http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Umm, im becoming evil and wanting a PS2... help me  (Read 2979 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 05:04:19 PM »

So I keep looking at getting a PS2. Ive been tempted ever since I heard about the new smaller pstwo. Is this avaliable now? And from anyone that has it if it is avaliable, how good is ti. I know the specs will be the same, but what about its layout and the drive etc.?

Also, this may come as a shock, but since Im still on the edge, what games would push me over? I want to play GTA:SA. But im into shooters a lot, and not really japanese RPGs. All I seemt o hear about with the PS2 is GTA and japanese RPGs. And GTA isnt good enough to warrent a system. What other games could push me over (which are not on the XBox as well)?

Thanks for any help.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:11:14 PM »

The Ratchet and Clank series is shooter meets platforming, and supposed to be ultra good.  (it's one of the reasons I'm considering picking up a PS2).  Jak and Daxter are also supposed to be pretty good for a platformer meets shooter.  

As far as the new PS2, I hear people like it but just be aware that it has a top-loading drive unlike the tray drive of the older one.  That may be a bummer if you have it stacked in a cabinet or in a spot with limited vertical space.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:36:32 PM »

Whoops. just saw another thread on the same subject, Sorry about that. I searched real quick and nothing came up. I must be having problems today  biggrin .
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:37:11 PM »

The PS2's got the best library of any modern system, hands-down:  Not only can it play all the PS2 goodness, you can play any of the classic PS1 games on it too.  Unfortunately, it's also the weakest system from a hardware standpoint.

The Gamecube's got a strong library too, but it's got a much more limited selection.  You're stuck with first-party Nintendo stuff, awesome though it may be, and the occasional multi-platform release.

The XBox is a fine piece of hardware and great if you like the idea of XBox Live.  If you don't much care about Live, or if you're not into the Sports/Racing genre, it sucks (unless you mod it and play emulators off the HDD).

That being said, what do you mean by "Shooters?"  Like, First-Person Shooters, (ie Halo), Third-Person shooters (ie Max Payne), or Shoot-Em Ups (ie, Gradius / Raiden)?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 05:45:45 PM »

Pretty much any kind of shooter. I already have an xbox (which I cant get enough of) and tried a gcn, just not enough games for me. So now it is just the PS2 tempting me. And PS1 games dont tempt me because I have a PS1. Backwards compatability has never been a  big deal with me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:16:27 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
The PS2's got the best library of any modern system, hands-down:  Not only can it play all the PS2 goodness, you can play any of the classic PS1 games on it too.  Unfortunately, it's also the weakest system from a hardware standpoint.

The Gamecube's got a strong library too, but it's got a much more limited selection.  You're stuck with first-party Nintendo stuff, awesome though it may be, and the occasional multi-platform release.

The XBox is a fine piece of hardware and great if you like the idea of XBox Live.  If you don't much care about Live, or if you're not into the Sports/Racing genre, it sucks (unless you mod it and play emulators off the HDD).

That being said, what do you mean by "Shooters?"  Like, First-Person Shooters, (ie Halo), Third-Person shooters (ie Max Payne), or Shoot-Em Ups (ie, Gradius / Raiden)?

Chris is both right and wrong here-the PS2 has a wonderful library, and with the new tiny system, it really is almost a must buy at this point.

The XBox may have once been the domain of sports and racing games, but it now unarguably has the best shooter library (riddick, Halo, Halo 2, the Bond cross platform games, R63 and expansion, Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon 2, etc), a superb group of "action" games (MechAssault, Crimson Skies, etc), one superb RPG and a few other decent ones, and a bunch of other genre games, many of which are cross platform-Full Spectrum Warrior, Thief 3, PoP and upcoming sequel, etc.

Live is a HUGE draw, but I enjoyed my XBox without it, and I enjoy it even more with it.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:23:23 PM »

Just to be clear here, I already own an xbox with live, and despite LE saying it "sucks" except for sports, I ignored that comment because :
1. I have read LE comments a lot
2. I know the xbox is great, and I dont want this to be a fanboy fight.
3. I know that it has a broad base
4. Lik I said, I already own one.

This isnt about decidein between systems. Its about adding a system in particular to my collection, the PS2.

I have owned a gamecube, I own an Xbox, PS1, and Dreamcast (along with other systems), I am just deciding if the PS2 has anything to offer me.

Also, is there a connector to let me use my s type controller on the PS2? They have the same number of buttons so that shouldt be a problem. I just am not a fan of the PS2 controller.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 06:37:22 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"

Also, is there a connector to let me use my s type controller on the PS2? They have the same number of buttons so that shouldt be a problem. I just am not a fan of the PS2 controller.

I don't know, but I sure think that would be a great idea!  After using the XBox controller S for so long the PS2 one feels cheap and sloppy, especially the analog sticks and triggers.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »

I can't believe how much fun I'm having with my PS2.
I haven't bought a console since my NES, and I'm enjoying it about as much.
The coolest thing about it is the massive library.
I went to Game Rankings, checked what the highest scoring games were, and bought about 7 games for $80, including GTA:SA and a few trade ins.
The games are cheap, easily available, and fun.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »

After owning an Xbox + Gamecube since they came out, I finally went out and got a PS2 about a year and a half ago.  While it still receives far less playtime than the other two systems, there's still some unique games out there that you can only get on the PS2.  The graphics on a lot of games compare well (although they do all have that same shimmering look), and I'm finally starting to warm up to the controller.

If you can find one cheap, it's absolutely worth it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 09:10:45 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Also, this may come as a shock, but since Im still on the edge, what games would push me over? I want to play GTA:SA. But im into shooters a lot, and not really japanese RPGs. All I seemt o hear about with the PS2 is GTA and japanese RPGs. And GTA isnt good enough to warrent a system. What other games could push me over (which are not on the XBox as well)?

Thanks for any help.

The only reason I'm not in the same boat as you is both of my TV's are HD widescreens... that's some BIG damned jaggies. slywink I borrow a buddies PS2 once in a while; I get my fix that way and save about $200CAD. As to the value of the PSTwo, if you need a second DVD player in another room it's kind of a no-brainer (as a DVD player it works great). I was [---] this close to buying one the other week for that reason, but decided to save up for Ghost Recon2, MechAssault2, and worry about all of my time being eaten up by Half-Life2.

I have not seen many games come out that compell me to buy one based on the titles alone.... maybe Monster Hunter (it's a lot like Phantasy Star Online 1&2) and Katamari Damacy (sp), and a few RPGs... I find the tedium has worn me down to the point where I skip cut-scenes and just want to beat the game and move on.

I'm waiting for the Xbox version of GTA:SA; the improvements on the last two seem to be worth the wait.

If I were you, I'd go and rent / borrow a standard PS2 and a few top-shelf titles (for a week) and see how much play-time it gets. If you spend less than half your game-time on the PS2, I'd suggest not buying it; after all that's the honeymoon period where it's new and novelty hasn't worn off.

And no, wanting a PS2 isn't evil... I think some of us (myself included) find it difficult to justify spending 200 bux on antiquated hardware that could be spent buying games for our existing setups.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:38:53 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
And no, wanting a PS2 isn't evil... I think some of us (myself included) find it difficult to justify spending 200 bux on antiquated hardware that could be spent buying games for our existing setups.
I'd rather spend $200 on "antiquated hardware" that has more than two games worth playing on it than on a "I wish I was a PC" alternative which functions best as a dust collector and/or paperweight.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »

Let the console war begin...jeesh.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 12:08:43 AM »

I'd rather spend $200 on "antiquated hardware" that has more than two games worth playing on it than on a "I wish I was a PC" alternative which functions best as a dust collector and/or paperweight.

Wow.  Why do you hate the Xbox so much bro?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 01:06:36 AM »

It was an opinion based on jaggies as big as my head, and I spoke to the topic at hand. Stick to the topic, or pull your bait back.  :roll: We don't need every thread ending with this.

Moving right along...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 01:23:27 AM »

Thanks LE for the continuous Fanboyism. In your mighty ways you have convinced me to not keep my xbox, and to burn it. in fact, from now on I am going to be burning any store which sells xboxs because they only have two games. I have counted them many tiems thinking it could be more then two, but no, every time it is 1, 2. Shoot, only two? 1, 2. Damn it, it never changes.

Well, I went to Best Buy to pick up a PS2. I was attacked by a salesman. He said:

Him: You should get that system. Its amazing.
Me: Yeah well, im just looking seeing if it has anything I want. Does it come with any games at all?
Him: Nope. But it comes with an ethernet adaptor, which is about teh price of a free game. So in a way it does.
Me: Well, I have xbox live so I dont need online.
Him: And the graphics ont his are amazing.
Me: Well, I dont think so, but thats not the issue. I was just looking if there were any games i wanted for it.
Him: Well, you have GTA, final fantasy, and tons of sprots games.
Me: Well, I have an xbox for the sprots games, I dont like final fantasy, and if I want to play them I do have my PC. And with GTA, Its doest seem tobe worth it.
Him: Well, it wont be going to xbox for a while. Probably six months.
Me: You are right, I canw ait six months. Thanks for the help

I wal out without buying it. Great system for some, but I think Im going to pass.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 04:04:49 AM »

I picked up Silpheed (PS2) in the bargain bin for 9 bucks today.

A Treasure shmup for 9 bucks.  Need I say more?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

If there isn't any kind of PS2 exclusives you'd think would be worth a purchase , I'd say stick with what you've got.

I love my PS2, but any kind of cross platform game goes to the XBox.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 12:29:18 PM »

I really cannot give advice on the XBox but I haven't regretted getting PS2 for a second, since I bought it this summer. The collection of games, as well as the amount of quality games for the system is amazing. I'm going broke trying to buy all the games that I want. But that's a good thing smile

My smile still stays on.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 06:30:29 PM »

PS2 is a great system im sure, but I decided I have better ways to spend my money. I have 5 or 6 games on the xbox I havnt touched, a few on my dreamcast (which still gets play time) and a couple for my pc and gba. I think im overloaded as it is. Plus, the PS2 isnt offering much in my style right now that I cant get eventually somewhere else. Great system, just not as much in my style. I think this is my decision, for now, until I get another urge to buy one  smile .
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 06:32:36 PM »

Also, is it regular practice for people not to read posts? I have an xbox, and I am not decideing between consoles. I know all about the xbox, I was simply asking about the PS2 because I had an urge to buy it. Anyways, just hoping to clear that up once and for all. Carry on now  biggrin .
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 10:24:26 PM »

I made the mistake of actually taking one of them out of the box today, and boy was it cool.  Still comes down to so few games I want to play, but man, what a neat little piece of hardware.  Was very tempted, but passed.  If there were only about 10 games on it I wanted, then it would be an easy decision, but with only 4-5, I am leary it won't end up a dust collector.  Plus, there is the fact that of those 5 I really want to play, some of them will no doubt not be to my liking when I actually get my hands on them, and then where does that leave me?  For me at least 50% of the games I am anxious to play I end up not really getting into.  

Anyone in the Tulsa area just want to loan me their PS2 so I can try Killzone, Ace Combat 4, and Metal Gear Solid Snake?  That would probably satisfy my curiousity and I would be able to forget this dude.

Chris, whatever you do, do not actually get one in your hands.  The coolness factor will put unneeded pressure on your game-system sphyncter muscle.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 11:37:54 PM »

Yeah, I saw one, and it was pretty cool. I saw it at best buy when the salesman was trying to convince me I needed it (and in effect talked me out of it). Lucky for me that guy was there to bring me back to reality smile.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »

I just got done reading about 100 reviews at the ebgames website on this new slim ps2 and I would say a good 40% have complained of the system overheating.  Some say it shut off it got so hot to others saying that it literally melted and warped the disc in the system.  Now, I realize there are some people who don't know how to treat a system or there might be some Xbox fanboys just posting fake reviews, etc, but there must be something to it for there to be that many complaints.   Some did say there's has gotten hot but not to the point of shutting down or burning up, but maybe they are like me and only play in hour-long spurts.  Don't know.  All I know is that when you are considering a system and of a 100 reviews 40 complain of something like that-it is just another reason to pause and consider.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »

It does get pretty warm, but I can't imagine it'd get hot enough to warp the disc.  Not even close.  I keep mine in a pretty well-ventilated, air-conditioned area.  I also don't play it for 12 hours straight.  My longest play session has been four hours of Ratchet & Clank, which is pretty long.  The PS2 was warm to the touch (and the remote sitting on top of it became fairly warm), but it certainly didn't melt.  My PC's DVD drive gets hotter when I watch a DVD movie than my slim PS2 has.

EDIT:  To clarify, by "pretty warm" I mean that it was warm enough that when I touched it (and the remote), I immediately noticed that it had become warm.  To say it felt hot would be exaggeration, it wasnt uncomfortable at all to touch.

As long as you don't play insane 15 hour marathon sessions with the PS2 covered in dust, in a box, in a 90 degree room, you should be fine.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2004, 06:24:11 AM »

Mine has never overheated.  And I've left it running (accidentally) for 9+ hours while gone to work, to come home and play it for four hours beyond that, with no problems at all.

Melting the disc? that sounds kind of silly.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2004, 12:49:05 PM »

I just report what I read.  Maybe they are all exagerating or maybe you guys are in the 60 percent with no problems.  I personally hope yours runs for years.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2004, 02:15:31 PM »

If 40% are having problems bad enough to melt discs, you'd think there would be more documentation for this problem than in the EB Games Customer Review section.  Which is, incidentally, the same place where rampant fanboys post 50,000 reviews of games months before they are ever released.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 03:14:19 PM »

good point.  Personally, I doubt I would let the heat issue stop me if I really wanted it.  Comes down to games for me.  Just wish there were more to my tastes is all.  Actually, I wish I love rpg's and platformers, then I'd be in gaming heaven with that machine.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
drastic
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 12:50:14 PM »

The best reason to own a ps2 these days, if you don't care for Final Fantasy-style rpgs, are some of the more oddball exclusives.  Rez, Ico, the Nippon Ichi turn-based strategy rpgs, Katamari Damacy--those types of things, that will simply not (okay, okay--are probably rather unlikely to) get multiplatform releases.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2004, 05:10:05 PM »

I have not TOTALLY given up the idea.  What makes it so tempting is that I have $130 credit at GameRush from some movies I unloaded and there are no Xbox games I want to purchase any time soon, so I thought, what the heck, add $40 to it and grab a PS2.  But no matter how easy that would be I don't want to have another GameCube experience. I will just let the money sit there and time will tell if I ever get one.  Don't care if it takes 3 months to decide really.  The ONLY game, in my eyes, worth buying coming up is Forza.  I rent all others with my game pass deal at BB.  

I have babbled on enough.  Back to your regularly schedule foruming.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2004, 06:05:32 PM »

Honestly,.. it's not hard to go look through the PS2's library of games anywhere and see if they have games you want.

It's not about what system is better, no matter what everyone wants ot think,.. it's about whether or not the system is good for you.  If you see a lot of games youw ant that the PS2 has... or is going ot have... then get one... if your like: ehhhhh then don't bother.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2004, 09:25:16 PM »

Does anybody have experience dealing with refurbished units?  I see that both GameStop and EBGames sell refurbs, and GS has one for $120 with Psi-Ops for free (they also have other game bundles for $130, but none look too tempting to me).  $30 may not seem like much to save, but with the holidays coming up any little bit helps!

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2004, 10:14:12 PM »

Beware; older PS2's are notorious for disc read errors. So either check the model number of the used PS2 you're getting, or get a new one.

hint: those mini PS2's are sexy! biggrin
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 08:05:36 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Beware; older PS2's are notorious for disc read errors. So either check the model number of the used PS2 you're getting, or get a new one.

hint: those mini PS2's are sexy! biggrin

I don't really give a crap for the size of my system, and I'm not really fond of a top-loading disc, so the new PS2 really does nothing for me.  And it's new enough that the problems are just beginning to be reported (such as the alleged overheating issues) so I wouldn't say that Sony pulled off a good one until they have been out for a little while.  

But I may just end up getting a new one since I can save 10% at Target and avoid shipping costs.  Although I'm also considering picking up the GameCube holiday bundle... :o

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: