http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncharted 2: Among Impressions Threads [Hide the spoilers well!]  (Read 19093 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »

Up to chapter 20 and still loving the game. However, I think I know what people mean about the game losing steam half way through. It's not so much that it loses steam, but there's a few chapters that are, I hate to say it, kind of crummy. Thankfully, the chapters following immediately after bring you back to the good. Below in the spoiler tag is my minor complaint rant.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it's chapters 16 and 17, the ones that have you running along the roof of the train. When it gets to the snowy mountain area, the gameplay takes a nosedive and I basically died more times in those two chapters than all of the previous chapters and for whatever reason the camera spazzed out on me the most here. The helicopter battle was lame as well as the "boss battle" with the darker skinned guy who you get the passport back from. Then, after the train wrecks they have you replay a small bit of the opening scene again which I didn't like, and fighting those dudes in the snow was a pain in the ass. I attempted initially to take them all out with stealth, all that effort and I got one-shotted trying to climb out of that area where Drake says "I'm either going to bleed out or climb out" too soon. It then starts you at the beginning of the area. Lastly, in chapter 18 when you are in the ice caverns and finally about to get out, the faceoff against those two man-rams was again poorly designed and annoying more than anything. It took me like 10 minutes of unloading clips into them (with my sound system cranked, mind you) to realize I just needed to jump onto the platform. End of my rant smile
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:21:44 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 15, 2009, 07:18:06 AM

Spoiler for "Chapter 18":
It took me like 10 minutes of unloading clips into them (with my sound system cranked, mind you) to realize I just needed to jump onto the platform. End of my rant smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Might want to crank up the center channel a little more- Drake actually comments to himself that he needs to get to the platform once it's down. icon_wink
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 15, 2009, 06:00:53 AM

I just spent about two hours in getting up to chapter 4 playing on easy.  I got stuck in chapter 2 when:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I couldn't figure out how the hell to get past the guard leaning against the railing on the little porch thing, the one past the guy by the fountain.  I figured you'd have to do a traidtional rail takedown, but got thrown off when it didn't tell you that you could do that (since you're still in tutorial mode), and when the guard consistently got alerted when I grabbed onto the railing.  Thinking I had to go about it differently, I spent the next 45 minutes figuring out how to take down every guard in the place except for the three on the porch.  Eventually caved and consulted the web only to find that you're supposed to do a rail takedown, and just have to do it quickly after you alert him.  For some reason, his shouting in surprise doesn't alert the guy 10' away.  

Of course, several minutes after this, they then teach you how to do a rail takedown.

So far, other than getting stuck in that stupid area, it's definitely easier than the first.  The enemies are wearing body armor, but amazingly go down a lot easier than their wife beater-wearing buddies from the first game.  This is good.  I still like the characters and cinematics.  

I also like getting an extra $100,000 to spend in the extras shop for finishing the first one.  Now, if only there were more than a handful of things unlocked.

Chaz, I had the EXACT same problem, right down to the amount of time spent, and when I finally consulted the web about it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »

I'm a bit peeved about the whole $100,000 for beating the first game because I didn't get it.  I think it only registers if you started a new game after the trophies were added.   I only got $30,000 because it said I needed to finish the first game even though I've completed the game several times.  The only reason for it not registering that I can of is that I haven't beat the game doing a  completely fresh restart (ie wipe out all of the previously found treasures, etc). 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »

I don't think it's $100,000 for completing the game, but for getting the platinum trophy. At least that's what the devs indicated in early previews. My guess is that you're getting $30,000 because you completed 30% of the trophies (or medals if you did this before trophy support was added).
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »

I spent last night playing MP. It's fun, but not really clicking with me yet. I think I'll forego it and continue on in the SP.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2009, 01:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 15, 2009, 05:30:01 AM

Let's see how this one pans out 2-4 years later.  I suspect Naughty Dog will be taking a break and making another Jak and Daxter game, although I think Sony might force them to move straight into Uncharted 3 since the series is pretty successful.

While a good part of me is hoping that we get Uncharted 3 in two years, I'm also kind of hoping that they take a bit of a break or even wait until next generation.  Uncharted 2 gives me the same feeling that Gears of War 2, God of War 2, and Resident Evil 4 did- devs with absolute mastery of the hardware, knowledge of what worked and what didn't in the previous game, and the opportunity to put every last bit of design inspiration they've had into the game.  It's just hard for me to imagine that they can top this.  

I'll be surprised if Sony tries to force them to do another Jak game though.  If they want one that bad then I would expect Sony to try and get High Voltage (isn't that the dev that did R&C: Size Matters and the upcoming Jak: The New Frontier?) to handle it.  Unless it's Naughty Dog who really wants to do another Jak game in which case I'll be quite excited since I really love that series.  
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »

Me, I'd be perfectly happy with an Uncharted 3 that uses the exact same tech and engine, just so I could play one more Nathan Drake adventure as soon as possible.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 15, 2009, 01:12:18 PM

I don't think it's $100,000 for completing the game, but for getting the platinum trophy. At least that's what the devs indicated in early previews. My guess is that you're getting $30,000 because you completed 30% of the trophies (or medals if you did this before trophy support was added).

I got the 100k thing and I don't have the platinum trophy.  I did restart a new game when trophies came out and played completely through to get the charted trophy though.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2009, 01:53:52 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 15, 2009, 01:42:25 PM

Me, I'd be perfectly happy with an Uncharted 3 that uses the exact same tech and engine, just so I could play one more Nathan Drake adventure as soon as possible.  icon_wink

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »

Me, I'd be perfectly happy with an Uncharted 3 that uses the exact same tech and engine, just so I could play one more Nathan Drake adventure as soon as possible.  icon_wink

Oh yeah, I agree- I'll be happy as can be even if it doesn't match Uncharted 2 (and maybe it will).  

What I'd really like is some DLC single player stuff where we can just play some mini-adventures.  Maybe some earlier adventures with Sully, Chloe, or Flynn. That would also be an opportunity to change things up a bit- maybe have an adventure very platforming centric with more difficult platforming than the main games or maybe a mini-game with much tougher puzzles.  However I believe ND has announced that they will be putting out a motion comic prequel as DLC with all of the voice actors so at least that's something.  

When publishers started talking up DLC early in the generation I was really hopeful that we'd get mini-expansions to tide us over until the next installment but that's very rare.  Instead it's usually just new multiplayer maps.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 15, 2009, 01:56:13 PM

Me, I'd be perfectly happy with an Uncharted 3 that uses the exact same tech and engine, just so I could play one more Nathan Drake adventure as soon as possible.  icon_wink

Oh yeah, I agree- I'll be happy as can be even if it doesn't match Uncharted 2 (and maybe it will).  

What I'd really like is some DLC single player stuff where we can just play some mini-adventures.  Maybe some earlier adventures with Sully, Chloe, or Flynn. That would also be an opportunity to change things up a bit- maybe have an adventure very platforming centric with more difficult platforming than the main games or maybe a mini-game with much tougher puzzles.  However I believe ND has announced that they will be putting out a motion comic prequel as DLC with all of the voice actors so at least that's something.  

When publishers started talking up DLC early in the generation I was really hopeful that we'd get mini-expansions to tide us over until the next installment but that's very rare.  Instead it's usually just new multiplayer maps.  

I was kind of hoping that Ratchet and Clank DLC mission would be the first of many mini mission DLC myself.  With Resistance 3 coming in 2011, I would think that Uncharted 3 would be at least 2012 (or maybe not since U3 and R&C are both out this holiday season). 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

I was kind of hoping that Ratchet and Clank DLC mission would be the first of many mini mission DLC myself.  With Resistance 3 coming in 2011, I would think that Uncharted 3 would be at least 2012 (or maybe not since U3 and R&C are both out this holiday season). 

Is Resistance 3 2012?  I had assumed that it would be 2011.  Probably good that Insomniac is taking more time with that one. 

Yeah Quest for Booty was pretty much exactly what I'd hoped to see more of.  But given the amount of people who bitterly complained over the price, I'm guessing it didn't sell that well. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2009, 01:01:48 PM

I just spent about two hours in getting up to chapter 4 playing on easy.  I got stuck in chapter 2 when:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I couldn't figure out how the hell to get past the guard leaning against the railing on the little porch thing, the one past the guy by the fountain.  I figured you'd have to do a traidtional rail takedown, but got thrown off when it didn't tell you that you could do that (since you're still in tutorial mode), and when the guard consistently got alerted when I grabbed onto the railing.  Thinking I had to go about it differently, I spent the next 45 minutes figuring out how to take down every guard in the place except for the three on the porch.  Eventually caved and consulted the web only to find that you're supposed to do a rail takedown, and just have to do it quickly after you alert him.  For some reason, his shouting in surprise doesn't alert the guy 10' away.  

Of course, several minutes after this, they then teach you how to do a rail takedown.

So far, other than getting stuck in that stupid area, it's definitely easier than the first.  The enemies are wearing body armor, but amazingly go down a lot easier than their wife beater-wearing buddies from the first game.  This is good.  I still like the characters and cinematics.  

I also like getting an extra $100,000 to spend in the extras shop for finishing the first one.  Now, if only there were more than a handful of things unlocked.

Chaz, I had the EXACT same problem, right down to the amount of time spent, and when I finally consulted the web about it.

Hooray, I'm not crazy! I actually found out that a friend at work ran into a similar problem and spent a while taking out all the other dudes in the room, and then figured out the solution on his own.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 15, 2009, 02:05:11 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 02:01:18 PM

Is Resistance 3 2012?  I had assumed that it would be 2011.  Probably good that Insomniac is taking more time with that one. 

Yeah Quest for Booty was pretty much exactly what I'd hoped to see more of.  But given the amount of people who bitterly complained over the price, I'm guessing it didn't sell that well. 

I thought Resistance 3 was 2011 because of the movie billboard thing that was in the news last week.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 15, 2009, 02:35:23 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2009, 01:01:48 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Hooray, I'm not crazy! I actually found out that a friend at work ran into a similar problem and spent a while taking out all the other dudes in the room, and then figured out the solution on his own.

I got stuck trying to stealth pull that guy over the rail too.  After about 4 tries I figured they wanted you to do something else, so I just tried another direction.  Seemed like a perfect spot to teach you how to perform that move.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »

I got pissed off and almost gave up VERY early:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right when you get into the museum place and you need to get through a gate by shutting off the alarm that is up and to the right of said gate.

I knock off a few guards and then get to the gate, climb up to where the alarm is so I can shut it off and it won't let me. I jumped down, back up, tried different things for about 45 minutes. Still, no way to disarm the alarm. After re-setting and starting over again, I killed all the guards in that area and the game allowed me to turn the alarm off.

This sucked. Horrible design!! Why not let me disarm the gate, open it, and then get caught by the guard I neglected to kill. This would have let me to the conclusion they wanted instead of not letting me shut the alarm off and stumble around for almost an hour. Stupid!!!!

Does this type of shit keep happening throughout the game?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2009, 04:24:34 PM »

I never encountered anything like that.  Then again I did take out all of the guards in the area (just because) so I don't know if what happened to you was a bug or it was scripted. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 15, 2009, 04:24:34 PM

I never encountered anything like that.  Then again I did take out all of the guards in the area (just because) so I don't know if what happened to you was a bug or it was scripted. 

I didn't have that happen to me either.  I think I took out all of the guards though first.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 04:07:20 PM

Seemed like a perfect spot to teach you how to perform that move.

i'm betting that's what it was supposed to be (& somehow got lost)...

Quote from: Devil on October 15, 2009, 04:19:22 PM

I got pissed off and almost gave up VERY early:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right when you get into the museum place and you need to get through a gate by shutting off the alarm that is up and to the right of said gate.

I knock off a few guards and then get to the gate, climb up to where the alarm is so I can shut it off and it won't let me. I jumped down, back up, tried different things for about 45 minutes. Still, no way to disarm the alarm. After re-setting and starting over again, I killed all the guards in that area and the game allowed me to turn the alarm off.

This sucked. Horrible design!! Why not let me disarm the gate, open it, and then get caught by the guard I neglected to kill. This would have let me to the conclusion they wanted instead of not letting me shut the alarm off and stumble around for almost an hour. Stupid!!!!

Does this type of shit keep happening throughout the game?

didn't encounter that one, either. i'm not noticing anything excessive, but, like any game that involves so many triggers, there've been a couple times when things haven't quite gone the way they were supposed to? but it's always been instances of 'that was weird!', as opposed to frustrating...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »

Cool.

I was frustrated and pissed off just thinking that there was a much easier way for the game to get me to do what it wanted. Instead I had to waste time stumbling around to find it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 15, 2009, 04:55:58 PM

Cool.

I was frustrated and pissed off just thinking that there was a much easier way for the game to get me to do what it wanted. Instead I had to waste time stumbling around to find it.

yeah, don't let that affect your enjoyment of what's to come (& you will enjoy it smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

I had a couple days off after vacation and was able to play this, but now I am at work and all I want to do is go home and play!!   crybaby crybaby crybaby
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 14, 2009, 07:12:32 PM

Agreed.  It's probably the best paced game I've ever played (as of Chapter 22).  It knows exactly when to give you a breather and change up the gameplay only to ratchet things up even more a bit later. Uncharted 2 probably comes the closest I've played to matching the feel of a 2 hour movie in a 10 hour gameplay experience.

not to derail the thread, but i've been thinking about this, & (probably because of the urban chapters), i've been thinking about mgs4, &, while i agree with you, i also think there's a case to be made for mgs4 (& even mgs3) as best 3+ hour movie as gameplay experience - kinda like the difference between john woo & akira kurosawa? smile . i only know that, as much as i'm loving u2, & as beautifully as it's put together, it hasn't quite displaced mgs4, for me, as the best overall cinematic experience this gen...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 15, 2009, 07:28:29 PM

Agreed.  It's probably the best paced game I've ever played (as of Chapter 22).  It knows exactly when to give you a breather and change up the gameplay only to ratchet things up even more a bit later. Uncharted 2 probably comes the closest I've played to matching the feel of a 2 hour movie in a 10 hour gameplay experience.

not to derail the thread, but i've been thinking about this, & (probably because of the urban chapters), i've been thinking about mgs4, &, while i agree with you, i also think there's a case to be made for mgs4 (& even mgs3) as best 3+ hour movie as gameplay experience - kinda like the difference between john woo & akira kurosawa? smile . i only know that, as much as i'm loving u2, & as beautifully as it's put together, it hasn't quite displaced mgs4, for me, as the best overall cinematic experience this gen...

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!  Uncharted basically is a movie that you get to live in!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 07:30:25 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on October 15, 2009, 07:28:29 PM

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!  Uncharted basically is a movie that you get to live in!

kids today smile ...

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »

MGS4 would be one hoaky GI Joe type movie while Uncharted easily beats any recent attempt at the Indiana Jones franchise slywink
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2009, 10:09:45 PM »

Woohoo! My Goozex Exchange order already came. I only had about 20 minutes before I had to run out to a doc appt, but the intro bit I have played has been fantastic.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »

I just spent about two hours in getting up to chapter 4 playing on easy.  I got stuck in chapter 2 when:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I couldn't figure out how the hell to get past the guard leaning against the railing on the little porch thing, the one past the guy by the fountain.  I figured you'd have to do a traidtional rail takedown, but got thrown off when it didn't tell you that you could do that (since you're still in tutorial mode), and when the guard consistently got alerted when I grabbed onto the railing.  Thinking I had to go about it differently, I spent the next 45 minutes figuring out how to take down every guard in the place except for the three on the porch.  Eventually caved and consulted the web only to find that you're supposed to do a rail takedown, and just have to do it quickly after you alert him.  For some reason, his shouting in surprise doesn't alert the guy 10' away. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
i didn't bother with a rail takedown on that guy.  instead, i took down the guys standing by the columns and fountain, moved on to take down the two guys on the other side of the room, and left all three of the guys up the stairs alone (as well as the one guy straight ahead on the far side from where you start.  i snuck past the last four guys and climbed my way to the rooftop while they weren't looking.  as soon as i hit the roof, Flynn climbed the rail behind the guard and quickly took out all three guys up in the stairs area.  i dropped back down to finish off the last guy and moved to the next area.

it's interesting to hear different ways that people go about clearing different areas with stealth...nice change from having to fight just about everyone in the original game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2009, 01:59:04 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 15, 2009, 07:18:06 AM

Up to chapter 20 and still loving the game. However, I think I know what people mean about the game losing steam half way through. It's not so much that it loses steam, but there's a few chapters that are, I hate to say it, kind of crummy. Thankfully, the chapters following immediately after bring you back to the good. Below in the spoiler tag is my minor complaint rant.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it's chapters 16 and 17, the ones that have you running along the roof of the train. When it gets to the snowy mountain area, the gameplay takes a nosedive and I basically died more times in those two chapters than all of the previous chapters and for whatever reason the camera spazzed out on me the most here. The helicopter battle was lame as well as the "boss battle" with the darker skinned guy who you get the passport back from. Then, after the train wrecks they have you replay a small bit of the opening scene again which I didn't like, and fighting those dudes in the snow was a pain in the ass. I attempted initially to take them all out with stealth, all that effort and I got one-shotted trying to climb out of that area where Drake says "I'm either going to bleed out or climb out" too soon. It then starts you at the beginning of the area. Lastly, in chapter 18 when you are in the ice caverns and finally about to get out, the faceoff against those two man-rams was again poorly designed and annoying more than anything. It took me like 10 minutes of unloading clips into them (with my sound system cranked, mind you) to realize I just needed to jump onto the platform. End of my rant smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
not a big yeti (or whatever those guys are) fan, but i really disagree about replaying the opening (thought it was a cool touch) & the following confrontation. the sense of disorientation as to where exactly drake was in relation to everyone was very claustrophobic, & felt a lot less 'set up' than most other encounters. nasty, but very realistic feeling...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »

OK, I played through chapter 5 tonight. I had the same problem with chapter 2
Spoiler for Hiden:
but I gave up on the rail kill early because it didn't seem like they wanted you to do it. You couldn't even take cover on the wall. I wound up weaving through the whole area knocking out everyone until only the 3 guys on the raised walkway were left. I charged the guy on the stairs, which triggered my partner to jump over the railing and charge the guy all the way at the end of hall. Of course, this left the railing guy still there! I took him out and was then able to move on. A little weird.

Which leads me to a gripe - I don't think they improved the cover system at all since Uncharted 1. You'll often find surfaces that you can't use for cover, and jumping from cover to cover can often be messy, sometimes moving you to a spot you didn't intend to go to our pulling you out of cover altogether. I know the gears method of showing exactly what your cover move is going to do at the bottom of the screen isn't as immersive, but at least you feel good about what is about to happen.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying it. I already loved the Uncharted gameplay and the stealth kills are a great addition.

I think it was Andrew that said that he was a little turned off by casting Nathan as a thief.  That's funny, I had the exact same reaction. I thought that Drake was a fortune hunter or a tomb raider, for sure, but I never got the impression in the first game that he was ever involved in crime. I think it would have been better if they had made him turn down the job on principle at first, and then had the potential historical find be so big, so important, that he was willing, just this one time, to cross the line.

Oh yeah, and the game has built in Twitter support! How funny is that?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:44:01 AM by Teggy » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2009, 03:06:38 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM

Oh yeah, and the game has built in Twitter support! How funny is that?

Heh, if you notice on the front page I have Gaming Trend's Twitter account linked to my progress in Uncharted 2. It just seems to show the trophies I acquire.

Sean Lama
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »

Saw this on the ND site:

So we’ve seen some concern about the frequency of updates for those choosing to use Uncharted 2’s twitter support.  Some reviewers have had early access to the game and selected the option to update their twitter accounts as they completed each chapter of the game.  This has resulted in some twittter feeds being updated multiple times an hour.  We obviously want to provide the best experience for everybody so for the time being we’ve disabled twitter updates on chapter completions.  The option will still exist in the menus when the game ships on 10/13, but if activated, it will do nothing.  Some time after the game has shipped, we’ll release a patch to reactive the feature, but with a limit on the frequency of updates.  We’re certainly sorry for any inconvenience, but I guess that’s the risk you run when trying to blaze a new trail in the complicated world of social media!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2009, 04:20:25 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM

I think it was Andrew that said that he was a little turned off by casting Nathan as a thief.  That's funny, I had the exact same reaction. I thought that Drake was a fortune hunter or a tomb raider, for sure, but I never got the impression in the first game that he was ever involved in crime. I think it would have been better if they had made him turn down the job on principle at first, and then had the potential historical find be so big, so important, that he was willing, just this one time, to cross the line.

It's pretty vital to story and Nate's character development IMO.

End Game Spoilers:

Spoiler for SERIOUSLY DON'T CLICK UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED:
  It never was a one time thing- Nate used to be a scoundrel, hence his association with Flynn, Chloe, and Scully (who obviously has a bit of a shady side) and the first game even hints at this with his relationship with Eddy Raja. It doesn't mean he was a cold-blooded killer or anything but he wasn't really on the right side of the law either.  As Scoundrels go he is firmly in the Han Solo camp (ie "heart of gold").

The whole game is basically about Nate turning his back on his previous illegal history and just doing what's right.  This is of course represented in his relationships with both Elena and Chloe but you can really see it in how his goals through the game evolve- at the outset it's just to make money.  Then, when he is betrayed, it becomes about revenge.  But when Elena re-enters the picture then that selfless side of Nate comes out- first with him risking life and limb to save the cameraman and then deciding to rescue Chloe even though she betrayed him.  Then he's about to give up again when he acts to save the town that sheltered him.  Finally, in the very end he just goes after the bad guy just simply because it's right even when he can turn back and still save everyone he cares about. 

Frankly it's probably one of the better developed character arcs I've played in a game.  I'm hard pressed to come up with one to match it.

Finished the game.  Last boss was quite difficult (playing on Hard)- took me about an hour.  Not the most enjoyable boss fight either but it was at least suitably intense.  However everything after that boss fight was pure gold.  One of the best endings I've ever seen.  My total time played was 14:05.

Now on to Crushing....
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2009, 05:44:07 AM »

i just played through the train sequence tonight and was blown away by the whole thing, and love the way they wrap it all back around to the beginning of the game.  i think the two most impressive things to me about this game continue to be the near-perfect pacing between gunfights and platforming, and the awesome story that is full of twists and surprises at every turn.  i really can't remember another game where everything is balanced so well.  now i'm stepping out into yet another new location and can't wait to see what happens next icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »

I left off at the end of chapter 14 tonight.  Playing on easy, the pacing is very good.  While I feel like I could probably handle normal difficulty, it would definitely increase my number of deaths and slow me down.  As it is, with the enemies on the easy side, it feels a lot more like an action movie where the hero gets beat up, but the enemies look more threatening than they are.  For this game, I'm perfectly fine with that feeling.  My plan is to finish this up tomorrow or Saturday so that I can get back to Brutal Legend.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »

Finished the game on normal, took me a little under 12 hours to complete. I'm already to play through it again, scary...  icon_eek

Kevin, you're absolutely right about the character development, it's enough to make me want to play through again just to catch more of what I may not have before.

Anyhow, excellent game, it wasn't without flaws but of course no game is. I hope no one who truly loves video games misses Uncharted 2.

Sean Lama
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »

You know the other thing I forgot to mention - during the first two chapters I was finding treasures everywhere, but since then (I just started chapter 6) I haven't found any. I've been checking every nook and cranny, too. I'll have to look into that after I finish the game. I figure that I must have missed a bunch already.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

If you open the Chapters menu from the main screen, you'll see how many treasures you've found and how many are hidden in each chapter.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »

Yeah, and their new schtick is to hide the treasure up high for you to shoot down, so keep your eyes to the skies for a glimmer along with the nooks and crannies.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: