http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:36:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UMD movies for the PSP worth it?  (Read 1430 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:52:56 PM »

I ask this cause I work on the weekends and while its considered work it is very, very BORING.  I am considering picking up one or two UMD movies to help pass the time. Whne I brought my PSP I didn't get the free Spiderman 2 UMD since I waited til the initial mad rush was over, but I did see how clear and good th movie looked.  

So my question is any other person out there like the UMD movies and think its worth the 20 buck investment?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »

If you have a PC with a DVD-ROM on it and you want to watch a lot of movies, it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a high capacity memory stick and rip DVDs to that.  I've done some experimenting with watching videos off the mem stick and the quality is generally pretty good.

For myself, I couldn't justify paying more than $10 for a UMD.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »

I had the House of Flying Daggers UMD movie and it looked pretty spectacular.  It's a bit more spendy than other UMD movies, but if you can find it cheap (i.e. Ebay most likely) it's well worth it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 06:05:32 PM »

I'm with Andrew, I don't see the point in playing $20+ for a UMD when I could pay less for a DVD I can put on my memory card and also play on a regular DVD player.  Of course, if you don't find it worthwhile to buy a big memory stick, I guess I can see UMDs being an option.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »

The picture quality is awesome, but most of the UMD movies so far have had almost no extra features or anything else to justify paying $10-15 more than its DVD equivalent (outside of being able to watch it in handheld form).

Honestly?  I prefer to buy the DVD, rip the video, and put it on a memory card if I want to see it on the PSP.  The quality only seems to be slightly worse, and it beats paying $30 for a movie you'll only watch once or twice.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:13:17 PM »

Yeah, I don't see UMD movies being popular in the long run.  I suspect they'll stop putting out movies in a year or so.  That is, unless they come out with some other uses for the UMD that turns it into a more general disc format.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »

It wholesales clubs all UMDs are $12.99 or lss. I've picked up a bunch at that price vut probably wouldn't for anything a $1 more than that..
I love the PSP as a movie player.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »

My only gripe about the UMD movies is that they are too quiet. I have to travel a lot for work, and in the car with headphones on, the volume cranked all the way up and even the +2 in the menu for umd movies on I cannot hear lots of the parts of the movies. Just way too quiet, and then insanley loud in action parts. For a handheld sony should even out the sound a bit more, even if it is different from the real version. Im telling you, if there is any outside noise at all you wont be able to hear a large amount of the dialouge even with eveerything maxed out.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 07:30:20 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Yeah, I don't see UMD movies being popular in the long run.  I suspect they'll stop putting out movies in a year or so.  That is, unless they come out with some other uses for the UMD that turns it into a more general disc format.

I disagree. smile

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,67759,00.html
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:32:38 PM »

What a GREAT question....we'll be reviewing UMDs on CG soon. slywink  Yaaay

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend