http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubisoft unveils new copy protection system; R.U.S.E. Not using it!  (Read 11292 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »

I believe they're referring to the warez scene, and their big marks would be triple-A titles they've cracked.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 04, 2010, 03:39:29 PM

Come now, one of the commenters explains it quite nicely:

I have something I do not understand, or Sega run a complete idiot?
How, how you can think of to release the game on a PC without an online mode? This simply does not make sense, they’re not sell anything! Without multiplayer, there is no motivation to buy litsuhu, because to play through Inet need litsezionny unique code, for what else? And really given Segui contact with TRIMs, designed for Internet services, make a game without online multiplayer well, too, too stupid, even for Segui. And so you can be satisfied with a pirated version with torrents with a clear conscience, because piratka holders will have the full version of the ASR without any disadvantages. Now I am sure that about 80 percent of people at the Forum will cost piratka. After purchase licensed version really lost its meaning.
Yes, and then they still complain that the game is not for sale. Ugh.

icon_biggrin

Steam profile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:05 PM »

Sorry, I had to:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »

wait, they still put effort into Sonic titles?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 04, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

you can be a professional warez'er?   icon_confused

aaarrgh, yes ye can, so says I, ye just need a eye patch and a parrot.

the pegleg be optional.

They're professionals... They need a tie as well.... And these are hardcore professionals.... I don't think the pegleg is optional....
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:31 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 04, 2010, 02:27:47 PM

And apparently Ubisoft has gone into Damage Control mode:

You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked. Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.

Yeah, it doesn't have any of your bullshit DRM in it, that's what.

With that said, VE3D went on to say (which I haven't poked around enough to verify):

A spot of clarification: Silent Hunter V: Battle Of The Atlantic has been scene cracked; Assassin's Creed II has supposedly been cracked by someone over in Russia. Applying the scene crack to your legally purchased copy of Silent Hunter V will give you a complete game with none of the Cloud Copy Protection grief. The Russian Assassin's Creed II code floating about may be missing the digitally distributed DLC, which would give the publisher another reason to bandy about the 'incomplete' accusation.

And my bolded part still shows that Ubisoft's DRM has been completely and totally removed by the crackers in the very least.

Well, this means they cant turn around and say bad sales are because of piracy....
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down

LOL.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »

Wow.  From that article:

Well, as it turns out, when the Ubioft severs go down, no one can play their games and Ubisoft customers get very upset. At around 8am GMT, people began to complain in the Assassin's Creed 2 forum that they couldn't access the Ubisoft servers and were unable to play their games. Fast forward ten hours and it seems that the problem still hasn't been resolved, despite the assurances from a Ubisoft representative that the servers were 'constantly monitored'

(Emphasis mine)

Unable to play a single-player game that you bought because of a server being down?  That would really piss me off.  Fuck Ubisoft.

Steam profile
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2010, 10:49:20 PM »

You know, for this situation, I don't feel one bit sorry for any of the people who bought this game knowing about the DRM ahead of time.. In fact, I think it serves them right......
I especially like seeing some of the people complaining who kept saying 'no problems here" while other people reported problems...
I hope they are down for a week....
I am really surprised that there are people surprised that this happened.

They currently have 2 games running on the servers, one of which isn't even available in the US yet.... Can't wait to see what happens when the rest of the games come out...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:00:38 PM by Punisher » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »

I'm not a tech guy by any means, but it seems to me that dedicated servers, infrastructure, bandwidth for constant monitoring, personnel, etc., would be far more expensive that what they would have lost from "casual" piracy.  Am I way off-base there?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:35:57 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 08, 2010, 12:34:19 AM

I'm not a tech guy by any means, but it seems to me that dedicated servers, infrastructure, bandwidth for constant monitoring, personnel, etc., would be far more expensive that what they would have lost from "casual" piracy.  Am I way off-base there?
It would depend on how much they attribute to piracy and IF that was the only reason for the DRM (preventing used sales is another reason)

Don't know how many servers they have, but if the servers are dedicated to the DRM let's say they are $1500-$2000 each.. Maybe they have 25? Thebandwidth for the monitoring would probably be minimal as would the personnel. They have montioried the existing issue for a day now, not sure if it's fixed or not yet, but that would indicate minimal personnel. Not too mention I doubt very much they hired anyone for this, they probably used existing admins... bandwidth for the verification is also probably not that much either..
Also, they could get away with chear/less servers than I mentioned...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »

And Ubisoft continues to play Damage Control:

Apologies to anyone who couldn’t play ACII or SH5 yesterday. Servers were attacked which limited service from 2:30pm to 9pm Paris time

95% of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors

/bullshit

And I saw this elsewhere:

You know what's incredibly ironic about this game?

By forcing the server connection, Ubisoft not only gave pirates a better, more hassle-free user experience, but--and this is key--it gave the pirates a way to deny legitimate purchasers from playing the game at all.

Ubisoft is just total fail. How long will it take before they realize that they fucked up bigtime and change their minds?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 05:09:47 PM »

Apearently, the login servers are down again, and both SH5 and Assasins Creed 2 has been pulled from the Steamstores, with mods deleting every post asking why...

You go, UBI-Girl! This DRM scheme of yours is really rockin' (The boat, anyways)

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »

I bet they are getting attacked by hackers. That would be my guess. Serves them right. The exec that came up with/approved this stupid DRM should be fired.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »

Yes, but now they get to play the poor victim.  Those nasty hackers hate the legitimate gamers and are attacking the bastion of free market enterprise to prevent them from getting what they paid for.  Strike up the band, wrap them in the flag, and cue the overlay of the bald eagle.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 08, 2010, 05:18:06 PM

I bet they are getting attacked by hackers. That would be my guess. Serves them right. The exec that came up with/approved this stupid DRM should be fired.
Yep.  They have already claimed yesterdays downtime was attributed to an attack.  They are also stil lclaiming that neither game has been hacked yet.

""Servers were attacked and while the servers did not go down, service was limited from 2:30 pm to 9:00 pm Paris time [1:30 pm - 8:00 pm GMT]," the statement continued. "95 per cent of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors. All players with an open session during the attack were not affected."

The company also maintained that despite reports to the contrary, its hot new DRM system hasn't yet been cracked, adding, "We also confirm that, at this time, no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin's Creed 2 are available."

The DRM servers are reportedly back on but Ubisoft is still apparently suffering from problems of some sort: As of 10 am EST on Monday, the Ubi forums, including this official "DRM problems" thread, are only available on a very intermittent basis.
"

morlac00 on PSN
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »

So, if you buy a game which isn't playable for whatever reason (say this one) for an extended time, what rights do the consumers have?

Its always a big joke those who say "I"m gonna sue... wargarble", however in this case the game can't be played, UBI has been incapable of providing servers or expertise to actualize their DRM (maintaining the constant connection), so what can consumers do?   I'd love to see a consumer driven movement on this slapping UBI in the face.  Then again I'd love to see a consumer driven movement against games being released as pay for play betas too so take that as you will.

Meh, I didn't buy it an don't intend to unless a) the DRM is removed and b) its sold for a LOT less.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »

what, they didn't expect a full on assault by those with nothing better to do and access to massive zombie-nets at their disposal? 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »

20 minutes ago:

"Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted "

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »

I don't think this is ever going to end.  All I know is that Ubisoft has lost me as a customer.  I don't mind DRM,  but this scheme is just horrid!

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »

Here is the major problem as I see it.  Unless they somehow strip this horrible DRM for you before they do it, you are only going to be able to play the game for as long as they decide to keep the DRM servers up and running.  That doesn't seem right. 

EA shut down their Madden 09 servers this year as well as tons of others.  Sucks for those paying customers, and their DRM scheme was a failure before it evern began on all of those games.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/ea-shuts-down-25-game-servers-including-madden-09.ars

The same thing could happen in this case too.  It stands to reason anyway that they will shut the servers down at some point.  Regardless of how long you might play a game, the fact that they dictate that in itself sucks. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:56 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 08, 2010, 08:02:58 PM

20 minutes ago:

"Our servers are under attack again. Some gamers are experiencing trouble signing in. We're working on it and will keep you posted "

icon_lol 

I'm done with Ubisoft as a customer, and find it all rather hilarious at this point.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2010, 10:42:07 PM

Wow.  From that article:

Well, as it turns out, when the Ubioft severs go down, no one can play their games and Ubisoft customers get very upset. At around 8am GMT, people began to complain in the Assassin's Creed 2 forum that they couldn't access the Ubisoft servers and were unable to play their games. Fast forward ten hours and it seems that the problem still hasn't been resolved, despite the assurances from a Ubisoft representative that the servers were 'constantly monitored'

(Emphasis mine)

Unable to play a single-player game that you bought because of a server being down?  That would really piss me off.  Fuck Ubisoft.

No, fuck pirates.  While I can acknowledge that, as a practical matter, legit users are being hosed, I continue to be amazed that there is so much ire directed at Ubi when the pirates *are the one causing the problem*.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »

I need a good fiddling animation so I can fiddle while Ubi's servers burn.

Because I can,
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »

How do they expect to protect the world from pirates when they cant even protect their own servers?

I weep for humanity.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »

Maybe they want to stop making PC games and this is all just a ploy to prove their point  ninja

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 08, 2010, 09:07:37 PM

Maybe they want to stop making PC games and this is all just a ploy to prove their point  ninja

if they wanted to do that they should have just stopped making them; they'd be getting a lot less ridicule than they are at this point.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on March 08, 2010, 08:54:49 PM

No, fuck pirates.  While I can acknowledge that, as a practical matter, legit users are being hosed, I continue to be amazed that there is so much ire directed at Ubi when the pirates *are the one causing the problem*.

Don't be silly.  Ubisoft implemented this DRM scheme, not pirates.  Whatever the cause of a server outage - because there will be outages that are directly Ubisoft's fault - the fact is it was Ubisoft's decision to use this DRM.  This is Ubisoft's fault, nobody else's.

Steam profile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

I think Ubi deserves every bit of "ire" that they get.  It's pretty simple really.  Ubi knew 2 things before this game was released:  1.) DRM does not stop piracy at all.  2.) Customers who actually purchase the game legitimately get screwed over every time.  

Their choice?  Ignore both undeniable truths and release it anyway with horrible DRM restrictions.  

Maybe they should have just accepted the fact that Piracy happens and not taken it out once again on the paying customer and dialied back the DRM a bit.  At least they can be comforted in the fact that in most instances of piracy it doesn't lead directly to a lost sale and that sometimes piracy can even lead to more sales.  

Whatever though.  In the end, we lose and they have the scourge of piracy to blame all of their problems on again.        
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:20:54 PM by deadzone » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »

LEAVE UBISOFT ALONE!!!!  

slywink

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on March 07, 2010, 10:49:20 PM

You know, for this situation, I don't feel one bit sorry for any of the people who bought this game knowing about the DRM ahead of time.. In fact, I think it serves them right......
I especially like seeing some of the people complaining who kept saying 'no problems here" while other people reported problems...
I hope they are down for a week....
I am really surprised that there are people surprised that this happened.

They currently have 2 games running on the servers, one of which isn't even available in the US yet.... Can't wait to see what happens when the rest of the games come out...

I agree with this. Anyone supporting this bullshit deserves every problems that come along with it. Ubisoft is is irrelevant anyways. I hope they crash and burn.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 08, 2010, 09:15:15 PM

No, fuck pirates.  While I can acknowledge that, as a practical matter, legit users are being hosed, I continue to be amazed that there is so much ire directed at Ubi when the pirates *are the one causing the problem*.

Don't be silly.  Ubisoft implemented this DRM scheme, not pirates.  Whatever the cause of a server outage - because there will be outages that are directly Ubisoft's fault - the fact is it was Ubisoft's decision to use this DRM.  This is Ubisoft's fault, nobody else's.

Well, wait a minute. Isn't saying that UBI is at fault because pirates are lobbing DDOS attacks at them like saying a woman deserves to get raped because she wears a short skirt?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »

Wow.  From that article:

(Emphasis mine)

psst buddy, pirates aren't your customers. why should a legit customer be punished for because someone else decided to not to purchase the game legally? you know what the best DRM is? Actually supporting your damn product after it launched. Far too many companies are now use to shipping and forgetting. Fuck that. If you're game is a buggy piece of shit, I wouldn't buy it either. I don't support ridiculous DRM and I especially will never, ever support a shitty game.

Pirates are not there customers, period. How much do you think their games would be if they instead used the money to oh, I don't konw, let's say take an extra 2 months and remove bugs? How much better would be games if instead of asking how can we fuck our legit customers in the ass they instead ask, how can we make this game better so people WANT to buy it and support us? How much loyalty would a company get instead of shipping a buggy piece of shit game that only pirates can play they instead fix bugs before and after launch, add some extra content every so often so people want to buy the product?

So no, I won't say fuck the pirates. I will say fuck the companies who do this bullshit and think they can get away with it. Fuck everyone supports this bullshit so they companies feel that they are getting away. You made your shitty bed of DRM, now lie in it.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 08, 2010, 09:25:43 PM

Wow.  From that article:

(Emphasis mine)

Unable to play a single-player game that you bought because of a server being down?  That would really piss me off.  Fuck Ubisoft.

psst buddy, pirates aren't your customers. why should a legit customer be punished for because someone else decided to not to purchase the game legally?

Precisely.  Now who, exactly, is preventing legitimate customers from reaching the Ubi servers?  
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »

No, fuck pirates.  While I can acknowledge that, as a practical matter, legit users are being hosed, I continue to be amazed that there is so much ire directed at Ubi when the pirates *are the one causing the problem*.

Don't be silly.  Ubisoft implemented this DRM scheme, not pirates.  Whatever the cause of a server outage - because there will be outages that are directly Ubisoft's fault - the fact is it was Ubisoft's decision to use this DRM.  This is Ubisoft's fault, nobody else's.

Whose fault would it be if Ubi made hammers and someone beat me to death with one?
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 08, 2010, 09:19:29 PM

LEAVE UBISOFT ALONE!!!!  

slywink

Heh smile  Let me be clear that I think Ubi didn't think this through.  I just think that blaming Ubi when pirates deny access to servers is stupid.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

Ubi's execs who thought of this scheme in the first place.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on March 08, 2010, 09:30:38 PM

Quote from: jersoc on March 08, 2010, 09:25:43 PM

Wow.  From that article:

(Emphasis mine)

Unable to play a single-player game that you bought because of a server being down?  That would really piss me off.  Fuck Ubisoft.

psst buddy, pirates aren't your customers. why should a legit customer be punished for because someone else decided to not to purchase the game legally?

Precisely.  Now who, exactly, is preventing legitimate customers from reaching the Ubi servers?  

Would you appreciate it if you were shopping for groceries using cash widthdrawn from an ATM and the clerk told you he can't accept it because your bank is currently being robbed, since your bank has issued a rule that says nobody is allowed to use cash from their bank if the bank isn't available on the phone? The bank may be in the process of being robbed, but that shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not you can use the cash from their ATM machines.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 08, 2010, 09:22:03 PM

Don't be silly.  Ubisoft implemented this DRM scheme, not pirates.  Whatever the cause of a server outage - because there will be outages that are directly Ubisoft's fault - the fact is it was Ubisoft's decision to use this DRM.  This is Ubisoft's fault, nobody else's.

Well, wait a minute. Isn't saying that UBI is at fault because pirates are lobbing DDOS attacks at them like saying a woman deserves to get raped because she wears a short skirt?

Isn't there an OO R&P thread you should be posting in?  slywink

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on March 08, 2010, 09:19:16 PM

I think Ubi deserves every bit of "ire" that they get.  It's pretty simple really.  Ubi knew 2 things before this game was released:  1.) DRM does not stop piracy at all.  2.) Customers who actually purchase the game legitimately get screwed over every time.  

Their choice?  Ignore both undeniable truths and release it anyway with horrible DRM restrictions.  

Precisely.  DRM doesn't stop piracy, that's a fact.  And even if this particular vile piece of DRM did, legitimate customers will still be screwed under any of the other myriad circumstances that they won't be able to play the game.  There are actually some forms of DRM I accept, like disc checks for example.  But this scheme is utterly contemptuous of paying customers and I think it's repugnant.  I won't buy Ubisoft games any more even if they (properly) made the next Ultima.

Steam profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: