http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 01:47:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ugh! Wii component cables available online only  (Read 1569 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2006, 06:21:49 PM »

Stupid, stupid Nintendo.

At least they will be available from other online sources (EB, Best Buy, etc.) Price will be $30.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »

What's the point? To save shipping costs to stores? To make more $$ from shipping?

So how will it connect to the tv? RCA?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »

Bizarre, when Nintendo says the Wii is not a high def console, they really mean it.

It must only come with composite (RCA) cables.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:14 PM »

ONLY online! AGAIN?

For the LOVE OF FUCKING CHRIST, NINTENDO.....

And people wonder WHY Nintendo thinks that nobody owns an HD TV - it's because nobody knew the Gamecube supported anything other than AV! NOBODY knew the cables were out there at YOUR OWN website!

This also explains why I couldn't preorder the damn cables through my local EB in the first place.

!@#%!*%!@$

Anybody know if I can preorder these? Or grab them from Nintendo ahead of time?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »

Glad I kept my NES RF Adaptor handy!

How widespread are HDTVs and HD programming in Japan?  Is this just some sort of cultural thing?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 19, 2006, 06:42:14 PM

ONLY online! AGAIN?

For the LOVE OF FUCKING CHRIST, NINTENDO.....

Ditto.  I actually purchased Japanese Cube component cables from an import shop because they were always out of stock from NOA.

Dear Nintendo, you guys rock, and I love your games, and buy all your systems, but dammit! Stop being so damn backwards!  icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

Just plain stupid.  *shakes head*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:54:58 PM »

Well, crap.  Hopefully they will be available before launch so I can buy it ahead of time and have it for when I bring the Wii home on the 19th.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:46 PM »

Ugh.  I still remember bringing my Cube home only to discover I had to go online to get component cables.  Even though they only took about two days to arrive it still killed that initial new console excitement since it looked so awful on my HDTV without them. 

Luckily, I won't be playing the Wii until Christmas (assuming I can get one of course), so that should give me ample time to order them ahead of time. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:13:02 PM »

So this effectively makes the Wii $279 then.

I still need to try it for myself before I buy one.  The lack of online multiplayer in any of the launch titles and my doubts about the controller have pushed me out.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

Well, at least I know Mad Catz will have some cables ready IN STORE for launch... They have had a listing at EB for the Mad Catz cables for a long time. I won't get the official ones for the express reason that they can be bought online only. Hopefully they'll sell out at the online retailers like Bestbuy and Eb and someone will get smart and say, hey?! Why aren't these in our stores.

I knew I was going to have to buy component cables for a while now, and now I am going to have to get a switch, so I can go between my 360 and my Wii on the last input I have for component.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 09:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 19, 2006, 09:40:31 PM

Well, at least I know Mad Catz will have some cables ready IN STORE for launch... They have had a listing at EB for the Mad Catz cables for a long time. I won't get the official ones for the express reason that they can be bought online only. Hopefully they'll sell out at the online retailers like Bestbuy and Eb and someone will get smart and say, hey?! Why aren't these in our stores.

I just punched EB's website up, and they're charging $60 for the fucking things. What, are they made of gold?

In the end, this is a VERY bad thing. You know why developers (short of Nintendo themselves) didn't support 480p on the Cube? Nobody had the cables to display 480p, because nobody knew they were available.

Stupid, Nintendo. VERY stupid. Again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 09:55:01 PM »

from my understanding the price is Placeholder, I mean look at some of the other prices they are asking for games without release dates or MSRPs? Yeah...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 19, 2006, 09:55:01 PM

from my understanding the price is Placeholder, I mean look at some of the other prices they are asking for games without release dates or MSRPs? Yeah...

And it's also called the "Wii HD Premium Component Cable". Premium, as in 'charging you up the ass as they have gold contacts' or some shit like that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the price listed is correct. And people will buy the thing in stores (not knowing there's the 'official' version for $30 less online) just to have 480p support. I know I for one would get it (as I do not want to go back to 480i for anything anymore) if I didn't know about the cheaper one.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 02:22:54 AM »

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7308187&style=games&cart=412500890&BAB=D

does that satify you Tim? does it? Huh? does that make you happY!!! saywhat :icon_eek: crybaby icon_neutral Roll Eyes

It sucks, it truly does, but nearly as bad as Sony not shipping a fullon HD system without atleast the component cables, I mean it IS the only truly HD console right? Amiright? Right? Not to mention having to buy HDMI cables to actually get 1080p

All work and no play makes Tebby go grazy!!!

No seriously, all Nintendo has to do to deflect bad news is point at Sony and say, we're not screwing up as much as them...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 03:35:17 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 02:22:54 AM

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7308187&style=games&cart=412500890&BAB=D

does that satify you Tim? does it? Huh? does that make you happY!!! saywhat :icon_eek: crybaby icon_neutral Roll Eyes

See? It doesn't say 'Premium' anywhere on there. That's why it's so cheap.  icon_biggrin

If that's out at launch, that's what I'll be getting. You can't screw up video cables unless you really try hard to do so.

And you're right about the 'we're not doing things as badly as Sony is' thing. I still can't believe some of the things Sony has done as far as the PS3 launch goes.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »

The PS3 doesn't come with component cables?  I know there is no HDMI, but I would find it hard to believe no component.  Even Sony's not that dumb.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 05:03:47 PM »

It sucks, it truly does, but nearly as bad as Sony not shipping a fullon HD system without atleast the component cables, I mean it IS the only truly HD console right? Amiright? Right? Not to mention having to buy HDMI cables to actually get 1080p

I see it as a wash.  It's crappy that Sony isn't shipping with component cables but the flip side is that it's compatible with PS2 component cables so it's a non factor for those of us who already have them, plus PS2 component cables have been on the market so long they can be pretty cheap to obtain second hand through game stores or places like Ebay.  Meanwhile, even though I already have component cables for the Cube, I *can't* use those for the Wii, so it will be the Wii, and not the PS3, that I will have to buy cables for.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 05:05:50 PM »

I mean it IS the only truly HD console right? Amiright? Right? Not to mention having to buy HDMI cables to actually get 1080p

This is simply not true.  When XBox 360 releases the 1080p patch, you will be able to get games in native 1080p over component and both games and movies in 1080p over VGA.  That makes it and the PS3 both the only true HD consoles.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 05:19:42 PM »

Yeah, well that's fine and all for deconstructing the arguement, but that's in the future not now, and it makes too much sense. Let me have my fun.  nod

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 05:52:38 PM »

Why does Nintnedo hate HDTV so much?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:05:50 PM

I mean it IS the only truly HD console right? Amiright? Right? Not to mention having to buy HDMI cables to actually get 1080p

This is simply not true.  When XBox 360 releases the 1080p patch, you will be able to get games in native 1080p over component and both games and movies in 1080p over VGA.  That makes it and the PS3 both the only true HD consoles.

Except many/most 1080p TV's will only accept 1080i/720p over Component. You have to use the HDMI input for 1080p, due to the stupid copy protection crap. The 360 doesn't have HDMI, so no 1080p.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 05:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 20, 2006, 05:55:21 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:05:50 PM

Except many/most 1080p TV's will only accept 1080i/720p over Component. You have to use the HDMI input for 1080p, due to the stupid copy protection crap. The 360 doesn't have HDMI, so no 1080p.

360 can do 1080p over VGA though, for those with TVs that support that (which is a lot more common than component 1080p support). 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 06:08:06 AM »

And according to this interview via Game Informer, the Wii Component Cables will be available at physical stores at launch:

GI: Will component cables be available on day one?

Kaplan: Yes, at retail and online. Best Buy, GameStop, Circuit City, etc… and Nintendo.com.

I sure as hell hope she's right.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 06:13:51 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 20, 2006, 03:35:17 AM

See? It doesn't say 'Premium' anywhere on there. That's why it's so cheap.  icon_biggrin

If that's out at launch, that's what I'll be getting. You can't screw up video cables unless you really try hard to do so.

And you're right about the 'we're not doing things as badly as Sony is' thing. I still can't believe some of the things Sony has done as far as the PS3 launch goes.

Sadly, that's not out at launch.  It now lists as releasing Feb 9, 2007.

ED/GS are still showing Dec 1 for the Oooo Premium Oooo HD cables from MadCatz.  And you still can't pre-order.  If this thing doesn't have component available at launch, I'm going to be pissed.

On a similarly annoying side note, I can't pre-order the classic controller, either.  I only need one, so I'm rolling the dice that it'll be available, but I'll be irked if it's not.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: