http://gamingtrend.com
December 06, 2016, 06:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renegade Ops  (Read 6335 times)
mirage775
Gaming Trend Senior Member

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 28, 2011, 06:10:10 PM

Quote from: mirage775 on October 28, 2011, 05:41:02 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 28, 2011, 04:50:23 PM

I believe Mission 9 is the last mission. The menu has a "downloadable content" listing, so hopefully further missions are in the cards. I don't pretend to think it's going to sell a zillion copies on Steam, esp. given all the complaints about keyboard driving (the Steam forum is full of that), but hopefully it'll sell enough on all platforms to justify some DLC.

We should try hardcore mode at some point. I probably wouldn't last long with fewer lives to spare, since I frequently go driving off cliffs to my doom.  icon_razz

I guess I'll have to order some gamepad online. The only thing I've seen in stores is the expensive wireless MS XBox360ish controller for Windows, which seems overkill for me.
I got mine at Best Buy for like $20-$25 bucks
Was it this Logitech one? That's the only one that BB stores seem to stock.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+F310+Gamepad/1260591.p?id=1218243758834&skuId=1260591

Yep, that's mine!

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »

btw, apparently the game only supports "5.1" or basic sound. Some players using speakers or USB headsets with "7.1" sound are having a lot of crashing problems.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203072
It's not specifically the g35 [USB headphones], although I am using one myself, it's the fact that you're trying to use 7.1 audio when the game only supports stereo or possibly 5.1. Instead of just using lower quality within the game, it freaks out and crashes.

If you have the ability to manually change to stereo or 5.1 mode in your computer settings, or swap to a different set of audio hardware you can solve the crash.

I however have no other options available at the moment and I refuse to use onboard audio. Hopefully they will release a fix for this, but I'm not planning on it. The last 3 games to have this issue never patched it because it wasn't widespread enough for them to care.
So I guess if you're using a fancy speaker system, USB headsets or a "real" soundcard, it might have issues.

I don't get the impression they tested this game on a wide variety of PC systems -- yeah yeah, the beauty of consoles. icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:31:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
-Killing Floor 2 (Steam early access)
-Everspace (Steam early access)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+F310+Gamepad/1260591.p?id=1218243758834&skuId=1260591

Personally I would just spend the extra $4 and get the official one unless you really want the more PS3-like setup of the Logitech one.  Say what you will about Microsoft, but the 360 controller is really high quality and would probably be my favorite gamepad ever. 

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

I never owned an XBox360 (crazy!) and have only used the controller maybe once or twice in a store. None of my local stores seem to carry the XBox360 controllers around here, so if I'm going to make an impulse buy, it'll probably have to be the Logitech. I mean, Mirage was running circles all over me, so it must be good right?  icon_smile Hmmm, it is a few bucks cheaper at Target though:
http://www.target.com/p/Logitech-F310-Gamepad/-/A-13670128

Though I've never particularly been crazy about PS-style controllers - just got used to them. I was pretty upset when Gravis decided to change its simple 4-button gamepad design to a PS1 clone oh so many years ago.  tear For years I used these programmable Saitek SFX gamepads, but they didn't really have native gamepad support per se (you had to assign key presses to the buttons/pad).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:58:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 28, 2011, 07:34:33 PM

Personally I would just spend the extra $4 and get the official one unless you really want the more PS3-like setup of the Logitech one.  Say what you will about Microsoft, but the 360 controller is really high quality and would probably be my favorite gamepad ever. 

The Official 360 controller was like $60 bucks or so, when I bought this one...

mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 28, 2011, 07:27:24 PM

btw, apparently the game only supports "5.1" or basic sound. Some players using speakers or USB headsets with "7.1" sound are having a lot of crashing problems.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2203072
It's not specifically the g35 [USB headphones], although I am using one myself, it's the fact that you're trying to use 7.1 audio when the game only supports stereo or possibly 5.1. Instead of just using lower quality within the game, it freaks out and crashes.

If you have the ability to manually change to stereo or 5.1 mode in your computer settings, or swap to a different set of audio hardware you can solve the crash.

I however have no other options available at the moment and I refuse to use onboard audio. Hopefully they will release a fix for this, but I'm not planning on it. The last 3 games to have this issue never patched it because it wasn't widespread enough for them to care.
So I guess if you're using a fancy speaker system, USB headsets or a "real" soundcard, it might have issues.

I don't get the impression they tested this game on a wide variety of PC systems -- yeah yeah, the beauty of consoles. icon_smile

I have one of those fancy 5.1 surround sound set ups, lol!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on October 28, 2011, 08:27:58 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 28, 2011, 07:34:33 PM

The Official 360 controller was like $60 bucks or so, when I bought this one...
I think he means the one that's for XBox360 but will work on PCs too (the wireless "for Windows" controller costs $50-$60 most places). The stores around here just don't seem to stock that, though I could certainly order it.

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »

I picked up the Logitech. Funnily enough, Vista installs it as an "XBox360 Controller"  smirk

While it's great driving with either the gamepad or the left thumbstick, I never have been good at aiming precisely with a console controller thumbstick and so far that's still the Achille's Hill for me here. But I think I can live with it. It's as if I need a half-controller so that I can move with a thumbstick but aim with the mouse.  icon_neutral Even with a gamepad installed, you can actually use your mouse to aim during the opening hovercrafts sequence. Once it switches to vehicle though, mouse aiming's off.

Also, I'd been complaining about figuring out the orientation of some of the vehicles (what's the front?), and with a gamepad, the game seems to have this little illuminated ring around your vehicle that blinks a bit when moving forward. It definitely didn't when I was using keys.
============
Just finished Mission 9 with a pickup group. I see now the ramps where I got lost. And with a gamepad it's a lot less frustrating.  icon_smile I actually wish that map was longer though. We finished it in about 15 minutes and some of the earlier missions felt a lot more epic than that.

*I can't finish Mission 5 solo (Normal difficulty) to save my life. I just wish the timers were a bit more generous there. I'm definitely doing much, much better with the gamepad on it though. Just can't quite slug my way through everything in time to reach various timed objectives.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:52:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2011, 05:36:48 AM »

I put in a lot of online pickup games, and now I'm just crazy about the cheapy Logitech gamepad.  icon_smile I guess the key is now I focus more on maneuvering to line up the shot, rather than frantically trying to aim perfectly with my turret. It's a lot easier with the thumbstick to sort of hold your position for a few seconds and then go.

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 29, 2011, 01:50:02 AM

I picked up the Logitech. Funnily enough, Vista installs it as an "XBox360 Controller"  smirk

While it's great driving with either the gamepad or the left thumbstick, I never have been good at aiming precisely with a console controller thumbstick and so far that's still the Achille's Hill for me here. But I think I can live with it. It's as if I need a half-controller so that I can move with a thumbstick but aim with the mouse.  icon_neutral Even with a gamepad installed, you can actually use your mouse to aim during the opening hovercrafts sequence. Once it switches to vehicle though, mouse aiming's off.

Also, I'd been complaining about figuring out the orientation of some of the vehicles (what's the front?), and with a gamepad, the game seems to have this little illuminated ring around your vehicle that blinks a bit when moving forward. It definitely didn't when I was using keys.
============
Just finished Mission 9 with a pickup group. I see now the ramps where I got lost. And with a gamepad it's a lot less frustrating.  icon_smile I actually wish that map was longer though. We finished it in about 15 minutes and some of the earlier missions felt a lot more epic than that.

*I can't finish Mission 5 solo (Normal difficulty) to save my life. I just wish the timers were a bit more generous there. I'm definitely doing much, much better with the gamepad on it though. Just can't quite slug my way through everything in time to reach various timed objectives.

Glad you like the controller man!  You'll get better with the driving/shooting! 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »

Finally made a single player breakthrough of sorts, completing Mission 2:

I hardly played solo Thursday-Friday at all. I'm hoping everyone here had a Halloween Party to go to, rather than everyone already lost interest in the game over night.  icon_smile I posted a little plea for co-op buds at the Steam forum and did a couple friend invites today.

Anyway, I did some solo stuff out of necessity and eventually paid off. The "air attack girl" I still find tricky to drive, but once you upgrade her special air attack (including one that auto-targets everything in a x radius of you and fires off immediately with no delay), it's quite awesome. Plus you don't have to fiddle-aim to use it.

I upgraded the shield car guy to the point his shield (glimpsed here) reflects missiles back at his attackers. Which is fun, but does take a while to be effective. Or you can sort of shut the shield up selectively when a big missile is about to hit you.

Couple things took me a while to realize:
-The Tactical upgrades are limited in the # in effect (slots are shown in lower left), and you select which upgrades you want in place (checkmark). You can unequip and re-equip stuff before starting a mission.

*So, I just mistakenly assumed Gunnar got to use all that stuff in the Tactics column. But if I wanna use some of those, I gotta remove the checkmarks from those two equippable skills in the other columns there. Duh.  retard

-Somehow I was misreading the special equipments meter as something that built up as you destroyed things. Instead it's a cooldown meter, though it seems to work diff for the various attacks. Like, I think on the Shield and Heavy Gun (Gunnar) characters, the meter shows how long you can use the special attack. It seems like with the air attack girl, you need the meter fully "charged" so to speak, for her to unleash an air attack (you can't do a "partial" air attack per se).

Some of the upgrades speed up that cooldown process. So I finally in solo mode, just do some twiddling of thumbs on occasion for a few seconds to let the special attack meter build back up. Double duh.  retard
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:02:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2011, 02:14:37 PM

-The Tactical upgrades are limited in the # in effect (slots are shown in lower left), and you select which upgrades you want in place (checkmark). You can unequip and re-equip stuff before starting a mission.
*So, I just mistakenly assumed Gunnar got to use all that stuff in the Tactics column. But if I wanna use some of those, I gotta remove the checkmarks from those two equippable skills in the other columns there. Duh.  retard

Huh, I guess I didn't realize that at all either!  Duh.  I wonder how much more effective I will be once I re-juggle those active skills.  Some of them seemed like passive bonuses/upgrades, so I guess that is why I just assumed they were automatically applied when you upgraded.  If I have to only choose 3 or 4 of those from the whole list that's going to suck.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2011, 07:06:10 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 30, 2011, 04:25:48 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2011, 02:14:37 PM

*So, I just mistakenly assumed Gunnar got to use all that stuff in the Tactics column. But if I wanna use some of those, I gotta remove the checkmarks from those two equippable skills in the other columns there. Duh.  retard

Huh, I guess I didn't realize that at all either!  Duh.  I wonder how much more effective I will be once I re-juggle those active skills.  Some of them seemed like passive bonuses/upgrades, so I guess that is why I just assumed they were automatically applied when you upgraded.  If I have to only choose 3 or 4 of those from the whole list that's going to suck.
Yeah, I guess the good thing is flexiblity. If you don't use the secondary weapon at all you can ignore that "tree," and if you're all about special weapons (as I am), you can throw the checkmarks in that column. But there are some things like getting an extra life, or having a few seconds "life after death" once per life, that are really useful and hard to let go of.  icon_smile
===========

I've used Windows Movie Maker to stitch together some fraps videos from chopper combat. The HD version is huge (197MB), and I'm going to see whether YouTube allows downloads that big.  icon_cool Control issues aside, it really is such an awesome looking, sounding and animated game. Really wanna show it off.  icon_smile

I'm uploading it now. It'll take a while. The gang here (EngineNo9, Mirage, Caine) is glimpsed in the very last segment.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:24:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »

Here's my compilation video. I believe this is 1280X720 HD, so change that number from 360 to 720 and click the largest video size option. And crank up the sound.  icon_cool

Renegade Ops helicopter combat gameplay movie compilation (PC version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdOMSuWoK3A
*I disabled comments given that about 99% of comments on YouTube are jerk-ish, to put it kindly.  icon_razz

You'll notice a blurring effect on the Africa sequences. I think that's intentional, to suggest extreme heat of the climate. I don't think it's like that in the rest of the game, but I could be wrong.
===============================
Man, I didn't realize a 4-pack is only $29.99 (about $7.50 per copy). Since EngineNo9 got me in for free, maybe I'll "pay it forward" and dole out a 4 pack. If nothing else, it'll increase my chances of finding co-op teammates.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:42:58 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »

Got a nice 4 player game going for four missions (missions 6-9) last night:

Nobody ever got disconnected. Think it proves my theory the game's fine on weekdays but something about weekend Internet traffic disagrees with it.

Fiddling with the scoreboard filters finally got my name to show up.  icon_redface smirk

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »

While it's apparently not helping everybody's situation, a new 14MB patch came out today and at least for some folks fixed freezing problems they were having:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2215465

Supposedly the USB headset crash bug was also fixed, along with 7.1 audio problems.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:15:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »

Bought the game last night and it's awesome.  The graphics really look nice and the explosions are really cool.   

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2011, 05:30:05 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 04, 2011, 11:51:14 PM

Bought the game last night and it's awesome.  The graphics really look nice and the explosions are really cool.  
Glad you like it.  icon_smile I'm trying to put together a couple more videos. One with nothing but 3 and 4 player co-op, the other giving short video examples of the various special attacks.

But the multiplayer de-synching problem is really killing the game's online component at this point. I wish Avalanche would figure something out.

I've tried getting into Hardcore mode in co-op games but it's just too exasperating, and to me the game's too challenging to be fun with that stingy a # of lives and at a tougher difficulty level. I'm happier just sticking with the Normal game.

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »

Better late than never...

Renegade Ops Updated
http://store.steampowered.com/news/6932/
- Fixed an audio issue that affected audio clarity
- Fixed an issue with multi-player that should result in more overall stability
- Closing the application should no longer result in an error
- Fixed an error that caused the game to close to a black screen
- Fixed an error that caused the redistributable install files to stall during the initial game install.
- Fixed an audio crash issue affecting certain 7.1 sound setups
- Fixed an issue that caused the demo to not launch correctly

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2011, 02:31:16 AM »

Xmas loot-wise, my mom let me choose the XBox360 wireless-for-PC controller. I'll at some point definitely give this and LOTR: War in the North a whirl with it.   icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2011, 11:38:07 PM »

Looks like there were two DLC packs released for this today, the Coldstrike Campaign which is obviously a new campaign for $4.99, and the Reinforcements Pack which contains two new characters for $2.99.  Hopefully they go on sale during the current Steam sale.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:01 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2011, 02:31:16 AM

Xmas loot-wise, my mom let me choose the XBox360 wireless-for-PC controller. I'll at some point definitely give this and LOTR: War in the North a whirl with it.   icon_smile

As a long-time user of the 360 wireless receiver for Windows, I'll give you a tip; always disable rumble in any game you're using it with. Rumble isn't supported when the 360 wireless is used with Windows and consequently some games struggle with that. A few -here's looking at you Magicka- won't work with it all and even occassionally CTD. Other than that though, the controller works flawlessly and controls Windows games very nicely. slywink

I just got this game for XBLA and I'm sort of sorry I didn't go for the Windows version. If it gets discounted in the Steam sale I'll likely pick it up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2011, 03:07:17 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 19, 2011, 11:38:07 PM

Looks like there were two DLC packs released for this today, the Coldstrike Campaign which is obviously a new campaign for $4.99, and the Reinforcements Pack which contains two new characters for $2.99.  Hopefully they go on sale during the current Steam sale.
For a change, I'll show Gaming Trend some link love...

New Villains, Heroes Deploy to Renegade Ops
http://gamingtrend.com/2011/12/19/new-villains-heroes-deploy-in-renegade-ops/
As the Renegade Ops storyline continues, the plot thickens with a new nemesis, Coldstrike. The Coldstrike Campaign pack contains three new icy levels and challenges, with the aim to defeat the cold-hearted enemy in arctic environments. Watch out for the Golems, large armored Drone factories that continuously produce low-flying enemies.

And what would a new bad guy be without a couple new recruits to help the old crew take them on.  Arriving alongside the Coldstrike Campaign, the Vehicle Pack will add two new war-buggies to the Renegade Ops arsenal with their own special abilities and customizable upgrade paths.

The Vehicle Pack introduces new heroes Crystal and Blazemo; both join the elite fighting unit equipped with their own unique abilities and weapons to help wreak ultimate destruction on their enemies. Military operative Crystal comes to the team with her custom armored vehicle and her ability to produce a large force field, absorbing enemy weapons to give you and your team time to breathe. Navigating Blazemo’s off-road Racer enables you to drive across all terrains while destroying everything in your path. Blazemo gets his name from the catastrophic damage caused by burning environments and enemies with a stream of intense fire from his special weapon, the Incinerator.
The timing (day of SWTOR's launch!) seems positively hellish -- "hey let's put the new DLC out the day SWTOR launches!" -- but hey, it's a console game first and foremost so they probably weren't worrying about that.

And while that all sounds fine, what the PC version desperately needed were some technical updates to make co-op games more reliable connection-wise.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:09:48 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:37 AM »

I swear I didn't order Coldstrike or Reinforcements but they're available to me. I'm wondering if maybe they gifted it to preorder customers or something of the original release? Forums suggest they gave both DLC free to anyone who bought Renegade Ops before about Dec. 20.

So if you haven't played your Renegade Ops because, say, SWTOR took over your life for a few weeks  icon_redface, you might log back in and see if you have these DLC in place. For $5, the new 3-mission mini campaign is awfully short. But they are pretty cool snowy environments.

Still blows up real good:  icon_cool

Nice cameo, but I think he's missing some reindeer  smirk

Oh and I finally broke out the Xbox360 Windows wireless controller my mom had gotten me for Xmas. Works great. Maybe there's something to this XBox360 thing afterall.  smirk Actually, the real reason I never got one was fear of the Red Rings O' Death.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:50:03 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2012, 03:53:08 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 27, 2012, 03:47:37 AM

I swear I didn't order Coldstrike or Reinforcements but they're available to me. I'm wondering if maybe they gifted it to preorder customers or something of the original release? Forums suggest they gave both DLC free to anyone who bought Renegade Ops before about Dec. 20.

So if you haven't played your Renegade Ops because, say, SWTOR took over your life for a few weeks  icon_redface, you might log back in and see if you have these DLC in place. For $5, the new 3-mission mini campaign is awfully short. But they are pretty cool snowy environments.

hmmm, just checked and I definitely have them.  I don't remember buying them unless they were included with a bundle when I bought the game.  still haven't fired it up yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »

there was an xmas sale achievement tied to shooting santa out of the sky.  the rest of the campaign seems a bit more difficult than the base game from what I can tell, even using the same character I leveled up to almost max.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »

Yeah, I enjoy the environmental gimmick where blasting these ice generator things freezes up the water around them (giving you a "bridge" to the next area). Really enjoy it but if it was hard to find any co-op players before, it's pretty much impossible now. I did the first two DLC mishes but haven't quite been able to complete the last one solo so far.

Also, even with an XBox360 gamepad, steering remains as graceful as a drunken giraffe on roller skates on ice.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:01:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »

There is a good Postmortem over at Gamasutra for this game if you're up for some interesting reading.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 12, 2012, 10:47:06 PM

There is a good Postmortem over at Gamasutra for this game if you're up for some interesting reading.
Cool though this part kind of saddens me:
In regards to the third goal, Renegade Ops ended up with a Metacritic of 81. I am happy with the score, and feel it is a fair number to land on when I attempt to look at the game objectively. However, since the goal was set at 85, this is clearly something we failed to deliver on.
Really? Devs sit around discussing the Metacritic score they wish to achieve?  saywhat Waste of time, imho.

And this was an "ah ha" moment:
These are areas of the game that we really did not have time to implement to the same level as the games core features. If we had dropped one or two of them at an earlier stage, it would have saved us a tremendous amount of time, and the remaining features would have had a chance to reach a much higher level of quality.

Alternatively, we could have used that time to implement some systems that were planned to be a part of the core experience -- such as a checkpoint system within each level, so that players wouldn't have to restart the entire mission after failing, or the "skip in-game cutscene" feature, which we were forced to remove very late in development due to the amount of bugs it caused.
I loved the game, and when I could find anyone online to play it with (Steam), it was a blast in co-op. My biggest beef on the PC side was the dev's complete failure to provide any sort of communications with the player community. It had its own dedicated forum at Steam. But the only way anyone ever got any answers to anything was harassing some poor community rep guy on Twitter who had no direct involvement in making the game.

So when there were problems getting online play to work reliably or major problems with certain video cards, they made no discernible effort to communicate with the playerbase, and I bet plenty of people just gave up on the game and moved on when they had technical issues. To their credit, they did patch the game and fix some things. I just wish they had better communicated to players about it.

I guess the dev would probably blame it on the publisher, and maybe as an XBLA-first title they really didn't care about the Steam version or PC players.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:39:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 13, 2012, 04:33:26 PM

Cool though this part kind of saddens me:
In regards to the third goal, Renegade Ops ended up with a Metacritic of 81. I am happy with the score, and feel it is a fair number to land on when I attempt to look at the game objectively. However, since the goal was set at 85, this is clearly something we failed to deliver on.
Really? Devs sit around discussing the Metacritic score they wish to achieve?  saywhat Waste of time, imho.

Some studios have it written into their contracts as bonus triggers.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: