http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFO : Extraterrestrials Gold  (Read 13225 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »

I've been looking for something like X-Com for awhile, haven't we all?  I played the UFO : Aftershock game and thought it was decent, but didn't quite hit the mark.  When this first came out, I had high hopes.  Once it was released, it was panned for poor design decisions and dated graphics.  The graphics I like, so that's no big deal for me.  But I heard you couldn't lose soldiers, and it hired them automatically, etc.  That is nothing like X-Com, so I didn't bother.  Supposedly this Gold Edition incorporates "BMANN's Mod" into it, which rebalances the game and changes things like allowing soldiers to be killed off and hired at the players direction, to make it more inline with X-Com.  I just picked it upon Steam for $17.99, hopefully I'll get my money's worth.

Has anyone played the original, with or without the mod?  I'm curious to here some impressions.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »

I got it when it came out, it was fun but there were enough nitpicky things that added up to me not really enjoying it.  Didn't try it with the patch and don't know where my copy is anymore.  Not sure it's worth me scrounging the money up to try again.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »

I just started playing this again last week.  Bman's mods make the game better, and it plays like an updated x-com, which is great.  I enjoyed it.  I think Bman doesn't mod it anymore, but there's someone else that took his mod and built more on it.  I forget what it's called.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »

There was more too it than just changing it to be more like X-Com the game itself shipped with less basic turn based strategy features than X-Com.  To be honest, it was a pretty shoddy development in the first place, only somewhat saved by modders and the fact that the developer used a common scripting language to handle a lot of gameplay and interface systems, allowing modders free reign.

I used Bman's mod heavily back when I played it, but even then it got old and still didn't live up to X-Com.  So normally I'd say don't bother unless you really want something to hold you other until some day in the future someone makes a true successor.  As it stands, Bman's mod still had integration issues, and other core game parts that couldn't be modded are problematic.  They also don't have a map randomizer, so you visit the same locales a lot.  However, if the developer truly integrated in these features, it might be worth a look.

One good thing about the AI is that the last few aliens on the map is given almost suicidal tendencies, reducing the need to hunt him down.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »

Played for the last few hours with all of BMann's options turned on, and it sure seems like X-Com to me.  Pretty much the same game, except the fact that you are on some weird planet instead of earth.  I've done several UFO interceptions and haven't seen the same map twice, so not sure about that complaint.  Research, production, real threat of death, it's all there.  I've got one soldier up to Corpral, most of the others are PFCs.  One of my main guys I started with took several bad gut shots in the second or third mission, he lived but has been in the hospital for the past month recovering.

Overall I'd have to say it's the closest I've come to X-Com, bar none.  UFO : Afterlight was decent, but this is so much better and easily worth the $18.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:04:29 AM »

Got my game back up and running, but I can't seem to find the latest version of BMann's.  Anyone have a link?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:17:40 AM »

Okay, I'm going to buy the gold edition from steam. Is it confirmed that Bman's mod is already included?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 21, 2010, 04:17:40 AM

Okay, I'm going to buy the gold edition from steam. Is it confirmed that Bman's mod is already included?

Yes. Mostly.

http://ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?10379

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 20, 2010, 08:07:22 PM

I used Bman's mod heavily back when I played it, but even then it got old and still didn't live up to X-Com.  So normally I'd say don't bother unless you really want something to hold you other until some day in the future someone makes a true successor. 

Although not perfect, it played very well and seemed just like an updated x-com ufo defense to me.  maybe you played an earlier version of bman's mod, and not the later ones?
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »

I played yesterday for several hours and really love the game.  I still say it's the closest you can get to X-Com, without just playing the original.  I took some shots from various parts of the game, graphics aren't fantastic but look pretty good.

The geoscape, makes me miss earth but serves it's purpose.

My current base layout, I immediately added 2 more lab facilities, 2 more workshops, and alien containment.  More facilities means more scientists/techs.

Doing some intial research on laser weapons, plan to outfit the entire squad.

Research complete!

Production screen, here I've got a project going to build ammo for my laser pistols.

Of course if you don't feel like making it yourself, you can always head to the shop and buy some of what you need.

Outfitting my squad for a mission.

The initial landing, if those doesn't make you think of X-Com I don't know what would.

Hunting down the last few aliens, with BMann's mod you can turn off their suicidal nature and actually work to find them.

Doing a little research on your enemy never hurts.

I also like how you can research each alien to find out it's nature and possible weaknesses.

Inside a fighter-class UFO, much bigger than the scouts.

Searching the ship for survivors.

My tank unit facing down multiple hostiles, which can be very dangerous if you aren't careful.

Sometimes you have to heal or stabilize troops on the battlefield, otherwise they might die before you can hunt down that last alien.

After-action report.  Three promotions, no deaths, but two people did take hits.

A couple missions later half my roster was in the hospital for various injuries.

After surviving several successful missions, one of which put him the hospital for a few days, Deakon is finally promoted to Corporal.

Interceptor fighter, which is used to shoot down UFOs.  Note the upgraded laser cannons.

End of month financial statement, and report from the various provinces on how I did protecting them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:55:57 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »

It's a nice enough game, mods or not, but not using the real Earth destroys the mood IMHO.  One of the reasons why XCom worked was because the terror missions were happening to real cities.

There aren't any perfect XCom clones.  The UFO series has its moments, though.  I still like Aftermath given the setting which makes is basically post-apocalyptic XCom. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 22, 2010, 07:59:55 AM

It's a nice enough game, mods or not, but not using the real Earth destroys the mood IMHO. 

Though it didn't ruin the game, I agree that it would have been a great improvement if they had just used the real earth.  Is Earth copyrighted or something?  Does someone have the patent on the planet Earth?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »

Quote from: frost on February 22, 2010, 02:26:42 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on February 22, 2010, 07:59:55 AM

It's a nice enough game, mods or not, but not using the real Earth destroys the mood IMHO. 

Though it didn't ruin the game, I agree that it would have been a great improvement if they had just used the real earth.  Is Earth copyrighted or something?  Does someone have the patent on the planet Earth?

that's what I was wondering as well. I'm suprised that there isn't an Earth mod out there for this game

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

Perhaps Xcom has the patent for an Xcom-lookalike with earth? ;-)

A new one
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »

I can't see where there'd be a rights issue-- I'm pretty sure Earth is the very definition of Public Domain.

That being said, I have Extraterrestrials and fire it up from time to time, and it's as good as you're going to get as far as a modernized X-Com.  Does anyone know if they ever fixed the glitch that prevented you from building labs and barracks in your alternate bases?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:06 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 21, 2010, 03:04:29 AM

Got my game back up and running, but I can't seem to find the latest version of BMann's.  Anyone have a link?

http://www.ufo-scene.com/download.php?view.114

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »

So, I've been playing this game again despite myself.  As noted above, I found the BMan mod and have tried to install it.  I say "try" because I don't think it's working and don't really understand why.  There aren't any instructions included, but it looked like a simple file replacement would do the trick. 

Anyone have any ideas?

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »

http://www.ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1576

Use this link to the forum post for a list of all the changes, and the latest links, including one for an easy installation for it.

Bman has seriously added a lot to the game since I played it, and even back then he'd practically rewritten most of the game systems.  Talk about a dedicated modder.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 23, 2010, 10:05:36 PM

http://www.ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1576

Use this link to the forum post for a list of all the changes, and the latest links, including one for an easy installation for it.

Bman has seriously added a lot to the game since I played it, and even back then he'd practically rewritten most of the game systems.  Talk about a dedicated modder.

All the "easy installation" version does is give you a file that unzips into a newly created folder that contains two files.  Neither of those files is an ".exe" type. There are no instructions beyond that.  One of those new files has a twin in the game files, so I'm assuming you are supposed to replace the original with the mod file, which I've done, but to no apparent effect.

- American Dad
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »

It has been a while since I played, but, have you checked the options screen once the game boots up?  I seem to remember that most of the things that were affected by the mod were selected on that screen.

I don't really remember if things were changed by default or not.  I do remember enjoying the game a lot more with the mod.  Still have the game installed, may have to play some soon.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

So environments are destructible?

morlac00 on PSN
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »

I don't remember UFO ET being panned when it was first released.

I'd use some mods though; those are some of the ugliest troopers around. lt looks like they've already taken a few phaser hits to their mugs already. But that's trivial, the real good stuff is the mod's weapons.

The non-Earth setting was ok by me; there's nothing special about going on a Terror Mission to save "Chicago" or "Ilyria". It plays out the same. In any case, the original X-Com, eventually had us leaving for Mars.

Destructible terrain seems to be a big deal to many. Eh, it reminds me of how when we were kids, my brother any time a dog was in a movie, he'd ask "Does the dog die?" If it didn't, then it was a good movie.

I'm surprised the game's not cheaper after all this time.

As much as I've liked the XCOM successor games; none of them have left me with the wonder and amusement of XCOM. I'm probably finished with this type of tactical game for good until some challenging AI or exciting graphic or...something is added to the mix. Frankly, after awhile, they're grinds to finish. You're not seeing anything new. You're not smiling in surprise at an AI's move or at a new monster...

The UFO Aftermath series were enjoyable and I liked their "endings". I was disappointed by UFO ETs ending. Anyone who's assembled an elite combat team will understand.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:24:55 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »

I reinstalled this due to the buzz.  Hoping to play tonight, after installing all the mods and what-not.  You can tell if you got B-Man's mod installed correctly from the main menu -- there is an extra button added to the menu if you did it right (Additional Options if I recall correctly).  It is pretty easy to install the base mod -- just overwrite the file in your data directory with the same name.  Make sure you've patched first.

I really like the new faces included in B-Man's optional mods -- except that I am trying to place each of the actors and I can't remember which movies I have seen them all in. smile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »

I liked UFO ET with B-Man's mod pretty well. I would say I prefer UFO Afterlight, even if it is pausable real-time. UFO ET could be brutally difficult, at times (particularly if you turned on the "real death" part of B-Man's mod). I don't know, Afterlight had more character, a real planet (Mars, which you could terraform), cooler missions, a real sense of HOLY CRAP THIS IS GOING TO SUCK as the end drew nearer (particularly if your weapon tech wasn't enough to deal with certain challenges).

I would also like to note that B-Man is the modder responsible for making Lost Empire: Immortals playable. That guy should get a freakin' medal or something!

Bael
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 24, 2010, 09:17:56 AM

It has been a while since I played, but, have you checked the options screen once the game boots up?  I seem to remember that most of the things that were affected by the mod were selected on that screen.

I don't really remember if things were changed by default or not.  I do remember enjoying the game a lot more with the mod.  Still have the game installed, may have to play some soon.

I don't see any options or anything and I definately have the mod file installed.  Nothing seems to be any different, though.  And I've already run into the games biggest annoyance, which is the inability to recruit soldiers on your own accord.  It makes losing a mission badly an automatic reload rather then a "move on and live with it" option.  In XCom you could lose a given mission badly and still survive; in ET you can't really afford that kind of loss when all you are left with is a base full of wounded soldiers and being forced to do nothing for weeks while the aliens are active around you.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my version is patched to the wrong version for the mod to work with.  I'm not really inclined to reinstall and mess around with different patch levels at this point.

- American Dad
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »

Just wanted to say that GamersGate has the "non-gold" version on sale for $3.98.  You can install the mods yourself which should pretty much make it what UFO Gold is.  I've been playing the hell out of it for the past couple of days and have more than gotten my money's worth already.  You really get attached to your soldiers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: