http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:30:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Worlds. anyone on board?  (Read 4401 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:26 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 21, 2007, 08:12:23 PM

The PC demo is available now - I'm at 82%.

I cannot find any place with a decent download rate right now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 03:10:22 AM »

I gotta wait on a review of the 360 version of this one. I just bought Bioshock and Persona 3 came last Friday. There are so many games coming out in the next few weeks that I need to pace myself.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2007, 12:38:26 AM

Nor can I, so I just didn't bother. It's funny that my first thought was "is this demo on steam?" Steam rocks.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 04:02:07 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2007, 03:20:00 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2007, 12:38:26 AM

Nor can I, so I just didn't bother. It's funny that my first thought was "is this demo on steam?" Steam rocks.

jebus!  even later on in the day I can't get anything decent.  must be a popular demo.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »

I'm OUT! - but I am interested in thoughts and impressions.  I could easily be swayed depending on the feedback.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 01:54:12 PM »

I downloaded the demo (from FileFront) and the fact that it even ran on my PC was surprising.  I jammed it all down to medium settings and it wasn't perfectly smooth but it ran better than LOTRO beta did. 

I never played Oblivion (the shame!), but this seemed like a decent RPG from what I saw.  Certainly better third person animation that they had in that game.  Voice acting wasn't too bad at all and the graphics would probably look good on a nice system or a 360.  I'd say to give it a try if you were at all interested. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »

If the game had come out earlier during the summer I would most likely have picked it up.  Coming out now... I have way too many other games that I am sure I'll enjoy to pick up one that I might enjoy.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 03:10:39 PM »

Oblivion rip off.

Bad: Voice acting and script is cringe worthy.

Good: Looks pretty enough and combat is fun hack n slash. Ran solid with full details on my mid-low level machine.

I was only going to give it a few minutes and next thing i knew i had spent my entire night on it and played through the entire demo up to about level 5. Horseback riding is tough, but more realistic than i've seen. Horses actually have forward momentum, so no turning on a dime. Start out as a basic character and pick your skills to become a certain class. Magic users (different schools), archer, fighter, thief types. I went with melee for the demo.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 22, 2007, 03:10:39 PM

Oblivion rip off.

Pretty straight forward Oblivion rip off or is there any of the Gothic series in there too?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »

Feels more Gothic like than Oblivion like.

I grabbed the demo late last night and played around with it.  the thing that's irritating me the most (other than having to install the Aegia PhsyX crap even if I don't have the card) is the grass and flowers-  they didn't do 3D models for it so you can circle around a flower and see the same 2D artwork move with you.  I'm going to try the demo some more tonight, but it's putting me on the fence about the game.  Oh, and I also uninstalled the PhysX stuff so I might not be able to run the demo anyways.

I noticed it also did a bunch of stuff with DirectX as part of the install (alot more than usual), and hopefully it didn't mess up anything.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »

I'll give it a whirl (the demo) once I get done with BioShock.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »

Still no reviews out there.  It looks like it'll be here tomorrow, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2007, 06:53:01 PM »

I'll d/l the demo tonite and might give it a whirl after my Bioshock session ends tonite.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 01:10:01 AM »

well, I got the call from Gamestop saying it'd be in tomorrow afternoon, and then got another call saying there may have been a shipping mistake and they may not have it tomorrow afternoon but maybe Saturday.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 01:18:28 AM »

They're giving you every opportunity to reconsider man... take the hint!!   paranoid

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:29 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 24, 2007, 01:18:28 AM

They're giving you every opportunity to reconsider man... take the hint!!   paranoid

I know.  I went to replay the demo last night but it wouldn't run cause I removed that PhysX crap, and I had deleted the setup files already.  worst case I'm out 50 bucks.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2007, 01:42:39 AM »

You realize that the Ageia physics isn't just for hardware, it is also a software physics middleware solution, right?  It's just that they also have a hardware board to help accelerate it or add further enhancements.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2007, 03:55:01 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 24, 2007, 01:42:39 AM

You realize that the Ageia physics isn't just for hardware, it is also a software physics middleware solution, right?  It's just that they also have a hardware board to help accelerate it or add further enhancements.

I kinda figured that out after I couldn't play the demo and it said it was looking for some physx dll  icon_wink
 I don't think I have any other games that ever used it, so I just thought it was going to be an useless process for something I don't have running in the background.  When I saw something about it showing up in the system tray I decided to axe it.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 24, 2007, 03:55:01 AM

I kinda figured that out after I couldn't play the demo and it said it was looking for some physx dll  icon_wink
 I don't think I have any other games that ever used it, so I just thought it was going to be an useless process for something I don't have running in the background.  When I saw something about it showing up in the system tray I decided to axe it.

Doesn't bioshock uses that software?  I could have sworn when I d/l the PC demo it had to install that on my rig to play the demo.  Anyway, tried the demo last night and I'm not impressed...I'll wait for impressions

NiM$
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:15 PM »

The last 3 games i've installed in my system have used this. GRAW2, 2worlds and MOH.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 24, 2007, 01:58:22 PM

Doesn't bioshock uses that software?  I could have sworn when I d/l the PC demo it had to install that on my rig to play the demo.  Anyway, tried the demo last night and I'm not impressed...I'll wait for impressions

I grabbed the Steam version of the demo, and BS (non Steam)  is running fine after I uninstalled it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2007, 03:06:48 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 24, 2007, 02:03:15 PM

The last 3 games i've installed in my system have used this. GRAW2, 2worlds and MOH.

2 Worlds will be the first for me.  I passed on GRAW2 and haven't downloaded the MOH demo yet.  You'd think they'd be able to integrate the PhsyX stuff into their programming so it didn't have to run as an outside process.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »

Someone just brought the 360 version in and we played a bit.  Once the singing started on the main menu I knew we were in for a treat.  I should probably just stop there ninja2
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 24, 2007, 04:54:58 PM

Someone just brought the 360 version in and we played a bit.  Once the singing started on the main menu I knew we were in for a treat.  I should probably just stop there ninja2

So you like?

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2007, 05:17:02 PM »

come on, spill it, oblivion boy!   make with the initial impressions or be prepared to have your every post dogged by yours truly!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 24, 2007, 05:17:02 PM

come on, spill it, oblivion boy!   make with the initial impressions or be prepared to have your every post dogged by yours truly!

Or I'll dog you too. I'd love to hear how the two games compare, and you're a great way to find out, kathode. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »

I don't want to be too harsh.  I had to go back and delete out some of my meaner statements.  I mean honestly, these games are hard as hell to make.  I'm glad people are even trying.  That said, my first impressions were very negative.  The visuals are maybe slightly above Gothic 2 level, and there are small glitches all over.  The landscape extends nicely into the distance, but if you thought Oblivion had bad pop-up and loading pauses, prepare to realize how spoiled you've been.  The framerate was poor throughout as well.  The translation is... rough, and voice acting is as you'd expect.  My favorite part is going swimming in some little pond, and when you get in the water the character goes "Oooh, that's wet!" smile  The shrieks of the goblin things are unbelievable.  The guy playing was very frustrated with the controls and had trouble rotating the camera around.

I only watched someone else play, and for 20-30 minutes at that.  So really the visuals and the audio are all I can comment on.  That's a little unfair since this is obviously set up to be a bit of a deeper game.  Once we started to get into a town things got better.  We talked to some folks about orcs and mages and stuff.  They pack a bunch of people on the screen.  Of course a bunch of them are visually identical but you know, the feel is ok.  Some guy who had a really weird helmet on talked to us and said something like "We're watching you.  We'll come for you soon."  Stuff like that is kinda cool.  It seems like one of those big fantasy worlds you could get into.  I just don't think I'll be giving up my big shiny self-appointed crown anytime soon slywink  The worrying part is that I've read elsewhere that the story isn't that great, and that the game actually has more in common with something like Sacred rather than Oblivion.  I didn't play Sacred extensively so I'm not really qualified to make the comparison.  In any case, I'm going to see what he thinks on Monday again after playing this weekend.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »

I just finished installing the PC version.  After a quick nap I'll fire it up and see if it is worth it.

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2007, 02:40:17 AM »

I rented it from Blockbuster today.

Half an hour after popping it in when I got home, I wished there were a "lemon" game rental return policy. Tongue

"Rough" doesn't begin to describe the game. So much potential, but the interface was obviously built for the pc and then shoehorned onto the 360 (unlike the opposite which is typically the norm these days). Soundtrack really doesn't feel appropriate to the action/story/moment. The framerate is inconsistent enough (especially when the action speeds up) to dampen my enjoyment of the game. The voice acting... ugh. The controls are rough as well (they don't feel very precise at all).

There seems to be the making of an interesting story, the overal graphic/art design is nice, the seamless indoor/outdoor transitions are nice, and it definitely seems to have fairly deep character development. So it's not bad. It's just really, really rough. This game needs some serious optimization and polish, and it'd be a gem.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2007, 03:48:27 AM »

I've heard there are definite issues with the 360.  Did they give you a manual with the rental?  It's actually a decent length (68 pages, maybe 8 of those credits and wasted space) for a change.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2007, 04:30:36 AM »

That's too bad about the 360 issues.  I kind of expected my PC to have trouble running it smoothly and such, but figured that would all be gone with the 360 version.  That being said, other than the terrible singing/music in the menus, I didn't find the demo to be that bad.  Not what would be called 'AAA', but not crap either. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2007, 05:15:13 AM »

Played some of it without reading the manual.  Wow, this game is hard, I mean Gothic hard.  The first portion you have to kill 2 goblin like creatures called 'Groms'.  Good thing there's re-spawn points because they wiped the floor with me.  I have the feeling this game is going to be a blast once I get used to the system though.

Random thoughts:

Enemies can re-appear at night as ghosts (which seem to be much harder to kill).
Forsooth!  Methinks the developers went a bit overboard with the Olde Language.  Pray tell, what do ye all think?
There are some interesting skills you can invest in, like Dirty Trick, which at level 1 kicks dirt up into your opponents face.
According to the manual there are mages you can pay to 'brainwash' you so you can reset a skill to zero and re-use any points you put into it.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2007, 11:46:10 PM »

Just got this for the 360. Never have I wanted to quit a game so much in the first 1 hour of play. Thankfully I didn't do it.
Sure gets addicting if you stick with it.

I saw the guide in EB when I bought the game, and I had the feeling it might be one game worth having it for. I think I'm right.
I'm going to get the guide this week-end. I really think this game is so deep with many nuances that having a guide will add to the game not take away from it.

Anyone buy the guide yet?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2007, 12:02:30 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 11, 2007, 11:46:10 PM

Just got this for the 360. Never have I wanted to quit a game so much in the first 1 hour of play. Thankfully I didn't do it.

I saw the guide in EB when I bought the game, and I had the feeling it might be one game worth having it for. I think I'm right.
I'm going to get the guide this week-end. I really think this game is so deep with many nuances that having a guide will add to the game not take away from it.

there's a guide?  meh, I'm going to have to resist.  I'm having too much fun discovering stuff on my own.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2007, 12:17:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2007, 12:02:30 AM

Quote from: Arclight on September 11, 2007, 11:46:10 PM

there's a guide?  meh, I'm going to have to resist.  I'm having too much fun discovering stuff on my own.

Yeah, I think I can count on two fingers how many game guides I've bought. For some reason I have a feeling a game guide for this one might be fun to have.........But you're right, some stumbling, bumbling exploration with trial and error is part of the fun. The guid looks really well written with great pic's....Ok, I'll shut up about the guide........You guys sure you aint gonna get it? ok, ok, I'm going......... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2007, 12:32:19 AM »

i actually liked the game.  okay, it locks up for noticeable load times, and somewhat  frequently also.  the quest log is annoying and scrolls way too slow.  the graphics are okay with a ton of pop in.  you can only use three spells at a time (but swap new ones in and out at will).  and theres one HELL of a crime bug.  other than that ( smile ) its not bad.

its basically like a combination of diablo (loot and skill system, plus character stats) and oblivions (open world, tons of quests, factions).  but obviously not NEARLY as good as either.  the worlds is HUGE.  the horse riding will piss you off to no end until you realize horses have a lot of inertia and dont like to go downhill sideways smile.  if this game were bargain price it would be great as a diversion / time killer.  not because of a lack of content because its huge as i said but because of polish.

oh and things bethesda can learn from this game.  1) RAGDOLL DAMNIT!  i love the ragdoll and wish elder scrolls had it.  2) quests.  on two fronts - one this game does a nice job of making fetch quests and there and back agains feel like more than that - and also the game doesnt hold your hand like oblivion did.  it was nice never being lost in oblivion but christ i could follow that damn arrow and never once look at the screen.  this game does a great job of giving you the general area, let you do the exploring and then putting the exact location up once you get into the general (and generous) proximity.  its a nice blend and because the world is so huge its a good mix of "wow i explored and found it myself" and "awesome i didnt just pixel hunt a location for 8 hours because i have no f%$#ing clue where to go"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: