better though.  The entire time I was playing Convoy all I could think was "OMG, I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!! I'm playing the truck chase from Raiders!!!"

So you're playing on Crushing and are actually managing to get somewhere? Did you play Crushing in the first game? Is it still the same here, in that you die from one or two shots? Some of the battles in this game look impossible on Crushing if that is the case (and I dread the final battle).
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 9307



View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

Well, we know that donut drake isn't the final unlock if you finish everything.  I wonder what it is this time.  I'm having fun running around as Skelzor!
Logged
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4177


my moral standing is lying down...


View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 02:03:35 AM

However there is a *very* common crash bug on Chapter 25 that seems to hit a lot of people (I haven't seen it though).  However it is immediately after an autosave so no one should lose any progress.

i got hit by that bug this evening...game froze right after a very lengthy battle that i'm really hoping i don't have to repeat tomorrow.  it's not that i didn't enjoy the fight, but the idea of doing it all again just because the game froze is more than a little annoying...
Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 743



View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »

beat it last night.  definitely my game of the year and probably the most enjoyable and fun game I've ever played.  Wish it would have been longer, but great games make you feel that way.  I guess I'll see what the multiplayer is all about now.
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15291


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 18, 2009, 07:35:22 AM

So... shall we setup a multiplayer night for this?  Both co-op or even partying up for versus modes?  A group working together, even of just two people, can do amazing things.  I've seen parties on my team dominate the treasure hunt mode where they work together to form a quick daisy chain of people throwing the treasure across the map while one guy sits in the enemy capture zone upstairs and keeps throwing down the treasure of the enemies toss it up.

I'm in, but unavailable until Saturday night. I'd really like another go at coop too. It was really fun.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 18, 2009, 08:29:26 AM

So you're playing on Crushing and are actually managing to get somewhere? Did you play Crushing in the first game? Is it still the same here, in that you die from one or two shots? Some of the battles in this game look impossible on Crushing if that is the case (and I dread the final battle).

I'm up through Chapter 22 now in Crushing and other than the mini-boss on the train it has been smooth sailing. I really don't think it is hard at all.  Much easier than Crushing in the first game and probably even easier than the Hard mode in U1. 

However I am dreading the final boss.  I honestly don't know if I will be able to do it on Crushing. 
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6313


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

Good to hear that it's a bit easier than it used to be, but do you still get killed in 1-2 shots, or did they change that from the first game?
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »

Don't know if it's 1-2 shots but it is pretty quick.  But the enemies are less aggressive than the first game so it's much easier to hunker down in cover. 
Logged
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2549


View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Just finished on Hard at 11h 48m.  Loved it.  Amazing!!!!!    I don't now know how Naughty does it.   Brilliant, just brilliant.  There were a few minor things I would change, but what the heck, no game is perfect but ND gets about as close as anyone ever has in my opinion.  
Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15482


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »

I was in the camp that loved U1 except for the fighting, and I'm finding the battles to be just about perfect in U2 (with some minor, but frustrating problems, like the rail takedown mentioned earlier in this thread).

I have to say, I was enjoying U2, but not loving it, until two things happened back to back.  I got the Marco! trophy (followed by the Polo! trophy right after), both just from f-ing around.  And then I went through the sequence from E3.  I finished that whole thing with a giant grin on my face.  There have been a number of moments since then that have brought even more grinning, and I'm having a blast.  It has clicked, for sure.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2009, 03:23:13 PM

I have to say, I was enjoying U2, but not loving it, until two things happened back to back.  I got the Marco! trophy (followed by the Polo! trophy right after), both just from f-ing around.  And then I went through the sequence from E3.  I finished that whole thing with a giant grin on my face.  There have been a number of moments since then that have brought even more grinning, and I'm having a blast.  It has clicked, for sure.

i think, as much as anything else, that's one of nd's finer achievements with u:at: there's something almost universally, & instantly, 'enjoyable' about the game. i'm not saying there aren't flaws, that there aren't sections that don't work as well as others, & that these things might eventually turn some people off, but it's hard for me to imagine just about any gamer not finding themselves quickly slipping into, & getting comfortable with, the whole thing from the get-go. if i think back to other action/adventure games i've played, i'm not sure there've been any that've done this more effectively than u:at, where just about anyone starting it knows they're playing a very good game almost immediately...

of course, the fact that all that follows completely delivers on this initial set-up ain't half-bad, either smile ...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 105 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.057s, 4q)