http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:27:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19098 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 04:20:25 AM

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM

I think it was Andrew that said that he was a little turned off by casting Nathan as a thief.  That's funny, I had the exact same reaction. I thought that Drake was a fortune hunter or a tomb raider, for sure, but I never got the impression in the first game that he was ever involved in crime. I think it would have been better if they had made him turn down the job on principle at first, and then had the potential historical find be so big, so important, that he was willing, just this one time, to cross the line.

It's pretty vital to story and Nate's character development IMO.

Well, I'll reserve my final judgement for after I finish the game, but unless this turns out to be a prequel (and I think Sully already made some comment that indicated it wasn't) I will still say that a robbery went against Nate's characterization in the first game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 11:37:50 AM

You know the other thing I forgot to mention - during the first two chapters I was finding treasures everywhere, but since then (I just started chapter 6) I haven't found any. I've been checking every nook and cranny, too. I'll have to look into that after I finish the game. I figure that I must have missed a bunch already.

There isn't any treasure in Level 5.  

But, yeah, treasure is much more cleverly hidden in this game than the first.  I thought I was being pretty good about taking it slow and looking around but I only finished with 45/100.  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 12:48:12 PM

Well, I'll reserve my final judgement for after I finish the game, but unless this turns out to be a prequel (and I think Sully already made some comment that indicated it wasn't) I will still say that a robbery went against Nate's characterization in the first game.

In the first game, yes, probably.  But I think his relationship with Chloe and Flynn predate the first game by a fair amount.  My sense of Nate is that he was already starting to climb his way back up to the straight and narrow by the time the first game started. But he has backslid by a fair amount when the second game starts so when Chloe and Flynn show up he seems to kind of latch on to try and regain some of his former "glory".  He is like Dennis Haysbert's character in Heat- trying to do the right thing but then Robert DeNiro and his old crew show up and ask him to take part in another job and he gives it all up. 

So at the beginning of the game he has basically reverted to his personality a bit before the beginning of Uncharted 1. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »

I decided to play MP after all. I still suck.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 01:01:26 PM

In the first game, yes, probably.  But I think his relationship with Chloe and Flynn predate the first game by a fair amount.  My sense of Nate is that he was already starting to climb his way back up to the straight and narrow by the time the first game started. But he has backslid by a fair amount when the second game starts so when Chloe and Flynn show up he seems to kind of latch on to try and regain some of his former "glory".  He is like Dennis Haysbert's character in Heat- trying to do the right thing but then Robert DeNiro and his old crew show up and ask him to take part in another job and he gives it all up. 

So at the beginning of the game he has basically reverted to his personality a bit before the beginning of Uncharted 1. 

He obviously had a past relationship with Flynn but this was the first time meeting Chloe. And you're right in that the first game was strictly Nate the Treasure Hunting guy, but it seems he had a somewhat shady past that we didn't really know about. When the job is first presented to him, Flynn mentions that the museum has been robbed before and 'only one person managed to make it out alive' and he was referring to Nate. Plus there's the comments about the alarms not being there the last time he was there.

He initially turned down the job when he thought it was just a simple robbery for some collector nut job, but once the treasure aspect came up with Marco Polo, he was all over it.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 16, 2009, 01:22:54 PM

He obviously had a past relationship with Flynn but this was the first time meeting Chloe.

Nope.  Watch the beginning cutscenes again- Chloe walks up, Drake recognizes her, is about to say her name but then Chloe introduces herself, basically telling Drake to play it like they are strangers so Nate plays along while he tries to figure out what's going on (that's what the second scene in Chapter 1, with Chloe and Nate in the bedroom makes clear). They have a past relationship (Drake walked out on her) but Flynn doesn't know about it.  Watch the body language and expressions in that first scene- phenomenal job by Naughty Dog in making play differently once you know the truth.  
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 01:27:01 PM

He obviously had a past relationship with Flynn but this was the first time meeting Chloe.

Nope.  Watch the beginning cutscenes again- Chloe walks up, Drake recognizes her, is about to say her name but then Chloe introduces herself, basically telling Drake to play it like they are strangers so Nate plays along while he tries to figure out what's going on (that's what the second scene in Chapter 1, with Chloe and Nate in the bedroom makes clear). They have a past relationship (Drake walked out on her) but Flynn doesn't know about it.  Watch the body language and expressions in that first scene- phenomenal job by Naughty Dog in making play differently once you know the truth.  

Yeah, I was about to say this. It's pretty clear he has a history with Chloe.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 16, 2009, 01:17:58 PM

http://www.naughtydog.com/stats/index/SensuousLettuce

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 01:29:56 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 01:27:01 PM

Yeah, I was about to say this. It's pretty clear he has a history with Chloe.

Ah... that makes much more sense now that I go back and watch it again. I guess I was assuming more time had passed between those first two cut-scenes and the 'walked out' part was in-between there somehow. D'oh.

And yes, huge kudos to ND for the body language and facial expressions here, phenomenal work.  thumbsup

-craig

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2009, 01:51:38 PM »

My one complaint about the game other than the lackluster final boss fight- This game needed more...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sully!  So sad when he left after Chapter 4.  I love his chemistry with Nate.  I did like his Butch and Sundance departure though. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 01:33:38 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 16, 2009, 01:17:58 PM

http://www.naughtydog.com/stats/index/SensuousLettuce

Yeah. Thanks for that humiliation  crybaby crybaby crybaby
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 04:20:25 AM

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM

I think it was Andrew that said that he was a little turned off by casting Nathan as a thief.  That's funny, I had the exact same reaction. I thought that Drake was a fortune hunter or a tomb raider, for sure, but I never got the impression in the first game that he was ever involved in crime. I think it would have been better if they had made him turn down the job on principle at first, and then had the potential historical find be so big, so important, that he was willing, just this one time, to cross the line.

It's pretty vital to story and Nate's character development IMO.

FWIW, the strategy guide notes that it's been "a couple of years" between these two adventures.

-craig

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

In terms of my cinematic pacing comment from earlier- the first page of the Eurogamer review writes up what I was feeling far better than I could but I wouldn't read it until you are at least to Chapter 16 since I think it spoils things way too much:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-2-among-thieves-review
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 03:45:06 PM

In terms of my cinematic pacing comment from earlier- the first page of the Eurogamer review writes up what I was feeling far better than I could but I wouldn't read it until you are at least to Chapter 16 since I think it spoils things way too much:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-2-among-thieves-review

thanks for the warning kg.  i usually read eurogamer's reviews because they tend to keep spoilers out.  i guess not this time though. 

i'm kind of bummed that i didn't get this in the mail yet.  the last two nights were wide open for gaming and i could have played the bejeezus out of this.  now, the weekend is pretty busy and i'm not even sure i'll have this to play before saturday. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »

I'm so close to the finish and I don't want the adventure to end  crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »

You know the other thing I forgot to mention - during the first two chapters I was finding treasures everywhere, but since then (I just started chapter 6) I haven't found any. I've been checking every nook and cranny, too. I'll have to look into that after I finish the game. I figure that I must have missed a bunch already.

Yeah, once I got to Nepal I pretty much forfeited my aspirations as a treasure hunter.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 16, 2009, 05:55:35 PM

Yeah, once I got to Nepal I pretty much forfeited my aspirations as a treasure hunter.

I'm about 95% through and I thought I was doing a crazy good job of going slow and finding everything and I only have 52 treasures.  I can't imagine what I missed.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 05:59:49 PM

Quote from: Ridah on October 16, 2009, 05:55:35 PM

I'm about 95% through and I thought I was doing a crazy good job of going slow and finding everything and I only have 52 treasures.  I can't imagine what I missed.

Were you using the shovel? I think it's on R3.

slywink

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »

I've been digging everywhere the dog tells me to, and all I've been finding are condoms.  Helpful, but the game doesn't consider them treasures.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2009, 08:02:09 PM »

Just finished the game and sweet mother of pearl that is one fantastic game.  I don't know how Naughty Dog was able to improve on the best game of all time (Uncharted 1), but they did.  The story was fantastic.  The pace perfect.  The combat excellent.  The platforming awesome.  The characters really make Uncharted shine above the rest and man do they do that in spades.  The changes to grenades and how weapon swapping and reloading work will make it difficult for me to go back to U1 (although I still will Tongue).  The soundtrack again brings the production level up a notch.  I wish it were physically possible to get a game of this caliber every year.  I can't wait to see what's next!

Total play time on Normal: 12:38:03
57 treasures found on first play through

End game spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Man I about shit myself when Flynn's grenade went off.  I thought Elena was toast and I seriously got upset.  As KG said, that was definitely the best video game ending I've ever seen.  The last 30 seconds of banter about the 1-10 scale was a PERFECT ending to an absolutely amazing game, especially with how tense the last fight/run was.  

Oh and for the guy who complained about not liking U1's end boss fight, I can't wait to see what you think about this one.  I'll take one brutal combo over that any day!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:11:47 PM by leo8877 » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 01:51:38 PM

My one complaint about the game other than the lackluster final boss fight- This game needed more...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sully!  So sad when he left after Chapter 4.  I love his chemistry with Nate.  I did like his Butch and Sundance departure though. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was glad he was in it for a little bit.  Also there's some gags about Sully in Nate's journal which were good for a laught.  And a nice joke with him at the end slywink
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »

Using the cash I made from my first play-through I bought all the single-player skins. When you buy a skin, for example Chloe's camera man, does that mean you play as him? Same with all those enemy type skins?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »

I just caught my wife humming the Uncharted theme around the house....fantastic!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49:27 PM »

I liked the soundtrack well enough to buy it from iTunes.  icon_cool

-craig

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »

Yep the soundtrack isoutstanding.  I bought it from iTunes today.  Much better than the first game's soundtrack (which was already great). 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 16, 2009, 08:35:35 PM

Using the cash I made from my first play-through I bought all the single-player skins. When you buy a skin, for example Chloe's camera man, does that mean you play as him? Same with all those enemy type skins?

Yes.  However if you are playing for trophies/medals you may want to be careful- IIRC in the first game using skins made you unable to get any medals you may qualify for.  I'm not sure if the same holds for Uncharted 2. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 08:51:35 PM

Quote from: Ridah on October 16, 2009, 08:35:35 PM

Yes.  However if you are playing for trophies/medals you may want to be careful- IIRC in the first game using skins made you unable to get any medals you may qualify for.  I'm not sure if the same holds for Uncharted 2. 

After the trophy patch for the first game was released, you were not able to use more than one save file to complete the game and still get trophy credit, but early on I split my save file and I was still able to get trophies with Uncharted 2, fwiw.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »

Some more end game thoughts I forgot to mention:

Spoiler for Hiden:
About half way through I thought there's no way they will go all mystical again like the end of Uncharted with El Dorado and what it did to the island population.  When I got to the Mountaineering stage and saw the beast, I thought oh man they are using Yetis in the story, I suppose it fits.  Even though it's "unrealistic" I liked it for the manner of this type of story.  When I found the old German expedition, I thought it was cool how they put the Nazis back in the game.  Then when you kill a Yeti and it is just a costume, I thought well there you go, an explanation for it all (even if I wondered why they were so hard to kill).  I was pleased at the end to see the mythical tree of life brings it all back and there is something "supernatural" going on here.  It's so Indiana Jones, I love it!!!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »

Spoiler for end game story question:
Did they ever explain the other changes that happen when you drink/eat the life juice/resin?

I'm not sure what happened to Marco Polo's crew.  I know Shafer kills his team to prevent the nazis from getting it, but not sure what happens to Marco polo's crew and who/what kills them.  Considering that crew did have black teeth so they ate the stuff.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 16, 2009, 09:46:02 PM

Did they ever explain the other changes that happen when you drink/eat the life juice/resin?

I'm not sure what happened to Marco Polo's crew.  I know Shafer kills his team to prevent the nazis from getting it, but not sure what happens to Marco polo's crew and who/what kills them.  Considering that crew did have black teeth so they ate the stuff.

Spoiler for Hiden:
My guess was that someone like Shafer (perhaps the guy holding the box in Borneo) realized what was at stake and killed all the rest of the Typhoon survivors so that they would not have the power that the resin held.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2009, 11:03:19 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I thought it was implied that they killed each other (didn't Drake or someone say as much when entering the dig site?).  They must have eaten the resin at some point and turned on another. 

I really thought they did a great job at explaining everything- it was pretty cool looking back and realizing that the resin which had been popping up throughout the game was the source of all of the power. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »

Also, I would argue that
Spoiler for END GAME SPOILERS:
like Uncharted 1, it really wasn't necessarilly supernatural or mystical.  The resin was a naturally occurring product that was kind of like a super drug that had evidently corrupted the population that lived in Shambala. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
My impression was that the resin made people animalistic and aggressive, leading them to attack each other in resin-infused rage.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 11:05:33 PM

Also, I would argue that
like Uncharted 1, it really wasn't necessarilly supernatural or mystical.  The resin was a naturally occurring product that was kind of like a super drug that had evidently corrupted the population that lived in Shambala. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't understand this about U1, don't you think the "curse" of El Dorado was supernatural?  What was the natural explanation for what the mummy inside did to those people?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 11:13:23 PM

Also, I would argue that

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't understand this about U1, don't you think the "curse" of El Dorado was supernatural?  What was the natural explanation for what the mummy inside did to those people?

The spoiler below is for Uncharted 1, not 2:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It seemed to be an airborne disease or virus of some kind, or perhaps even some kind of tiny parasite. It wasn't supernatural.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »

Also, I would argue that
like Uncharted 1, it really wasn't necessarilly supernatural or mystical.  The resin was a naturally occurring product that was kind of like a super drug that had evidently corrupted the population that lived in Shambala.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't understand this about U1, don't you think the "curse" of El Dorado was supernatural?  What was the natural explanation for what the mummy inside did to those people?

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think the curse was basically some kind of super-virus that mutated the Spaniards and turned them feral.  These beings then basically stayed isolated on the island and procreated over the years.  What you fight at the end of Uncharted 1 are the feral "Descendents" (ND's internal name for them) of the original Spaniards.  EDIT- What TilT said. 

In both games, these items aren't necessarilly supernatural in origin but are instead extremely hazardous by products of nature that had long disappeared from the world and only existed in these very isolated locations.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 11:18:47 PM

Also, I would argue that
like Uncharted 1, it really wasn't necessarilly supernatural or mystical.  The resin was a naturally occurring product that was kind of like a super drug that had evidently corrupted the population that lived in Shambala.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't understand this about U1, don't you think the "curse" of El Dorado was supernatural?  What was the natural explanation for what the mummy inside did to those people?

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think the curse was basically some kind of super-virus that mutated the Spaniards and turned them feral.  These beings then basically stayed isolated on the island and procreated over the years.  What you fight at the end of Uncharted 1 are the feral "Descendents" (ND's internal name for them) of the original Spaniards.  EDIT- What TilT said. 

In both games, these items aren't necessarilly supernatural in origin but are instead extremely hazardous by products of nature that had long disappeared from the world and only existed in these very isolated locations.  

Interesting, I never looked at it from that angle.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 11:20:03 PM

Spoiler for MORE ENDGAME SPOILERS:
  I really enjoy the way that Naughty Dog handles the stuff in the series.  The supernatural/mythic elements are important parts of these legends but they manage to come up with somewhat conventional explanations that still preserve the threats and power of those legends.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

I played a few more chapters and found the majority of the treasures. It was just those two Borneo chapters I didn't find any. They must have been hiding under leaves slywink (I'll go back or look it up after I finish one playthrough).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2009, 12:35:38 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2009, 11:25:51 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2009, 11:20:03 PM

Spoiler for MORE ENDGAME SPOILERS:
  I really enjoy the way that Naughty Dog handles the stuff in the series.  The supernatural/mythic elements are important parts of these legends but they manage to come up with somewhat conventional explanations that still preserve the threats and power of those legends.

Spoiler for Even more endgame talk, and stuff about my question earlier:
Same here.  I enjoy their takes on these aspects.  It's the cultures and legends that have made these things supernatural, but each relic has something that makes it plausible even if the effects of them are way out there.

Still not sure what happened to the Polo's crew.  I'm going to replay it and see if there's something I missed, but Polo's crew dying is a bit odd.  I wonder if there's a difference between eating the dried resin, or the liquid?  Besides the altered villagers, and the dead crew, nothing else indicates that the life juice does anything besides heal you and make you basically immortal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: