http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:18:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFO:Aftermath. patch 1.4 is out  (Read 1770 times)
dbt1949
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:25:07 PM »

For those interested I just noticed that there's a new 1.4 patch out for UFO.
http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/support.html

Ye Olde Farte
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 02:37:58 PM »

I really liked this one up to the point where you did the russian base.  After that it just got so crazy tough it was rediculous.  I picked up a mod a while back that was supposed to balance things out, but it always crashed on me.... oh well... hopefully Xenocide will release someday...

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 02:53:56 PM »

Any good deals out there on this title?  It's one I've been thinking of picking up.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 03:13:37 PM »

[*spoiler warning]

I got past the insanely difficult Russian base mission, but quit when my guys started getting taken over by enemies all the time.  I realize that the "wonderful" X-Com did this, but really it is overused in both games and not any more enjoyable than priests in Age of Empires converting your units during a battle.

[end spoiler]

Overall a game that had great potential, and (dare I say it?) absorbed me more than X-Com did, mostly because it wasn't as hard -- at least to start.  Plus, a big bonus over X-Com is that you get attached to your characters, and the development of your characters is much better and easier to follow.  Just makes it that much worse when the stuff I mentioned in the spoiler happens to you later in the game.  Another big problem I had with the game was the repetitive nature of the battles, which were just "load everyone up with lots of weapons, then shoot the bad guys as fast as you can from massed firepower".  Sure, you could use tactics in the game, if you wanted to, but you didn't have to in order to be effective.  Plus, for some reason it seemed that the list of possible tactics was severely limited.

Best monster in a game ever!  (You'll know them when you see 'em, I'd hate to spoil the surprise.  But they're nowhere near as tough as they look.)

One thing for anyone playing through this again -- if you tell your guy to equip a weapon, and he doesn't do it, just unpause the game.  Equipping a weapon takes time, so unpause and you'll watch him equip the weapon that you just ordered him to.  Lots of people thought this was a bug.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: